Author Topic: Cheap mice that you love?  (Read 18064 times)

Offline roncore

Cheap mice that you love?
« on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 00:11:21 »
Anybody tried one of these?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200452384011&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=220891f61270a0b58fa3ab83ffff472a&itemid=200452384011&ff4=263602_263622#ht_2260wt_939

This is what I've been using for the past few years (tried a few Microsoft intelli's and combo mice (5000, etc) and a logitech Mx550).  I have never used a mouse that I like as much as this thing.

It has a smooth scroll and pretty accurate point.

I've yet to find anything close, most mice have that clicky scroll, I can't stand that.

What cheap mice do you love, and do you have any suggestions for a new mouse for me?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 07:03:44 »
There's a lot to be said for a simple design that just does the job.

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice if cordless mice came with inductive charging via a mouse mat? That might persuade me to start using them again.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 07:50:32 »
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical.
5 button, Optical, Scroll, USB, Wired and Bulletproof.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2010, 07:52:42 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline firestorm

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 08:07:40 »
I love the Intellimouse Optical.  I've been using one at home for over a decade now.  It was inexpensive and it won't die.  I'm looking to replace it though, since it is extremely shiny and EXTREMELY yellow.  It's disgusting.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 08:18:01 »
I've always liked Microsoft's old serial ball mice. They get great tracking.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 08:24:46 »
As we already know, IBM MO28UO and now ScrollPoint as well.

Logitech M-BJ58

M-M35 or M-S35 when using older systems.

That weird Honeywell thing I presented here a while back...if only for weirdness.

The original Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. I say this is cheap because I got it for around $2.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 09:21:11 »
I used a few of the standard optical microsoft mice; they're pretty good. Although, I originall had to pay $50 for one (back in, 2004?).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 09:25:05 »
Quote from: webwit;166481
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-249-1.htm

Now you mention it, my Wacom graphic tablet comes with that kind of mouse. Shame the buttons on the left/right sides are *exactly* where you grip the mouse making it totally useless. I should check if the software lets you disable those buttons.

But what I really want is a rechargeable mouse with zero lag that has an ultra thin charging mat, that you can place under your preferred mouse mat. I'm thinking along the lines of those inductive chargers for PDAs/mobiles. Not sure how slim they are though.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 10:34:51 »
My favorite mouse ever:

Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 15:49:24 »
When I first got to this site I had a real sore spot about Logitech mice because all the ones that I tried in the past few years were oversized and overly stiff in the buttons. I developed tendinitis in my right hand to match the problems I already have in my left hand. I really hated the Logitech MX1000 and anything that resembled it (which is a lot of Logitechs).

Well, after getting my hands on a bunch of $20-$40 Logitechs yesterday at an Office Supply store, I'm letting go of my Logitech mouse grudge. I found that they made subtle adjustments that make their mice a lot comfortable for a claw/fingertip gripper... even the oversized "ergo" versions that look like odd sculptures. Most notably, they seem to have inserted more travel into their buttons so that they're easy to press.

The small $20-$30 mice were easy to grip and comfortable for the few minutes I tried them out yesterday with a variety of grips. I have pretty big hands. So I think the $20-$40 Logitechs should get some honorable mention though the $40 mice are probably trending toward expensive mice.

Other than this, I can't say much. I haven't owned any inexpensive mice in years unless you count the hokey mice that Apple bundles with their computers before their latest Magic Mouse.

Didj... add another vote for the MS Intellimouse optical though I'm not sure if I'd qualify that as a cheap mouse either... maybe to we who spend lots of dough on keyboards it is, but probably not in general.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2010, 15:52:01 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 17:19:50 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;166579
When I first got to this site I had a real sore spot about Logitech mice because all the ones that I tried in the past few years were oversized and overly stiff in the buttons. I developed tendinitis in my right hand to match the problems I already have in my left hand. I really hated the Logitech MX1000 and anything that resembled it (which is a lot of Logitechs).

Well, after getting my hands on a bunch of $20-$40 Logitechs yesterday at an Office Supply store, I'm letting go of my Logitech mouse grudge. I found that they made subtle adjustments that make their mice a lot comfortable for a claw/fingertip gripper... even the oversized "ergo" versions that look like odd sculptures. Most notably, they seem to have inserted more travel into their buttons so that they're easy to press.

The small $20-$30 mice were easy to grip and comfortable for the few minutes I tried them out yesterday with a variety of grips. I have pretty big hands. So I think the $20-$40 Logitechs should get some honorable mention though the $40 mice are probably trending toward expensive mice.

