Author Topic: Dat Nu Xbax and Plaxstayshun (titled tp4 style)  (Read 12831 times)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Dat Nu Xbax and Plaxstayshun (titled tp4 style)
« on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:16:28 »
Can this be true?

How the **** they gonna price this with that kind of power?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:20:14 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Dat Nu Xbax (titled tp4 style)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 13:01:37 »
It seems the closest desktop equivalent would be a zen 2, 3700x  +  5700xt

Mmmmm.... That can definitely hit $3-400 given microsoft's purchasing power,   you can't push much higher than that, because then poor people wouldn't be able to afford the Game discs.

At the highest $500,   600 Mayyybe, I don't think that's a good move.

Ya'll think they're gonna pull a $1000 Apple cellphone move ?

For some perspective,  ON Laptop,  we've seen a 9300h quad core cpu + 1660ti  for $500  to consumer.

Laptops are a good comparison, because they have the smaller motherboards, and smaller power supplies, without overhead on traces to expansion ports, extra expansion features.

So, a 5700xt, $350 (money making price),  a 3700x,   yea , definitely doable for $400-500..

Although, this year wit. korona,  will parents have $$$ for a game console.. mm..

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 14:35:14 »
Yeah. I suspect $500, too. Can't compete w/ your PC with that.

And the 2 models is def a possibility. They could have this one priced $700.

Corona will delay it at least til next year, I'd guess.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:42:48 »
If they just hooked up mouse and keeb to this,  they would INsta-kill PC gaming.

It would Obliterate Steam, there wouldn't be any other software store in america.

I'm sure that's in the plans.. but MS is slow because they're too big with bureaucracy.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 19:03:52 »
I would guess the Lockheart will be $399 and the Anaconda will be $6-799

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 20:49:02 »
I would guess the Lockheart will be $399 and the Anaconda will be $6-799

Do you think this current reveal is anaconda or lockhart.

I think it's prolly anaconda, cuz if you look at that heatsink and the size of the thing, it's not going to push more than 300watts given the cooling solution.

So, unless they have a SUPER xbox that's faster than this one and has a different chassis.. IDK, i guess it's possible.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 21:41:39 »
Yeah. I suspect $500, too. Can't compete w/ your PC with that.
It doesn't have to.

Sure the Xbox is good for gaming for the price but it's not a PC, it's a dedicated gaming system. Let's see your Xbox do video editing, CAD or homework or any other number of things. A PC is a jack of all trades (which it does pretty well) while the Xbox is strictly for gaming.

Being a dedicated system means you can design it more cost effectively, does it need Bluetooth? Does it need 500 watts of power? Audio jacks front and back? Reset button? A dozen USB ports? PCIe slots? Think of all the fans, pcbs, cabling, connectors and labeling all this stuff adds to a PC. That's a lot removed and when you can design a pcb with all of that in mind it becomes even more cost effective if you can do it in bulk enough to justify it.

This is precisely why SBC (single board computers) were so hyped, it cut down on a ton of extra stuff you may or may not need.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 21:50:31 »
It looks like that's just the Lockheart, since the Anaconda is literally two of those gpu boards stacked on top each other.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 08:47:39 »
It looks like that's just the Lockheart, since the Anaconda is literally two of those gpu boards stacked on top each other.

IN the breakdown video , it has 2 boards. one io board and one main, you mean the anaconda will have 2 main boards ?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 12:00:58 »
I meant just as a gaming system, leslie. I wasn't clear enough.

That being said, I enjoy my recent PC build and will continue to geek it up that way.

Also... PS5 details tomorrow.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 12:23:47 »
PS5 details tomorrow.

This is gonna be tough to follow,  xbox haz vapor chamber, custom FEA designed Fan, lots of Ram, and 1TB ssd.

That said, they keep playn' up that ssd, even though it's prolly crummy qlc .. if it's tlc, you can bet the revision will go qlc.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 16:51:22 »

IN the breakdown video , it has 2 boards. one io board and one main, you mean the anaconda will have 2 main boards ?

