7 (7.5%)
Don't care
8 (8.6%)
120x120 pixels
3 (3.2%)
Even smaller
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: Avatar size  (Read 73792 times)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Re: Avatar size
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:17:56 »
Right, but what I'm asking is if the official rules state that as long as the majority of the total votes in the poll are towards 150 and up, we'll at least get 150, OR does whichever specific option with the most votes win? This is rather interesting :)

Whatever the majority of votes will be happiest with wins, NOT the SINGLE option that has the most votes. If the majority want bigger than 100, but 100 has the most singular votes, 100 loses.

What?  No.  That's not how it works.  That's just silly.

Imagine that 184 had the highest single vote count, but 150 and 100 combined were larger.

Would you be saying "the majority want 150 or less, so that wins?"

Of course not.

Of course I would say that 150 wins, the majority voted for less than 184. Did you not read what I JUST said? It doesn't matter if 184 gets the most singular votes if the size is not included in the majority.

Some backlash is to be expected.  We'll just let this play out for a while.  I've got other things to work on.

I tend to agree that votes for even larger or smaller sizes than the current size should be aggregated.

With respect to the margin, it might interest you to know that we had an even larger left margin until I shrank it down on April 29th to recover some dead space.  I had to put some of it back to fit the larger avatars, but it is still slightly narrower than it was originally (by 1em).

See? Whatever makes the majority happy wins E TwentyNine.

1em narrower AND 50 more pixels of Avatar! ANYONE who complains that they're too big now has no basis as the margin is smaller than it used to be, and you had no problems with that margin.

Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:20:40 »
Is there seriously an "Even smaller" option now? Smaller than 50 pixel avatars?!
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:22:54 »
Is there seriously an "Even smaller" option now? Smaller than 50 pixel avatars?!

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~ If you keep quiet about it, people won't see it :cool:

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:32:08 »
Either way, Ed, change your avatar to one of the cleaned up ones posted yesterday!  Your current one has distortion.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:35:42 »
Of course I would say that 150 wins, the majority voted for less than 184. Did you not read what I JUST said? It doesn't matter if 184 gets the most singular votes if the size is not included in the majority.

I read what you said, recently and otherwise.   If 184 came out on top in the singular categories, I would bet you would be saying "it should be set to 184" even if the other options summed were higher.  Not, the general "you", but you.

Some backlash is to be expected.  We'll just let this play out for a while.  I've got other things to work on.

I tend to agree that votes for even larger or smaller sizes than the current size should be aggregated.

With respect to the margin, it might interest you to know that we had an even larger left margin until I shrank it down on April 29th to recover some dead space.  I had to put some of it back to fit the larger avatars, but it is still slightly narrower than it was originally (by 1em).

See? Whatever makes the majority happy wins E TwentyNine.

The problem with the approach is that it's scaling up.   If 100 and 150 have more than half the votes (as they do), do you go with 100 or 150 ?  Assuming that someone who wants 100 would be happy with 150 may not be correct.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #255 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:37:16 »
The problem with the approach is that it's scaling up.   If 100 and 150 have more than half the votes (as they do), do you go with 100 or 150 ?  Assuming that someone who wants 100 would be happy with 150 may not be correct.

But 100x100 is included in 150x150. The converse isn't true. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #256 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:38:00 »
I will probably make a new one at my Dad's sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. With thicker lines of course to avoid the compression distortion. There are exacting dimensions it has to be...
R.I.P.ster

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:38:51 »
300x300 for true creatives in the only way.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:41:00 »

But 100x100 is included in 150x150. The converse isn't true. :(

150 would be higher than the maximum the 100 voter wanted.    To assume they'd be happy with 150 does not necessarily follow.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:42:34 »
I will probably make a new one at my Dad's sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. With thicker lines of course to avoid the compression distortion. There are exacting dimensions it has to be...

Your avatar has the graphical complexity of a 1979 Asteroids game.   The major problems with its appearance don't result from "compression distortion".