Other than this, I can't say much. I haven't owned any inexpensive mice in years unless you count the hokey mice that Apple bundles with their computers before their latest Magic Mouse.

Didj... add another vote for the MS Intellimouse optical though I'm not sure if I'd qualify that as a cheap mouse either... maybe to we who spend lots of dough on keyboards it is, but probably not in general.

I think most people would define 'cheap mouse' as being below or around $30ish, anything above that is moderately expensive to very expensive to stupidly expensive (say, $300...)
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 18:57:13 »
Logitech RX250s are quite nice for the money.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 19:31:43 »
Quote from: ch_123;166620
Logitech RX250s are quite nice for the money.

Looks like very similar plastic housing to the M-BJ58.

Obviously upgraded guts, though.
kishy.ca

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 20:32:26 »
I love the IBM TrackPoint L40 trackball/mouse.  They were only like $10 with shipping, and they were new in box.  I like the mechanical tracking ball.  It tracks well.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 20:42:03 »
I have a Logitech M-M35 , as well as a box full of cheapo generic mice, a Microsoft Basic Optical, and the odd built in keyboard trackball / touch pad.

I prefer the M-M35 above all the others, but I prefer a middle button to a scroll wheel (click middle to enable scroll and move mouse forward / back to scroll, click again to disengage scroll).   I don't know how cheap or easy to find one is since I got mine for free from an old closet at work full of stuff going to the trash, but the M-M35 has to be getting up there in age.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 12:41:50 »
Quote from: Manyak;166528
My favorite mouse ever:

Show Image

Hey that's the one I have. Well, mine looks exactly the same, except, slightly more beigey with a blue-grey colour for the wheel and cord.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 12:58:15 »
The cheapest Logitech bulkware mice at ~€7 have always worked well for me. Once a year the left key will start bouncing due to plastic wear. I open it and glue a strip of paper under the key and it's fit for another year. Apparently expensive mice by all fancy manufacturers have the same problem, that's why most people buy a new mouse every year.
Typing on blues.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 13:06:23 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;167062
The cheapest Logitech bulkware mice at ~€7 have always worked well for me. Once a year the left key will start bouncing due to plastic wear. I open it and glue a strip of paper under the key and it's fit for another year. Apparently expensive mice by all fancy manufacturers have the same problem, that's why most people buy a new mouse every year.

Yup, been there, done that for sure.

Those microswitches degrade, and also the flexible part of the plastic which bends when the outside button portion is pressed.

Generally you'll find well-used more recent mice have the left button completely destroyed for tactility and rather rattly while the right remains crisp and firm.
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 13:09:18 »
I have never had that problem before, and I have used the same mouse for years on end.  I just buy new mice frequently because I get bored.  I just bought this one since I got its little brother for my laptop, and I was impressed.  That, and it was cheap.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 13:15:58 »
Quote from: itlnstln;167066
I have never had that problem before, and I have used the same mouse for years on end.  I just buy new mice frequently because I get bored.  I just bought this one since I got its little brother for my laptop, and I was impressed.  That, and it was cheap.

That's the thing, it doesn't seem to happen to older mice (though I'd expect the one you specified WOULD have issues...but looking at the case design, the button tops are not a separate piece of plastic attached with clips, so this may be related). The MO28UO is susceptible to this, which is why I've now got a bunch of them. Logitech M-BJ58 is as well (my friend has one in way worse shape than mine because he gamed with it).

My old Microsoft mice seem pretty good about this, one is a little worn though. The Logitech M-M35 seems bulletproof though.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 13:30:11 »
Quote from: kishy;167070
That's the thing, it doesn't seem to happen to older mice (though I'd expect the one you specified WOULD have issues...but looking at the case design, the button tops are not a separate piece of plastic attached with clips, so this may be related). The MO28UO is susceptible to this, which is why I've now got a bunch of them. Logitech M-BJ58 is as well (my friend has one in way worse shape than mine because he gamed with it).

My old Microsoft mice seem pretty good about this, one is a little worn though. The Logitech M-M35 seems bulletproof though.

Those new wireless microsoft mice have a terrible USB adapter (the metal likes to come loose), my friend is at his third replacement! They even increased his warranty for it. So, I guess even though you pay $80 for a flashy piece of crap, manufacturers would just rather keep replacing it than give quality (kind of like the iPad; once the battery wears out, they give you another one for $100 and toss out the old one -- very environmentally friendly!).

