Author Topic: cherry modded death addler  (Read 42950 times)

Offline Lanx

cherry modded death addler
« on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 20:21:18 »

It's real, i just modded it, yea it's ugly i can't help but mod functional ugly things.

My finger started getting sore, guess i'm working too much, noticed it was my index finger, figured it must be the 70g of force that the mice have, decided to mod an old mouse i had and came up with this.
It's too smooth lol! i'm used to using so much force, but after a few mins i got used to it,

Now i gotta figure out how to do it to my current mouse
(death addler is nice but low dpi, currently i like a 2400 dpi setting)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 20:23:23 »
thats pretty slick home boy. Yea, I wish you could choose the dpi rather than it being intervals. weird ass intervals at that
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 23:03:51 »
Wow. That's epic

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 23:18:29 »
i might actually put in a cherry blue (brown atm) since i kinda miss the "click" lol.
started modding my other mouse (since this one is working pretty well) but fiance wanted to watch tv with me instead.

oh and cool tidbit, the original switch (i'm assuming it's omron) is still on there for the left click, it's actually situated below the cherry (not underneath but lower) so i can actually still click with that too (and remind myself how much less force is needed).

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 23:32:08 »
Quote from: Lanx;364448
It's real, i just modded it, yea it's ugly i can't help but mod functional ugly things.

Nice! Mouse buttons are indeed heavy, especially clicking the middle button / scrollwheel. May we assume you used a cherry MX blue switch to have the click feedback ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 23:52:50 »
nope brown for now, thinking about blue, but i hate the blue sound.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:27:36 »
modded my cm storm now, a lot less clearance and had to use a ton of hot glue to keep it in place but at least now i have my daily driver mouse modded, just lost a macro button.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 21:49:00 »
after using this mod for 3 weeks and then using a regular mouse (my HTPC and sometimes fiance's computer) I cannot go backto regular mouse switches! it's like going from a rubber dome to mech, i don't even want to press right click anymore, i go and press the "menu" button on the computer instead.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 23:34:15 »
So this mod is actually good?  I never thought people would want a cherry switch for a mouse button.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 23:43:22 »
why not? it's smoother than an omron switch (the switches in mice) has lighter acutation force, and above all has helped me ergonomically since i have less stress in my mousing finger. (plus i think if i used a red switch it might be the best FPS mouse button) On the plus side, when diablo 3 get's released i'll have no issue with massive mouse clicking and i predict many will want to do this mod!

btw i've done this mod on a CM storm (my main mouse) the death addler is back to being a backup mouse.

plus why wouldn't a mod be good? most mods make things better (mine just happen to look REALLY ugly).

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 00:46:20 »
Quote from: flaming_june;376675
So this mod is actually good?  I never thought people would want a cherry switch for a mouse button.

Pretty sure they don't; vanity and weight. Plus it's easier just to replace the omron switch itself with a different weight rather than some completely different switch. In some of the Asian areas, there's a number of people who like to mod their mice with different omron and or brands(TTC, Zippy) switches to have different feeling/weight.

Most aren't gonna really bother with it since they would most likely say there isn't a difference. But from some of the few site translations, they do change the feel. But it's hard to find any good info on people testing the different switches.

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 21:46:21 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;376708
But it's hard to find any good info on people testing the different switches.

I found one here which talks about 4 Omrons, a Zippy, a Panasonic and a Cherry type switch. When translated the English is very, very broken.

Hopefully somebody sees it and has a go at translating it lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 // Logitech M570 Trackball // Topre Realforce 23UB

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:28:11 »
This is the coolest thing I have ever seen.. (late to the party here).  Did you just cut a single switch and connect the same switch to where the omron sits?
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 12:50:27 »
for the death addler it was actually very simple. where you see the cherry switch, it sits right above the omron switch (above not on top). So you can actually use the cherry switch or if you move your finger lower down the mouse, use the omron switch.

I've since modded my current mouse the cm storm, cuz i'm used to it, here.

as you see it was a bit more detailed, i had to sacrifice a "macro" button (look to the right side there's a button on very right, i had to gut out the one on the very left) and the pcb board "barely" left any room to fit a cherry switch on there. For the cm storm i had to desolder both the macro switch and the left mouse click button. then i had to just build a fake platform with hot-glue, in a sense the cherry switch is floating on a large chunge of hotglue.

don't know if the pic can't show (no natural light and don't want to move mouse away from computer) but the "scroll wheel" had a lot of mechanical stuff (holding the axel) that got in the way, fitting a cherry switch in that mouse, was the absolute minimum possible. Plus the front of the mouse actually has a metal guard since led's shine through it to produce a "flames" type effect.

i wanna do the right click as a cherry, but man i'd be loosing another macro button, and i really liked the left macro button i gave up.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:11:15 »
Lanx, if you get sick of the deathadder let me know I'll be happy to buy it from you :)

Oh by the way, how does your CM storm compare to your deathadder, I use a deathadder too but have been considering the storm as well...
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:24:29 by elbowglue »
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 17:38:53 »
Quote from: elbowglue;379063
Lanx, if you get sick of the deathadder let me know I'll be happy to buy it from you :)

Oh by the way, how does your CM storm compare to your deathadder, I use a deathadder too but have been considering the storm as well...