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 15:42:38 »

Everything above and below in conglomerated... If the majority wanted 100 or smaller compared to 120 or bigger, then 100 would win. But since the majority want 150 or bigger compared to 120 or smaller, 150 wins.
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:01:23 »
I have a native resolution of 1920x1080 (I even use a very wide bookmark sidebar on the left), and as I look at all the pages of this thread I don't see too many lines of text that actually hits the right side of the browser (ironically majority of the posts that do are by The_Ed, and he doesn't even care :)) ). Even with my browser not on fullscreen, majority of the lines of text don't hit the right side of chat window. I honestly don't see how increasing the possible size of the avatars and the left margin by a few pixels could really hurt anyone.

This is just my opinion, of course. I do not speak on behalf of those with lower monitor resolutions.

I also like seeing lots of nicely packed lines of text :)) It just looks so neat.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:06:05 by VesperSAINT »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:03:14 »
*Except that the margin was decreased...
R.I.P.ster

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:05:26 »
Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd rather not mention it because there is a counter argument to that, which I know of but won't mention! :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:07:35 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #264 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 06:58:53 »
I also like seeing lots of nicely packed lines of text :)) It just looks so neat.

Well you're quite welcome to resize your browser to a 400px wide window if you want!

Having avatars turned off is quite nice for packing actually - you get about twice as many debatably witty one-liners in the same space...

22206-0

vs

22208-1

Can we have options to disable some of the other elements in the margin? Apart from 'Thread Starter' it's all easily available by going to someone's profile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:17:08 by Soarer »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:33:43 »
**** man, how the hell do you cope with white txt on a black bkground... **** destroys my eyes

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:36:10 »
**** man, how the hell do you cope with white txt on a black bkground... **** destroys my eyes

I rather like the dark theme I get the opposite reaction, if I use a lighter theme I get lots of eye strain......of course I already have my monitor brightness at ~50%

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:39:55 »

I rather like the dark theme I get the opposite reaction, if I use a lighter theme I get lots of eye strain......of course I already have my monitor brightness at ~50%

it dsnt really matter what kind of display I use at any brightness when ever I have to read white text on a black bkground and look away all I can see is mad stripes which properly ****s with my vision... it might just be me but I find reading websites like that impossible lol

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:43:29 »

it dsnt really matter what kind of display I use at any brightness when ever I have to read white text on a black bkground and look away all I can see is mad stripes which properly ****s with my vision... it might just be me but I find reading websites like that impossible lol

I actually went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago because my eye strain was getting so bad they recommended prescription reading glasses which I tried but they didn't seam to help much...but dropping my third monitor and just using two has helped a lot.

And it would be kind of cool if they could make the text green or blue on the dark background even though that might be a complicated change.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:51:56 »

I actually went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago because my eye strain was getting so bad they recommended prescription reading glasses which I tried but they didn't seam to help much...but dropping my third monitor and just using two has helped a lot.

And it would be kind of cool if they could make the text green or blue on the dark background even though that might be a complicated change.

yeah I've found the best websites for reading have fairly large text and its in a grey font on a non white (but pale) bkground. And I wear prescription glasses full time, but the only strain I get is reading large blocks of text that are on dark or black bkground

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:04:46 »
I haven't used the Stylish plugin in a while, but figured I'd add it back in and see what it can do for the layout here. 

This is what I have now, which is what I think Greystoke basically wanted:

Note that it can do a lot more presentation wise, change colors, etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:07:05 by E TwentyNine »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:15:47 »
That does look clean!

Still quite a bit of blank screen real estate around the text, but it's very much and improvement over Nostalgia or the board default.  Are there no "condensed" themes available?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:23:02 »
That does look clean!

Still quite a bit of blank screen real estate around the text

make the browser window smaller?

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:31:38 »
That does look clean!

Still quite a bit of blank screen real estate around the text, but it's very much and improvement over Nostalgia or the board default.  Are there no "condensed" themes available?

I only found one on http://userstyles.org/ , if you took that as a base and worked from there what you want could likely be worked out.

