Author Topic: Mouse Guide: Mice with superior sensors, an overview and detailed description.  (Read 46290 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Mice with superior sensors. An overview and detailed description.
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:32:24 »
There are still some mice that need to be added. I am still adding "quality and design issues" for each individual mouse when I get the chance (been a busy week), and will add some mice after that. Will also redo the RAT3 part since I have some more information on its performance now.

There are also some mice that are about to be released that will likely find their way onto this list. Like one of the recently announced CM Storm models.

While this will remain primarily a list of mice with sensors that essentially have no prediction or acceleration, at some point I will also add some more general information for people to read. Including descriptions of the problems with laser sensors, what DPI is exactly (common misconception), how a sensor works, and things like that.

It will all be added over time. I will be working on this thread for some time to come.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:34:31 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:31:10 »
Looks like the M30 is Corsair's entry into the IE3 clone market?

I think the M30 is a direct kick in the balls at Razer's DeathAdder rubbish.  Which is pretty easy because how could you produce a mouse any worse than a DA2013?

Good one Corsair, give them bastards a right rogering with no lubing whatsoever  :thumb: .  Make it really sore for them so they won't be able to sit down for a month, that's the least that Razer deserves.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:14:35 »
Added a small section about CPI and polling rates. More general information to be added soon.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 11:14:34 »
I think the M30 is a direct kick in the balls at Razer's DeathAdder rubbish.  Which is pretty easy because how could you produce a mouse any worse than a DA2013?

Good one Corsair, give them bastards a right rogering with no lubing whatsoever  :thumb: .  Make it really sore for them so they won't be able to sit down for a month, that's the least that Razer deserves.

Wait.. do you not like Razer or something? I can't tell...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 15:22:58 »

Wait.. do you not like Razer or something? I can't tell...

Not like would be a euphemism =p to how Elrick feels about Razer

Offline Emospence

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:02:33 »
Good post - information I already knew in my search for the perfect mouse but didn't think to post
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline dmbr

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 13:20:31 »
According to sources here: http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/16266-mouse-hunting-heres-a-great-thread-for-you

The Zowie FK and CL suffer from latency at all DPI steps due to interpolation since they are not the native steps for the sensor, and jitter at the highest DPI setting.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 14:53:22 »
According to sources here: http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/16266-mouse-hunting-heres-a-great-thread-for-you

The Zowie FK and CL suffer from latency at all DPI steps due to interpolation since they are not the native steps for the sensor, and jitter at the highest DPI setting.

Doesn't it also depends on how the MCU is tweaked though?

The odd DPI settings and interpolation has always been an LM and off issue of contention with Zowie stuff.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:02:38 »
MCU? LM?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 04:41:26 »

To those who have experienced lag on the 450 DPI setting, an alternative would be using the 2300 DPI setting with windows setting 3/11, or the 1150 DPI setting at 4/11 which will both get you to that lower DPI (you can do further tweaking in game). Using a windows setting below 6/11 does not do much harm and does not cause the count skipping that you see when going >6/11. Reviews and tests show that the 2300 DPI step does come with more jitter than the other two steps, but it is not horrendous (it seems to be worse as you use a higher polling rate). Takasta's review on OCN shows the jitter at various settings in a lot of detail.

You have to put this in perspective though. The sensors on these mice still perform very well. You will find that when you go into sensor performance at this kind of detail, that there is no perfect mouse out there. It is good to keep sensor performance in mind, but also remember to get something that works for you, instead of something that theoretically has the best sensor. In the end, that is what is going to give you the most enjoyable experience, as well as the best performance. Personally I have no issue with the 450 DPI step on the FK, AM or EC series (used them all). That does not mean the problem does not exist, just that not everyone will perceive this to be an issue.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 05:25:51 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 05:18:31 »
Added the recently released Cooler Master Storm Alcor. This mouse is not yet available everywhere. It is pretty interesting though, implementing a A3090 sensor in a shell that is kind of similar to that of the IME 3.0.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 05:23:39 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 06:48:22 »
Added the recently released Cooler Master Storm Alcor. This mouse is not yet available everywhere. It is pretty interesting though, implementing a A3090 sensor in a shell that is kind of similar to that of the IME 3.0.

I really hope the firmware on that one is good. If so, it would be very attractive. A good sensor, decent scrollwheel and a comfortable shape.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:37:50 »

I really hope the firmware on that one is good. If so, it would be very attractive. A good sensor, decent scrollwheel and a comfortable shape.

