Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 606691 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:48:42 »
:( Id be in for 2 if i know it was 100% working but since its a small gamble Im only in for one.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #501 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:49:46 »
TheProfosist, no your 1.25 enter scheme is not support on this pcb.
may i ask how its not supported the reason i ask is there is already a switch there for ansi and next to is for ISO what is causing it not to work?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #502 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:51:49 »
may i ask how its not supported the reason i ask is there is already a switch there for ansi and next to is for ISO what is causing it not to work?
The switch for ISO is between rows 2 and 3. I'll see if one more switch will fit.
EDIT: it will
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:53:37 by komar007 »
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #503 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:52:24 »
WhiteFireDragon, if you can handle soldering the SMD for all the US proto boards, that would be awesome. I think you're the only one of us with a hot air station. I know I would struggle to get it done with just a chisel tip iron. We could just have all the US proto boards and components shipped to WFD, who could solder the SMD and then distribute to us.

TheProfosist, this PCB supports all the layout options that you prefer as shown, with the one exception of the 1.25 enter.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:55:04 »
I don't really want to draw the plates, komar should be able to make them relatively easy since he has the the dimensions
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #505 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:55:11 »
GOOD WORKS GUYS:D

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #506 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:01:06 »
The switch for ISO is between rows 2 and 3. I'll see if one more switch will fit.
EDIT: it will
If it can o wells ill just have to come up with a new layout that doesnt rely on that.

TheProfosist, this PCB supports all the layout options that you prefer as shown, with the one exception of the 1.25 enter.
:( yea must have been something special about the Phantom PCB and the DOX im working on was built to my specs so thats why it has it so no biggie ill just have to come up with a new layout which is something that I enjoy doing I thought i would just try to get my keyboards to be as close as possible layout wise to each other.

I don't really want to draw the plates, komar should be able to make them relatively easy since he has the the dimensions
Alright sounds good. If this prototype turns out to work great ill ask Komar about a plate file. That reminds me can you make plates out of anything heavier than stainless?
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:02:56 by TheProfosist »

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #507 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:03:01 »
Well, I see no problem adding that switch for 1.25 enter.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #508 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:07:16 »
Well, I see no problem adding that switch for 1.25 enter.
well is up to you if you want to add it I have already thought up and idea for arrows for the current layout that utilizes the short right shift and RWin, Menu, and RCtrl, which might be nice to try out.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #509 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:19:26 »
Will having such as switch holes where the pcb mount stabilizer should go on ansi enter make a problem?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #510 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:32:51 »
Will having such as switch holes where the pcb mount stabilizer should go on ansi enter make a problem?
i thihnk that would be a problem if you ask me but i didnt design the PCB

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:39:21 »
***snip all dat***
Alright sounds good. If this prototype turns out to work great ill ask Komar about a plate file. That reminds me can you make plates out of anything heavier than stainless?

Aluminum            2712
Brass - casting    8400 - 8700
Stainless Steel     7480 - 8000

SS is about as dense as brass. I don't think that guy does brass or if brass even comes in sheets like he would need

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #512 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:41:43 »
***snip all dat***

Aluminum            2712

SS is about as dense as brass. I don't think that guy does brass or if brass even comes in sheets like he would need
ok just thought i would ask I <3 SS anyways ;)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #513 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:51:50 »
***snip all dat***

Aluminum            2712

I was designing a case with weights like sherries. Then when I went to change materials I saw they had nearly the same density. BTW the poker case I made was 5.25 lbs and I still had one more layer of stainless to add ^___^
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:10:10 by The_Beast »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #514 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:54:35 »
***snip all dat***

Aluminum            2712

I was designing a case with weights like sherries. Then when I went to change materials I saw they hay nearly the same density. BTW the poker case I made was 5.25 lbs and I still had one more layer of stainless to add ^___^
your the best beast!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #515 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:10:47 »
***snip all dat***

Aluminum            2712

I was designing a case with weights like sherries. Then when I went to change materials I saw they hay nearly the same density. BTW the poker case I made was 5.25 lbs and I still had one more layer of stainless to add ^___^
your the best beast!

