Author Topic: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?  (Read 149331 times)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Re: GMK-electronic make cherry keycap ?
« Reply #700 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 12:57:59 »
Yeah I don't think I've seen many RGB sets go on anything other than white on black or black on white Cherry sets

Question, I know that we are trying to make this first buy as quick and easy for GMK (so we start with a good relationship). With that said, will this be a cross forum GB? Or are we not doing that until we do future projects?

it's a good question and something I'll need to talk to lysol about.  We have enough correspondents here on GH that coordinate with other forums to be able to make this a multiforum GB, however, I'm really not interested in trying organize multiforum threads, at least not for this first release.  If anything, if there is interest on other forums, they should vote for someone to put in a large order and send me one lump sum to keep things easy.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #701 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 12:58:35 »
Agreed that the Fn key would be great!
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:00:08 by SmallFry »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #702 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:01:22 »
What about CMY with white legends? And I agree with the Fn key as well.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #703 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:02:30 »
There should be no need to go thread crazy, there's no limitation on participating in GBs here beyond the organizers own discretion. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #704 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:03:47 »
Yeah that's what I was thinking about since this is the first buy. I'm all for whoever wants in can get in, but that does not affect me really. It's mainly more work for the organizers and GMK so I don't think the say is actually mine.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #705 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:04:20 »
Has anyone worked out who can collect money? Depending on how big this gets, we might end up needing multiple paypal collectors.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #706 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:04:44 »
I think it'll depend on the MOQ and if we need to reach out to other communities to obtain those numbers and tiers.  Most members on DT have access to GH, so like alaric said, there is no participation rules.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #707 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:05:46 »
Has anyone worked out who can collect money? Depending on how big this gets, we might end up needing multiple paypal collectors.

lysol did a great job with his recent GB which consisted of nearly 200 orders.  I'll have to lean on him for when we do start collecting.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #708 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:27:50 »
I collected $18K+ in my single PP account on my last buy without issue. So as long as it dosen't get too epic it's not a big deal for me. I have my account registered for those allowances and have no limits. I also have no problem letting someone else have those responsibilities either.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #709 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:28:59 »
I collected $18K+ in my single PP account on my last buy without issue. So as long as it dosen't get too epic it's not a big deal for me. I have my account registered for those allowances and have no limits. I also have no problem letting someone else have those responsibilities either.

...jesus, well fair play I guess lol

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #710 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:32:43 »
You're prepared to get nailed for taxes lysol?  Paypal is required to report to the IRS accounts which do more than $20K in transactions.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #711 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:33:16 »
Meh. I'll get excited when you get a full set going. Or at least moogles/tsangans. People got excited about us finding this manufacturer because they want brand new sets of Dolch, Olivetti, Skidata, and the Cherry classics. Lead time is going to be there no matter what. The sooner we get something going, the sooner we can have it delivered. In the mean time, EK and others are beating us to the punch.

That was my initial reaction as well.  Would much rather start with a full set, but I guess I see how testing the waters could be good.  But to your "at least moogles/tsangans" thing, I think the "Modifer packs in various colors, including ISO enter and short R.Shift" option would cover the moogle part of that at least.  Unless I misunderstand?  Regardless, of the 4 things, that's the only one I'd be interesting in ordering.  But I'm sure there will be plenty of orders to make a go of it.  But, a full set of a safe color would go bonkers I think... hopefully someone else does this.

Trust me, I would have loved to do a Dolch set right off the bat.  There's existing keyboards that could easily be used as a means of mockups and color matching would just make things relatively easy, I think.

But as I've mentioned a bunch of times already, GMK just doesn't have the time slots to do one in the near future.  After we've submitted payment for this GB, lysol and I will once again be polling for full set requirements.

I guess I'm just stupid and not getting it, but why does "near future" matter in getting a price together for a full set?  Will they not quote it if they can't deliver in less than a quarter? Or do they not have a sales department/head/person that can look in a pricing book?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:33:47 »
You're prepared to get nailed for taxes lysol?  Paypal is required to report to the IRS accounts which do more than $20K in transactions.

I would figure that's where a second billing proxy would come in.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #713 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:42:10 »
Meh. I'll get excited when you get a full set going. Or at least moogles/tsangans. People got excited about us finding this manufacturer because they want brand new sets of Dolch, Olivetti, Skidata, and the Cherry classics. Lead time is going to be there no matter what. The sooner we get something going, the sooner we can have it delivered. In the mean time, EK and others are beating us to the punch.

