Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643635 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 13:16:44 »
lame. oh well, looking at either getting a white or red ST anyway.

Go with white and then get the HPE300 package from Hennessey. It's a dream daily as far as I'm concerned.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 13:22:45 »
fiesta st* :p
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:47:33 »
My wife and I traded our sedans in for a 2015 Odyssey EX

I HAVE REACHED THE PINNACLE OF PARENTHOOD

Come at me bros

but seriously that thing's bad ass

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:49:48 »
My wife and I traded our sedans in for a 2015 Odyssey EX

I HAVE REACHED THE PINNACLE OF PARENTHOOD

Show Image

Come at me bros

but seriously that thing's bad ass

Do this to it.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:58:04 »
Haha that is so legit

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 22:01:05 »
Haha that is so legit

1000hp at the wheels if I remember correctly. If you want to get your kids and 4 friends to school fast it's the way to go.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:35:21 »
The list at the moment is looking a bit like:
Z4M Coupe
E60 M5
E92 M3
E92 335i or d
Audi S5 (V8)
C63 AMG
Jaguar XK
Lotus Exige S
Porsche Cayman S

I really don't know about the above yet, I need to book some test drives and look at a proper budget. However with fuel prices dropping it is possibly a good time to get something with a bit of grunt.

Cool list but... What's the 335d doing in there?  Seriously, you can safely write that one off and keep only the 335i in your list  :thumb:

I'm not saying the 335d is not a good car but diesel engines are simply not my thing: I don't like the vibrations / feeling diesel engines give to the cars they're in. My father-in-law just bought a new Mercedes and I had no idea it had a diesel engine: he gave me the keys and said "try it"... I turned it on and said, surprised, "Oh, it's a diesel" (well, in french) and he could see I was disappointed. Some people don't mind diesel engine but seen your list, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the other cars more...

The E60 M5 seems like an insanely cool car. I've been thinking about the E63/E64 (?) M6 with that same 5.0l V10 atmo engine but then in my country yearly taxes on such engines are really wayyyy too crazy (something like 5 K EUR every year just to keep your license plate, then you need to pay insurance, etc.).  So as soon as they're a few years old, these cars' value do really fall like mad around here: you have car that were, what, 100K brand new which can be had after a few years for 25K... Because nobody wants them: there are not many people willing to put 25 or 30 K in a car and then have to pay 5K every single year for the "road tax" / "license plate".  Not too mention that the first time it becomes yours, that's another, one-time, 5 K gift to the state (I think it's even more than that: something like 8K: it's dependent on the size of the engine, not its power, so big fat atmo engines are very badly penalized).

So I could buy, say, a 2006 M6 for 30 K but the first year it would cost me, without any insurance, 40 K or even more.  That's 10 K lost immediately. Not too mention insurance costs etc.

If in your country (U.S. ?) you don't have these crazy yearly road taxes for big engines, then a M5 or a M6 with that 5.0l V10 engine seems like something really sweet.
 :)

You should maybe add the M6 too: I find it even better looking than the M5 and even less common (I'm not saying that a M5 is common)  :)

I don't know neither Audi nor Jaguar XK very well but I like your list  :)

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 17:38:21 »

Cool list but... What's the 335d doing in there?  Seriously, you can safely write that one off and keep only the 335i in your list  :thumb:

I'm not saying the 335d is not a good car but diesel engines are simply not my thing: I don't like the vibrations / feeling diesel engines give to the cars they're in. My father-in-law just bought a new Mercedes and I had no idea it had a diesel engine: he gave me the keys and said "try it"... I turned it on and said, surprised, "Oh, it's a diesel" (well, in french) and he could see I was disappointed. Some people don't mind diesel engine but seen your list, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the other cars more...

