Author Topic: Availability of Topre boards and switches  (Read 2640 times)

Offline proselytiser

Availability of Topre boards and switches
« on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:53:00 »
I've been a happy owner of a TKL, variable weight, silent Realforce for a couple of years now.

I love it, and can't imagine ever using anything else.

But I'm worried about replacing it if anything ever goes wrong with it. I haven't seen these in stock anywhere online of late.

Should I be worried about these things disappearing from the market and never coming back?
wtb PBT Topre spacebars (prefer black) [PM me if you have any to sell]

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless Variable Silent (x2)

Offline raymogi

Re: Availability of Topre boards and switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:59:02 »
I always see them in stock over at Amazon, or even eBay. So don't you worry :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 02:02:04 »
I've been a happy owner of a TKL, variable weight, silent Realforce for a couple of years now.

But I'm worried about replacing it if anything ever goes wrong with it. I haven't seen these in stock anywhere online of late.

Should I be worried about these things disappearing from the market and never coming back?

i have a friend who loved those intellimouse explorer 3. he bought like 5 of them like 10 years ago. in case they would go out of production. Microsoft upgraded a little, but it has not gone out of production yet. not sure if he is happy or sad he did it. Me on the other hand would not buy something twice unless i have to.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 05:39:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not sure about a silenced 87U, but you could get a conventional 87U and put dental bands or similar on to effectively silence it yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 05:46:53 »
Hypersphere has been making and selling replica Topre silencing rings that work at least as well as the originals. Search around or contact him for details.

These keyboards are incredibly well made. Apart from shine on the Space bar they will keep working unless dropped or otherwise abused.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 05:48:23 »
Hypersphere has been making and selling replica Topre silencing rings that work at least as well as the originals. Search around or contact him for details.

These keyboards are incredibly well made. Apart from shine on the Space bar they will keep working unless dropped or otherwise abused.

And now we have Matt3o's PBT space bars to solve that!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 09:14:19 »
Realforce keyboards are built like tanks. Unless you get one that's bad out of the box, which is something I've never seen, you probably won't need to worry about needing to replace anything.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:45:06 »
Realforce keyboards are built like tanks. Unless you get one that's bad out of the box, which is something I've never seen, you probably won't need to worry about needing to replace anything.

A few of us had received faulty 87U Silents a while back with cracks/defects on the outside case.  EK took care of us though!

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 21:17:49 »
My silenced 87U isn't the only board I use (partly because I've got boards in 3 different places), but it's a beautiful board that gives me a feeling of elegant, understated precision -- always a pleasure to use
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 23:53:58 »
I'm in the same boat. The 87U variable silent is the best keyboard I've ever used (I have two actually) and I wonder if I'll be able to get another in the future.

I'm typing this on my 55g 87U, and it feels great. But it's no variable silent. I enjoy my 55g RF when primarily coding. It feels great and it's snappy, and you're not typing constantly when coding. But if there's a lot of typing to do, the 87U variable or HHKB Pro 2 is the ticket.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 23:56:03 by Macsmasher »

Offline proselytiser

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 01:25:35 »
And now we have Matt3o's PBT space bars to solve that!

Oh my god. Why oh why didn't I hear about this sooner?

Offline TrptJim

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 01:35:10 »
Oh my god. Why oh why didn't I hear about this sooner?

You may still be able to get some preproduction samples. Toss Matt3o a PM. I just received my preproduction black spacebar and I am completely satisfied. Perfect fit and color.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2015, 01:36:45 by TrptJim »

Offline yomammary

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 07:00:54 »
Or people might sell a bunch of them when we get them (soon).
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:13:26 »

i have a friend who loved those intellimouse explorer 3. he bought like 5 of them like 10 years ago. in case they would go out of production. Microsoft upgraded a little, but it has not gone out of production yet. not sure if he is happy or sad he did it. Me on the other hand would not buy something twice unless i have to.

The intellimouse 3.0 went back out of production quite a few years ago now. You can get fakes and re-sprays on ebay still

Offline proselytiser

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 02:23:26 »
I'm in the same boat. The 87U variable silent is the best keyboard I've ever used (I have two actually) and I wonder if I'll be able to get another in the future.

I think I might have been able to secure a second 87U variable silent (at least, it's in the mail, supposedly...)

Peace of mind! For a while, at least...

[Update: Yes, got it in the mail!]
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2015, 23:26:00 by proselytiser »