Author Topic: The perfect Alice/Arisu keyboard for me  (Read 2547 times)

Offline garage_logician

The perfect Alice/Arisu keyboard for me
« on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 10:36:35 »
I really like the Owlabs Spring but I did not find out about the GB until it was way to late. I doubt there are any to be had so I am looking for an alternative. The list of my wants is not to long (I don't think) but I could not find a keyboard that meets those needs.

1) I would like to have a tilde key. I am a software developer who works on Linux and Mac, one of the few to whom the tilde is important I would guess.
2) I want a knob, I have one on my Keychron Q2 and it is great for adjusting headphone volume and muting. Useful as heck when switching back and forth between meetings and music.
3) Mac compatible I am not sure if that is a thing but I know my Keychron has a Mac switch.
4) Gasket mounted at the least, best of spring mounted but I don't think anyone besides Owlab makes a spring mounted Alice/Arisu.
5) South facing LED and hotswap
6) Flexcut PCB would be great!

I think that is everything. I don't care/need wireless connectivity. I am kind of partial to an aluminum case but I would not dismiss Poly or a layered case. I just don't have any experience and would need to better understand what that case type would do to the sound/feel of the board. Is there anything out there that would meet my needs or is this something has not been created yet?

Thanks!

Offline garage_logician

Re: The perfect Alice/Arisu keyboard for me
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 10:50:15 »
I now realize that I really want the Arisu since I really need to nav arrows. I know the two terms (Alice and Arisu) and used interchangeably at times (seems I am guilty of it too....  :-/). I don't care what the board is called, I just want a "kind of" ergo with arrows and a tilde.  :-)

Offline selsik

Re: The perfect Alice/Arisu keyboard for me
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 12:30:34 »
If you're willing to stray a bit outside of your comfort zone, I'd suggest Keebwerk's Nasu.

- Arrows: use SpaceFn and bind them to HJKL
- Vol- and Vol+: bind it to PgUp and PgDn to the left (you can layer them or not, your pref)
- Tilde: the pcb allows for split backspace so you can have both physical Esc and tilde keys
- Mac mode: you can use split RShift and set the Fn key besides RShift as a toggle for a Mac layer

If you really need physical arrows then I'd go for a KBDFans Maja
Topre >>> MX