That was my initial reaction as well.  Would much rather start with a full set, but I guess I see how testing the waters could be good.  But to your "at least moogles/tsangans" thing, I think the "Modifer packs in various colors, including ISO enter and short R.Shift" option would cover the moogle part of that at least.  Unless I misunderstand?  Regardless, of the 4 things, that's the only one I'd be interesting in ordering.  But I'm sure there will be plenty of orders to make a go of it.  But, a full set of a safe color would go bonkers I think... hopefully someone else does this.

Trust me, I would have loved to do a Dolch set right off the bat.  There's existing keyboards that could easily be used as a means of mockups and color matching would just make things relatively easy, I think.

But as I've mentioned a bunch of times already, GMK just doesn't have the time slots to do one in the near future.  After we've submitted payment for this GB, lysol and I will once again be polling for full set requirements.

I guess I'm just stupid and not getting it, but why does "near future" matter in getting a price together for a full set?  Will they not quote it if they can't deliver in less than a quarter? Or do they not have a sales department/head/person that can look in a pricing book?

This is their first time dealing with individual requests versus retailers, businesses, industrial manufacturers.  So in short, no they don't have someone that can simply look at a pricing booklet and give us answers.

We are trying to build good grounds with them, and honestly, it has only been less than a week since I first communicated with them (including weekends) so pricing on a full set will be halted until the next couple weeks.  I'm not 'stonewalling' the price, and I understand your need for it which is why it's on my list of questions.  I've already submitted many questions detailing their capabilities, moq, price, colors, color samples, dyesub limitations, pbt usage, etc.  So going forward, it's one thing at a time.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:48:15 »
I can also clearly show that money leaving as well since it was also through paypal. But I will have to look into if it works as it should logicially or not. As in they subtract outgoing from ingoing. If not then I won't be able to collect anymore for groupbuy until January.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:49:16 »
I'm already paying taxes, so I have no issue collecting money and distributing.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #716 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:58:46 »
They do, but you still have to deal with it on your tax return if it's a significant amount traversing your account.  It's under some funky 'hobby' rules for taxation where you can treat it like a business (money in minus money out = gross profit which is taxable)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:00:31 »
It would be awesome if full sets can be delivered before the WASD V2 is released (March 2013)

wont happen lol

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #718 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:15:32 »
Lysol, I got some information for you.

there were some mistakes with leesofi as I can tell.  drugER said he will start a korean group buy IFF (if and only if) the MOQ is 100. 

Anyhow, I pay taxes as well.  I can collect.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #719 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:45:16 »
That seems to be mighty reasonable.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #720 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:47:48 »
It would be awesome if full sets can be delivered before the WASD V2 is released (March 2013)

wont happen lol

Wow, so full sets will come after March 2013?  That is going to be forever :(

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #721 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:50:50 »
I'm already paying taxes, so I have no issue collecting money and distributing.
Man, if you're offering, this would be awesome IMO.  You have the infrastructure up to make it happen.  What would be a fair way to compensate for that?  A per order fee or something?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #722 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:52:57 »

The first rule of keyboard club is be patient. :D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #723 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:54:04 »

wont happen lol

To be fair, even if we submitted a full set order today, we're talking feb-march 2013.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #724 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:55:15 »
To be fair, even if we submitted a full set order today, we're talking feb-march 2013.

So, this time next year. Would STILL be much faster than Round 4. ;-)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #725 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:59:08 »
wont happen lol

That long?  Why do you think that is?  Is the manufacturing process up to 4 months?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #726 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 15:59:25 »
Well, Google translate sucks on KBDmania. I want to participate in the Korean GB for the GMK keycaps! Thanks lee, sherry, drugER!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #727 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:01:25 »

To be fair again, there's something ready made that just needs pricing that could be ready to order as soon as January assuming the pricing isn't redonk.  I'll leave my personal opinions out, but yeah.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #728 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:01:43 »

GH/DT GB from GMK = Round 5.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #729 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:02:45 »
wont happen lol

That long?  Why do you think that is?  Is the manufacturing process up to 4 months?

You should read most of the posts made my Lyson and Dwang in this thread...