If my guy can do 1/4" stainless...... (I'll be asking next email ;D)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #516 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:34:41 »
***snip all dat***

Aluminum            2712

your the best beast!

If my guy can do 1/4" stainless...... (I'll be asking next email ;D)
awesome would love to have a all SS case for the final of this board.

Offline __red__

« Reply #517 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 06:38:30 »
Okay,
unfortunately some people jumped off, so we have six now:

Komar007:  please add me to the prototype run.  i'm not scared of doing the smt soldering or board re-work as required.

Let me know what you need from me.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #518 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 06:58:12 »
Great!
I only need your money! :D
To the people who are in for prototype pcbs: I'll pay first, and then collect money.
That's why I trust that you won't jump off the list anymore. I'll tell you when I'm paying so you know when not to jump off anymore.

EDIT:
current list:
komar007
jdcarpe
kmiller8
TheProfosist
WhiteFireDragon
lysol
__red__

I'm sorry to inform that the price of PCB went up by $3:(
I've calculated the price of the parts and it's $10.
So the current official price of the DIY prototype (PCB + smd parts) is $43.
Shipping is $8 for the whole package to one of you in the US, who will later distribute the sets.
I'm currently doing minor enhancements in the crystal layout, then I'll add the 1.25 enter support and hopefully I can order within a day or two.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:53:13 by komar007 »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #519 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:19:07 »
You seriously dont have to add the 1.25 enter support if it doesnt work or you have to force it in. Ill soon be posting my idea that i plan to use if it doesnt go through.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #520 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:21:39 »
It's really no problem. It fits without moving things around. More layouts = more users satisfied;)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #521 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:27:07 »
Alright sounds good idk what ill do then as im pretty keen to to the new layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #522 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:55:18 »
Well here is the drawing that I threw together for a potential layout.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:59:03 »
Great!
To the people who are in for prototype pcbs: I'll pay first, and then collect money.
That's why I trust that you won't jump off the list anymore. I'll tell you when I'm paying so you know when not to jump off anymore.

EDIT:
current list:
komar007
jdcarpe
kmiller8
TheProfosist
WhiteFireDragon
lysol
__red__

Shipping is $8 for the whole package to one of you in the US, who will later distribute the sets.
I'm currently doing minor enhancements in the crystal layout, then I'll add the 1.25 enter support and hopefully I can order within a day or two.

So to be in on the prototype we'd have to be pretty good at soldering on a very small scale?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #524 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:59:48 »
Great!

EDIT:
current list:
komar007
jdcarpe
kmiller8
TheProfosist
WhiteFireDragon
lysol
__red__

So to be in on the prototype we'd have to be pretty good at soldering on a very small scale?
or ask someone really nicely to solder yours.

Offline dirge

« Reply #525 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:29:47 »
Add me to the prototype list, but for an ISO layout, can you cover off an ISO plate?
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:31:26 »
Add me to the prototype list, but for an ISO layout, can you cover off an ISO plate?
Cover off? Also I dont think plates are being made for teh prototype ill only be getting one if the thing works perfectly I think my case for the prototype will still end up being cardboard ;)

Offline dirge

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:34:11 »
Fine with the cardboard case, but making sure everything fits well with the plate is worth doing.  Fine with the soldering side, just being from the other side of the water, having a compact ISO board is something we're really lacking.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #528 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:40:07 »
Fine with the cardboard case, but making sure everything fits well with the plate is worth doing.  Fine with the soldering side, just being from the other side of the water, having a compact ISO board is something we're really lacking.
well the_beast will make any dxf you throw at him so id ask komar if he can make a plate that fits your layout i would have a pic for hime kinda like i made above

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #529 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:42:40 »
well the_beast will make any dxf you throw at him so id ask komar if he can make a plate that fits your layout i would have a pic for hime kinda like i made above

dwg is preferred since I don't have to convert the dxf to dwg when I get it (ie I have to walk to the student center to convert)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #530 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:44:44 »

dwg is preferred since I don't have to convert the dxf to dwg when I get it (ie I have to walk to the student center to convert)
o my bad the last place i went wanted dxf i believe

also pm sent to you about another project.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #531 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:49:56 »
Hehe I am reverse from you guys. I am more concerned with does it work without the plate since I have no interest in having one if I don't have to.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:51:31 by lysol »

Offline dirge

« Reply #532 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:52:01 »
Your right, sorry thought someone would have done an ISO version.  Anyone have the phantom ISO plate file?

Wouldn't be too different to yours, just the Jret and short left shift.

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:55:47 by dirge »

Offline dirge

« Reply #533 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 12:53:38 »
Hehe I am reverse from you guys. I am more concerned with does it work without the plate since I have no interest in having one if I don't have to.

I'm surprised, so much interest in plates for pokers.  They didn't cost too much in the phantom group buy and really add a lot to the keyboard.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #534 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:14:24 »
dirge, these are definitely going to have a plate available (several layouts, actually) when we get to the group buy phase. These prototype boards are just so a few of us can test them and make sure everything works. I will be using some pcb mount brown switches I have for my prototype, so I can try some different layouts.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #535 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:15:47 »
Your right, sorry thought someone would have done an ISO version.  Anyone have the phantom ISO plate file?

Wouldn't be too different to yours, just the Jret and short left shift.

Show Image

contact biphiany if you want Phantom Plate files

Also Komar if yo uwant to know more about designing plates talk to him as well hes done a few different ones for me.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #536 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:16:15 »
dirge, these are definitely going to have a plate available (several layouts, actually) when we get to the group buy phase. These prototype boards are just so a few of us can test them and make sure everything works. I will be using some pcb mount brown switches I have for my prototype, so I can try some different layouts.
are the pcb mount holes in the pcb?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #537 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:20:30 »

Most definitely. Thanks to komar's beautiful design!

On a related note, anyone buying one of these proto boards should please be aware that these are not guaranteed to even function. We may get them and find that half the keys don't work or something. I don't expect that to happen, but it's the risk we testers are taking to get these made and tested. Everyone else should wait for the group buy for a finished product.

in memoriam

Offline dirge

« Reply #538 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:26:43 »
Yup, part of the fun is the risk and the working out how to fix it.  Also in helping iron the problems out. :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #539 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 13:41:19 »

Most definitely. Thanks to komar's beautiful design!

On a related note, anyone buying one of these proto boards should please be aware that these are not guaranteed to even function. We may get them and find that half the keys don't work or something. I don't expect that to happen, but it's the risk we testers are taking to get these made and tested. Everyone else should wait for the group buy for a finished product.
yes i completely understand but if it does if i would like to outfit it as completely as possible Ill probably contact WASD for some basic caps for testinghopefully I can get them on the cheap.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 16:21:35 »
So we have 8 people now:
komar007
jdcarpe
kmiller8
TheProfosist
WhiteFireDragon
lysol
__red__
dirge

As for plates, I'll think about them after sending the prototype PCB for production.
I think I'll order with matte black soldermask. Should look nice.

Offline Index

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 16:26:42 »
hey komar im interested in this also.

To clarify im interested in testing this out. I have a istob poker case just sitting here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 16:30:17 by Index »
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 16:30:27 »
I don't think plates will be a problem, those are too easy to design and make. Higher priority goes into making sure all electronic components are taken care of first. Physical fitment of plates and case is useless if there are still circuitry problem or controller programming.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #543 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:19:12 »
Black pcb color is good. I would prefer white personally though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:20:23 »
Purple PCB, white text

get that naow

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:22:27 »
Ugh... only reason I am getting a plate for my Poker is to hide the ugly color. Black or white only please. If people want some other color they can paint thier plate.

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #546 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 19:57:04 »
Come on, no green? 

I always feel like that's the color PCBs want to be.

Really, I don't care as long as it do what it do.  I'm really fired up about this, and can't wait to put a couple of these together.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 19:59:31 »
Purple PCB, white text

get that naow

Would lurv a purple pcb...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #548 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:00:51 »
Purple PCB, white text

get that naow

Would lurv a purple pcb...

I'd love for it to be purple but I guess it doesn't matter since it's going to be under a plate anyways

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #549 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 20:01:52 »
^Was just thinking about that. Considering painting plates now...oh the options!