The firmware was looking great and the MCU is far better than the one used on the CM Storm Spawn.

But now, the scroll-wheel is actually causing a bit of a commotion you see, because the prototypes all had TTC scroll encoders, while the marketing material says that it uses ALPS and the initial project was that it'd use an ALPS scroll encoder.

It seems they're looking into a way to fix it before releasing, probably replacing the scroll encoder back to ALPS (as was originally intended by Carter).

Neither of them are bad. TTC scroll encoders have a decent feedback and feel smooth, they're very nice for navigating and stuff and playing with them isn't bad, but when it comes to "accuracy", they're really inferior.

The ALPS scroll encoders on the other hand can be very complicated. They're extremely well defined and very accurate, making them the best choice for those that change their weapons using the scroll wheel. But even still, they're not exactly "smooth" and some people don't like them for browsing the web and such, plus you need to be extremely careful when designing a mouse with them or else they may end up like this

PS: Not all mice that use ALPS scroll encoder end up like this. The CM Storm Spawn, Roccat SAVU and Roccat Kone Pure make far less noise than that.

But what really bothers me are those Zhij switches on the side-buttons and middle-button... I don't trust that brand.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:45:37 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:10:40 »
I see what you mean, probably also has a different feel on up / down scroll, too. I guess it has something to do with the wheel mounting design. Really hope CM get it right. This could be truly great mouse then.

My old RAT3 has Zhij switches on the MAIN (left and right click) switches and they've been fine for quite many years (with some abuse thrown in for good measure). I'm sure they're good enough for side and middle buttons, since they're used less than the main ones.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:35:41 »
I see what you mean, probably also has a different feel on up / down scroll, too. I guess it has something to do with the wheel mounting design. Really hope CM get it right. This could be truly great mouse then.

My old RAT3 has Zhij switches on the MAIN (left and right click) switches and they've been fine for quite many years (with some abuse thrown in for good measure). I'm sure they're good enough for side and middle buttons, since they're used less than the main ones.

Sure, but you've got to see how many RMA cases also happened due to those switches exactly on the Cyborg R.A.T mice...

I also have other mice that use Zhij switches on the side buttons (Corsair M60, Roccat SAVU) and even one that uses it on the main buttons (Ozone Radon Opto and god damn, that mouse sucks), but the feedback you get from them really isn't as great as TTC/OMRON nor are they known for being durable.

The side buttons really aren't as important as the main ones, but even still, using OTM or TTC at the middle button should be a standard :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:37:30 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 11:10:01 »
I just want to know what DPI setting is best for gaming :( Hard to decide between delay and jitter.

Anyway, I think this would be relevant info for the OP.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 23:42:20 »
I just want to know what DPI setting is best for gaming :( Hard to decide between delay and jitter.

Anyway, I think this would be relevant info for the OP.

Thanks, information added
More
like this
in the OP.

I appreciate the relevant discussions in the thread. Whenever there is something in it that I find should go in the OP it will be added in time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 23:56:33 by Grim Fandango »

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:18:23 »
Info I found helpful on my search for a new mouse without prediction and other issues:

-snip-

I think I've found my new mouse XD I'm coming from a Cm Storm Xornet, and I got it as it's great with a fingertip grip... The Zowie AM looks brilliant for a fingertip grip as well! What do you think?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:09:44 by SirReallySam »
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:45:24 »
If you do not mind, please refrain from reposting that "god-tier" mouse-guide graphic (all actually valuable resources are more than welcome). It is something different from what I am trying to do in this thread. The idea is to inform people rather than make a short list of mice that people "should use" because "everything else sucks". I should have been more clear about this the first time it was posted.

As a response to your question, the AM was designed to be a claw grip mouse but the shape can work for fingertip as well depending on your specific grip and anatomy of course. As a whole though, I have to say that the community response to the shape of the FK was a lot more positive, mostly due the the AM being so narrow and because it is not the easiest to lift with sides sloped like this /"\ instead of this \"/.

I have added a short section about smoothing in the OP. I did this based on some of the questions that I have seen people ask on the forum.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:48:30 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Added a section about "pixel walk". Also had to divide the OP in 2 posts since it exceeded the max number of characters allowed.

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
If you do not mind, please refrain from reposting that "god-tier" mouse-guide graphic (all actually valuable resources are more than welcome). It is something different from what I am trying to do in this thread. The idea is to inform people rather than make a short list of mice that people "should use" because "everything else sucks". I should have been more clear about this the first time it was posted.