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #730 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:04:19 »
It's not that the actual lead time is 4 months.  That is just their current schedule panned out.  Which means they can't accept any orders until then for full sets.  My bet is actual lead time is probably similar to SP's...roughly 4-6 weeks if they have the plastic on hand.

They are currently extremely busy making keycaps for industrial manufacturers and probably for people lurking this thread =)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #731 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:05:50 »
It's not that the actual lead time is 4 months.  That is just their current schedule panned out.  Which means they can't accept any orders until then for full sets.  My bet is actual lead time is probably similar to SP's...roughly 4-6 weeks if they have the plastic on hand.

Wait.

I know I'm not the smartest dude, but I don't remember it being said that they refused to take full set orders until they were through the backlog, just that there was a backlog.

Had I known that they'd refuse the order, my viewpoint on all of this would be radically different.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #732 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:08:07 »
If they could take my invoice today for full sets, they would have said so.  But they explicitly told me they don't have time for it right now and that they can't make any full set orders until at least 4 months down the stretch.  They said they would also let me know if a time slot opens up.  Then again, I'm not an industrial manufacturer and I don't have money up front, so maybe that is just their restriction to me as a customer.  Large companies or retailers may take priority as a result.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #733 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:19:24 »
If they could take my invoice today for full sets, they would have said so.  But they explicitly told me they don't have time for it right now and that they can't make any full set orders until at least 4 months down the stretch.  They said they would also let me know if a time slot opens up.  Then again, I'm not an industrial manufacturer and I don't have money up front, so maybe that is just their restriction to me as a customer.  Large companies or retailers may take priority as a result.

Typically, in a manufacturing scenario like this, back orders are mentioned not so much as to say "Not interested" as much as "Listen, do you need this yesterday like our normal business partners?"  Why go through the process of invoicing, billing and whatnot to find out that prospective client is too impatient and goes somewhere else, leaving the manufacturer to foot the bill for man hours worked to prep the project for sale.

Offline nebo

« Reply #734 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:44:14 »
Would it be possible to find out if they can make caps lock stylized like on the G80 2550? That with a center stem would be the greatest key ever.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:45:22 »
Would it be possible to find out if they can make caps lock stylized like on the G80 2550? That with a center stem would be the greatest key ever.

That is easy, but the down arrow is pad printed.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #736 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:47:22 »
removed to avoid drama
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:10:32 by lysol »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #737 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:59:07 »
I wonder if this was the "more interesting than CCnB" thing he'd been talking about?  /shrug

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #738 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:35:07 »
Yeah, whatever happened to CCnB?  That was the set I was most looking forwards to second only to a yellow set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:42:02 »
Yeah, whatever happened to CCnB?  That was the set I was most looking forwards to second only to a yellow set.

Put on hold for "something more interesting" according to sherry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #740 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:48:12 »
I heard that, but months ago.  Has anything interesting been announced?

Just curious, not complaining :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #741 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:52:21 »
Stickers?  Honestly, I can't think of anything.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #742 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:03:22 »
CCnB would sell like hotcakes.  If not one else is going to start it, I would have.  But I wasn't going to consider it until the cherry legends project finished.  Now with GMK, it's all weird.  I'm half tempted to call them and just pay for ~50 full sets out of pocket.  But, hopefully someone else will do this... like techkeys. <hint hint> :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #743 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:32:32 »
CCnB with Cherry legends would be awesome - maybe if GMK works out it could be proposed as one of the first full sets?  In amongst all the Dolch and Miami and everything else that people are clamouring for.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #744 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:35:06 »
Lysol, I got some information for you.

there were some mistakes with leesofi as I can tell.  drugER said he will start a korean group buy IFF (if and only if) the MOQ is 100. 

Anyhow, I pay taxes as well.  I can collect.
he wrote he offered 100 sets to GMK. its what i mean.
i cant know their hide section. red line is only their league.

drugER cant run GB on kbdmania by rule because he is selling keycaps on his own blog with profit.(but he always grumble for loss)
So kant maybe help him for GB on kbdmania.

i dont want to care their project. i am not interested in kbdmania more.
money than human. oops

good luck to keyboardstory and red-line.

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #745 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:43:44 »
It's too bad that you don't like KBDMania anymore Lee. We like you over here though!

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #746 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:45:18 »
We love lee.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #747 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 21:47:41 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff