Author Topic: Painting an Aluminum Case?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline mike-y

Painting an Aluminum Case?
« on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 16:08:53 »
Has anyone successfully painted an anodized aluminum case?  From one source, I've read that you can't do this at all without first removing the anodizing, and from another source, I'm reading that you can paint it as long as you remove the clear sealant layer first.

I've got a black anodized aluminum case that I'd like to freshen up on the cheap with spray paint of some sort, but I don't want to ruin it by using the incorrect method.

Offline senso

Re: Painting an Aluminum Case?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 16:11:31 »
Sand it all down with 1000 wet sand paper so the paint will stick and not flake.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 16:12:11 »
You could also get it cerakoted which is a lot nicer

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 19:22:14 »
You can paint over the anodizing, it won't stick well, but you can.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 20:22:03 »
Primer for aluminium won't work better than any other type of primer would on anodised aluminium .
To adhere really well, it would require a bare raw aluminium surface and preferably one that has been sanded or sandblasted within the last few minutes. The last part is because bare aluminium oxidises in air.

If your case had been sandblasted before being anodised then that should help with paint adhesion.

If you have an airbrush then you could use two-part epoxy paint - which should adhere the best.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 20:24:48 by Findecanor »

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 05:14:38 »
Interesting problem.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/paint-adhesion-anodized-aluminum-157007/

https://www.finishing.com/2000-2199/2102.shtml

tl;dr:
- anodising is a very good base for paints.
- adhesion may depend on the chemical composition of the anodizing solution.
- sealing of the anodised surface will cause lack of adhesion in paint. Also contaminants in the anodising solution may cause that. Use etching solution to remove both (suggested above is a strong base).
- perform usual degreasing procedures. Might want to do that prior to etching. Some inert oil contaminants may not get removed with the base I think, or react forming residue, but don't hold my word for it, I'm no chemist.

Practical Machinist link above also suggests using epoxy based paints/primers.

Offline mike-y

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 11:04:21 »
Thanks for the information guys.  The links from the post above are especially helpful.

Offline Gael

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 07:44:05 »
There is actually a special paint that is designed for aluminum. Try asking at hardware stores, and you most probably will find the product I’m talking about. Even if the surfaces are rough or uneven, the paint works perfectly. When I moved to my new house, I was looking for interior painting services singapore, and found out a lot of insightful information about painting in general. Later on, when the guys came to paint the exterior of my house, I also noticed that they had this type of painting with them. They ended up using it for some few areas.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2021, 08:53:14 by Gael »

Offline januszmalinowski

• Joblife
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 08:31:33 »
Use the special type of paint. Aluminium is a little bit difficult to paint.