The MO28UO never seemed to have bad buttons to me. I got an old ball one that's compatible with the MO28UO... it's just missing the red wheel, the logo is higher (I think), and it has a ball. But I bet you could swap the innards. And, it's more of a grey than a black.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 17:13:06 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;167077
manufacturers would just rather keep replacing it than give quality (kind of like the iPad; once the battery wears out, they give you another one for $100 and toss out the old one -- very environmentally friendly!).

There must be some republicans over there at Apple then.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 18:06:05 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167464
There must be some republicans over there at Apple then.

LOL, more likely it's some manufacturing/repair process geeks who figured that it's more efficient to ship back an identical replacement unit than to deal with having to refurb your specific unit.

Nobody's really going to know what actually happens until this starts happening, but supposedly they're not actually planning on tossing out the old iPad. It'll just end up going to someone else who shipped their iPad in for battery replacement and you in turn get something that's been through the reburb department for fixing, cleaning, and battery replacement.

If these batteries are like their current batteries, this is probably not going to be a big issue. Whoever's supplying the Apple batteries these days is doing a good job. My Macbook Pro is half a year old and still getting 7+ hours a charge though it's only been through around 25 charge cycles. We use it plugged in most of the time and it takes a while to burn through a 7 hour cycle. There are people online who claim to still be at near full capacity after a hundred charge cycles.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 18:08:56 »
Wow, if only my laptops batteries lasted that long, my Dell Latitude D600 has about 1.5 hours of life per battery.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 18:30:18 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167482
Wow, if only my laptops batteries lasted that long, my Dell Latitude D600 has about 1.5 hours of life per battery.

I assume that you're getting that off of an old battery, right?

I have a D600 too. That thing is down to 30 minutes a charge, but the battery is dog years old. Those older laptops just suck power.
-

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 18:41:10 »
The batteries are original batteries as far as I know.  If I even used my laptop away from my desk enough it would be worth it to get a new battery, but I just always use it while plugged in.  It just works better like that.  Those D600s are good laptops, I never have any issues with mine.  Mine has a little quirk with it though.  Sometimes it won't start up unless you push down lightly on the center of the keyboard.  Really odd, but it has no other issues.  I guess that is why they threw it out at school for MS Windows to grap out of the trash.  I traded him a Dimension 2400 and The Cursed Dell E172FPb for it, and it was the best deal I ever made with him.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 March 2010, 18:43:36 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 02:43:32 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167498
The batteries are original batteries as far as I know.  If I even used my laptop away from my desk enough it would be worth it to get a new battery, but I just always use it while plugged in.  It just works better like that.  Those D600s are good laptops, I never have any issues with mine.  Mine has a little quirk with it though.  Sometimes it won't start up unless you push down lightly on the center of the keyboard.  Really odd, but it has no other issues.  I guess that is why they threw it out at school for MS Windows to grap out of the trash.  I traded him a Dimension 2400 and The Cursed Dell E172FPb for it, and it was the best deal I ever made with him.

Yuck! You know how many dells I could have salvaged and traded MS? It would look fairly odd if I was carrying a dell under my arm each day on the bus. When I was carrying my wonderful Model M home on the bus, the bus driver looked at me odd. What? Didn't he ever see a model M before?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 14:47:01 »
Quote from: kishy;167070
The MO28UO is susceptible to this, which is why I've now got a bunch of them. Logitech M-BJ58 is as well (my friend has one in way worse shape than mine because he gamed with it).

I've also seen these with worn-out left buttons in PC pool usage (that, and the feet seemed to be gone more often than not). Mine is still doing fine, seems I'm not too heavy on the mouse...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Re: Cheap mice that you love?
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 19:55:13 »
The batteries are original batteries as far as I know.  If I even used my laptop away from my desk enough it would be worth it to get a new battery, b

Yuck! You know how many dells I could have salvaged and traded MS? It would look fairly odd if I was carrying a dell under my arm each day on the bus. When I was carrying my wonderful Model M home on the bus, the bus driver looked at me odd. What? Didn't he ever see a model M before?

Those bus drivers give anyone strange looks. The worst is when you have a loaded full size steel AT case in arm. I've also carried CRT monitors on the bus.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 20:52:01 »
In 2010 the schools are throwing away their stuff from 2003.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 21:00:32 »
z
Isn't this 2010? The GoRide for GPS addicts.
Show Image

Hey, I need me one of those holders for my Android phone.
On second thought, nah, I
don't, too distracting.