Oh and you might want to add back the quote link...

Edit: Ooooh, you mean condensed themes available *here*.   Welll....if someone took the default theme and cloned it, and then added the changes done in the stylish script, that might be a fast path to a condensed theme.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:36:37 by E TwentyNine »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:33:52 »
That does look clean!

Still quite a bit of blank screen real estate around the text

make the browser window smaller?

That's basically the whole of it.  Only the left margin is hard whitespace there, and that can be wiped out by stylish pretty simply.

But I suppose that would cause long names to overlap.  You could make the name font much much smaller...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:44:07 »
I think the side bar should only have a small avy and the users profile name, all the other links and info can be put into there profile... because if you care you can check with the click of a link...

but I guess with that I'd totally stifle people creativity and FORCE them to create blogs in which to share there horrible pics art work

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:12:33 »
I just realized then when I post, the "Topic Summary" on the post page is a very compressed view of the thread.  It has who made the post, the ability to quote, no avatars, no sigs.

There has to be a way to put that into a theme.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:44:04 »
The new avatar size looks rediculously big...
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:04:04 »
I just realized then when I post, the "Topic Summary" on the post page is a very compressed view of the thread.  It has who made the post, the ability to quote, no avatars, no sigs.

Of course there is!  Let me know when you have something to try!

Russ

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:10:43 »

Of course there is!  Let me know when you have something to try!

Can you point me to a way to download the current themes?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:52:54 »
They are all based on Curve, the default theme for SMF.
Russ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 14:08:04 »

Kind of with this :)) I use the Thoriated theme and haven't looked back! It's just easier on the eyes.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 02:17:14 »
Someone is definitely recruiting voters :))

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 02:23:19 »

Or making multiple accounts lol

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 02:25:35 »

Whoa! Never thought of that... if this was the case though, why would anyone go so far? :))

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 02:34:03 »

Whoa! Never thought of that... if this was the case though, why would anyone go so far? :))

Soarer probably would...

PS - Soarer, I'm kidding  :p

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 02:40:01 »
Soarer probably would...

PS - Soarer, I'm kidding  :p

I jest also~ <3 <3 <3

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 03:08:51 »
Is that what it looks like to get a blowjob from Ashton Kutcher?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 03:10:00 »
Is that what it looks like to get a blowjob from Ashton Kutcher?

:)) You never fail to bring a smile to my face  :-*

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 23:12:35 »

More of this is happening :(

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 01:35:38 »
I know... Depending on how they clarify the rules, I'm going to vote for certain win (150x), but my vote stays with 184, for now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 01:59:56 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 01:42:49 »
This sucks.. I much prefer 150x150.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 01:43:15 »
 ;D
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:02:03 »
This sucks.. I much prefer 150x150.

Yeah, dood, but don't lose hope. You'll know what I mean if you got a page or two back and read the "supposed" rules. There's still a chance that we can at least get the 150. I mean, the way we have it now (right now it's at 150), it can't be that bad, right?

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #294 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:02:55 »
I know... Depending on how they clarify the rules, I'm going to vote for certain win. :(

What?

Currently 150 and larger have 38 votes, 120 and smaller have 30 votes. So 150 is STILL the voted for maximum size. If you want 184, then keep your vote at 184, don't change it to 150 as it will do nothing. Everything is aggregated so as to appease the majority.
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:03:57 »
i see 100x100 winning ;o
Keyboardless

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:07:23 »
I like my avatar size.
I love Elzy

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:13:05 »
I know... Depending on how they clarify the rules, I'm going to vote for certain win. :(

What?

I re-clarified my statement earlier :P

I like my avatar size.

Amen, brother.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:14:46 by VesperSAINT »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #298 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:21:42 »
It will take 12 votes of 100 to change back to 100 right now.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 06:04:24 »
Oh yeah, fake accounts. It's the only explanation why anyone would vote 100x100  :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's just becoming more representative as more votes come in overall.

Can the thread title be changed to "Avatar size - vote here" please?