geekhack Community > Ergonomics

ISO or ANSI?

<< < (2/4) > >>

QWER|key:

--- Quote from: ergonaut on Mon, 30 August 2021, 03:39:03 ---Since you posted this in the ergonomics subforum: Are you interested in the ergonomic aspects of ISO vs ANSI?
--- End quote ---

Yes, very much so. I'm currently a horrible typist, and was planning to learn touch typing properly, so if ANSI has advantages, then I'd be happy to switch from ISO (I'm in the UK).

--- Quote from: ergonaut on Mon, 30 August 2021, 03:39:03 ---If so, I'd have to say that both layouts are super sh!tty in terms of ergonomics, but ANSI is a tiny bit less sh!tty than ISO, due to little details like the bigger left shift key and the closer-to-home enter key.

So if you have to have one of the two, I'd recommend ANSI.

--- End quote ---

I'm starting to agree. Thanks.

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: ergonaut on Mon, 30 August 2021, 03:39:03 ---If so, I'd have to say that both layouts are super sh!tty in terms of ergonomics, but ANSI is a tiny bit less sh!tty than ISO, due to little details like the bigger left shift key and the closer-to-home enter key.

--- End quote ---
On the other hand, the ISO Return/Enter key is a larger target.
I believe the "best" one is actually mostly about which one you have grown used to, the one which you have adapted your typing style and muscle memory to.

vvp:
Or ISO back slash is nearer to the home position. If you type a lot of file paths in windows then you may use backslash more often than enter and ISO turns better.

Or ISO international key is nearer to the home position while left shift is still not that far away. And ANSI does not even have "international key" :-/ You will have it harder if you will ever need to type with some locales other than US.

Both ISO and ANSI are a piece of crap compared to physical key layout of e.g. Kinesis Advantage.

n3my:
Being from the UK, before I knew about custom keyboards I refused to use ANSI layout. I preferred the big enter button to smash whenever I needed it and since I grew up on ISO, it just made sense to stay. However few years later and started to play with custom keyboards and the first one I built was ANSI, because I didn't realize at the time the difference in stabilizers and keycaps needed. After the I got through the learning curved I now really enjoy the layout of the ANSI. Feels more accurate and I don't miss the big enter as much I thought I would.

Sometimes it worth trying both and get a feel what is right for you. Bare in mind different layouts need less or extra parts.

Hope this helps!

iaji:
use ISO and colemak dh with iso mod. I don't know what the fuss about 'custom' or keycaps, though. I don't really care about those things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version