As a response to your question, the AM was designed to be a claw grip mouse but the shape can work for fingertip as well depending on your specific grip and anatomy of course. As a whole though, I have to say that the community response to the shape of the FK was a lot more positive, mostly due the the AM being so narrow and because it is not the easiest to lift with sides sloped like this /"\ instead of this \"/.

I have added a short section about smoothing in the OP. I did this based on some of the questions that I have seen people ask on the forum.

Ok sorry bro ;)  But it does look like a great mouse for me!
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:53:42 »

Too right we need your information to settle what's going on with these devices.  People usually overlook that because the current input devices all look like juvenile lolly bags.  All full of promise but they deliver so little for the money spent.

Just keep on showing us more important info on what these little technological wonders contain, so that we can choose which ones to add to our collection  :thumb: .

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder

Ok sorry bro ;)  But it does look like a great mouse for me!

No worries :D (and thanks for removing it!)

Too right we need your information to settle what's going on with these devices.  People usually overlook that because the current input devices all look like juvenile lolly bags.  All full of promise but they deliver so little for the money spent.

Just keep on showing us more important info on what these little technological wonders contain, so that we can choose which ones to add to our collection  :thumb: .

Thanks for the support! I will continue to add information to the guide. There are still quite a few things I plan to add over time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:57:48 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Improved a lot of small things and added a section about mice sensitivity. This section is not entirely done yet.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Roccat Savu
-Coating: Matte plastic top with slightly rough textured plastic sides.
-Switches used for LMB and RMB: Omron D2FC-F-7N, very little actuation force necessary, soft feedback
-Quality/ Design issues: The textured, slightly grainy plastic coating on the sides scrubs off over time, leaving just smooth plastic.

I disagree with that. First, buttons aren't light at all on savu, they're noticeably stiffer than on xornet or pyra. Second, side grips are *very* rough out of the box, similar to the Precision grip on G9x, and the middle part is slightly rubberized.

BTW I disagree with the use of the word "ergonomic", because it's essentially a misleading buzzword. I'd prefer to see preferred grip there (for example that savu is for claw/fingertip grip).

Otherwise a great post!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~

BTW I disagree with the use of the word "ergonomic", because it's essentially a misleading buzzword. I'd prefer to see preferred grip there (for example that savu is for claw/fingertip grip).

I disagree with you always writing this and raising this ergonomic buzzword issue so frivolously every single time.
He wrote Ergonomic (right-handed) to clarify exactly what it means.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 17:12:23 by the1onewolf »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
The word "ergonomic" is redundant here, because ergonomic != not ambidextrous.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
The word "ergonomic" is redundant here, because ergonomic != not ambidextrous.

Not really if the manufacturer uses the word "ergonomic" to describe their devices than it applies even though it only differentiates itself into being a non-ambidextrous mouse.

Remember most noobs won't know what 'ergonomic' would mean but it helps to highlight the sales pitch on the retail box if that word is used and helps move these items off the shelves, the glory of marketing.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Roccat Savu
-Coating: Matte plastic top with slightly rough textured plastic sides.
-Switches used for LMB and RMB: Omron D2FC-F-7N, very little actuation force necessary, soft feedback
-Quality/ Design issues: The textured, slightly grainy plastic coating on the sides scrubs off over time, leaving just smooth plastic.

I disagree with that. First, buttons aren't light at all on savu, they're noticeably stiffer than on xornet or pyra. Second, side grips are *very* rough out of the box, similar to the Precision grip on G9x, and the middle part is slightly rubberized.

Otherwise a great post!

Thanks for the support! I will take any critique into consideration. I will try to explain my decisions regarding the information about the Savu.

First of all, I will change the wording of "slightly rough" to "very rough" as you suggested since I agree that describes it better. I also like the suggestion of "preferred grip". I will look into it, but it is tricky since people differ so much in their specific anatomy, and there will be no consensus about this kind of thing. Sometimes a manufacturer specifically mentions the grip a mouse is designed for. Maybe I can just use that and add it to the guide.

I use the word "ergonomic" meaning "not ambidextrous". I do this simply because this is the way the term is used by both consumers and manufacturers. For example, with the Savu, Roccat themselves market it as an "ergonomic" mouse. I feel that deviating from it might lead to confusion. I do get what you are saying, which is exactly the reason why I added "right-handed". Perhaps a discussion of when mice are shaped enough to the hand to be called ergonomic could be interesting, but it is unlikely to make the info in the OP more clear (simplifications have to be made to keep it concise).

