Author Topic: [IC] A true GH/DT custom keyboard kit - What do you want to see?  (Read 55076 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: [IC] A true GH/DT custom keyboard kit - What do you want to see?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 21:59:58 »
I'm not interesting in considering anything other than 60%, 65% (horizontal length 16units) and TKL at this time, sorry.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 22:02:03 »
This is the layout I have in mind. It's similar to a 68 board with extra column, for someone who need extra keys(F rows maybe).
The design mainly for keycaps compatibility, with second bottom option you will only need extra 7u spacebar to finish the board.
I remember I saw a Korean made keyboard use this idea, sorry I can't find the picture.
Show Image

I was thinking something like this, but with only the arrows and the two top-right keys, which gives a little bit of whitespace for aesthetics:

(Attachment Link)

So basically an FC660 style but with a regular-sized right shift.

The one issue with both of these, is very non standard bottom rows.  If this is going to be a large scale group buy, I think this should be a primary concern.

I agree with this. I would not be interested in those layouts primarily due to keycap compatibility.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 07:20:27 »

Show Image

or something along these lines  :-*

I'd like a layout just like this. Nice one.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 13:14:46 »

Show Image

+1 Same here, Loving the layout!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 13:19:34 »

Show Image

I personally really like this but I would prefer to see more conservative design for this board; mainly due to cap compatibility.
There is also the issue of lacking alternate layouts. It would be nice to have a PCB which has several different options for the bottom row.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 13:43:01 »

Show Image

I personally really like this but I would prefer to see more conservative design for this board; mainly due to cap compatibility.
There is also the issue of lacking alternate layouts. It would be nice to have a PCB which has several different options for the bottom row.

A layout like this should also be quite sasy to support as an alternative layout while still supporting a hhkb or standard 60% layout I'm guessing.

If you use 1.25 mods for the hole bottom row, the left becomes totally standard.

Biggest Issue would probably be that it takes an alternative top case, same as it would for wkl.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:53:15 »
Have you made a google docs form for this? Might be the easiest way to gather all responses.

For the record, I would like a TKL, with a few colour options (olive green/black would be my choice) ISO compatible plate, nice weight on the underside, uhhhhhh...

That's about it.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:19:10 »
Have you made a google docs form for this? Might be the easiest way to gather all responses.
It's in the OP ;)
github

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:23:47 »
It's in the OP ;)

Derp. Didn't see it because it was orange.

Thanks bb
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 11:15:25 »
Really digging the HHKB 65% layout that is being shown here. I'm more into the short right shift 65% layout that isn't hhkb, but looks to be the one everyone is interested in.
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline need

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:40:13 »
Really digging the HHKB 65% layout that is being shown here. I'm more into the short right shift 65% layout that isn't hhkb, but looks to be the one everyone is interested in.
I really dig those 65% too.
For some reason, I never used the right shift while it's taking up so much real estate.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:42:57 »
I really dig those 65% too.
For some reason, I never used the right shift while it's taking up so much real estate.

The only times I've actually used it is for when I need to snap my windows so that they fit on my screen haha.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:50:37 »
what does a 65% keyboard looks like? not sure I have seen one or not before

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:52:10 »
I'm liking that HHKB w/ arrows layout too. It would need a custom top piece though, separate from a HHKB top piece. That probably wouldn't be an issue though.

How's this? I prefer the look of 1.5/1 keys.

what does a 65% keyboard looks like? not sure I have seen one or not before
It's 60% with one extra row. One example :

github

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:58:02 »
HHKB lqyout with arrow keys would be awesome

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:22:54 »
I did some playing around and I much prefer this layout :

My reasoning :

-Fn key in standard position
-Larger blocker on the right side, as I strongly disliked the appearance of such a small (0.75u) blocker.
-No 1.75u shift at the edge of the row, which I strongly disliked the appearance of.

