Author Topic: Got my first PCB, but I don't know what the model or make is.  (Read 2479 times)

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
Hey folks, long-time lurker, first time builder and first-time posting!
So, I just got my first PCB from Lazada, the advertising says it's DZ60, but I don't see any markings to indicate that it is. The default layout seem to use arrow keys. However, to the right-hand side of the up arrow key, it does not seem to do anything, I assumed that it will be a `del` key or something (maybe it's programmable? or something wrong with it)

Here are the images of the PCB: https://imgur.com/a/bWmyq40
The images with a tweezer is to mark the right-hand side of the up arrow key that does not seem to do anything.

First question:
Is there any way I can find out what the PCB make is, because I would like to flash the PCB. I tried asking the seller, and he pretty much just ghosted me.

Second question:
What happens if I flash the PCB with the wrong configuration, do I need to desolder the switches to reset?

Thank you!

PS: I didn't buy this from KBDfans because of import tax is too damn high in my country, but maybe i should in the future.

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Got my first PCB, but I don't know what the model or make is.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 21:20:05 »
In not one of those pictures are you touching the up arrow and the 2nd to last pic you are connecting the wrong pins entirely for a switch (they are too close together).

I'm not sure what PCB that is, but it is not a V3 DZ60 based on the pics on KBDfans website.
It's possible it's a reject or an older model, it lacks badging and it has diagnostic contact points on one side, which the on on KBDfans lacks.

What will happen if you flash the wrong configuration, usually nothing, the layout just isn't compatible. It's when you flash the wrong firmware entirely that bad things happen.

My advice,
Look up the processor it uses, if it matches, then at least you can try the DZ60 QMK firmware without fear of bricking it. If that doesn't work you may have to to do your own QMK, but at least you have a starting point.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 21:40:02 »
Thanks for the reply, friend.

I just checked the MCU make: MEGA32U4 -MU, and from a quick look on git, seem like it's compatible. QMK looks fascinating, it's gonna be my first time writing a bit of C.

Thanks for the help :)

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 17:40:50 »
Most of the PCBs coming out of China are based on the GH60 so try firmware for DZ60 rev1 (which is different from rev2 and 3) and GH60 Satan and chances are one of them will work.

There is a RESET label left of the controller chip with two pads under it - if you flash the wrong firmware so none of the keys work you can short those pads to get it back into bootloader (ready to flash) mode, no need to desolder the switches.

Edit:  Note for future readers - the above "flash it and hope" advice only applies if you have the standard ATMEL MEGA32U4 controller chip, flashing these to another chip may result in bricking.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 03:29:27 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 20:57:42 »
While true much of the time, assuming this is a great way to absolutely brick a keyboard, checking the processor is important.

The problem with Satan and GH60 is while it would probably work, their prebuilt firmware lacks the RGB system the DZ has. It would still be a starting point though.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:38:19 »
The good news is, I tried the DZ60 rev 1 firmware, and it worked like a charm.
There is a chance that it will be brick the PCB completely, even after a reset? That's scary.

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:51:16 »
The good news is, I tried the DZ60 rev 1 firmware, and it worked like a charm.
There is a chance that it will be brick the PCB completely, even after a reset? That's scary.
No, if you flash QMK to an incompatible processor it can brick.

Flashing the wrong QMK just leads to a wrong layout (usually, though not always*), what S.O. is referring to is how to put the chip into download mode if it gets stuck.

*You would need to use a very different yet still QMK compatible family of processor.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 03:19:24 »
While true much of the time, assuming this is a great way to absolutely brick a keyboard, checking the processor is important.
True - my post was written having seen you had already checked this.  I'll add a caveat so a future overkeen newbie doesn't skip that step.

Also, glad to hear you got it working zedbraxmen :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 03:31:35 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 19:30:15 »
Sorry for the late response!
Thank you all for the help, and thank you for making a newbie feel welcomed :) This community is awesome ;)

HHKB Kei | Constellation