The Savu uses the Omron D2FC-F-7N. Opinions will differ about what is light and what is not. I understand that. Here it is used as a relative term. It is only called light, because it is lighter than most other common alternatives.  For example, no one would disagree that the Savu LMB and RMB is fairly light compared to for example the huano switches. That said, the shape and design of the mouse can have an impact on the feel of the LMB and RMB. It is possible to go into the difference in feel of the Omron D2FC-F-7N across different mice, but that is a level of precision that is beyond the depth of this thread/guide.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 18:05:00 by Grim Fandango »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
I also like the suggestion of "preferred grip". I will look into it, but it is tricky since people differ so much in their specific anatomy, and there will be no consensus about this kind of thing. Sometimes a manufacturer specifically mentions the grip a mouse is designed for. Maybe I can just use that and add it to the guide.

I've thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that there are essentially only three kinds of grip. I guess it's kinda obvious that something like Func MS-3 isn't really meant for fingertip grip or spawn wouldn't be the best choice for palm grip. If you mention it explicitly, it'll help with full-text search.

The Savu uses the Omron D2FC-F-7N. Opinions will differ about what is light and what is not. I understand that. Here it is used as a relative term. It is only called light, because it is lighter than most other common alternatives.  For example, no one would disagree that the Savu LMB and RMB is fairly light compared to for example the huano switches. That said, the shape and design of the mouse can have an impact on the feel of the LMB and RMB. It is possible to go into the difference in feel of the Omron D2FC-F-7N across different mice, but that is a level of precision that is beyond the depth of this thread/guide.

I prefer to call Huano stiff (there are hardly any stiffer common switches), savu's buttons medium, xornet/spawn's buttons light and whatever is inside pyra, it is very light. The shell makes a huge difference.

Maybe it would be worth mentioning stiffness of the wheel too...? Or is it too much information?

I use the word "ergonomic" meaning "not ambidextrous". I do this simply because this is the way the term is used by both consumers and manufacturers. For example, with the Savu, Roccat themselves market it as an "ergonomic" mouse. I feel that deviating from it might lead to confusion. I do get what you are saying, which is exactly the reason why I added "right-handed". Perhaps a discussion of when mice are shaped enough to the hand to be called ergonomic could be interesting, but it is unlikely to make the info in the OP more clear (simplifications have to be made to keep it concise).

Yeah, but manufacturers will put anything on the box, if it fits the marketing BS-speak. They confuse key rollover with antighosting, make unrealistic claims about polling rate, golden connectors and DPI, etc. Meanwhile, the word "ergonomic" is something quite well defined (i.e. fitting the user), but very subjective in practice. For example, someone with huge hands probably wouldn't consider a small fingertip-grip mouse ergonomic, despite being right-handed.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
I also like the suggestion of "preferred grip". I will look into it, but it is tricky since people differ so much in their specific anatomy, and there will be no consensus about this kind of thing. Sometimes a manufacturer specifically mentions the grip a mouse is designed for. Maybe I can just use that and add it to the guide.

I've thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that there are essentially only three kinds of grip. I guess it's kinda obvious that something like Func MS-3 isn't really meant for fingertip grip or spawn wouldn't be the best choice for palm grip. If you mention it explicitly, it'll help with full-text search.

I prefer to call Huano stiff (there are hardly any stiffer common switches), savu's buttons medium, xornet/spawn's buttons light and whatever is inside pyra, it is very light. The shell makes a huge difference.

Maybe it would be worth mentioning stiffness of the wheel too...? Or is it too much information?

Yeah, but manufacturers will put anything on the box, if it fits the marketing BS-speak. They confuse key rollover with antighosting, make unrealistic claims about polling rate, golden connectors and DPI, etc. Meanwhile, the word "ergonomic" is something quite well defined (i.e. fitting the user), but very subjective in practice. For example, someone with huge hands probably wouldn't consider a small fingertip-grip mouse ergonomic, despite being right-handed.

I think what the OP wrote was very reasonable in response to you.
I think your response was full of ****.
I say it's full of ****, because now you're just arguing semantics now and playing devil's advocate.

