Author Topic: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?  (Read 149332 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:09:44 »
While I know basically nothing, which all but renders my opinion worthless, it makes more sense (as they are at full capacity anyway) to make our first order with them a single cap at one standard profile that will work on all cherry boards.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #351 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:29:32 »
All for Dolch being the first set made. I guess best to keep it simple and make it the original Dolch set plus Moogle? Or the other way round, Dolch w/ 1.25 mods, center stem, etc. plus separate Tsangan kit a la SP group buys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:31:42 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline dirge

« Reply #352 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:32:45 »
I don't slate his group buy - I slate him!!
Seriously though, I think 7bit's biggest problem is simply an excess of optimism and enthusiasm. Or rather, that he hasn't matured enough to realise that yet.
I'd rather have a community with him than without, I agree I don't know where he gets the energy, but look at what he's doing at the moment, round4 isn't even out the door and he's designing 20 keyboard pcbs!  Guess I'm glass half full when it comes to 7bit :)

While I know basically nothing, which all but renders my opinion worthless, it makes more sense (as they are at full capacity anyway) to make our first order with them a single cap at one standard profile that will work on all cherry boards.
Your opinions not worthless bud, but if your packing hundreds of envelopes to send on with just one keycap in?  Or are you better off putting full keyboard sets in there?  The amount of effort organising collecting money etc is all similar.  So rather do full sets so the efforts worth it.

Just if your going to do an Escape key, get like 40 different colour combinations, go mental, really!  Get it out of geekhacks system so we're finally sick of them :) run it into the ground and then some :D

Just when your doing full sets http://deskthority.net/wiki/Doubleshot_Replacements_Round_4#US_.28US_layout_for_ISO_keyboards.29 do regional keys correctly, not some blank keys and a fat enter.  If your not willing to take on that work yourselves allow someone that will.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:33:03 »
I wonder how popular Graphite would be. Someone needs to make a poll.

Offline dirge

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:37:01 »
All for Dolch being the first set made. I guess best to keep it simple and make it the original Dolch set plus Moogle? Or the other way round, Dolch w/ 1.25 mods, center stem, etc. plus separate Tsangan kit a la SP group buys.

No mate don't keep it simple, make sure that people can access the sets for their country.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 06:44:23 »
Yeah I was more thinking from there point of view, having to do a small run of something compared to there main orders, it's probablly easier for them to just do one profile key, and ship those out than do runs of full sets etc

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 08:49:42 »
I think Dolch is a pretty good candidate for a first run, since it's a pretty well-established set that people like, and there just isn't a complete authentic ANSI set available owing to the layout.

One thing I was really interested in that I don't recall being asked in this thread:  is it going to be possible to have Cherry profile space bars but with center stems to fit modern boards?  How about stepped Cherry caps locks with centered stems?  Those two would be great alongside a Dolch set if it could be done, perhaps have the sets include both the centered and off-centered version; not sure how that would play out exactly or if it's something GMK would be willing to produce.  Maybe that could come later on.

Also, if not Dolch, perhaps something similar but a little darker, more graphite-themed, as others mentioned.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:25:59 »
Full sets will get everything, all size of modifier, different style of caps lock, etc. We won't be f*cking about with kit this add on that. As for languages I am pretty set on doing it right. There is no reason to do it at all if halfassing it. I have some ideas about rolling most similar language layouts into one kit. This affords both minimize amount of options and avoid some language from possible drop due to too small order.  I already gave an example earlier with the Italian/Portuguese/Spanish/Swiss. Same would go for combine US/GB since there are only a few different key. Combine Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish probably. Still working on making the smartest groupings. Don't like have the extra key, well too bad. But I look at it like this, all the keys you could need you have it, you change your board you are covered.
Some things will be polled, some things will be decided by executive decision by Dan and I. If leave it 100% to the community nothing will get done and we all know it if being honest about it.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:29:19 »
Lol, hardass lysol  is right. Everyone wants slightly different sets and sometimes things just need to get done
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:31:57 by The_Beast »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dirge

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:30:54 »
^ Perfect :)

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:44:36 »
Top man Lysol, our hearts are with you and Dan at this point!  :p
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:48:38 »
Full sets will get everything, all size of modifier, different style of caps lock, etc. We won't be f*cking about with kit this add on that. As for languages I am pretty set on doing it right. There is no reason to do it at all if halfassing it. I have some ideas about rolling most similar language layouts into one kit. This affords both minimize amount of options and avoid some language from possible drop due to too small order.  I already gave an example earlier with the Italian/Portuguese/Spanish/Swiss. Same would go for combine US/GB since there are only a few different key. Combine Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish probably. Still working on making the smartest groupings. Don't like have the extra key, well too bad. But I look at it like this, all the keys you could need you have it, you change your board you are covered.
Some things will be polled, some things will be decided by executive decision by Dan and I. If leave it 100% to the community nothing will get done and we all know it if being honest about it.

