Author Topic: [IC] Jun3 - Bottom mount Leaf Spring design  (Read 14646 times)

Offline Jun3

[IC] Jun3 - Bottom mount Leaf Spring design
« on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 10:59:36 »
Jun3

26th August 2022 Updates

Hello Geekhack! Apologies as I needed to take a hiatus to address the curve ball that life has thrown at me.
I'm happy to say that it has been sorted out and I can finally come back to this project.

I'd like to extent my deepest thanks and appreciation to those who have previously submitted the IC#1,
as well as those who left a comment and feedback. Every one of them is a motivation and encouragement to bring
this project into reality!

I'd like to take the opportunity to address some questions and also to provide some updates.

Universal or dedicated PCB?
There has been lots of thoughts on to this, but where the original intention was well, I found that a
universal PCB might not be the best way to go about this. As such I've decided to have a dedicated
PCB instead so as to have more control over the quality.

Feedback 1

The case looks good but I absolutely despise the layout. Would've surely gotten in if it was exploded like the jelly or sat75. Glwgb.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I really love the idea. Plus you don't see bottom-mounted boards every day.
I'm very curious about what this would look like with an exploded layout.
Plus sound tests, of course. Anyway, GLWIC.

I've actually received quite some feedback similar to this, as such an IC is created with
a new proposed layout, the decision here will help to determine the final form factor. Overall, I've
tested the design with a 65% layout and I'm quite pleased at how it turns out.

Feedback 2

Until I get my hands on a competent mic, the sound tests that was produced was
quite scuffed and didn't do the board any justice. As such I'm holding it off until I can get a
better setup.

Feedback 3

Is this happening this year, or are we looking at a q1 2022 gb?

It was supposedly scheduled for November 2021 GB, but I've since decided not to rush it,
but instead spend some time to produce something interesting and that we can enjoy. Sourcing for
a new supplier has since helped to propose a more realistic price point as well as better finishing.

Feedback 4

Will there be a GB for this board or has the project already been abandoned?

Would really like to see this board as the orange board really looks sick.

This project has definitely taken a break, but I've come back to this and am glad to be
back on "board" (ba-dum-tss)

Design Updates

Some time has been spent revising the backface design. The previous design executed the concept perfectly,
but I feel that the design isn't as bold as I'd like it to be. As such a bit more time is spent looking for the
right curves so that the design really pops and leads the eye pleasantly. Currently feel like I want to push the boundaries
of what is realistically machinable.

Also, in for an inch, in for a mile.

As comfortable and pleasant as the flex cuts are currently, after testing it out as a daily driver for around 3 months, I find that there
are still rooms for improvements. Updated flex cut strategies will help to optimize the feel and experience of the board.

Interest Check Form here!
https://forms.gle/DmxqZ2vdF6yuDBKB9

Previous posts/updates

More
JUN3 75%
Designed by Jun3

Hello Geekhack! Here is a pet project that has been the subject of my after-work activity, and is finally ready to be introduced to all of you!

Prototype v3
JUN3 75% Anodised Aluminium Casing
Carbon Fibre flex plate
Dinokeys Mint Linears
Durock Stabilizers
GMK Dark

SPECIFICATIONS

- Aluminium anodised single-piece casing
- Bottom mounted Carbon Fiber flex plate
- 7 degree typing angle
- 15mm front lip height

INTRODUCTION

A lot of decisions and selections goes into passionately creating and fine-tuning our mechanical keyboards.
From the sounds, feels, and into the looks of it to personalize it into something we love and we can identify with.
However, most times our components are always hidden in our casing, and sits unnoticed unless being mentioned upon.

This iteration of casing design aims to showcase the beautiful plates and interesting switches that we have chosen to complete our kit.

Furthermore, since we're spending on CNC, why not exploit that further in creating a distinct and interesting shape,
and is easily identifiable on top of our desk as something that is "Different"

A bottom mount is chosen to achieve the one-piece casing design. Held in by 4 screws and supported by poron gaskets,
it makes the whole assembly easy to take apart at anytime for servicing, changing components, or to test out the latest trending mod.

Furthermore, JUN3 75% is designed to readily accept most 75% PCB in the market. Amongst them are:
-KBD75 v2, v3
-YMDK 75
-XD84

This decision will be explored further in the next section

DEVELOPMENT

Prototype v3
Carbon Fibre flex plate
Equalz Tangerine
Durock Stabilizers
GMK Merlin

JUN3 75% has gone through numerous revisions since Q4 2020, and has gone through 2 rounds of aluminium prototype,
preceded only with a lot of trial and error via 3d printing. Currently with just a few things to fine tune:

• Flex cuts optimization on the carbon fiber plate, and to explore the introduction of FR4 plate.
  • Introduction of poron gaskets to better support.
  • PCB Design.

Although the initial intention was to make this a keyboard design that accepts most 75% PCBs on the market, in the end
it's only fair that JUN3 75% have it's own dedicated PCB as well to complete the whole ensemble.

GROUP BUY DETAILS
  • MOQ: 300-500 units
  • 3 color options
  • Tentatively asking for USD$300 selling price if max MOQ is met
  • Expected to follow the FCFS sales format
  • GB expected to be end of Q4 2021, latest by Q1 2022
  • We're looking at a 2-3 month lead time to fulfill orders
There is a few more kinks to work out before JUN3 75% is ready for Group Buy orders, the Interest Check form
will help us reach a definite conclusion to make the whole experience better for everyone involved.

Interest Check Form here!
https://forms.gle/gcirHv3rzFYMbhucA

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read through!

Edit
-Included IC form
September 2021 update

More
UPDATE 7th MARCH 2022

Prototype v3.7
Carbon Fibre flex plate
Dinokeys Mint Linears
Durock Stabilizers
GMK Samurai + GMK Dark

Hello geekhack! Sorry for the radio silence. Life has taken over for awhile, but things are getting back on track now.

Currently we're looking at version 3.7, and a few things have gone through troubleshooting and problem solving,
mainly to create a more consistent typing experience and to eliminate minor pinging found in the previous prototype.

ASSEMBLY

Prototype v3.7
3D Rendered assembly image

The whole keyboard will be held together via 4 screws, strategically placed to also secure the plate at the intended flex points.
I will reveal more about the carbon fibre plate and how the "flex" works once the new prototype arrives shortly.

The initial goal was to design a keyboard that can be dissassembled and re-assembled easily,
and I think that I've achieved this intention here.

The recent update introduces 2 long porong strips, each 2mm in thickness along the top and bottom,
where previously the carbon fibre plate was in charge of keeping everything level and "floats" on the keyboard.
By introducing the poron strips, it not only helps to stabilise the plate, but also to provide additional support to the
plate and to give a consistent flex throughout. I also find that it helps the keyboard to create a more "solid" typing sound.

I feel that the typing height can be lowered a bit more, and this is going to be addressed in the upcoming update.

CURRENT STANDING

Prototype v3.7

I've entertained the idea of creating something iconic on the back, as a designer I feel that it's necessary
to constantly test the boundaries of what we can achieve. Parametric software was used to create a design that plays with
light and shadow. Kudos to the manufacturer for pulling this off, however the introduction of such a design bumps up the cost
significantly (so much so that I could not safely propose this design and keep the cost to sub $300), so for now a simpler design
will be used instead of this.

Prototype v3.7

So far I'm enjoying the whole design process and problem solving. Stay tuned for the soundtest that
will be coming once the new plates have arrived! By then I'll do a short write up on the design decisions that took part that
led to the final design of the plates as well as material choice.

Prototypes Line-up

In the mean time, I would like to share with you the physical prototypes done up to this point.
Behind each prototype are numerous digital decisions, and I feel like to actually do a writeup will result in too huge a wall of words.
Perhaps if any of the above caught your eye I can tell you a bit more about them if you are curious.
Until next time, take care everyone, and thanks for reading!

VENDORs

Asia - Rebult Keyboards https://www.rebultkeyboards.com/

March 2022 update
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2022, 03:20:08 by Jun3 »

Offline Jun3

Re: [IC] Jun3 75% - Bottom mount Leaf Spring design
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 11:02:33 »
Reserved
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2022, 03:13:19 by Jun3 »

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 12:32:40 »
I'm usually one for exploded layouts but this case just looks too cool.

Offline growler

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 12:45:12 »
This is very nice, might buy depending on price

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline Kaitodesu

• Chief of Custom Keyboards(COCK) at Mecha Malaysia
    • I take photos and videos of Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 20:10:54 »
sold you a kbd75 pcb with lifted pads a couple months ago. Nice to see it coming along  :thumb:

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 21:27:22 »
The case looks good but I absolutely despise the layout. Would've surely gotten in if it was exploded like the jelly or sat75. Glwgb.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 September 2021, 21:38:47 by darthcapn »
Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 21:36:54 »

Offline Jun3

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 11:21:17 »
This is very nice, might buy depending on price

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Tentatively setting $300 as a benchmark, and to be further adjusted depanding on how the IC goes!

sold you a kbd75 pcb with lifted pads a couple months ago. Nice to see it coming along  :thumb:

Yes sir! Your PCB has been through quite a lot during the R&D phase. Glad to report that it's still working well haha.

Offline evidentLEE

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 01:25:59 »
LOVE the case design and the carbon flex plate. Definitely keeping an eye on this!
Give a man a gun, he'll rob a bank. Give a man a bank, he'll rob the world.

Offline Garner

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 14:29:55 »
Cool design, glwic :)

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 06:31:48 »

Some SA keycaps might look interesting on that case shape. 

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 12:14:17 »

Offline Jun3

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 06:26:37 »
Post updated with more info!

Initially was aiming for Q1 2022, however I felt that it was necessary to spend a bit more time to fine tune the design before even considering to put it through GB

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 01:48:29 »
judgin by the pictures, its certainly unique, but i have a hunch it will look very nice in real life. pictures don't do boards like this justice
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Gerzerker

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 July 2022, 00:22:45 »
Will there be a GB for this board or has the project already been abandoned?

Would really like to see this board as the orange board really looks sick.

Offline Jun3

Re: [IC] Jun3 - Bottom mount Leaf Spring design
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 04:32:55 »
Post updated with new IC!

Offline Gerzerker

Re: [IC] Jun3 - Bottom mount Leaf Spring design
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 August 2022, 06:21:00 »
The new backface design looks really sleek! Glad to know you're not 'board' with the project (badum-tss) haha

Hopefully you'll still design this for a 75% layout as I initially found this board while looking for 75% keyboards. 🙏
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2022, 06:37:08 by Gerzerker »