The only issue is the /? key. This would have to be fn'd to some other keys, or could be made a dedicated key in conjunction with a 1.25u left shift. Since there are dedicated arrows putting it on the function layer shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?
github

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:47:48 »

Show Image

My reasoning :

-Larger blocker on the right side, as I strongly disliked the appearance of such a small (0.75u) blocker.
-No 1.75u shift at the edge of the row, which I strongly disliked the appearance of.

The only issue is the /? key. This would have to be fn'd to some other keys, or could be made a dedicated key in conjunction with a 1.25u left shift. Since there are dedicated arrows putting it on the function layer shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

Might be odd to do, but in theory you could have a dedicated ?/ key, and map the up and down arrows on the same key (one on a function layer)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:54:08 »

Show Image

My reasoning :

Thoughts?

What if you found a way to do the FN key similar to the Smart68? That would allow you to bring the /? key back, albeit in a non-standard spot.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:06:05 »
Spit-balling, I really liked the layout of a HHKBLite2.

Drawback is that it's asymmetrical.

Maybe this is better:
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:18:11 by tjweir »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 18:31:45 »

Show Image

My reasoning :

Thoughts?

This is likely the most viable variant.
The key thing to do in order to make this practical for all users would be to offer variations for the bottom row; especially splitting up the spacebar.
This layout is essentially a relatively traditional hhkb layout with optimized real estate which is precisely what I have always desired.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 21:02:04 »

Show Image

My reasoning :

Thoughts?

I much prefer the layout I originally posted, because I never use right shift, and always use /?  :p I can respect your design though, but I think it would be a hard choice for me to make because of the /? key missing.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 05:28:35 »
I would be very interested in a European/U.S made custom board! I'd like to try 75%, as it seems the smallest form factor with dedicated arrow keys, or a TKL. Winkeyless is cool, winkey is cool as well. I feel like there's been a lot of 60% kits going around (could be my very bad perception) and would like to see a 75%.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] A true GH/DT custom keyboard kit - What do you want to see?
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 10:47:07 »
Thoughts?

Arrowed HHKB support would be amazing!  :thumb:

But to be honest the OG arrowed 60% layout would still be my first choice out of all of them.

og

In my opinion while not looking as hhkb like, its one of the most appealing layouts in terms of function and looks.

The 1.25 mods make for a more uniform bottom row thats blends in well and creates a nice staggered look with only arrow keys being ortholinear.
Blockers are slightly unsymmetric (which I actually like) making room for more overall whitespace vs 0.75 blockers on both sides.

a

This one still looks pretty nice, but while adding more whitespace also has a couple of drawback imo.

Having a 1u right alt/cmd makes the right edge of the space bar linear,
which creates an even bigger weird 3x2 non staggered area that kinda sticks out and doesn't blend in as nicely.
Also Im personally not a big fan of even less symmetry in terms of blockers, and by having left and right alt/cmd not being the same key size.

Overall while I can understand the approach of making it more hhkb like, I think it looks more edgy and less smooth and clean to the eye then the og did.

b

This one while looking more pleasing then option a overall, looks almost to forced to be symmetrical / hhkb imo.
And to be honest I almost prefer the looks of slightly less blocker space.

Also with the missing /? and in my case even worst missing alt gr on the right of space, this would be pretty hard to get used to for me personally.
I prefer having FN on capslock vs split shift, and for US Int I desperately need an Alt Gr.

So while overall much more pleasing looking then option a, this would be a lot less practical and hard to adjust to for me.

In addition to loosing crucial keys, I would also be kinda sad about loosing the reversed split R shift.
To me this was kind of a unique feature to this layout, and having shift in between fn and arrows makes it look a bit cramped.

Im honestly super happy to see arrowed 60% being consider at all since I really love the layout and it has been sticking in my mind for quite a while now.
Would be super happy to see a layout like these being implemented as a secondary choice with additional top plate!   :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 March 2016, 22:14:36 by FoC_Tow »

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 13:09:34 »
other color maybe ?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 22:24:13 »
Surface mounted Led spots on the TOP of the pcb would be pretty awesome too imo!

As far as I know only gon's pcbs offer this atm and it should be super easy to implement as they are just linked to the regular switch led spots.