I like this no-nonsense, straight-forward approach to a possible GB. A set will actually be a SET rather than a bunch of pieces that just confuse everything.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 09:57:22 »

Good route, but polls are quick and easy too.  As much as reasonable, you should try to put things to vote.  Would be different if it were a normal group buy, but in this case you're specifically asking people not to contact them so that makes what you're doing the only option.  You don't want paralysis by analysis for certain.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #363 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 10:10:04 »
We want as many people to get what they want as possible for sure so of course things like color options will be put to vote. I'm just saying things need to be kept in a firm grip, so everything remains clear and easy to understand. Also keep in mind this is going to be hopefully the first of many buy with GMK. We just want to keep it limited and as simple as possible for the first buy with them. So if a favorite color option is not picked the first time, there is no need to get upset, just need to be patient.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 10:48:09 »
Thanks for taking the lead on this Lysol, any idea what the timeline might look like? (IC, polling, GB dates etc)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 10:55:27 »
As soon as we know more detail from GMK we will take the next steps into IC/voting mode.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #366 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 10:57:01 »
I wouldn't go crazy with tons of different sets and configurations and end up like another 'round 4'.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 10:58:48 »
Excellent thoughts lysol.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:08:46 »
*hoping for german iso stuff*

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:09:46 »
lysol/dan 2016

Offline dirge

« Reply #370 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:11:20 »
*hoping for german iso stuff*

Think Lysol more or less confirmed it so yes mate :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:16:42 »
No we aren't going to go crazy with ton of stuff. As outline before we are planning on doing a few smaller thing and then few full set. Full set will have maybe 3-4 language group option encompass as many as possible in as few sets as possible and thats it. Not everything will be attempt to be covered in this first buy. If things are too much option with little interest after votings things will be cut down to achive focus.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:18:46 by lysol »

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:18:38 »
^What lysol said =)

For now, we need to wait on some more specific details from GMK and that likely won't come until early next week at the earliest...

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Re: Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 11:54:10 »
@aggiejy   GMK are asking people not to contact, not Lysol and Dan.

Completely behind Lysol's view here. A set to keep that will cover me if I switch boards.  Perfect
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 12:42:59 »
Right, GMK made that request as they were being overwhelmed with request for info. They only have so much staff and time to answer questions. Especially when many of them are the same questions. So instead they will answer Dan, and Dan will answer you for now.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #375 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 12:48:14 »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #376 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:54:12 »
Right, GMK made that request as they were being overwhelmed with request for info. They only have so much staff and time to answer questions. Especially when many of them are the same questions. So instead they will answer Dan, and Dan will answer you for now.

Right, that's what I meant, but same result.  I think your plan is great! I'm not complaining at all, just making sure there's an effort to include public input which it sounds like there is.  Awesome blossom.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 20:01:33 »
I don't care about receiving extra keycaps with a set as long as the kit includes my layout.

My hope is that people realize that is selfish to kick out some regional layouts just because they want to have only the keycaps they need. The only GB that I remember that didn't forget about any layout is Round 3 and Round 4 and I think it is the way to go this time with GMK.

We have this fantastic and unique chance of pruchasing original Cherry keycaps and I think we all have to make sacrifices so that everyone has their own layout even if we have to receive extra keycaps we don't need. This is my thought and I guess some may agree with that.

Don't ruin this chance by kicking out minority layouts. All the layouts need some love :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #378 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 21:53:33 »
I've always thought that including the extra keys is a good idea as it increases the resale value for people who do not have exactly the same layout as you did when you originally bought the keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Peter

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:33:24 »
May I suggest that we create a 'standard' language-pack for all the non-English users needs
and always offer it as an option, provided it meets minimum order ?
Like in the 'Dolch'-buys from SP .. I think it was 37 extra caps, covering most European needs ..

(I'm willing to pay real money for those caps, other non-English natives are probably also.
It would be nice to be able to just re-key, instead of having a danish, english and german keyboard)
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:41:44 by Peter »

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #380 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 07:58:37 »
im just curious has any contact been made with these guys other then email? also why did they choose Dan? as a German company you think it would be easier to communicate with someone from Germany or Europe but i guess being a big company it doesn't really matter to them just curious is all.

im guessing Dan was the only one that didn't send an email like

"ZOMFG U HAZ CHERRY CAPZ CAN I HAS THEM PLZ!!!, HOW MANIES CAN I BUYZ RIGHT NOWSZZZ@!"

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 09:19:22 »
If I understand, Dan was the first drop of rain in the hurricane.  Early bird gets worms?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 09:40:11 »
I've always thought that including the extra keys is a good idea as it increases the resale value for people who do not have exactly the same layout as you did when you originally bought the keycaps.

I really don't think increased resale value is something we should be thinking/worried about...

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #383 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 09:45:02 »

I really don't think increased resale value is something we should be thinking/worried about...