Let me demonstrate what you're doing, rhetorically, by your using your very own logic.
Meanwhile, the word "ergonomic" is something quite well defined
1) Palm grip, fingertip grip and claw grip are very well defined grips.
2) You said in a previous post that you wanted to see suggestions. You noted that the preferred grip for the savu is for a claw/fingertip grip. I disagree because somebody I know palms this mouse.
3) Therefore I don't think that's a good suggestion and I dispute your classification of this mouse. In fact I want it removed because I don't consider this to be a claw/fingertip mouse because I think that's way too subjective and somebody with very small hands wouldn't consider this a small fingertip-grip mouse.
but very subjective in practice. For example, someone with huge hands probably wouldn't consider a small fingertip-
grip mouse ergonomic, despite being right-handed.
[/b]

Yeah, but manufacturers will put anything on the box, if it fits the marketing BS-speak.
Then you go on about manufacturing wording?
So you don't like manufacture wording? Well again, the rest of us can play devil's advocate too.
Roccat calls this mouse - ROCCAT Savu Mid-Size Hybrid Gaming Mouse.
Well I think that's just marketing buill**** because, you see, have quite small hands and tiny fingers and I think this mouse is quite large to me. Mid-size is clearly inaccurate and marketing bullspeak because again it's very subjective in practice.
subjective in practice

Meanwhile, the word "ergonomic" is something quite well defined (i.e. fitting the user), but very subjective in practice. For example, someone with huge hands probably wouldn't consider a small fingertip-grip mouse ergonomic, despite being right-handed.

I think this says it all though.
We can always make this sort of argument.
A paraplegic wouldn't consider anything anything sort of highly specialized equipment suited for his/her needs to be ergonomic now, right?
Oh and no two paraplegics would consider the same highly specialized device to be same type of "ergonomic" aka fitting the user.

If you're going to criticize somebody else for using ergonomic, you should also hold yourself to that same standard and refrain from making any statement which could possibly be construed as "over generalizations" or "blanket statements".
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 19:54:55 by the1onewolf »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
I say it's full of ****, because now you're just arguing semantics now and playing devil's advocate.

Isn't semantics what actually matters in the end? And no, I'm not playing a devil's advocate... yet. ^_^

Roccat calls this mouse - ROCCAT Savu Mid-Size Hybrid Gaming Mouse.
Well I think that's just marketing buill**** because, you see, have quite small hands and tiny fingers and I think this mouse is quite large to me. Mid-size is clearly inaccurate and marketing bullspeak because again it's very subjective in practice.

I thought it was BS too at first, but it makes sense. It's smaller than kone, but bigger than pyra/lua; some people call claw/fingertip grip hybrid grip instead. Don't ask me why.

Which leads to another point...

Let me demonstrate what you're doing, rhetorically, by your using your very own logic.
Meanwhile, the word "ergonomic" is something quite well defined
1) Palm grip, fingertip grip and claw grip are very well defined grips.
2) You said in a previous post that you wanted to see suggestions. You noted that the preferred grip for the savu is for a claw/fingertip grip. I disagree because somebody I know palms this mouse.
3) Therefore I don't think that's a good suggestion and I dispute your classification of this mouse. In fact I want it removed because I don't consider this to be a claw/fingertip mouse because I think that's way too subjective and somebody with very small hands wouldn't consider this a small fingertip-grip mouse.

I've heard of a user that grabs the mouse backwards and presses buttons with her palm. Obviously, it would be fallacious to use her as an argument, but the thing is, that kind of behavior isn't statistically relevant. I'm under impression that OP is supposed to consist data that's generally agreed on.

Also, maybe preferred grip truly isn't the best way to go around it, but I thought specifying shape (as a truly objective information) might be too complex.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Added a part about pixel skipping, some more info about sensitivity settings, and added information about the coating issues with the Zowie FK (2014) and the Zowie EC EVO CL.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:01:12 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Added a software section.

Next update will be a mouse characteristics discussion section that deals with things like coating, material of mousefeet, method/type of scrolling wheel used, different types of cords and their pros and cons, and different types of side-buttons (which I left out of the mouse-details on the list itself both to keep it concise, and because I do not have that information for each mouse on the list).

Offline Skull_Angel

I'm not sure if this is really worth mentioning, but recently I had some trouble with the mouse wheel on Roccat's Kone Pure optical (new Titan wheel). The mouse was very easy to disassemble having 4 small philips screws under each corner of the skates, and the fix was easy as well; the issue was caused by debris (dust) entering the mouse though the gap around the scroll wheel and getting stuck in what I could only describe as a large glob of grease. I just wiped it clean and it was fixed; the alarming part was the amount of grease that was used to lube the wheel bits and the speed at which the dust accumulated, the mouse is just over a month old.