The inferno uses the PTE sensor(PLN 2031), sentinel uses the PTE PLN 2302. Inferno uses the same PTE sensor as the lachesis/orochi(same 4K DPI) so you'll experience some jitter issues(z-axis) like the more advanced PTE sensor on the sentinel and other PTE using mice. So technically deathadder > CM I/S except for the CM Spawn which uses the ADNS-3090, which is the open-source version of the S3888 on the DA. Major difference being sensor settings and the grip it's claw rather than low-profile palm like the DA.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 04:07:46 »
Quote from: elbowglue;379063

eh you could do the same dremel hack job and probably make it look better (i'm gonna put a ghetto red in it to see how it works out, i specifically made sure i could open the keycap for this purpose.

well i haven't gamed on my pc in forever, but i loved the DA for so long, but wanted higher dpi and super accurate tracking (i use high res and want to land where i land for my mouse pointer) storm fit the bill, has macro's and i don't lift, so it's great.
this may be because i tried to upgrade to a rat7 a year ago and that was a pathetic piece of trash, so i'm just used to the cm inferno.
cm inferno has the worst drivers and software btw, pos junk always resets itself.

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 07:22:21 »
any plans for doing the right clicks? :P
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline Lanx

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:39:07 »
yea soon, not because i want to, but cuz fiance says she notices now whenever i rightclick and now she say's she can hear it all the time, weird huh.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 00:36:09 »
wow i changed the cherry to a ghetto red (black stem/brown spring) cuz well i was getting tired of the tactile bump from all the double-clicking.

now the ghetto red requires almost no force to active, i think i'll stick with it,and yea i believe it's the best FPS mouse click lol, you could prolly spam as well as a macro with the black.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 20:06:49 »
i decided to try ergo clears, reds were just too much bottom out for me.

Offline Evil_Spork

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 14:26:27 »
Isn't the long throw on that a bad thing?
Noppoo Choc Mini "Tea Axis"/MX Brown
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - SOLD!
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R Limited Edition Tenkeyless with MX Red

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 22:58:03 »
Thread, I revive thee!

Originally I posted over on [H] about finger pain I was having and Lanx mentioned cherrifying a mouse.  I searched and sure enough found my way back to here.

Was hoping to see more examples of this kind of modification.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 13:58:30 »
i made a guide on another if you're interested, really just cut off lots of plastic and glue on the cherry switch.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:23960&do=comments

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 18:13:45 »
Nice
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Lanx

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 01:56:20 »
i'm actually modding another cm spawn since the fiance' took my current spawn.probably just gonna go for straight left and right cherry mods.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 04:40:56 »
Might I recommomend you use 'L' and 'R' keys this time. xD

Offline Lanx

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 09:33:07 »
acutally while that would "make sense" it does not from a profile aspect, i prefer the lower profile cherry keys etc zxcvm, if i used the l/r not only would they be different profiles but higher in depth as well.

Offline Chris_F

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 21:48:32 »
I've always wanted a mouse with something like Cherry MX Blues for left and right.
Q: The best keyboards ever made are from the early '80s and have buckling springs.
A: True

Offline nomad

Re: cherry modded death addler
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:47:53 »
Lol that's an awesome mod.  It would be interesting to see a mouse in the form of a simple box with 2 mx keycaps poking out the top with a style similar to that of the old IBM puck mice.

Offline cr0ben

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 15:51:20 »
Nice

Offline kalrykh

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 18:08:38 »
Wow. That's epic

Yes. Epic fail.  Why the hell would any sober/sane person do this?

Offline Zykos

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 05:56:46 »
Does the large travelling distance affect performance?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 11:13:35 »
Does the large travelling distance affect performance?
don't think so, i haven't played a fps since, but i did beat diablo3 on inferno with 2 classes, and diablo3 is a pretty click heavy game.

Wow. That's epic

Yes. Epic fail.  Why the hell would any sober/sane person do this?
maybe learn to read the first post, and you'll see the reasoning. I've also never been commited and being allergic to alcohol (and just not liking it) i don't drink.

Offline kalrykh

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 12:20:10 »
Maybe learn to not assume I didn't read.  Your finger hurting is not a reason to put a huge ass switch and key cap on a mouse.  Avoid hangnails and buy something comfortable to start with.  If repetitive stress injury is the problem, there's an easy way to fix it...stop repeating the **** that makes it hurt.  It's not like there arent alternatives to taking a perfectly good mouse and turning it into a retard's science project gone wrong.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 12:43:56 »
Maybe learn to not assume I didn't read.  Your finger hurting is not a reason to put a huge ass switch and key cap on a mouse.  Avoid hangnails and buy something comfortable to start with.  If repetitive stress injury is the problem, there's an easy way to fix it...stop repeating the **** that makes it hurt.  It's not like there arent alternatives to taking a perfectly good mouse and turning it into a retard's science project gone wrong.
I'm sorry, i cannot help but assume you have the mental capacity of a meme and therefor "could" but didn't "want" to read, my mistake, having established that i'll just reiterate stuff for you since you're incapable of reading the first post.
omron switches, which are the switches in most every mouse vary from 70g to more, a cherry switch is much less (45g). I use a cherry keyboard, i have no issues (kinesis) i use the mouse with the more force weight omron switches, i notice my index finger hurts.
I mod my mouse to use cherry switches, my index finger doesn't hurt anymore, feels perfectly fine, i conclude that the heavy force omron switches are to blame.

