Yoe's 60% custom Alps build
36 (38.7%)
hwood34's KMAC with OG Dolch
39 (41.9%)
BillNye's 360 Corsa
18 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: Wed, 08 April 2015, 17:10:23

Author Topic: Keyboard of the month - March - Result..?  (Read 16694 times)

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
Re: Keyboard of the month - March - Result..?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 02:08:09 »
But on another note, congrats yoe! I know that when I first got into vintage stuff, I had to get all kinds of help to make anything work (I still do :p). But you really wanted to do something, and you went out and made it yourself. I don't remember if you made the wooden case after the thread went up, but that was one of the more impressive things for me (looked nice as hell :cool:)

Thank you! I'm glad you guys appreciate it :)

Wow. Some actual drama on the board here... :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 05:48:24 »
That is most unfortunate.

I seem to recall nominating hwood's wonderful keyboard, and I voted for it - once.

This is a community, there is no financial gain or anything for winning this, it is just some community fun.

Anyway congratulations Yoe - as I said earlier, as usual it was a difficult choice (although I might have been slightly biased what with all that nomination stuff) ;) :D

I hope this does not cast a shadow on future KOTM :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:11:45 »
Perhaps something could be implemented like the 25 posts, 2 months of membership to keep votes legit?

And were all winners getting to see these excellent keyboards.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:15:07 »
Yeah, a requirement like the classifieds would certainly be the best way to solve this sort of problem.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:27:39 »
Or simply hiding the poll results.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:28:30 »
Congrats Yoe! That's a damn fine keyboard you built yourself there. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:29:42 »

This can be done.  I kept them visible because I never thought something like this would happen, and it makes it more fun (seeing the votes come in and waiting in anticipation).  But if we decide as a whole that hiding them is in the best interest, we can do that.  Maybe we could have a poll to find out?  :))  (but seriously :P )

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:38:49 »

That board is so cool :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:40:21 »

That board is so cool :)

But is it Tactile cool? I think so. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 09:04:47 »
Congrats Yoe.  Wonderful work.

I also have to say sorry that crap happened hwood.  I don't think anyone is thinking that you're shady and trying to game anything. 

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 09:33:14 »
Thanks, guys! ^^

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 11:20:43 »
I also have to say sorry that crap happened hwood.  I don't think anyone is thinking that you're shady and trying to game anything.
thanks, all I can really hope for at at this point...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:48:54 »
Big congratz to Yoe first of all!  :thumb:

I agree that its pretty sad to see what happened and how apparently someone tried to game the system. =/

Yeah, a requirement like the classifieds would certainly be the best way to solve this sort of problem.

This can be done.  I kept them visible because I never thought something like this would happen, and it makes it more fun (seeing the votes come in and waiting in anticipation).  But if we decide as a whole that hiding them is in the best interest, we can do that.  Maybe we could have a poll to find out?  :))  (but seriously :P )

If its possible I would honestly much prefer to have to have requirements like post count or time registered rather then hiding vote results,
since like Hoff said it just makes it more fun and exciting too see the votes and get an idea who's currently leading!  :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:40:45 »
The problem with that is, you can't moderate voting in a thread like you can with posting in a sub-forum. With classifieds you have to wait until your post is approved, and in that time the mods can check your post history and make sure you are up to standards.

With voting, the moderators would have to look at the google document of votes, then remove the votes that have been cast by inactive or new accounts. Just like I have had to do with them this month.

I think it's impractical to do that every month, and it would make leaving the results up for everyone to see a pointless venture, seeing as the final vote would be different from the one you guys would be seeing.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:41:21 »
Congrats Yoe, and sorry to hwood for having victory snatched away from you.

Whatever the thinking behind it, my mind is boggled as to why anyone would cheat a prize-less contest - my best guess is that we have a racist in our midst who couldn't stand the thought of a Swede winning.  Seems as likely as any other reason!

I wrote out how to cheat every kind of limit that could be applied, but decided against posting it.  The short version is that any not-so-stupid person will always be able to cheat, thankfully this time they were stupid as well as dishonest so got caught.

The best way to combat this would be to make more people vote - more votes mean more dodgy ones would be needed to have an impact on the result.  There are over 600 users online now and it's far from peak time, why were there only 86 legit votes?

Maybe we should have a "Keyboard of the month" section on the main index page, where only katushkin can start threads so more people see it and vote?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:47:02 »
Rip hwood

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 17:35:52 »
Maybe we should have a "Keyboard of the month" section on the main index page, where only katushkin can start threads so more people see it and vote?

I like this idea.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:04:16 »
Congrats Yoe.  :thumb:

Sorry this **** happened hwood.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:21:54 »
Congrats Yoe, and sorry to hwood for having victory snatched away from you.

Whatever the thinking behind it, my mind is boggled as to why anyone would cheat a prize-less contest - my best guess is that we have a racist in our midst who couldn't stand the thought of a Swede winning.  Seems as likely as any other reason!

I wrote out how to cheat every kind of limit that could be applied, but decided against posting it.  The short version is that any not-so-stupid person will always be able to cheat, thankfully this time they were stupid as well as dishonest so got caught.

The best way to combat this would be to make more people vote - more votes mean more dodgy ones would be needed to have an impact on the result.  There are over 600 users online now and it's far from peak time, why were there only 86 legit votes?

Yes this ought to be a sub forum for better exposure.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:54:14 »

I like this idea.

This is possible. I'll get back to you guys on a verdict.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:15:36 »

I like this idea.

This is possible. I'll get back to you guys on a verdict.

<3  :-*

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:46:56 »
People gaming the voting are missing the point entirely, and it's very unfortunate. These are three great boards, each of whose owners should be proud of what they're put forth. Voting is second to us enjoying these boards each in their own respective ways.

I hope in the coming months I can enter some of my boards in the running, I'd love to have them entered into the running  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:57:18 »
People gaming the voting are missing the point entirely, and it's very unfortunate. These are three great boards, each of whose owners should be proud of what they're put forth. Voting is second to us enjoying these boards each in their own respective ways.

I hope in the coming months I can enter some of my boards in the running, I'd love to have them entered into the running  :thumb:

I'm with you. I've got one or two custom projects in the works, putting my own original spin on things and trying to leverage my background as a former CNC machinist who still has some good connections in the industry.

My boards:
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 21:02:16 »
Well I will be running the competition for as long as people nominate boards, so don't worry about that :)

Also, I am running through some ideas for the winner of Keyboard of the year, so there will be a prize, but I will announce it at the end of the year, so watch this space.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 21:12:30 »
I'm with you. I've got one or two custom projects in the works, putting my own original spin on things and trying to leverage my background as a former CNC machinist who still has some good connections in the industry.

Sounds awesome! You have me excite.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 01:08:14 »
Thank you all! I agree that the KOTM thing should have a place on the index page. More voters = more fun and harder to sway the results.

Looking forward to this! Just loooooove to see well made projects... :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:57:54 »

And will you be hiding the results of that poll? :p

+1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:18:33 »
Thanks for the support guys. Hopefully we can get a KOTM sub-forum up and running before the next nomination thread on Thursday.