There hasn't been a new proprietary mouse connector in a while. Come on Apple and Sun get your acts together. :P
Kiibohd

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 23:33:51 »
Never had a mouse less than $40 I enjoyed. I wanted to like the Intellimouse but the primary buttons engage so easily that I need to hover over it.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 16:08:33 »
I like the trackball on my Unicomp On-the-Ball.  Really smooth, but probably not that ergonomic.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 17:15:31 »

Here's a good cheap mouse. They're so common you can't throw a stick without hitting them, but they're some of the best mice I've ever used. They'll last forever and the buttons will never wear out.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:12:26 »
Trackballs are better.  They last longer than forever.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:21:35 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;167892
Show Image

Logitech OEM.
Typing on blues.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:40:16 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;167917
Logitech OEM.

Really? That might explain why I find them decent then.

Certainly more disappointing than other mice I've tried, but they're not terrible.
kishy.ca

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 18:44:25 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167913

tp thread is tp thread

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 19:51:04 »
Syntax Error: 'forever' is not defined.
Kiibohd

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 21:27:53 »
That reminds me of my TI-83+ Silver Edition graphing calculator.  When I would make programs on it, if there was an error in the code it would say "ERR:SYNTAX".  I actually made a program that was like a useless version of Windows for a graphing calculator.  It was pretty funny.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 22:25:53 »
I eventually got a decent typing speed on my TI-83+ Plus Silver. Maybe 20 WPM or so.
Kiibohd

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 01:46:28 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;167892
Show Image

My mouse here at work, nice shape, would be nice for gaming if the sensor wouldn't suck for that. :D

Oh, and the coating on the buttons is peeling off.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 15:21:01 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;167930

Trackballs are better!  They last longer than forever!
Trackballs are good.  Trackpoints too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2010, 20:33:48 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 15:43:37 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;168107
Trackballs are better!  They last longer than forever!

Why do I have to think of the sucky cheap bearings on certain models now?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 15:51:49 »
I am merely stating my opinion.  I think people have figured out my views on mice.  I think I will stop quoting myself now...

Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement
Trackpoints are also good.  Better than trackpads.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 16:12:28 »
M5-2 trackball lasts nowhere near forever. Fragile little thing it is.
kishy.ca

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 17:30:55 »
Quote from: kishy
M5-2 trackball lasts nowhere near forever. Fragile little thing it is.

I like my Unicomp On-the-Ball trackball, I like the placement.  Also, anything will last forever if it is properly cared for.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline MarkWilliamson

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 20:47:29 »
I've been using a Logitech Marble Mouse (which is actually a trackball) for the past few years.  It's not super cheap but I would still say it's pretty cheap for a reasonably decent pointing device.  Apparently they last well, mine has certainly served well so far.  It does occasionally benefit from cleaning but isn't too bad.  The only moving part is the ball, it's tracked optically and it sits on little low-friction nubs, not real bearings.

It's symmetrical so not biased to left or right hand use and it has four buttons (though I only find three of them convenient to get to).  I'm using Linux and configured (using Linux software, the device itself isn't programmable) one of the buttons so that the ball acts as a two-axis mouse "wheel" when it's held.  I think that's better than having a dedicated scroll wheel - the ball is larger and easier to spin quickly, plus it can scroll sideways.  A single click of that button activates the "back" button in browsers.  I configured a click of the 2 main buttons simultaneously to emulate a middle button click (an operation I need rarely).  The 4th button is also mapped to the "middle" button but I don't really use it.  I imagine you could do at least some of this configuration under other OSes but I wouldn't know about that.

One of the major benefits of the trackball is that it's much more efficient in terms of desk space than the mouse.  It can sit right next to the right hand edge of my keyboard and it doesn't need a wide open space surrounding it.  My desk is cluttered and when I used a mouse I kept pushing things off!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 12:01:15 »
I just got the MS Explorer Mouse.  Avoid it.  It's very large, very flat, and the Teflon feet drag on a fabric mousepad.  It is so large that I have a hard time pressing the buttons because my fingers can't reach.  It does track very well, however.  That said, it's little brother makes a fantastic portable to haul with your laptop.  The MS Natural Wireless Laser Rubblerized Ridiculously-Named OMGWTFBBQ Epic-Win Mouse 6000 is still the top of the heap for me.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 12:24:56 »
The scroll wheel is fantastic on both mice (the regular and the mini).  It was one reason why I wanted to check it out.  I'm a "palmer" (rosy, at that), and the Explorer Mouse is just too damn big and flat.  I really don't see how a "clawer" would use it, either.