Doing this in adition to acrylic plates would allow for plate rather then switch backlighting.

Also, a 60% pcb that supports top mounted smd led, underglow (maybe even rgb if people are into that), and arrowed hhkb layout would be something totally unique itself and could create more interest for people to order standalone pcbs for all kinds of 60% projects.

That is, if it still ends up working with the 60% standard which might be a bonus, but shouldn't be the main goal here imo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:40:58 by FoC_Tow »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 05:36:43 »
Voted for a TKL simply because I don't want to have to press two keys or more to actuate any functions.  If it's not in a TKL layout, then you will never need to use it in your lifetime.

Also one more vital note here, don't make another light-arse keyboard - make it at least 5 kilos (11 pounds for our american friends) in weight simply because we need it, only wimpy children cry when their keyboards are too heavy to carry  8) .
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 05:38:32 by Elrick »

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 08:03:08 »
So any verdict/decision yet as to what layout we are going to use so we can get this project moving :D :thumb:

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 09:23:05 »
So any verdict/decision yet as to what layout we are going to use so we can get this project moving :D :thumb:

I am leaning more and more towards the 60% by the way.

60% masterrace Hype

If it's a TKL layout, then you will never need to use it in your lifetime.

Fixed it for you <3

JK ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 09:29:02 by FoC_Tow »

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:50:17 »
Damn, why is it another 60%? I already have 2 60% D:
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:54:49 »
No, I'm still thinking but getting nowhere. It's basically more popularity & compatibility (TKL) vs more uniqueness. I really don't know which to choose.

Perhaps it would be best to start on a solid foundation - a TKL. I don't plan for this to be the last custom I do anyway, so long as it's a success ;)
github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:03:11 »
So, I know this has technically already been done, but to my knowledge this redscarf layout never made it to final production. I do think it's absolutely awesome and appeases several different keyboard enthusiasts.

That's a picture of the redscarf II + model f variant.

Show Image

Would be an awesome layout and style to replicate in this build, but with a significantly higher build quality and manufacturing eye taken to the case design and overall aesthetics.

Excited to see this project come to fruition!

It would be really cool to get one of these.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:37:17 »

So, I know this has technically already been done, but to my knowledge this redscarf layout never made it to final production. I do think it's absolutely awesome and appeases several different keyboard enthusiasts.

That's a picture of the redscarf II + model f variant.

Show Image

Would be an awesome layout and style to replicate in this build, but with a significantly higher build quality and manufacturing eye taken to the case design and overall aesthetics.

Excited to see this project come to fruition!

It would be really cool to get one of these.
The RS Model F is abandoned due to the lack of support when it lunch with RS68/RS78 last year within the Chinese MK community.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 07:11:16 »
Interested in the current layout posted in OP

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:12:59 »
Hey Photekq

In terms of case design for a 60%, I was actually really digging the render for teh SA Dasher set. It is also in line with the aesthetics you posted in the OP.

But maybe with a non-floating top plate or mount the plate in the frame like the duck and otd boards? Like this one https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39599.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:16:14 by BaconEggandCheeseBagel »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:21:31 »
I think it would be cool to see some solid minimalist standard layouts, such as 65% or TKL. :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 20:46:10 »
Stick to TKL bro!. We're going to make a keyboard that can match the OTD right?

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:01:01 »
No, I'm still thinking but getting nowhere. It's basically more popularity & compatibility (TKL) vs more uniqueness. I really don't know which to choose.

Perhaps it would be best to start on a solid foundation - a TKL. I don't plan for this to be the last custom I do anyway, so long as it's a success ;)

This is what I believe as well. As I mentioned in a prior post, Pink Floyd's infinite wisdom has said that "you can't eat your pudding until you eat your meat".

TKL is tried and true, and is important for credibility from the other side of the Pacific ocean - Korea. A true custom TKL to rival the 360c, or LZ-SE 84 would be amazing if it could come from a GH/DT collab. I'm fully aware of the amount of TKL's out there, but again, the whole point of this project is for GH/DT to come up with our *first* TKL.

