Author Topic: I cannot post threads on classifieds and pictures archive  (Read 10345 times)

Offline Harlequin

I cannot post threads on classifieds and pictures archive
« on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 09:51:56 »
I cannot post threads on classifieds and pictures archive.

Can anyone help me?

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: I cannot post threads on classifieds and pictures archive
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:09:26 »
You'll need to have at least 50 posts or more (link).
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:12:37 »
Also, you can't post in the pics archive since it's an archive (read only).  You can either start a new thread in GH media or post a request in feedback/suggestions (here!) to get a particular thread out of the archive if there's a good reason.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Bar81

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:13:51 »

That's excessive. Why the change? 

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:15:52 »

Thanx a lot reaper :)

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:16:59 »
We're still reviewing the requirements but the change is in order to prevent scammers and spammers. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 10:25:15 »

Thanx a lot reaper :)

You're welcome.  ;D
Din Eli

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 17:21:21 »
Hmm.. that's weird since I don't see any restriction on your profile.  You should just be able to reply/start new topic in any forum.  What error message are you getting?  Please post them here or in that "Bug reports" sticky on top.

Perhaps some sort of a bug on the new forum?
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2012, 17:30:08 by reaper »
Din Eli

Offline scriz

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 22:00:56 »
I'm gonna bring this thread back to the top.  I'm unable to post in the classifieds after the site is back online.  I have the required 50 posts, and have posted to the classifieds before.. Any help?

Offline asdf

• Tuesday, 11 November 2008, 20:17:05
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 00:51:03 »
I'm gonna bring this thread back to the top.  I'm unable to post in the classifieds after the site is back online.  I have the required 50 posts, and have posted to the classifieds before.. Any help?
It was changed again August 13th it seems.
currently 50 100 posts, but subject to change without notice

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 01:01:28 »
someone seems to have fiddled around with this and made it 100. that may turn out to be a bit high in the long run, but i'm going to leave it for now. what's nice is that it's high enough that it discourages people from joining and then spamming just to post in classifieds. what's not so nice is that genuinely engaged posters can't advertise for a bit longer than one might prefer...

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MarkPharaoh

Re: Re: I cannot post threads on classifieds and pictures archive
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 01:16:43 »
someone seems to have fiddled around with this and made it 100. that may turn out to be a bit high in the long run, but i'm going to leave it for now. what's nice is that it's high enough that it discourages people from joining and then spamming just to post in classifieds. what's not so nice is that genuinely engaged posters can't advertise for a bit longer than one might prefer...

I'm in the latter. This seriously makes me consider listing boards on eBay. This is a pretty specific board and even when I want to be active, there are only so many threads where I even want to post on.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline Bar81

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 04:34:16 »

That's just crazy.  Is there an actual problem you guys have experienced that you are actually addressing or is this just something that sounds good to people with a lot of posts?

Offline scriz

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 21:57:36 »

Thats a cool story.  Guess I'll be selling my wares on OCN/eBay until I post another 37 times.  It certainly does discourage people from spamming..that's for sure!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 22:11:11 »
it's been fiddled with again down to 60

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:14:43 »
it's been fiddled with again down to 60

What is this sorcery? Still can't make a thread.

Sad face, I'm just going to go sit in the corner and hug my new RAII keycaps.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:21:12 »
what?! taking a look..

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:24:22 »
can't repro. are you sure you're trying to start a new topic in classifieds and not gbs?

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:35:23 »
The button is there now. I swear it wasn't there as soon as I saw your post. Maybe there is a delay between changes made and when they're implemented?

Thank you.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 23:45:59 »
more likely you needed to post once before your user status changed :) no worries

Offline scriz

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 09:00:56 »
ty mkawa i heart u

Offline Okita

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:22:55 »

Double-edged sword.

What made the classified section great was not only how many sellers there were, but the ability to post up Want to Buy ads. That being said, I have a friend who is in the market to purchase a Filco or Leopold Tenkeyless with brown switches next week and I'd directed him to this forum, but that's not happening anymore because he doesn't have the time to write 60 posts just to make a purchase. On top of that, I can't even find the keyboard for him because the reduced number of sellers, and less sellers means higher prices anyway. That's one less potential buyer and user for geekhack.

I, on the other hand, am determined to post in the classifieds (I've already purchased there once using the WTB feature) and will therefore continue posting shallow one-two sentence posts until I reach the required amount, then I will resume lurking. If there are others like me, you might end up with a little less spam in exchange for a lot more fluff. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm just being honest.

Imho buyer and seller feedback is what's important in the end, not post count. Everyone should know they're taking a risk by buying or selling to someone with neither.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 16:05:18 »

That's probably also a good recipe to scare away lots of potential users or end up with a lot of users with 2-3 posts (one introducing themselves, the second asking why they can't reply to or post to the classifieds, the third them saying how lame it is and leaving never to return).  I don't understand how this would help solve any spammer/spam bot issues at all (aside from them showing up in a different forum than the classifieds).  Buyer and seller feedback -- which we lost in the change over to SMF -- was the critical part for the "scammers" concern and I don't see how making a user post 60 times  before using the classifieds is going to do anything but cause issues.

This is a bad approach IMHO as it just keeps legit new users from being able to do what they came here to do -- I imagine a lot of new users come here specifically for the classifieds.   Forcing people to make 100 posts before they can use the classifieds is terrible.  I sold quite a bit of gear on here and I would have to say that 80% (or more) or what I sold was to users with < 60 posts, some to users with < 10 posts (who were excellent buyers and I had zero trouble with).   Also the second reason I ended up at this forum (besides the ergonomic keyboard discussions) was to buy and sell items in the classifieds.  I think when I did my first purchase I might have had about 5 posts, if that.  Had this arbitrary post restriction limit been in place when I signed up I likely wouldn't have bothered to stick around.