Torque, lots and lots of it :)

To elaborate, I prefer petrol engines, but there is definitely something to be desired about the 335d.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:30:56 »
I've crossed so many cars off my list mostly because of mpg reasons, but now that gas is pretty heavily sub-$2, my options are now expanded ;) Bouta cop me an NSX
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:34:19 »
I've crossed so many cars off my list mostly because of mpg reasons, but now that gas is pretty heavily sub-$2, my options are now expanded ;) Bouta cop me an NSX

I don't understand this, i recently heard that Americans are buying SUV's again because the gas prices are going down but that sounds kind of silly doesn't it? what happens if/when it goes back up? now you're left with a car that no one wants because of MPG.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:37:38 »

I don't understand this, i recently heard that Americans are buying SUV's again because the gas prices are going down but that sounds kind of silly doesn't it? what happens if/when it goes back up? now you're left with a car that no one wants because of MPG.
yeah, I guess it's just a way to justify me getting one :p But for real since it's my first car it'll probably just end up being some used Camry or something lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:42:38 »

yeah, I guess it's just a way to justify me getting one :p But for real since it's my first car it'll probably just end up being some used Camry or something lol
Join team Ford Escape

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:49:06 »
Do like I did until I had a growned up job and join team hooptie.  Sub-1k cars, throw them away when they inevitably break, lather, rinse, repeat.

Offline kurukato

• Cars>Keyboards
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:50:56 »
Ayy, feelin funky fresh

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 00:12:31 »
that nissan truck, so nice.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:51:24 »
^^I can think of a lot of stuff I'd rather have than a ~$50k jaguar sedan

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:05:31 »
For 50k I'd get a clean FD RX-7 as a weekend/ track car and an 05 WRX wagon for my daily then spend the extra money making them mine. If I could only get one car with the 50k it'd be a 3.0T A6.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:06:56 »
^^I can think of a lot of stuff I'd rather have than a ~$50k jaguar sedan

Dat British Racing Green tho...

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:23:13 »
For 50k I'd get a clean FD RX-7 as a weekend/ track car and an 05 WRX wagon for my daily then spend the extra money making them mine. If I could only get one car with the 50k it'd be a 3.0T A6.

This man knows what's up

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:21:05 »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html?hpid=z2

Pretty sure BMW took crap for doing that with M5s, I personally prefer natural noise even with cars like audis R and RS lines which are both pretty quiet. But I'm a huge audi fanboy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:25:57 »
ford's STs also have that noise enhancement

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:17:18 »
And even some European cars are doing it now. I think Renault do it in some of their "sporty" models

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:21:28 »
Epic fail.

Nothing can beat a cammed, open headers LSX in my book

*yes, I'm deaf. Lost my hearing about 4 years ago

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:00:54 »
I love how I can always tell when the weather is getting better when I hear a healthy gurgle coming from the exhaust; checked the dashboard, and sure enough it was 18°C today!

Anyone else notice their car exhaust becoming more happy and gurgley as the weather gets warmer?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:05:21 »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html?hpid=z2

Pretty sure BMW took crap for doing that with M5s, I personally prefer natural noise even with cars like audis R and RS lines which are both pretty quiet. But I'm a huge audi fanboy.

I believe a lot of people tried to disable it, and it wasn't as straight-forward as a click of a button, and required removal of some module.

Either way, it sounded great to me when I got a ride in the M5 Taxi on the Nürburgring!

What really shocked me was that when we rented out a 530d a few days after, it sounded hauntingly similar... ... not sure if good or bad, I couldn't discern the noise as fake inside the cabin.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:44:51 »
This thread is getting me all riled up. I need to just buy a car one of these days...   :confused:

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 01:00:34 »
Finally got the 24 year old explosive device also known as the "airbag" out of the steering wheel of my Miata and replaced it with a Nardi Deep Corn wheel and Works Bell quick release. I like old keyboards, but not old airbags.

The difference is insane... The whole feel of the car changes with a better steering wheel. Now I just have to consider whether or not I'll go ahead with the power steering delete... :D
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 01:10:03 »
I have a 1977 Corvette stingray for sale if anyone out there is interested and lives close to Wisconsin :P It only has about 57k miles.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 01:55:26 »
I have a 1977 Corvette stingray for sale if anyone out there is interested and lives close to Wisconsin :P It only has about 57k miles.

I'm not close, but pics? :D

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 05:38:16 »

Erm, care to ship it out to the UK? I want one so bad.