I believe that to be the case. The thing's got great hardware, especially with that sweet NVMe HD, it really is just a matter of harnessing that through MS endless red tape. They are making good steps with it being totally xcompat with the entire Xbox library(most of it,) even with OG Xbox titles. The thing's got a modular design so future proofing is considered, and I'd bet we see Cortana voice activation for pairing home devices in there too. Now we just need to see some good games, which has always been MS biggest weakness. Even their biggest exclusive franchises are stale and long in the tooth.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 17:21:43 »
People are complaining about the looks being like a trash bin. It actually has a smaller footprint and looks like it will be cooled well with that top fan. Works for me.

The "leaked" ps5 photos make that joint look like binoculars. Or the head of Wall-E.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 17:31:04 »
People are complaining about the looks being like a trash bin. It actually has a smaller footprint and looks like it will be cooled well with that top fan. Works for me.

The "leaked" ps5 photos make that joint look like binoculars. Or the head of Wall-E.

No way that's real.   There must be a good reason if it looks like that, LOL. maybe it has multiple heatsinks and requires a u-bend ?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 17:45:26 »
To warm your coffee?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 17:59:23 »
The PS5 V photos are real, but that is the dev kit. There's no way they use that design for the consumer model, it looks terrible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 18:47:08 »
The PS5 V photos are real, but that is the dev kit. There's no way they use that design for the consumer model, it looks terrible.

I just want to know WHY it looks like that..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 19:17:01 »
It wasn't just directed at you, I see that comment quite a lot.
That said, how long will it remain out front? 6 months, 12?

One other thing, it's a deal, but only if you don't already have a decent computer. You may argue but that's not fair but of you own a decent computer, you own a decent computer, you can't just ignore it to make the xbox more appealing. In my case $500 towards a GPU would make my system an absolute gaming beast.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 21:15:04 »
It wasn't just directed at you, I see that comment quite a lot.
That said, how long will it remain out front? 6 months, 12?

One other thing, it's a deal, but only if you don't already have a decent computer. You may argue but that's not fair but of you own a decent computer, you own a decent computer, you can't just ignore it to make the xbox more appealing. In my case $500 towards a GPU would make my system an absolute gaming beast.

Right now I'd rather put the $500 in my PC, too. Really getting back into BOINC and F@H along with gaming.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 03:09:59 »
You don't need $500 for a decent GPU these days, you could probably get a 1070 for a roll of TP.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:43:52 »
Ya'll saw dat ps5 video ?

10.3 tflop    so it's slower than xbx

16gb ram, but symmetric, 256bit bus,

8core 16thread zen 2,

825gb ssd

Mmmm... I don' think they're gonna be that different. it's basically the same machine.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 04:48:52 »
Very similar, yeah. They are really coming through. I don't know which I'll go with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 08:42:30 »
Very similar, yeah. They are really coming through. I don't know which I'll go with.

Well, for anime-bewb titles, Praystaxon, 

Roided-up 'Murican machomen titles, Xbax.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 13:44:10 »
MS exclusives are garbage and long-in-the-tooth, PS wipes the floor with Xbox on that front and that's where they will win.

Current state of Halo:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:15:07 »
Yep. And supposedly coming in $100 cheaper with just a slightly less powerful gpu and perhaps faster SSD.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:21:42 »
If they just hooked up mouse and keeb to this,  they would INsta-kill PC gaming.

It would Obliterate Steam, there wouldn't be any other software store in america.

I'm sure that's in the plans.. but MS is slow because they're too big with bureaucracy.

If it ran full-blown Windows 10, with no software differences from the PC version, it would become competitive (but that won't happen). Wipe out Steam and kill the PC gaming market? I don't think so myself, especially if it did actually decide to be competitive with unrestricted Windows 10 ... where everyone would prefer to install and use Steam instead of the stupid M$ universal apps. With a neutered console OS, I would still much rather build a $1,500+ computer that I can configure however I like. Those specs sound fantastic though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:24:09 by Maledicted »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Dat Nu Xbax and Plaxstayshun (titled tp4 style)
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:42:41 »
I don't understand why this thread and a lot of other outlets are focused on the hardware. It's almost the least important part of a gaming console, just look at Nintendo.
I suppose there's not much else to talk about because all we've been told about is the hardware.