Offline qq504756010

based on the formula, Ingame  sensitivity = [OS sensitivity setting] * [DPI setting on the mouse] * [Ingame sensitivity setting]
If I set my ingame sensitivity to 4 without raw input, doesn't it means I have 4 times as sensitive as in windows? how come I doesn't feel like that way? could someone explain plz?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
I'm not sure if this is really worth mentioning, but recently I had some trouble with the mouse wheel on Roccat's Kone Pure optical (new Titan wheel). The mouse was very easy to disassemble having 4 small philips screws under each corner of the skates, and the fix was easy as well; the issue was caused by debris (dust) entering the mouse though the gap around the scroll wheel and getting stuck in what I could only describe as a large glob of grease. I just wiped it clean and it was fixed; the alarming part was the amount of grease that was used to lube the wheel bits and the speed at which the dust accumulated, the mouse is just over a month old.

Thanks for the input! I think these issues are always worth mentioning. If I see an indication that this is a common problem, then your info could go in the OP.

based on the formula, Ingame  sensitivity = [OS sensitivity setting] * [DPI setting on the mouse] * [Ingame sensitivity setting]
If I set my ingame sensitivity to 4 without raw input, doesn't it means I have 4 times as sensitive as in windows? how come I doesn't feel like that way? could someone explain plz?

This is why I said in the sensitivity section that there is no unified measure of sensitivity in games. Different games use sensitivity on not only different scales, but what a setting means for ingame behavior also differs between games. By that I mean that one game could have sensitivity settings of 0-100, while another could have sensitivity settings from 0-10. In both cases a sensitivity of 4 would mean something else. But that is not the only reason why there is an inconsistency between games. Even if you put them both on for example 30% of that scale, it will not always result in the same sensitivity between games. Take the windows sensitivity settings as an example. The settings run from 1 to 11, but the way sensitivity is affected is not in a linear straightforward way. Games can be like that as well. To throw another, third wrench in there, field of view settings often also affect how the the ingame sensitivity setting affects actual ingame sensitivity. Lastly the resolution you play at could play a role here as well.

Long story short, comparing and making sense of different sensitivity settings/scales in different games is a hassle, which is why no one does it.

The [Ingame sensitivity setting] in the equation is the actual multiplication applied by the ingame sensitivity setting. But what that multiplication is, is not always easy to find out. You could ask yourself,  "then why is the formula useful". That is just to give an idea how your sensitivity is derived, and because the other two known sensitivities can be changed, given a certain ingame sensitivity setting. Say, for example, you had a mouse fixed at 800 DPI and used windows 6/11, and you get a new one fixed at 1600 DPI (people who do not install drivers actually use the default DPI value of their mice). You have the option to use the same ingame sensitivity but go windows 4/11. Or you can keep windows 6/11 and find the ingame sensitivity that is the same by using the method of counting the inches it takes to do a 180 degree turn. If you can find the exact sensitivity value (the way sensitivity is multiplied by a setting) for a particular game, you could use that too and just do the calculation. However, my experience is that those are not at all easy to find.

I know. Easy question, complicated answer. You opened pandora's box on that one.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 02:35:34 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Cafiend

Thank you so much for this Fandango.

My next mouse will be the Mionix 7000. I just hope it's big enough.

I have been using the Corsair M65 and it's ok. Also tried the Gigabyte Krypton but that has a button on the right side that drives me nuts. So it's boxed and collecting dust.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
This is an excellent thread, thanks for posting all this!

What is the consensus on the Logitech G5? Ive been using mine now for close to 7 years, the first 4 were heavy with gaming and the last 3 have been at my office desk. I've been very happy with it so far but seeing some of the info here makes me wonder if its worth swapping it out for a g400? I really like the weight system and have mine tuned to a weight that feels perfect for me. I'm hesitant to give that up if the g400 wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
This is an excellent thread, thanks for posting all this!

What is the consensus on the Logitech G5? Ive been using mine now for close to 7 years, the first 4 were heavy with gaming and the last 3 have been at my office desk. I've been very happy with it so far but seeing some of the info here makes me wonder if its worth swapping it out for a g400? I really like the weight system and have mine tuned to a weight that feels perfect for me. I'm hesitant to give that up if the g400 wouldn't be much of an improvement.

