Author Topic: Trackball Balls?  (Read 16143 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

Trackball Balls?
« on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 17:11:17 »
Seeing ripster's steel ball and billiard ball -based trackballs got me interested, and now today's enthusiasm is for trackballs.

After ordering TWO DT225s, wondering what kind of cool things people have found to use as trackballs.

First thing I thought of and remembered was this:

Tritium Spheres, but alas he only makes them up to 18mm, and the laws on this in the US are kind of gray-area (the stuff is technically radioactive).

So then after thinking about things like crystal balls in cultish shops, found out Ebay has lots of neat polished stone spheres, many guaranteed to have high energy levels... just search for the size + "sphere" and you get tons of results from cheap up to hundreds of dollars.

Even saw a laser-engraved ball, like the tourist shop paperweights have... wish there were different designs, though:

Before I buy something though, just wondering if there are any more neat ideas out there...
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2009, 17:16:15 by AndrewZorn »

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 18:28:43 »
Tritium spheres just sounds bad for your health.  I kind of like the idea of Ripster's steel ball myself.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline AndrewZorn

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 18:46:17 »
nonsense!  when has radiation ever hurt anyone?

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2009, 18:55:27 by AndrewZorn »

Offline chimera15

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 20:30:59 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;123534
Seeing ripster's steel ball and billiard ball -based trackballs got me interested, and now today's enthusiasm is for trackballs.

After ordering TWO DT225s, wondering what kind of cool things people have found to use as trackballs.

First thing I thought of and remembered was this:

Show Image

Tritium Spheres, but alas he only makes them up to 18mm, and the laws on this in the US are kind of gray-area (the stuff is technically radioactive).

So then after thinking about things like crystal balls in cultish shops, found out Ebay has lots of neat polished stone spheres, many guaranteed to have high energy levels... just search for the size + "sphere" and you get tons of results from cheap up to hundreds of dollars.

Show Image

Even saw a laser-engraved ball, like the tourist shop paperweights have... wish there were different designs, though:

Show Image

Before I buy something though, just wondering if there are any more neat ideas out there...

A glass ball might work, but I already tried the stone spheres.  Almost all of them have very slight imperfections that make it no good, at least for a steel bearing trackball.  One that uses rollers for bearings they might work on of course.

I looked for alternatives for TBE's for a long time and couldn't find anything.  They have a really odd size as well.  Acrylic spheres don't work either.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline AndrewZorn

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 21:56:39 »
the DT225 uses rollers, yes?
but yeah, ive suspected that something a person worshipping candles calles "perfectly round" might be different than what a computer part calls "perfectly round"

or do you mean just the small bumps/cracks causing little skips?

Offline TWX

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2009, 19:50:02 »
I just tested my various trackballs with a vernier caliper and they seem to range from 56.8mm to 57.3mm.  I have an old ADB Kensington Turbo Mouse, which was 57.3mm, the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro, which was almost exactly 57mm on the dot, and four balls for another old Apple trackball that's now no longer around, and two were 56.8mm, two were 57.3mm.

2.250" is 57.15mm.  I don't know if they were shooting for SAE or metric, but either way, something in the 2.250" or 57mm would probably work great for the standard large ball.  An American billiard ball is 2.25" by design and a British billiard ball is 56mm, so I'd bet that either would work in most large ball trackballs, but the American ball is probably a slightly better fit.  That ~1mm isn't much, but it could be quite the difference.

I'd think the problem with a large optical trackball with a nonstandard ball (like a semi-polished stone sphere) would be twofold- one, the imperfections in the stone would stick on the three points of contact, and two, the material itself would abrade the three points down.  For a rollered trackball, if the nonstandard ball is abrasive it would probably start to wear on the rollers as well, albeit not quite as quickly as the optical, especially depending on what those rollers are made out of.  My Expert Mouse and Turbo Mouse both have steel rollers, so they're probably good for more abuse than any with plastic, but I'd think plastic ones would suffer a lot of wear fairly quickly with something like stone.  Keep in mind that the ball for a large trackball is light and rigid in addition to being smooth, so the lack of weight and the lack of plasticity should both be good traits for not wearing the rest of the mechanism out.

EDIT: I just re-measured the Expert Mouse Pro's ball in inches, and with two decimals of precision I got 2.25".  When I can find my micrometers I'll recheck to see how close to 2.250" it really is.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2009, 19:52:20 by TWX »
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline o2dazone

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 October 2009, 23:23:42 »
anyone have suggestions or dimensions for an MTO?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 October 2009, 15:18:31 »
I have two trackballs (the Trackpoint L40 and the IBM Model M5-2), the M5-2 with an easily replaceable ball. When I got it though, it was pretty dirty and beat-up, and had a yellow tracking ball instead of the usual gray ones. Currently, I still use the yellow one since it works perfectly well.

One day, however, I saw some marbles at a store and they really looked like they'd fit into the trackball. So I bought one and it did. They make neat trackballs. I'll post some pictures later.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:28:05 »
How easy is it to replace the L40's ball? How big is it relative to the M5-1s?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:33:15 »
I haven't figured out how to replace the ball in a Trackpoint L40 yet.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:36:29 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;137241
I haven't figured out how to replace the ball in a Trackpoint L40 yet.