MS will find it's market niche with xcompat and software sharing with PC titles, they will remain in 3rd place behind Nintendo and Sony because they have no clue on how to penetrate the Global market, they won't have any new fresh or innovative IP's for at least the first year or two, and you can bet there will be at least 3 more iterations of the X1X- A 'pro' version(Anaconda,) a Slim version, and a media-focused version.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 14:56:32 »
Gaming hardware is getting ridiculous. It already has been on the PC to some extent for several years.

Indeed, Nintendo has got a clue. It's the games, stupid!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 15:49:47 »
People want it easy. They want 4k smooth with THEIR fav titles. You are right; it comes down to exclusives.

I just find it fascinating what they are putting into these as far as PC equivalent gear bought in mass quantities and built in a little box. That is all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:01:21 »
Hardware is not more or less important than the software.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 16:51:17 »
Hardware is not more or less important than the software.

Good hardware is meaningless without good software to back it up. ****ty hardware can still run great software and be successful.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 17:13:19 »
I don't understand why this thread and a lot of other outlets are focused on the hardware. It's almost the least important part of a gaming console, just look at Nintendo.
I suppose there's not much else to talk about because all we've been told about is the hardware.

MS will find it's market niche with xcompat and software sharing with PC titles, they will remain in 3rd place behind Nintendo and Sony because they have no clue on how to penetrate the Global market, they won't have any new fresh or innovative IP's for at least the first year or two, and you can bet there will be at least 3 more iterations of the X1X- A 'pro' version(Anaconda,) a Slim version, and a media-focused version.

I absolutely hate Nintendo. I have since the abomination that was the Gamecube. Now, since the Wii, I have looked at the specs ... and then the price, and immediately went, "Seriously? You're serious right now?" And then any interest immediately ceased. Hardware certainly isn't everything, but you should at least try a little bit. All Nintendo cares about is cheap, useless gimmicks, and the throngs of fans obsessed with their 40-year-old IPs. They can keep their handful of fantastic first party exclusives. Not worth the cost of admission, especially if third party games are either almost entirely absent, or terrible.

Sony almost had that situation going on with the PS2. They had a massive library ... of really bad games. There were great games, but not really any more great games than the Xbox had, and of course back then Halo was literally the FPS. I started that generation betting on Sony. I got the PS2, I did love it, especially playing Timesplitters 2 and Metal Gear Solid, but I migrated to the Xbox for Halo and stayed there through the next generation, which was much the same. Though I did buy a PS3 literally just for MGS4 when it came out, and it was worth it.

I don't care about consoles at all anymore though, other than to watch and be amused by how things pan out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 08:12:16 by Maledicted »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 17:24:09 »
I'm by no means a Nintendo fanboy, but it's absurd to overlook the levels of innovation and polish in their first party titles. To dismiss generations of fantastic games because their hardware always ties in gimmicks is doing nothing but depriving yourself of great gaming experiences. Even something done to death and not that innovative like the recent Smash Bros has downright absurd levels of polish to it that you just don't see from other first party developers.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 08:18:10 »
I'm by no means a Nintendo fanboy, but it's absurd to overlook the levels of innovation and polish in their first party titles. To dismiss generations of fantastic games because their hardware always ties in gimmicks is doing nothing but depriving yourself of great gaming experiences. Even something done to death and not that innovative like the recent Smash Bros has downright absurd levels of polish to it that you just don't see from other first party developers.

Yes, I agree completely with the fact that I'm depriving myself of great gaming experiences, and I don't care. I hate Nintendo as a company, on principle. They're the Apple of gaming.

What other first party developers? Does Sony develop games? M$, maybe? I'm pretty sure they still just buy up studios and then publish whatever they churn out. Nintendo makes great games. I have never played a bad first party Nintendo game. I'm just not going to buy a first generation Nvidia Shield with some gimmicky Bluetooth controllers to play them.

The most modern Nintendo console I own is a Wii, which I got many years past its prime, because I had a ton of Gamestop Rewards points that were wasting away, so I got it almost for free. I call it my House of the Dead box, since lightgun games with LCDs is about its only appealing feature.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:45:55 »
Can this be true?

How the **** they gonna price this with that kind of power?

They sell it at a loss i assume.

I got my older generation consoles and pc to play with so i should be fine.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 21:30:59 »
Something else I found today and really makes a difference.