G5 is a mouse that many people used to enjoy. As far as I know it used a A6010 sensor. I am sure that sensor does not have any prediction, and I think there is no acceleration either as long as you stay below the max perfect control speed. However, if I remember correctly (this sensor has not been used in any new products for a while now), the knock on the A6010 was that its max perfect tracking speed, and even its malfunction speed are fairly low compared to virtually all modern sensors that have been released since then.

Regarding the weight, I myself am pretty skeptical of these weight systems. I think the G5 is already a fairly heavy mouse like the G500 and G500s, somewhere in that 130-150 grams region. I understand that this is personal preference, and can even imagine how it can actually work well for someone. However, there are also certain ways in which additional weight is objectively worse. For example, when having to pick up the mouse. Another concern with mice that have weight cartridges is the distribution of the weight in the mouse. If you feel the weight gives you better control, you might want to also experiment with using a lighter mouse on a surface that has a little more resistance as a substitute. I am planning to add a discussion section that will have some info and views on these kind of characteristics of a mouse, and what the pro's and cons are. In the end though, it is up to you.

Thank you so much for this Fandango.

My next mouse will be the Mionix 7000. I just hope it's big enough.

I have been using the Corsair M65 and it's ok. Also tried the Gigabyte Krypton but that has a button on the right side that drives me nuts. So it's boxed and collecting dust.

The Mionix Avior 7000 is a bit chunkier than a lot of competing mice that have the same (ambidextrous) form factor. However, it is by no means a "large" mouse. I think it is intended as a claw grip mouse. You can go the the manufacturers website to get the dimensions and compare those to the mouse that you are using now. That should provide you with at least some insight in its size.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:28:12 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Cafiend

Thanks for the reply. I am a claw gripper so the Avior will be my choice.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Somewhat of a noob question / situation, but I hope someone could offer some suggestions.

I've finally gotten a different mouse to play with, after using my Logitech MX 518 for many years.  There's nothing wrong with the MX 518 other than I hate the shape along the right side and shape in general.  I wanted a more comfortable mouse for my hand.  The reason it took so long to upgrade is that I've spent a lot of time reading reviews for every mouse I've considered, and generally found some faults, that made me think "maybe another time".  Finally I decided to try a laser (ADNS 9800, I think) mouse with many side buttons, G600-style (Redragon Perdition) due to very positive reviews and price (was $32 on Amazon)--worth checking out, basically.

Now, my 518 has pretty low sensitivity versus newer mice, and I was generally not using it at max sensitivity anyway--closer to low/middle.  Low polling rate as well.  In Windows, I had 6/11 pointer speed and "enhance pointer precision" enabled habitually, because every time I attempted turning it off, I just couldn't get used to overshooting browser tabs and other imprecision (I have very high resolution monitors). 

Fast forward to this new mouse.  Sensitivity can be set VERY high on it, and it does seem to track differently.  So far the best settings I've found for it are a combination of max sensitivity + low pointer speed (done in mouse software, which also disables "enhance pointer precision" in Windows and lowers in-windows mouse speed to 3 or 4/11 without my intervention), and the second comfortable setting is around 2000 DPI with 6/11 speed enforced in Windows and Enhance Pointer Precision clicked. 

I don't play FPS games--mostly just web browsing, photo / image processing, an occasional MMO and RPG.  Could you recommend if it's better to use proprietary mouse software to set sensitivity and pointer speed or in-Windows settings?  I disabled acceleration is disabled in the mouse software but went back to using Windows settings with some acceleration.  Drawing spirals in Paint seems best with this setting and the other one I mentioned (max sensitivity + low pointer speed).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Somewhat of a noob question / situation, but I hope someone could offer some suggestions.

I've finally gotten a different mouse to play with, after using my Logitech MX 518 for many years.  There's nothing wrong with the MX 518 other than I hate the shape along the right side and shape in general.  I wanted a more comfortable mouse for my hand.  The reason it took so long to upgrade is that I've spent a lot of time reading reviews for every mouse I've considered, and generally found some faults, that made me think "maybe another time".  Finally I decided to try a laser (ADNS 9800, I think) mouse with many side buttons, G600-style (Redragon Perdition) due to very positive reviews and price (was $32 on Amazon)--worth checking out, basically.