I haven't figured it out either, but even if I could, I wouldn't because I like this one.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 15:41:43 »
How big is it relative to the M5-2's trackball?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:03:28 »
It is bigger, its slightly larger than a golf ball.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:16:08 »
As for the mouse itself, how big is it compared with regular mice?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:18:49 »
It is about average, it is the same size as an old IBM mouse.  Perhaps that's because it is an IBM...

Here's a pic:

tp thread is tp thread

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:30:55 »
Ah right. The pictures make it somewhat hard to figure out whether it's a small mouse, or a regular mouse with large buttons.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:41:27 »
I'll get a better picture for you soon.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:48:27 »
Cool. A comparative one if possible would be nice.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 18:47:55 »
Here is a picture:

The one on the left is your standard Microsoft mouse, the ball in the middle is a 25mm trackball from my Unicomp On-the-Ball, there is a tape measure, then my TrackPoint L40.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2009, 18:57:09 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline PRISONER 24601

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 07:56:11 »
This thread makes me wonder... Instead of lead, I could weigh down my G80 with some depleted uranium...hmmm....
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 08:18:32 »
Nice pic, thanks!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 12:59:35 »
Did some reading into the L40SX laptop - apparently the Trackpoint was an optional extra, costing $159. Also, keyboard should be easy to recognize -

It could even be fitted with the same optional numpad...

Offline AndrewZorn

Trackball Balls?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 18:15:35 »
i had one even older... too bad i tried to take it apart, hoping to use the screen...

even had the trackball extension thing... stuck out the side like that photoshopped picture someone here has.

man, its long gone in the garbage.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 19:09:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;137481
Did some reading into the L40SX laptop - apparently the Trackpoint was an optional extra, costing $159. Also, keyboard should be easy to recognize -

Show Image

It could even be fitted with the same optional numpad...

That keyboard is an IBM M4.  I would recognize one anywhere, considering it was my first IBM keyboard.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 19:59:01 »
Quote from: ripster;137494
Bwahahah!  That looks like a laptop IBM would design - practical and ugly.  It's my M4s big brother!

WHATTTT???  I have a IBM ThinkPad and I find that offensive.  Actually, the ThinkPad is the glaring exception.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 20:16:25 »
I like the look of the Thinkpads, they seem so professional.  I wish I had one.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 December 2009, 07:32:33 »
My Lapis Lazuli trackball works very well. I haven't used my mouse much since I've gotten it.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:20:48 »
I think I should get an old Mighty Mouse to go with my Trackpoint L40.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 11:41:53 »
I got the L40 Trackpoint in the post today. I decided to keep it for Christmas, but I popped open the box to take a look at it just to make sure everything was present and correct. I didn't bother plugging it in because it looked like it hadn't seen the light of day in almost 20 years (it was dated 29th Oct 1992) but some initial observations -

1) It's a nice size. The Trackball is a bit bigger than that of the ball in a Logitech Trackman. As regards the mousing end of things, it was somewhat clunky, but certainly usable.

2) The buttons responsible for converting it from trackball to mouse and vice versa were quite stiff. I'd say they probably wear in after a bit of use.

3) I was wondering how they'd prevent the mouse buttons from being pressed when being used as a Trackball. Something that isn't obvious from the pictures is that it's designed in such a way that when in Trackball configuration, the buttons of the mouse disconnect and stand out like little supports.

I will post up a more detailed analysis some time after Christmas =)
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2009, 15:03:42 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 17:13:50 »
With a Trackpoint L40 (I got one a few months ago), when in tracking ball mode, the two mouse buttons on the other side pop out so they cannot be pressed without being unlocked. They act, like you said, as little supports for the mouse.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 17:51:39 »
The L40 is a very good mouse.
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 19:09:37 »
They are very high quality products.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Trackball Balls?
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 27 December 2009, 15:36:50 »
I've been using this L40 Trackpoint since I got it on Christmas. It's a very interesting device, but as I suspected, it's not exactly suited for use as a primary mouse... The ball is too small to be used as a index/middle finger trackball á la the Kensington Expert. Single finger use is possible but I find that somewhat uncomfortable/inaccurate. The mouse end of things suffers almost exactly the opposite problem - it's rather large and ungainly, even for someone with largish hands like mine. Also, the cable is rather short.

What can be said for is that it's excellent for what it was designed for - a laptop mouse. As a Trackball, the thing is compact enough so that you can hold it in the palm of your hand and use your thumb to rotate the ball... I suspect IBM may have intended the mouse to be used like this, especially given the lock buttons for drag and drop operations. Despite it's rather unergonomic design, the mouse 'mode' (as the manual calls it) is perfectly usable, at least as much as a two button ball mouse can be at least.

But hey, for $5, you can't really go a whole lot wrong if you're interested in it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2009, 15:40:49 by ch_123 »