Author Topic: Keydous NJ98 keyboard review (Kailh BOX Deep Sea Islet)  (Read 2698 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Keydous NJ98 keyboard review (Kailh BOX Deep Sea Islet)
« on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 15:32:21 »
Today we look at the NJ98, a hotswap keyboard with an integrated calculator, of all things! One can only hope these become more commonplace again. Hope you enjoy the video!

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline funkmon

Re: Keydous NJ98 keyboard review (Kailh BOX Deep Sea Islet)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 22:31:15 »
I was quite excited when I saw that calc button. Then I got more excited when I saw the layout. I don't need the nav cluster.

Then I looked at it again. What, they're putting in page up and down, which are already in the numpad, and NOT putting in print screen? Like what? I also use print screen constantly and I don't understand people who don't.

I only use the arrow keys for cursor uses, so I don't need them that much, but am not mad about them existing here, but I do prefer a Keychron K4 style split right shift to make room for up and mushed together modifiers for the rest of the arrows.

So I was still onboard, but was no longer ultra excited. I have a Focus 5001. I bought it for the battlecruiser fun and the calculator. I was all in for this as a calculator.

Then the calculator was dumped behind a function layer. And then it couldn't output to the computer.

I don't like.

Otherwise, this seems like a great board. I would remap delete to print screen, page down to delete, and I guess page up to insert so I can keep the muscle memory. And I would have calc always open the calc function on the keyboard. Always.

Another option would be to remap one of the delete, page down and page up keys to be another calc key to add a simple function layer. So it could be calc opens on keyboard, calc func + calc opens Windows calculator, calc func + numpad enter sends to PC, calc func + operators are a memory tool, and so on.

Other than those nitpicks, this looks like a great keybooooard. It looks awesome, seems well built, love the keycaps, it's all there. It's just...annoying. And it isn't cheap enough for me to rationalize away the annoyances of that layout or the functions in it.

I'm almost there. Like, I literally think if they either shrunk this thing and killed the page up and down wasting space in the middle, or made it a proper full size keyboard, I would buy it. It looks fine for $150, and I guess I can buy some MX style switches to put in it that don't suck. Zeal Clickiez or something.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 16:25:24 »
I was quite excited when I saw that calc button. Then I got more excited when I saw the layout. I don't need the nav cluster.

Then I looked at it again. What, they're putting in page up and down, which are already in the numpad, and NOT putting in print screen? Like what? I also use print screen constantly and I don't understand people who don't.

I only use the arrow keys for cursor uses, so I don't need them that much, but am not mad about them existing here, but I do prefer a Keychron K4 style split right shift to make room for up and mushed together modifiers for the rest of the arrows.

So I was still onboard, but was no longer ultra excited. I have a Focus 5001. I bought it for the battlecruiser fun and the calculator. I was all in for this as a calculator.

Then the calculator was dumped behind a function layer. And then it couldn't output to the computer.

I don't like.

Otherwise, this seems like a great board. I would remap delete to print screen, page down to delete, and I guess page up to insert so I can keep the muscle memory. And I would have calc always open the calc function on the keyboard. Always.

Another option would be to remap one of the delete, page down and page up keys to be another calc key to add a simple function layer. So it could be calc opens on keyboard, calc func + calc opens Windows calculator, calc func + numpad enter sends to PC, calc func + operators are a memory tool, and so on.

Other than those nitpicks, this looks like a great keybooooard. It looks awesome, seems well built, love the keycaps, it's all there. It's just...annoying. And it isn't cheap enough for me to rationalize away the annoyances of that layout or the functions in it.

I'm almost there. Like, I literally think if they either shrunk this thing and killed the page up and down wasting space in the middle, or made it a proper full size keyboard, I would buy it. It looks fine for $150, and I guess I can buy some MX style switches to put in it that don't suck. Zeal Clickiez or something.
Honestly if they un**** the layout, make it a proper fullsize, implement my calculator improvements, maybe even make the screen a bit bigger, and then slot in clickiez (I agree that's the obvious choice here), you've got yourself a fine-ass board, I reckon.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Gareth_SL

• ins:gareth_sl
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 22:03:11 »
Hello Chyros,
Big fan of your review! Do you have something in mind for the next review already?

We are Hong Kong Sour Lemon Technology Co., Ltd. We greatly appreciate the review video you created. Our company specializes in the independent design, development, and production of keycaps, keyboards, figures, storage boxes, and other related products.

This year, we are excited to introduce our latest product: a complete set of 113 resin keycaps featuring luminous effects. The official launch is scheduled for later this month, and we would be honored if you could evaluate it. We are eager to hear your professional opinions and comments.

You can take a look at our keycap set in this post:https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121995.0 .

Thank you in advance for considering our request. We look forward to your response.

Gareth