Author Topic: CST 2545W-RC trackball mouse  (Read 13273 times)

Offline bigpook

CST 2545W-RC trackball mouse
« on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:24:27 »
I got this yesterday and thought I would post some pics.
This trackball has an industrial feel to it. It feels pretty solid and looks like its built to take a fair amount of abuse.

The trackball was sticky at first but has gotten pretty smooth after an hour or so. The scroll wheel at the top is very smooth(it exceeded my expectations actually). One very nice feature that I did not know it had is that it can do 400, 800 and 1600 DPI on the fly. Thats kind of nice.

Next to the HHKB, it looks kind of big.

Here is a side profile, notice the back scratcher that it came with. Its telescoping.

To give a sense of size, here it is next to a kensington orbit

Here it is next to a kensington expert. I think the kensington is a bit wider

side view

The raised bump right forward of the trackball will act as a universal scroll in firefox.
Also pressing it and right clicking will change the DPI. The scroll wheel is directly ahead of it.

It seems well built, and is comfortable to use. But then most trackballs I have used have met that criteria. Let me know if you have any questions.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:31:33 »
That's still one of the best looking trackballs I've seen.

Judging by the photos, it appears that it might be just a tad smaller than the Expert, or is it longer than the Expert but not as wide?  The ball looks like it might be about the same size as that of the Expert.  I had a feeling that scroll wheel would work pretty well.  Glad to hear it does.

Have you used it enough to compare it to the Kensington and form an opinion on which you like better?

I'd like to try one, but probably won't buy anytime soon.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:47:52 »
With the wrist rest included the kensington is about 2 inches longer and about 3/4 inch wider. I think the balls are the same size but it sticks out more on the kensington.

I have only had it for a day but so far so good.

One thing that I think needs to be said here is that these larger trackballs probably require larger hands. I don't think I would like it so much if my hands were small. The scroll wheel is way out in front so to speak, but it works for me as my fingers are long enough to reach it. I am using it now and it is quite smooth.

The kensington expert is another excellent trackball, at least for me. Some complain that the angle is to steep. And it is if you do not use the supplied wrist rest. But with the wrist rest it is fine.

I wouldn't be able to pick between them to tell you the truth. I like trackball mice and have yet to have one that disappointed me.

I am really liking the kensington orbit and may even consider putting it to the right side of the keyboard. We can have two trackballs, right? : )

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:20:32 »
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. Just by eyeballing it they looked to be the same. Yes, the kensington trackball sits higher up. The CST is also firmly in the socket, it won't fall out. I need to take it apart and see whats inside. I ordered an 8 ball so I will take pics when I swap it out.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:36:35 »
I ordered if off of Amazon. Its a third party vendor: CueSight Billiards Supplies
Thats kind of funny and sad that you had to get into a dispute over a billiard ball. I suppose anybody can front a "company" nowadays.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:49:27 »
Thanks for doing the review. I'm considering getting one in maybe a month or so. I have yet to try one of the larger trackballs. I've been using the Logitech Trackman Wheel and before that the Trackman marble and have loved them. But I've have always wondered how well the larger trackballs would work/feel for me.

What has really bothered me the most and what has pretty much kept me from trying them is the button layout. On the Trackman series the button layout is very well done. You basicly lay you hand over the top and every thing is literly right where your hand naturaly sits. But from the pictures of these larger trackballs it looks like the buttons are not as well layed out. It looks to me that you would have to move your hand around to hit the buttons and manipulate the ball. With the trackman you don't.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ozar

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:53:28 »
Quote from: rdjack21;86383
It looks to me that you would have to move your hand around to hit the buttons and manipulate the ball. With the trackman you don't.

I was quite surprised at how quickly you adapt to the button layout on the Kensington Expert.  It was literally just a few minutes before the buttons started feeling very natural right where they are.

Offline Busty

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 06:26:38 »
What wrist rest are you using with the HHKB?

Offline dlarellano

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 07:45:07 »
That looks nice. But it only has three buttons and a scroll wheel, right?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 08:01:41 »
Quote from: Busty;86401
What wrist rest are you using with the HHKB?

I think its this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Wrist-Rest-Pad-Anti-Fatigue-LOT-OF-6-Gray_W0QQitemZ330321083909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item330321083909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A3|294%3A50

its long enough for a full size keyboard, so it overshoots the HHKB. I might be able to shorten it by using a razor-knife. The pad itself is compressed rubber with a thin grey material glued to the top. Its very comfortable.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 08:03:13 »
Quote from: dlarellano;86402
That looks nice. But it only has three buttons and a scroll wheel, right?

There is a universal scroll button that works in firefox ( its the same button that is used to change the DPI). I can also paste with it. But thats about it.

Offline hotswank

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 06:45:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;86403
I think its this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Wrist-Rest-Pad-Anti-Fatigue-LOT-OF-6-Gray_W0QQitemZ330321083909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item330321083909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A3|294%3A50

its long enough for a full size keyboard, so it overshoots the HHKB. I might be able to shorten it by using a razor-knife. The pad itself is compressed rubber with a thin grey material glued to the top. Its very comfortable.

IMO, these are the absolute best rests.  I have four of them.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 07:33:09 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86482
IMO, these are the absolute best rests.  I have four of them.

While they work really well, they tend to get dirty. How do you keep them clean?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 08:05:58 »
Quote from: bigpook;86486
While they work really well, they tend to get dirty. How do you keep them clean?

Mine haven't gotten dirty, but I have seen others just wash them in the kitchen sink with dishwashing detergent like Dawn.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 08:24:05 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86493
Mine haven't gotten dirty, but I have seen others just wash them in the kitchen sink with dishwashing detergent like Dawn.

I got mine off of ebay. It was like 2 for 10 dollars or something. But rather then throw them out when they get too dirty, I will try the dishwashing detergent/kitchen sink.
Have you tried cutting them down? I want to cut one down to make it fit better with the HHKB. I am thinking a razor knife should do the trick.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 08:32:14 »
Quote from: bigpook;86494
I got mine off of ebay. It was like 2 for 10 dollars or something. But rather then throw them out when they get too dirty, I will try the dishwashing detergent/kitchen sink.
Have you tried cutting them down? I want to cut one down to make it fit better with the HHKB. I am thinking a razor knife should do the trick.

I haven't tried to cut mine, but I would think a utility knife would work.  If you wanted to really do some work on it, I bet a jigsaw or, even better, a band saw would work.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 08:55:46 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86495
I haven't tried to cut mine, but I would think a utility knife would work.  If you wanted to really do some work on it, I bet a jigsaw or, even better, a band saw would work.

: ) yeah : ) I'll head over to Norms at "this old house"....

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 09:08:09 »
Quote from: bigpook;86502
: ) yeah : ) I'll head over to Norms at "this old house"....

Isn't Bob Villa on "This Old House."  I know Norm has the "New Yankee Workshop."  They could have changes hosts, I guess.  I haven't seen either in years, though, but NYW is better, IMO.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 09:18:39 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86504
Isn't Bob Villa on "This Old House."  I know Norm has the "New Yankee Workshop."  They could have changes hosts, I guess.  I haven't seen either in years, though, but NYW is better, IMO.

As I no longer have cable, I can't verify. Its been years since I watched that show. I always liked Norm better than Bob too. Norm was the man. I don't think there was ANYTHING that Norm could not build.

There was another show, whos' name I forget, where he only used hand tools. No power tools of any kind. That was pretty awesome too.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 09:22:38 »
Quote from: bigpook;86513
As I no longer have cable, I can't verify. Its been years since I watched that show. I always liked Norm better than Bob too. Norm was the man. I don't think there was ANYTHING that Norm could not build.

There was another show, whos' name I forget, where he only used hand tools. No power tools of any kind. That was pretty awesome too.

Both of those shows should be on PBS.  Did they move them exclusively to cable now (DIY Network)?

When you have a workshop like Norm, you better be able to build anything.

Offline yamaha200

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 10:32:17 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes this trackball. I was meaning to take pictures of it but I always forgot.

Bigpook - I don't consider my hands to be small but they are not big either. I found that if I roll the ball with the top of my palm and the start of my fingers, I could easily reach the scroll wheel.

Yamaha200

Offline bigpook

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 10:45:11 »
Quote from: yamaha200;86521
I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes this trackball. I was meaning to take pictures of it but I always forgot.

Bigpook - I don't consider my hands to be small but they are not big either. I found that if I roll the ball with the top of my palm and the start of my fingers, I could easily reach the scroll wheel.

Yamaha200

Thats cool. I just thought it might be a reach for some people. It does work fine for me. BTW, the scroll wheel is very smooth.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 17:44:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;86495

The razor knife made short work of it. Theres not a whole lot to it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 18:06:39 »
ripster

you are out of control!

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 21:54:58 »
Quote from: ripster;86565
I don't start new projects unless there is an excuse to buy a new tool.

Side benefit: that keeps my wife from asking me to do too many projects.

- Ripster

LOL - I do the same thing :) Drives her nuts. But then again I'm starting to collect some really nice tools too. Her problem is that I've moved to needing power tools (table saw, band saw) and those cost more so we have to wait a little longer between her projects. For my projects I just use what I have and make due.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 April 2009, 06:30:38 »
No, ripster, it would have had to be Porter Cable. ;)  Norm is a hand-crafter.  Us hacks would need a laser-controlled saw. :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 22:26:53 »
Norm is getting a little gray in the beard, but otherwise still looks the same. I wish I had a smidgen of the talent he has. I'd re-do my kitchen.

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 18:53:26 »
Bigpook - I have a question about both the CST trackball and the Kensington Orbit. I will use my left hand so I need the right button to be left click (so I can use my thumb) and the left button to be right click. First, do either of these devices NOT click when a button is pressed? I'd actually prefer that. A quiet device. Second, how much force does it take to press these buttons? Now I know this is not a question you can answer accurately but just your personal opinion. Maybe you can compare it to a typical logitech mouse. What I'm really getting to here is...Are you comfortable using your ring finger / pinky to press one of the buttons of the trackballs?

Finally, how would you rate this device in terms how easy it is for your to take apart and perform maintenance / cleaning. I'm a clean freak so I don't want something that works but is gunky or has parts that get dirty and I can't reach them to clean. I think I was talking to you about the Aeron chair and how I'm OK to spend extra money in the beginning but then over the course of time I expect it to last a real time and give me my money back that way.

Thanks!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 19:48:27 »
Quote from: MANISH7;87936
Bigpook - I have a question about both the CST trackball and the Kensington Orbit. I will use my left hand so I need the right button to be left click (so I can use my thumb) and the left button to be right click. First, do either of these devices NOT click when a button is pressed? I'd actually prefer that. A quiet device. Second, how much force does it take to press these buttons? Now I know this is not a question you can answer accurately but just your personal opinion. Maybe you can compare it to a typical logitech mouse. What I'm really getting to here is...Are you comfortable using your ring finger / pinky to press one of the buttons of the trackballs?

Finally, how would you rate this device in terms how easy it is for your to take apart and perform maintenance / cleaning. I'm a clean freak so I don't want something that works but is gunky or has parts that get dirty and I can't reach them to clean. I think I was talking to you about the Aeron chair and how I'm OK to spend extra money in the beginning but then over the course of time I expect it to last a real time and give me my money back that way.

Thanks!

I would say that the CST does not make a click when the buttons are depressed but the Kensington does. Its not overly loud though.

Its hard to figure the force to click the buttons, but generally it seems to be the same for most mice I try.

I can use all/ any finger to click the button. It depends on the mouse. For instance on the Kensington Expert I would use my thumb to right click and and my ring finger to left click. On the CST I use my forefinger/thumb to right click and my pinky/ring finger to left click(it depends where my hand is at any given time). After a week or so its all the same. Trust me your hands adjust.

The CST is new but it comes apart by removing 3 screws. Supposedly it doesn't get dirty, the metal wheels don't collect gunk. If they do then supposedly you just spin the ball to clear it. We'll see about that over time. But I don't expect it to get fouled up.

I had the Kensington Expert in use for about a year and the ball rests on plastic tits. They never got gunked up on me. Keep in mind that my hands are always clean when I am the computer. I don't eat at the computer either. I also strictly enforce the no cheetos rule.

Both the CST and the Kensington are well built in my opinion. The only downside to the Kensington is the cheap wrist rest they provide. There are two plastic tits that hold it to the base. Real cheap. Mine broke off and I need to figure a way to fix it. And thats the only real downside to the Kensington. Yeah the scroll wheel could have been better designed but it works, and it works well enough to not be an issue.

The CST is a stout mouse. The cord is larger/fatter and the mouse itself is built like a tank. I posted pitcures of it here somewhere and show the metal roller assembly that is inside. Its over-built and IMHO will last a LONG time.

As for the herman miller chairs, thats been flogged pretty hard here but just to recap: yes, they are overpriced ( just like the keyboards and mice I buy ) but I think there is a value there. I don't mind paying more if  I think the quality warrants it. I love my mirra chair and regret I didn't spend the extra 200 to get the fully adjustable model. AS it is, it will last me a very long time, just like the model m mini's that I have.

As a sanity check, just compare the above quoted with a cheap office chair that you would get at office max for 50 dollars and some craptacular keyboard/mice combo they have on sale at Best Buy.

If this is stuff that you are going to spend HOURS using, then it behooves you to get the best you can get for your money.

oooh..I think I am ranting.

sorry, I am off to get a cup of sleepy time tea....

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 20:15:25 »
thank you so much for your reply! yes, i wholeheartedly agree with you about getting the best you can for stuff you use so much everyday.

when you said that the kensington was easy to break - were you referring to the orbit? that's what i'm thinking about getting for $25 with shipping included from amazon. maybe later down the road i'll consider if the cst offers more functionality that deserves $100 more. normally i'd buy the cst within a few days but i need to recover from spending so much money on keyboards within the past month (ROFL - this is a common grievance here).

Offline bigpook

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 20:24:48 »
Quote from: MANISH7;87972
thank you so much for your reply! yes, i wholeheartedly agree with you about getting the best you can for stuff you use so much everyday.

when you said that the kensington was easy to break - were you referring to the orbit? that's what i'm thinking about getting for $25 with shipping included from amazon. maybe later down the road i'll consider if the cst offers more functionality that deserves $100 more. normally i'd buy the cst within a few days but i need to recover from spending so much money on keyboards within the past month (ROFL - this is a common grievance here).

No, the Kensington Expert is not easy to break : ) its the cheesy wrist rest with the two plastic tits that break. Its like a design oversite or something on there part. I wouldn't let that discourage you from getting one.
I have a Kensington Orbit and its a fine two button mouse. The price is good too. You give up the scroll wheel though, but can chord to get universal scrolling in firefox. I actually got used to doing that and it worked out fine for me. Kensington make fine trackballs. Eventually I wll get the new slimblade model but not for awhile. The CST is working out very well for me right now. : )
Lets not talk about what we spend on this stuff : ) Its ridiculous : )

Offline hacfed

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 21:07:50 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/CST-Laser-TRAC-trackball-CST2545W-RC_W0QQitemZ380186360137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5884df7949

Depending on what the shipping quote comes in at, I think I just found an xmas present for myself, else I'll just goto the UK distributor in January. Nice :)
I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 03:46:36 »
Note the 'ship to' section. Unless you have a mailing service, you'll hit the same problem I did when considering that.

Offline hacfed

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 14:33:19 »
I fired off a message and they said shipping would be $29, which works out great. The UK distributor wants 95GBP + 15% VAT + shipping, estimated to be 15GBP. We're talking 130GBP versus 140USD. And customs? *cough* What customs? I think I'll end up buying this item. :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 15:28:10 »
Wow, shows what you can get if you just ask... He even had two at one point if memory serves me right. If you ever need to get rid of it, let me know =P

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 15:40:40 »
FWIW I live about 15 miles from the shipper. If you think he's reaming you on shipping, have him send it to me, and I'll ke^h^h^h forward it to you for whatever it really costs.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hacfed

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 16:58:30 »
Kind offers, thanks! I'm just waiting to see what they intend doing re: contents label/customs, and then I'll purchase. Looking forward to receiving it. I hope it's a good fit for me. At 90GBP this way vs 130GBP from UK supplier, it certainly doesn't sting too much. *fingers crossed*

@ch_123: Yes, the listing was originally for two, now this is the last one. I think his reason for selling might be a tad suspicious 'ordered for an ex-employee' -- why would one employee need two? And if it was a case of one for work, one for home, why would the company pay for that? I suppose it's a handy tax fiddle? I remember when my dad's company bought one of the first batch of 386es to go on sale in Ireland; the order was padded with personal orders, too. I loved 'my' old 386SX. Even got it the 387 math co-pro one year. Ah, good times!

@ricercar: Cheers. Works out at 19GBP, for a 1.5KG Int'l package.. I think it's about right. I mean there could be cheaper options, but it's certainly in the ballpark, and overall works out a fair deal for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2009, 17:05:35 by hacfed »

Offline hacfed

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 December 2009, 17:54:09 »
Purchased for a grand total of 138.95USD, shipped to Ireland. It's a shame they don't have a dozen more. Looking forward to trying this baby out! Don't tell the gf what it cost...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 00:35:08 »
That doesn't sound too bad for such a ball. Congrats.

(must post review later!)
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hacfed

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 04:37:15 »
I really should post a review when I get it! And one for the HHKB, too, though my thoughts on the matter aren't very deep. "Uh yeah, it's great!" hehe

The model I got doesn't have the 3.5mm mono jack sockets 'mfraid, Ripster. Though you have posted your educated guess that both PCBs may be identical? If so, I would certainly consider the mod. As it is though, two buttons and scroll wheel seem plenty for me. If - in the interests of science and geekhackerdom - it were deemed a worthy pursuit to undertake such a mod (for the hell of it), I volunteer to risk my precious baby. Better break out the tiny bit set!

First mod's first though: I want to find a scorpion in amber as the trackball itself. So far I can only find a 50mm one. Meh. Might have to fork out a lot for that one :S