Now, my 518 has pretty low sensitivity versus newer mice, and I was generally not using it at max sensitivity anyway--closer to low/middle.  Low polling rate as well.  In Windows, I had 6/11 pointer speed and "enhance pointer precision" enabled habitually, because every time I attempted turning it off, I just couldn't get used to overshooting browser tabs and other imprecision (I have very high resolution monitors). 

Fast forward to this new mouse.  Sensitivity can be set VERY high on it, and it does seem to track differently.  So far the best settings I've found for it are a combination of max sensitivity + low pointer speed (done in mouse software, which also disables "enhance pointer precision" in Windows and lowers in-windows mouse speed to 3 or 4/11 without my intervention), and the second comfortable setting is around 2000 DPI with 6/11 speed enforced in Windows and Enhance Pointer Precision clicked. 

I don't play FPS games--mostly just web browsing, photo / image processing, an occasional MMO and RPG.  Could you recommend if it's better to use proprietary mouse software to set sensitivity and pointer speed or in-Windows settings?  I disabled acceleration is disabled in the mouse software but went back to using Windows settings with some acceleration.  Drawing spirals in Paint seems best with this setting and the other one I mentioned (max sensitivity + low pointer speed).

It's all about what you feel works best for you, but personally I prefer using the mouse software if possible and leaving windows settings on default. However, I'm in a different situation as I have a trackball connected as well(that uses windows settings for speed etc.), and I swap mice somewhat often.

I suppose it also depends on the software and how that handles it, I don't really have any facts on the matter, but my gut feeling tells me that using the software for the mouse is better.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Thanks :)  I can see that results I get from either scenario vary, so I wasn't sure if there's a preferred path.  I'm also not clear on how the software interacts with windows settings, as I can see that it's disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision" and lowers the mouse speed tick count without my intervention.  Definitely going to take me a while to get it right, but it's at "okay" level right now--just not as precise.  Starting out on a spiral from the center, I invariably draw too long of a line before I start to curve it.  No good control on fine scale.  (using a coated hard surface mousepad for better tracking, from various surfaces I've tried so far).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Thanks :)  I can see that results I get from either scenario vary, so I wasn't sure if there's a preferred path.  I'm also not clear on how the software interacts with windows settings, as I can see that it's disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision" and lowers the mouse speed tick count without my intervention.  Definitely going to take me a while to get it right.

Well, some software just act as another way to adjust the windows settings, which kinda defeats the point of the software for me. I'd rather not have adjustments made to one pointing device affect other pointing devices I've got plugged in.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
Thanks :)  I can see that results I get from either scenario vary, so I wasn't sure if there's a preferred path.  I'm also not clear on how the software interacts with windows settings, as I can see that it's disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision" and lowers the mouse speed tick count without my intervention.  Definitely going to take me a while to get it right, but it's at "okay" level right now--just not as precise.  Starting out on a spiral from the center, I invariably draw too long of a line before I start to curve it.  No good control on fine scale.  (using a coated hard surface mousepad for better tracking, from various surfaces I've tried so far).

Installing mouse drivers is usually not necessary and will typically not change the basic tracking properties of the mouse. I say typically, because there are a few examples of mice where the drivers address specific problems with tracking.

Usually however, their main benefit is to add customization. Both in DPI, being able to make several profiles, lighting options, mouse-button bindings and so on.

But there are also reasons why many people do not bother with mouse drivers. You already found out one of them yourself. Often, it is not clear how specific settings affect tracking. Additionally, some settings affect the settings in the operating system making you worse off (like deviating from windows 6/11, can be something you do not want, especially when >6/11). It also makes it hard to use the mouse the way you are used to using it at different computers (you would have to install the driver).

Because this is a mouse and a software I am not familiar with, I would suggest you should just try out its different settings. I wish I could be more helpful.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Thank you for the recommendations.  I can find comfortable settings in both ways (via software and via Windows settings) so far, and I'm sure the final refinement will happen over time.  I'm very convent with this mouse at the moment--just didn't expect such a learning curve going from older optical to a newer laser mouse.

Something I'm wondering: does my MX 518 (at 125 MHz polling rate) have some sort of motion smoothing?  Maybe using higher polling rate (which I've been trying out at 500 and 1000 MHz for the new mouse, but it does have 125 and 250 MHz options as well) makes it a bit more sensitive to mousepad surface texture and imprecise motion?  Or would that not be noticeable in practice?
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:14:16 by Photoelectric »