Again, if need be, i can go slower for you to explain this to make up for your decreased mental capacity but that would require a bit more research. On a side note, i have replaced the death adder (modded) with a cm spawn (cherry modded).I do not believe i've ever said that i've gotten a hangnail from mousing, in fact i've never had any nail issues, hand nor foot, while i do not do any sort of manicure/pedicures i do keep them groomed and have never had any sort of nasty infections/fungi.

Offline kalrykh

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 14:11:55 »
The hangnail comment, much like the sober/sane comment, are not serious assumptions(which is rather obvious) and therefore do not require a full medical history.  I can only assume your first language is not English, or your intelligence level is around that of what you seem to be attributing to me.  The issue I have isn't the weight of the switch.  I can understand wanting a lighter switch.  The issue I have is having to jack your finger up to rest on said switch and then adding that much travel to it.  It makes no sense from an ergonomic standpoint to increase finger movement and travel when you're complaining about ergonomic issues. 

You seem to be unable to comprehend the difference between a quip and a personal insult and have instead come at me as if I were attacking you.  I find amusing your attempt to prove you're the better person, while in the same breath trying to insult my intelligence.  Here, let me return the favor.  Let's take a look at the pic of the keyboard and mouse you posted earlier.  Your hygiene is nothing to write home about.  If you're going to shop in a junk yard, at least clean the **** up before you use it. 

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 13:57:22 »
haha damn that's an insane idea :D I like it! I wouldn't even want to cut a quite expensive mouse to pieces though ^^

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 05:59:59 »
Maybe the actuation force on a cherry mx switch is lower than a stock mouse switch, but the travel distance is much greater. Are you able to effectively hover above the actuation point without accidentally clicking? Can you click as rapidly as with a normal mouse button?

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:28:38 »
that mouse is sexy do you sleep with it at night  :))

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 05:19:08 »
After reading some of your post about the ergokeyboard then getting lost in the infromation, saw you posted something about this and I had to see it. It is pretty late now so I probably cant get in too deep in your interesting posts. I will have the check the rest of them out too though!
SmallFry! <3

Offline Lanx

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 10:27:16 »
Maybe the actuation force on a cherry mx switch is lower than a stock mouse switch, but the travel distance is much greater. Are you able to effectively hover above the actuation point without accidentally clicking? Can you click as rapidly as with a normal mouse button?
i play lvl 60 barb, inferno in diablo, so it's gone through lots of clicking with a generally known mousing game. (fps makes me vomit now, bleh)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 11:39:42 »
Lol that's an awesome mod.  It would be interesting to see a mouse in the form of a simple box with 2 mx keycaps poking out the top with a style similar to that of the old IBM puck mice.

I just replaced the innards of such a mouse so I had a working mouse color-matched to my Model M.  So now I have a mouse (the donor) that works in every aspect EXCEPT the left button.

I'll pick up a couple of browns and give this mod a whirl. I really like the idea of using L and R keycaps.

Ron |samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:08:43 »
i play lvl 60 barb, inferno in diablo, so it's gone through lots of clicking with a generally known mousing game. (fps makes me vomit now, bleh)

I had 2 level 60 barbs lol. But I decided that I had no time for endless farming.  What paragon are you? :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 17:12:19 »
Think you could do a decent job modding a G600 for all 4 main button/clicks?

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 21:43:29 »
You need to clean up your keyboard. lol
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Lanx

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:00:56 »
i haven't opened up a logitech mouse in a while, wouldn't know, i just happen to have CM mice, i will say that some mice, just don't seem moddable, if you open em up.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 21:22:41 »
Damn nice mod, dude! I think I'll try doing it on my old Genius Navigator 335

Even if I kill the bloody thing, I won't miss it. And if I do manage to do that, and it does feels nice, it's my M60's time to feel the wrath! :D

I think I'll try it with Cherry MX Red.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 22:35:12 »
Something a little more extendible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200831967382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
$4 mouse, I might get one myslef, its a great mouse.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Lanx

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 02:57:00 »
i couldn't do cherry reds on my mouse, now just for fyi, i have ergo-whites on my kinesis so i like tactile. I tried red and browns/whites on my cherry modded mice, I couldn't do reds cuz it would be the only time i ever bottom out, and it was such a big bottom out (as in when i bottomed out i put lots of pressure on it) i noticed my finger started hurting from it, i know it sounds silly (since i don't bottom out on my keyboard), but i contribute it to the fact that it's only one button i'm focusing on. i switched back to browns on my mouse (whites were too tactile) and the pressure pain went away. Your results could vary of course, just stating my experiences.