Or at least post pictures.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 05:40:49 »
I will when I get home later.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:31:06 »

Hey man, at least let me go for a joy ride!!  :P

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:13:02 »
Sold my '97 E36 328is last summer, bought a 2.5L '09 VW Golf (Rabbit-branded, of course).

I could not be happier with the change in my repair bill as a young 20-something, but mark my words I will get another late E36 or E30 some day. Best car I've ever driven.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:46:58 »
I have a 1977 Corvette stingray for sale if anyone out there is interested and lives close to Wisconsin It only has about 57k miles.

Hey man, at least let me go for a joy ride!! 
Sure as long as the snow is gone and you are in point or plover

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:27:16 »
Sold my '97 E36 328is last summer, bought a 2.5L '09 VW Golf (Rabbit-branded, of course).

I could not be happier with the change in my repair bill as a young 20-something, but mark my words I will get another late E36 or E30 some day. Best car I've ever driven.

Welcome to the DUB life. I really like the Mk6, they look sooooo much better than the Mk5 (IMO the worst looking Golf.)

I like how the 2.5L is limited to 130mph, but the 2.0L GTI isn't limited and goes up to 153...

Hey, I bet it moves like **** off a shovel.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:38:41 »
Welcome to the DUB life. I really like the Mk6, they look sooooo much better than the Mk5 (IMO the worst looking Golf.)

I like how the 2.5L is limited to 130mph, but the 2.0L GTI isn't limited and goes up to 153...

It's actually an MK5, I think the '09 model year was a bit wonky or something. I love the MK5 look  :p  There's a sweet Fahrenheit edition MK5 that parks a few streets over from me that looks prettttty slick.

It's pretty torquey, but I kind of wish I had a turbo... and a leather wheel. Really miss the leather from the bimmer.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:12:07 »

It's actually an MK5, I think the '09 model year was a bit wonky or something. I love the MK5 look  :p  There's a sweet Fahrenheit edition MK5 that parks a few streets over from me that looks prettttty slick.

It's pretty torquey, but I kind of wish I had a turbo... and a leather wheel. Really miss the leather from the bimmer.

I like the look of the Mk5.   :thumb:  Much better IMO than the Mk3 and Mk4.   :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:15:49 »

I didn't know this was a thing. Can someone teach me how to pipe the sound of a Ferrari into my Altima's speakers? I'm ok with the deception. :)) I've obviously been wasting my speakers' potential by putting music and other nonsense through them.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:16:47 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:18:00 »
But will I believe that collabo demik? I want some high end audio engineer ****. I want to believe.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:21:04 »
You can do it put your back into it

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 00:48:59 »

True that.. Here is my fav in order.. MKII, MKI, MKIII, MKIV, MKVI, MKV

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 01:33:50 »
God if I wasn't such a patriot I would't drive American cars.
Seriously, American cars still suck.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 02:16:51 »
Pretty happy with my '11 E64 =)
Unfortunately my 550 is having drivetrain malfunction -__-

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:13:28 »
God if I wasn't such a patriot I would't drive American cars.
Seriously, American cars still suck.

I'm not a fan of American cars in general, but have you seen what Ford has been coming out with lately? I've always been a fan of the Ford GT; the new one will be hard to ignore.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:33:02 »

Show Image

Dude is that a M6?  I'm considering buying an used 630i as a daily now that I'm a father.  Actually I'm kinda sad they didn't make a "620i" : the smaller engine for my daily, the better (less taxes, cheaper insurance).  My current car only has two seats and that is really not enough with a baby, but an "old" 6-series would do...  Very nice car in any case.

When you say 550, you mean you have a Ferrari too?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 09:07:20 »

Show Image

Dude is that a M6?  I'm considering buying an used 630i as a daily now that I'm a father.  Actually I'm kinda sad they didn't make a "620i" : the smaller engine for my daily, the better (less taxes, cheaper insurance).  My current car only has two seats and that is really not enough with a baby, but an "old" 6-series would do...  Very nice car in any case.

When you say 550, you mean you have a Ferrari too?

I'm guessing he means a 550i since he also has a 6-series

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 09:47:48 »

You honestly think prices are going to stay this low?