I'm sorry to sound so negative once again but this is another change that the logic defies me on.  I don't see anything at all helpful in taking this approach -- the logic completely fails me.  Minimum posts before a user can post a link or an image?  Sure ... if that helps stem spammers, but minimum posts before they can actually use an individual forum (and probably one of _the_ most useful forums on this board)?  Makes no sense to me at all, sorry.  What exactly does this 60 post limit do to help anything?

If you want to stem the spam install things like the Stop Forum Spam package or any number of others that are helpful in stopping at least the majority of the spammers ... but don't cripple the forum and hurt everyone in the process please.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Ian S

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:08:16 »
Well that's my advert for a nearly new QPAD MK-80 with MX-blues that no-one here is going to know about unless they see it on eBay.

Up to 20 posts, I expected 10 would be enough.  I not sure I'll reach 100 posts on here at all.  To do that I'd have to spam and toll thread after thread with one word answers which is complete crap to each thread!  I won't bother.

Making registration more bot proof will stop nearly all spammers won't it?
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:10:02 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 20:45:10 »
agreed Okita
agreed Gerk
agreed Ian S

All kidding and spamming aside ... seems like time would be a better indicator of "realness" than number of posts.  I can create 60 new threads in less than an hour if I were so inclined.  Making people wait a couple months seems a better idea than counting "+1"s they add on other people's posts.  Maybe there is no way to measure that using the forum software?   This is just my two cents - I have been in forums for years (this one just a year though) and have not run into this issue before.  I feel better having typed this - thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:00:15 by alaricljs »
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 20:47:33 »
the idea is not for you to prove you can stick around
the idea is not for you to post a bunch of +1 or 'agreed username' posts
the idea is that you become involved with community discussion and offer your opinions and insights. sure they might get shot down by more experienced members or people who are more active, but that's an important part of learning and contributing to a community.

the classifieds come after the discussion.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:11:58 »
Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying - and I am not suggesting that someone should post 60 garbage posts and set up shop - I was demonstrating that total posts alone do not measure real participation.  New members can spend a lot of time lurking and reading the posts of experienced members and their reviews without posting.  My opinion is they should ... there is a learning curve before you need to or can post good questions and spark good discussions. 

Also, the classifieds area is the only place many of us can see and afford the pieces we read about.  Experience involves using the things we read about too.  I disagree that the classifieds forum is for after the discussion I think it is the middle of the discussion.  You do research, then decide/get what you want, then find out if you chose wisely, you refine your requirements and get something different next time.  In the meantime you can share your experience with others.  Using the gear is part of the experience.

I think there is an unspoken assumption that people post to the classifieds to sell something ... the past few days I am seeing that many of the posts are WTB (or WTT). The inability to post a WTB ad prevents members from putting it out there that they are looking for something to try.  They can only buy what is being offered at that moment.

From a system/software perspective, could the ability to post be triggered by time of membership? 

Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:17:14 »
good points!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:48:46 »
You can purchase in the classifieds at any point.  It's selling that's blocked by not being able to create a new thread.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Ian S

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 04:23:50 »
New members can spend a lot of time lurking and reading the posts of experienced members and their reviews without posting.  My opinion is they should ... there is a learning curve before you need to or can post good questions and spark good discussions.
+1  :)  This is what I've done.  I'm on my third board in about 6 months.  I might have another couple or so in the next.  But nil of them will be sold here to GH members.  Which is the communities loss. 

IMO 100 or 60 posts seems on the face if it a stupid rule.  On my car site it's nil posts.  To post in classifieds you have to join, it costs £25 for the first year and £10 thereafter.  Many people join specifically to sell their car.  It helps the club and the members by there being a special place for a niche car, so people also join especially to look for and buy such a car.  A few boards are open, like GH, requiring only registration and we get a few spams a week at times in those that I or another couple of people delete as they occur.  Often someone reports the post so we're on it straight away, it takes minute or so to deal with inc banning the spammer.  It is a chore but not a big one if shared.  I ran a test last month by opening a classifieds board to non registered non members to see what happened.  It was spammed nearly every day by what looked like mainly Chinese people.  I made it require registration only, no fee, and there's been no spamming since.

GH is free so spamming might be more but it really so bad that that the classifieds has to be effectively shut down?

Is it instead a policy decision that a few people at GH don't want people using the classifieds unless they been around for years?

That does not create a community it creates a clique of old pals who know and chat about stuff.  People are most active and doing their buying and selling at the beginning of their discovery of mechanical keyboards, not after years when they know it all, have it all and have nothing to say, buy or sell.

I hope I don't get banned from GH before my stuff from the group buy arrives!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2012, 04:29:36 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline gbohn

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 19:58:02 »

I think there is an unspoken assumption that people post to the classifieds to sell something ... the past few days I am seeing that many of the posts are WTB (or WTT).

At the moment, I fall into that category. I would like to post a 'Want to buy' entry in classified, but don't have the magic number of posts du jour.

It's frustrating, and isn't helpful to anyone who might like to sell something to me...

Offline voightkampffme

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 10:30:51 »
I agree. I'm looking for some of the cool key sets here.

Offline karljs

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:07:10 »
From a system/software perspective, could the ability to post be triggered by time of membership? 

I'd support this idea, too. I've been lurking and reading for something approaching three years, but because I just recently started actually trying to contribute shouldn't really mean I'm not allowed to take advantage of the community classifieds.

Offline LostArk

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 00:21:22 »
I sold two keyboards on the classifieds last year with positive feedback for both and now I can't post to the classifieds because of my post count? I hereby petition to be grandfathered in.