The memory is shared.
It's 16gigs of fast memory but it's shared between GPU and CPU. that's never as good as dedicated.

Also while they both will use an ssd they use a proprietary connector, this will limit updates and mod potential.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 22:37:03 »
Also while they both will use an ssd they use a proprietary connector, this will limit updates and mod potential.

It's almost certainly a format of PCIE.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 05:15:13 »

It is, doesn't mean you can replace it though.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 11:12:52 »
Something else I found today and really makes a difference.

The memory is shared.
It's 16gigs of fast memory but it's shared between GPU and CPU. that's never as good as dedicated.

The question is, is it DDR, or GDDR? I wish consoles would stop doing that to save a buck.

It is, doesn't mean you can replace it though.

I would be surprised if it wasn't some off-the-shelf M.2 drive tossed into some shell with an adapter. I imagine people will be mimicking the filesystem setup within months if that's the case, just like previous console storage devices.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 11:50:37 »
I would be surprised if it wasn't some off-the-shelf M.2 drive tossed into some shell with an adapter. I imagine people will be mimicking the filesystem setup within months if that's the case, just like previous console storage devices.

It will almost certainly have an authentication chip. They've even put these chips in new laptop batteries now to prevent aftermarket batteries..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 18:49:10 »
So it looks like PS5 will only be xcompat with PS4 :(

Extremely disappointing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 20:57:17 »
So it looks like PS5 will only be xcompat with PS4 :(

Extremely disappointing.

Well there's no way they could do ps2 or 3,   ps2 needs special emotion engine chip, ps3 needs cell-processor.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 21:16:46 »
The question is, is it DDR, or GDDR? I wish consoles would stop doing that to save a buck.

At least one of then (xbox and PS) is GDDR, I forget which, the other lacks info. If may be GDDR, but it's still shared. Even if it was faster you have to prioritize the CPU of GPU and you still have to share it. Sharing costs cpu cycles and neither gets all of it.

It may have an M.2 socket, and an M.2 drive may even slide in, doesn't mean they have to wire it based on m.2 standards. They won't make a housing when they can simply change a trace or two, which costs nothing.

The external memory cards, yes those are rumored to be M.2 cards in a custom housing.  If they do what a few people suspect they may do, these are going to be expensive and HORRIBLE to work with.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 17:29:08 »
Doom eternal would look pretty epic on this console when they release it. which they certainly will.

With standardized hardware, they could probably get close to 2080ti lvl performance/ image quality.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 12:55:08 »

It will almost certainly have an authentication chip. They've even put these chips in new laptop batteries now to prevent aftermarket batteries..

At least one of then (xbox and PS) is GDDR, I forget which, the other lacks info. If may be GDDR, but it's still shared. Even if it was faster you have to prioritize the CPU of GPU and you still have to share it. Sharing costs cpu cycles and neither gets all of it.

It may have an M.2 socket, and an M.2 drive may even slide in, doesn't mean they have to wire it based on m.2 standards. They won't make a housing when they can simply change a trace or two, which costs nothing.

The external memory cards, yes those are rumored to be M.2 cards in a custom housing.  If they do what a few people suspect they may do, these are going to be expensive and HORRIBLE to work with.

I would be very, very surprised if they were not off-the-shelf drives. I know of no consoles yet made to date that haven't just had off-the-shelf storage devices that could easily be spoofed. The original Xbox had retail 3.5" IDE/PATA hard drives. The phat PS2's network adapter allowed the installation of any IDE/PATA hard drive. The 360 had retail 2.5" SATA hard drives, even on the slim models. The PS3, for sure, had a retail 2.5" SATA hard drive which Sony even allowed for quick and easy upgrades of. I believe the PS4 is the same? The XB1 had an internal 2.5" SATA hard drive, which could still be easily upgraded once you took the thing apart.

As far as removable media goes, the original Xbox memory cards were USB flash drives with proprietary connectors, same with the 360 memory cards. They could be easily adapted to standard usb to transfer files to and from regular computers. I still have a 360 memory card kicking around somewhere where I literally hacked a USB type A cable up and soldered it directly to the memory card pcb for transferring game saves, back before M$ finally allowed the use of regular flash drives.

Those authenticated batteries have been around for a long time now, at least as long as our high school has been 1:1. Our very first student laptops, the Lenovo X131e, had that feature when they came out maybe 6 or more years ago now. I have never heard of anybody doing that with storage devices. Consoles seem to have always settled for just using a weird filesystem and/or modified/bizarre disk authoring (for optical media), which has almost always been easily worked around.

I worry less about wasted compute cycles and more about the specific purposes of, and characteristics of, different memory types. GDDR's high bandwidth, but higher latency, is not suited for use as system memory, and DDR's lower bandwidth, but lower latency, is not suited for use as video memory. Consoles really need to stop doing that.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 19:34:58 »
I would be very, very surprised if they were not off-the-shelf drives.
Everything I said was taken from insider leaks and photos, from reputable sources, only reason I know is because it came across the news sites I watch.

A hard drive is made by one of three (?) companies, you need a specialized factory to make them and existing ones have enough of a monopoly (tri-opoly) that getting them to make changes in their factory just for you are unlikely. There's also an issue of size, they don't make small, cheap drives (there's no money in those) and I suspect Sony and Microsoft don't actually want large drives in these systems. This will drive more to the cloud and sales of external drives which they can mark up, particularly with a proprietary connector they license.

That's not the case with an ssd, which are mostly a pcb with a few components, PCBs are easy to change on a whim. You can even make them at home with relatively cheap tools.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 19:46:54 »
I would be very, very surprised if they were not off-the-shelf drives.
Everything I said was taken from insider leaks and photos, from reputable sources, only reason I know is because it came across the news sites I watch.

A hard drive is made by one of three (?) companies, you need a specialized factory to make them and existing ones have enough of a monopoly (tri-opoly) that getting them to make changes in their factory just for you are unlikely. There's also an issue of size, they don't make small, cheap drives (there's no money in those) and I suspect Sony and Microsoft don't actually want large drives in these systems. This will drive more to the cloud and sales of external drives which they can mark up, particularly with a proprietary connector they license.

That's not the case with an ssd, which are mostly a pcb with a few components, PCBs are easy to change on a whim. You can even make them at home with relatively cheap tools.

I have followed enough insider leaks over the years to start disregarding them entirely years ago now, you make a good point with SSDs vs mechanical hard drives however, although there was still previous precedent in that regard too when it comes to usb media with the OG Xbox and 360.

I'm pretty sure, if configured correctly, just about any flash drive (with a partition limit of 512mb) could be configured to function with the 360, even before M$ officially supported the partitioning and use of third party flash drives. With the OG Xbox, once modified to run homebrew, and with a custom dashboard installed, I think regular FAT32 flash drives could even be used, maybe even for game saves? They may have had to have a FATX partition for that though. It has been a while.

We`ll see how things turn out.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 06:47:43 »
It'll be interesting to see what system becomes the defacto standard. They're too similar for many people to want both. I suspect that Playstation did so well this generation that the PS5 will win by default. They're still the go to for Japanese developers so they get a ton of exclusives just by virtue of that fact. Microsoft are going to have to get way more exclusives than Forza, Halo etc. to bring in new users.

People apparently talk about backwards compatibility being a big deal but very few people actually use it. If you want PS3 and PS2/1 compatibility you can always buy the consoles they're plentiful and cheap as chips.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2020, 06:49:56 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 10:02:57 »
Quote from: Shapey Fiend link=topic=105159.msg2880334#msg2880334

They're still the go to for Japanese developers so they get a ton of exclusives just by virtue of that fact.

It's more like SONY is holding the Japanese developers HOSTAGE.. I've spoken to many developers, and they've explained the unwritten rule, if they're not on the inside track (gangster gaming companies, like konami), they have to tread carefully to stay favorable to the mob-boss Sony.

Jpn is a very tight Oligarchy ruled by former gangsters gone white.  This is the case with most countries (not just Jpn). For example, United States and UK, government member's heavy involvement in the slave and opium trade.

Sony Toshiba etc, these are all conglomerates of gangsters and former war-criminals (yes the ones who bombed pearl harbor) which the USA propped up post WWII to establish an eastern base.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 18:26:07 »
damn economic recession or not enough always hits when i want to get something...