I never thought this would be your only board, go nuts on the 2nd board in terms of layout. But I think a first board needs to make a statement not just on GH/DT, but also in Asia as well. In that sense, only a TKL would do, as it can directly rival and be compared to OTD or LZ.

---

I've posted this before, but IMO, these are the key factors to compare to OTD/LZ:

1) Good anodization/machining (goes without saying)

2) A weight (even brass would do... IMO, the Koreans will understand. OTD doesn't have a monopoly on a material)

3) No feet. Angle should be machined into the board

4) Full plate + Partial plate option
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:21:57 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:17:09 »
I understand everyone's point on TKL to prove our "legitimacy", but I also think that is less of making a statement then just following a previously paved trend. Would rather break ground then walk a worn path

Offline limitz

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:21:08 »
But it's not previously paved either. All the TKL's mentioned before... none of them were made in GH/DT. This is the chance to show that as two communities, we are capable of rivaling Korea's best.

And even among the TKL's posted before. Only a handful are in the top echelon. Even Duck's Orion V2 doesn't compare to the top LZ/OTD boards, or even the TGR-Jane.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:26:41 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:31:48 »
What's all this nonsense about proving something to the Koreans? Proving legitimacy? Rivaling Korea's best?

How about we let photekq make a keyboard he's excited about, TKL or 60% or whatever, instead of pretending that this needs to be some statement of superiority.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:54:20 »
What's all this nonsense about proving something to the Koreans? Proving legitimacy? Rivaling Korea's best?

How about we let photekq make a keyboard he's excited about, TKL or 60% or whatever, instead of pretending that this needs to be some statement of superiority.
But.....

photekq wants our opinion  :confused:

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:55:56 »

But.....

photekq wants our opinion  :confused:

And my opinion is that these opinions are crap :D ;)

Offline limitz

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:58:41 »

Not a statement of superiority, just a statement that GH/DT can produce a solid, top of the line TKL. I don't see what's wrong with attempting to rival the best (which happen to be Korean). The only keyboard I've seen lately that can match up to OTD/LZ is the TGR-Jane. The vast majority of TKL's produced are nowhere close to that standard.

This keyboard represents both of our communities. Personally, I want it represent the best we can offer, in a form factor that everyone... Asia, EU, and NA can all easily understand and has frame of reference for. He asked our opinion, and this is my opinion. Prove you have the basics down first, then move onto other layouts, just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:17:30 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:26:23 »
Your opinion is fair enough. I disagree that TKL is inherently more basic and that it's important for whatever pho creates to be immediately comparable to existing keyboards. I'm more interesting in something that stands on its own merit instead of by comparison to numerous mediocre alternatives. Different folks will have a different vision though. :)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 22:43:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:50:30 by alienman82 »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 23:22:25 »
I'd be interested in a TKL as well, that and 100% are the sizes I don't have yet.

TKL > 60% > 65% IMO
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:04:14 »
I'd be interested in a TKL as well, that and 100% are the sizes I don't have yet.

TKL > 60% > 65% IMO

I can understand TKL > 60%, but 60 >65? It's not like 65 is that much longer, its only 1 unit longer than a 60.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 10:21:41 »
Also one more vital note here, don't make another light-arse keyboard - make it at least 5 kilos (11 pounds for our american friends) in weight simply because we need it, only wimpy children cry when their keyboards are too heavy to carry  8) .
Lol.. I guess you want one made entirely out of brass or stainless then?

I don't think I'll be aiming for 5kg.. :))
github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 10:54:16 »

Show Image

A layout like this should also be quite sasy to support as an alternative layout while still supporting a hhkb or standard 60% layout I'm guessing.

If you use 1.25 mods for the hole bottom row, the left becomes totally standard.

Show Image

Biggest Issue would probably be that it takes an alternative top case, same as it would for wkl.

This layout has arrow keys in a sixty with few compromises and takes standard size keycaps, the few compromises are more than tolerable.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 11:59:15 »
Better balance, bottom row may be a bit too much :)

131345-0