Cheers,
Resale value isn't just in a monetary sense!
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #384 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 10:01:56 »
After spending some time reviewing various keyboard layouts, I have some good idea of what I think the best groupings are. Assuming it is cost effective we are pretty likely to take this approach of combinations. The only problem is what to do about some of the non alpha keys. Many nationalized layouts also have different legend for some of these like Bloq Mayús, Strg, Echap, Invio, etc. We could take the easy way and simply choose to ignore and omit these using common 'international' legends or US instead. However as one who enjoys collecting different language layout keysets I feel some of these are the most interesting keys in their respective layout. It would be a shame not to include them, though it will make things very difficult and likely much more costly to do so. There is some huge trade off there to consider.
I am thinking the best way to handle these is to include them in the 'modifiers pack' instead of the full sets.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 10:09:51 by lysol »

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #385 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:41:28 »
More caps = more better :D

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #386 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:52:53 »
After spending some time reviewing various keyboard layouts, I have some good idea of what I think the best groupings are. Assuming it is cost effective we are pretty likely to take this approach of combinations. The only problem is what to do about some of the non alpha keys. Many nationalized layouts also have different legend for some of these like Bloq Mayús, Strg, Echap, Invio, etc. We could take the easy way and simply choose to ignore and omit these using common 'international' legends or US instead. However as one who enjoys collecting different language layout keysets I feel some of these are the most interesting keys in their respective layout. It would be a shame not to include them, though it will make things very difficult and likely much more costly to do so. There is some huge trade off there to consider.
I am thinking the best way to handle these is to include them in the 'modifiers pack' instead of the full sets.

So sorry to say for some of you that will want unusual things for your own special custom layouts, you won't get them so don't even make noise about it.
I hope this stays true for EVERYONE

Cheers,
No price quote has been given out yet still so who knows what the price would be, I hope a full set will run around $80 USD that would be amazingly awesome, as of right now
-brand new beige DS can be found for around $80~
-brand new black DS will run you $60-$70 this is for 1.5x mods, 1.25x mods costs a bit more
-used dolch was around $60-$80
Keyboardless

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:55:24 »
Quote from: tsangan
-brand new black DS will run you $60-$70 this is for 1.5x mods, 1.25x mods costs a bit more

Think you got that backwards =)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:56:40 »
Quote from: tsangan

Think you got that backwards =)
Nah I picked up all my 1.5x sets for $50 give or take, my 1.5x set ran me for $75 iirc

I guess price at this exact moment is a bit different now as there's a influx in wanting 1.5x in every community
Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #389 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:57:15 »
Black 1.5 mods are impossible to find in original cherry caps isn't it?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #390 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:57:49 »
Then you have been out of the market for a long time.  The 1.25x mods are still easy to come by...in fact, Reptile just tried to sell me 3x 8113 NIBs for less than $70/each.  I can't even find another set of 1.5x/7x mods lol

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #391 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:58:30 »
Black 1.5 mods are impossible to find in original cherry caps isn't it?

Then you have been out of the market for a long time.  The 1.25x mods are still easy to come by...in fact, Reptile just tried to sell me 3x 8113 NIBs for less than $70/each.  I can't even find another set of 1.5x/7x mods lol
I can still find 1.5x/7x it's not unheard of
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:05:12 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 12:59:28 »
Uh oh!!! we're busting out the pics now....

But in all seriousness, in today's market the black 1.5x mods and 7x spacebars aren't easy enough to come by to evaluate them at a lesser value than the 1.25x mods.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:00:23 »
"impossible" to find was dropped

Just showing its possible
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:09:21 »
Typically it's easiest and cheapest to find black set with 1.25, and beige set with 1.5. Other colorways can vary greatly but most typical 1.5 or something totally odd. People that find the opposite are just lucky/have stupid amount of money to drop, or have some mystery hook up or something. In any case getting new sets made is the easiest way to solve these problems.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:11:09 by lysol »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:15:36 »
Typically it's easiest and cheapest to find black set with 1.25, and beige set with 1.5. Other colorways can vary greatly but most typical 1.5 or something totally odd. People that find the opposite are just lucky/have stupid amount of money to drop, or have some mystery hook up or something. In any case getting new sets made is the easiest way to solve these problems.
I guess?

Mine was purchased just by searching on google and 2 pages later

http://www.tedss.com/2099001441

3 boards were purchased
Keyboardless

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #396 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:17:28 »
Well I guess this won't be a problem anymore, right? I mean, now that every person can have everything they ever wanted *chuckle*

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #397 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:26:15 »
I would call finding some random place that happened to have some old stock lucky. I got that same model NIB awhile back for really cheap as well from a different place. Most of time I find something on a random site that appears to be good, it turns out it was out of stock since 2006 and they forgot to update the page or something like this. On the other hand I seem to have quite good luck on ebay and taobao with used vintage stuff so...

In any case I am much more excited about the prospect of getting some hard to find or new colorways done.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #398 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:30:52 »
Oh definitely, those white on brown in the sample pic looks quite nice I have to say :)
Keyboardless

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #399 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 13:36:06 »
Indeed, I would love a mods set in that colors to go with this alphas...

would be one of few 2tone style colorway I would really want.