Author Topic: Novatouch to hhkb or fc660c transplant  (Read 2239 times)

Offline linuxhermit

Novatouch to hhkb or fc660c transplant
« on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 16:42:54 »
Does anyone have a good guide for transplanting the Novatouch stems and stabilizers in a hhkb or a fc660c? I'm just so nervous about doing it. I also heard there are some pads that greatly improve the Novatouch feel, anyone know where to get those?
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Novatouch to hhkb or fc660c transplant
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 17:09:03 »
There are some posts on GH and/or DT about transferring NT sliders into other Topre-switch keyboards. Unless you are quite keen on other form factors or being able to put Cherry mx keycaps on other Topre-switch keyboards, you might want to keep boards such as the HHKB Pro 2 or FC660C as they are.

Regarding improvements for the NT (as well as other Topre-switch keyboards), I've produced Silencing Rings and installed them in my NT, HHKB Pro 2, and RF87UB55. I am quite pleased with the results. You can find the rings by going to eBay and entering "Silencing Rings" in the search box.

There are also alternative silencing treatments for Topre switches, such as ironed soft landing pads and dental bands.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 18:04:40 »
Novatouch to fc is easy peasy for everything as they're both plate mount set ups.  The stabilizer pods swap in whole with no issues and the sliders are easy, too.

HHKB needs a bit of modification for the 2x stabilizers because it's case mounted.  I drilled a couple of holes corresponding to the stabilizer stems on the sliders so it could move unhindered. 

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 14:05:57 »
Regarding improvements for the NT (as well as other Topre-switch keyboards), I've produced Silencing Rings and installed them in my NT, HHKB Pro 2, and RF87UB55. I am quite pleased with the results. You can find the rings by going to eBay and entering "Silencing Rings" in the search box.

I got them ordered for the NT.  Is there a guide somewhere on how to install them properly?
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 19:21:31 »
There's several threads on how to do it. Look at the first 5 or 6 from this Google search: topre silencing mod site:geekhack.org

That'll get you all of the important ones. I'd advise browsing through all of them, as there's some nuggets of information that are quite useful in some of the later posts. I think I ended up using info from 3 different posts/threads before doing mine.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Durvid

• Thunk thunk thunk..
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 19:33:01 »
I did it on both boards. You're welcome to pm me or I can even help you out over video chat if you need.