Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 610265 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #1800 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 08:49:31 »
absolutely. if you need help let me know.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #1801 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:35:39 »
Ladies and gentlemen, it seems the board is ready.
I'm sending it for final prototype production within a day.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

All the CAD files are, as always, here: https://github.com/komar007/ghkb
Here are the gerber files: (Attachment Link)
And hi-res renders: (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Gosh man, awesome work!
It's a complete new board or I'm wrong? ( comparing with rev b)
 :)

And please, count me in for the prototype!
 ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 11:37:17 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1802 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:03:08 »
It's heavily modified, but based on the previous one.
Yes, you're counted in.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #1803 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:26:58 »
It's heavily modified, but based on the previous one.
Yes, you're counted in.
Awesome!
We are kinda anxious at the GH60 Case Project (I know I'm !)
 ;D

There are already 3 projects that will use your PCB - we are just waiting your final version in order to move on (GH60 Alps, Alps TKL and the GHPad Alps).

Do you think it's a good moment to go or do you think it should be better to wait?
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #1804 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:42:52 »
isn't the GHpad also dependent on this as well?

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #1805 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:46:27 »
isn't the GHpad also dependent on this as well?
True, sorry - I mentioned only the ones that I have some pending work.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1806 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 17:27:21 »
This will be my new signature picture.
thank you so much komar.

Excellent idea, brother :)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1807 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:45:28 »
Komar, thought I'd suggest something very simple. This is a feature on the KMAC PCB and it saved my ass..

The KMAC uses mini usb just like the GH60 but it also has some holes so you can attach a dedicated cable. You can see them in this picture :
http://i.imgur.com/JPVYgxt.jpg
and on the other side, they just lead directly to the USB header
http://i.imgur.com/uaYwoo6.jpg

I think it would be nice and it seems like it would be easy and non-risky for you to add it. If the KMAC didn't have it I couldn't do what I'm planning to do and I would've wasted a lot of money.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:47:42 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline gimpster

« Reply #1808 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 22:20:15 »
I'm curious why you need both options? If you don't want the USB connector, you can always desolder that and solder your cable to the pads. What are you doing with your KMAC that you need both options available on the final product?
-Ryan

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #1809 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 11:17:16 »
the kmac has the ziptie holes and extra cable length for a secure fit

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #1810 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 09:59:31 »
Is it possible to put a micro USB socket on the same pad footprint as the mini USB?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1811 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:08:48 »
Is it possible to put a micro USB socket on the same pad footprint as the mini USB?

No, unfortunately the spacing between the pads is different.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1812 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 17:35:18 »
This is no longer in production? Did I dream that the title had production in it?
:))

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1813 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 17:38:02 »
This is no longer in production? Did I dream that the title had production in it?
:))
The GB thread does.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1814 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 17:38:57 »
Ah. Didnt see the forum in tapatalk. Never mind me xD

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1815 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:30:04 »
So I missed the GB by about 4 months, Will I still be able to get a GH60 at some point, and if so when?
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1816 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:53:56 »
So I missed the GB by about 4 months, Will I still be able to get a GH60 at some point, and if so when?

Once the GB orders ship, check the classifieds. I'm sure some people will be selling.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1817 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:54:52 »

Since none of us that did make it into the group buy have received them yet, it's impossible to say. Once they start shipping, you're bound to find a few people selling theirs. Your only other option is to try and take over someone's order, but I've only seen one, or two people do that thus far.

Regardless, you'll still be waiting like the rest of us.  ;D

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1818 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:24:06 »

Since none of us that did make it into the group buy have received them yet, it's impossible to say. Once they start shipping, you're bound to find a few people selling theirs. Your only other option is to try and take over someone's order, but I've only seen one, or two people do that thus far.

Damn it, I'm looking into buying my first mech and this seems like it would be the perfect keyboard for me. Now I need to decide whether to wait, or just buy a poker II.
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1819 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:26:35 »

Damn it, I'm looking into buying my first mech and this seems like it would be the perfect keyboard for me. Now I need to decide whether to wait, or just buy a poker II.

Buy the poker so that you have a case. I hope it'll fit;)

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1820 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 14:10:03 »

Buy the poker so that you have a case. I hope it'll fit;)

I only want to buy one keyboard.
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1821 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 14:35:59 »

...that feeling won't last long ;D
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #1822 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 16:08:07 »

Then I would definitely go for a Poker II. The GH60 is more minded at people already deep in this hobby/hording disease.
The Poker is already a great product where the layout is well thought through, FN layer is great and it's readily available.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1823 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 16:29:27 »

Then I would definitely go for a Poker II. The GH60 is more minded at people already deep in this hobby/hording disease.
The Poker is already a great product where the layout is well thought through, FN layer is great and it's readily available.

+1 a lot of the people that bought the gh60 will be using a standard poker layout anyways.

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1824 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:07:02 »

+1 a lot of the people that bought the gh60 will be using a standard poker layout anyways.

The thing is, I really like the fully programmable-ness of the gh60. I also want to replace the keycaps with some blank grey ones, and if I buy the gh60 I could afford to buy some higher quality ones (because I wouldn't also be buying the stock ones).
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #1825 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:22:35 »
Oh, then you misunderstand it a bit. If you go with a GH60 you would have to also buy a case, switches, stabilizers, cable along with a soldering iron, solder and possibly a solder sucker/soldapullt/desoldering iron. So the amount of money you would save is not much if any at all (I actually think it will be more expensive). And isn't the Poker II also programmable to some degree? The caps on the poker is by no means the most expensive thing on the keyboard, so the money wasted on that front is minor.

Edit: I forgot to mention a plate since Poker II has one of those
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:39:18 by Broadmonkey »

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1826 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:35:37 »
Oh, then you misunderstand it a bit. If you go with a GH60 you would have to also buy a case, switches, stabilizers, cable along with a soldering iron, solder and possibly a solder sucker/soldapullt/desoldering iron. So the amount of money you would save is not much if any at all (I actually think it will be more expensive). And isn't the Poker II also programmable to some degree? The caps on the poker is by no means the most expensive thing on the keyboard, so the money wasted on that front is minor.

I have a soldering iron etc, I worked it out and I think it's cheaper than buying the poker for $100 and a set of thick PBT keycaps for $75.
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #1827 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 22:20:22 »
I have a soldering iron etc, I worked it out and I think it's cheaper than buying the poker for $100 and a set of thick PBT keycaps for $75.

Not really.  I forget the exact prices, but you have like $35 in the PCB/SMD parts + say 60 x $0.6 for the switches.  Plus about $10 for the stabilizers, $5 for a cable.  Oh and $15 for a plate.  You're at about $100 right there, and you don't have a case (just look around at the prices of those...  you'll see that just the case alone can easily exceed $100).  Plus you haven't paid to ship anything anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love making stuff and the DIY stuff is fun. But don't do it because it looks cheaper to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 22:22:08 by salmo »

Offline mondoman712

« Reply #1828 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 06:45:43 »

Not really.  I forget the exact prices, but you have like $35 in the PCB/SMD parts + say 60 x $0.6 for the switches.  Plus about $10 for the stabilizers, $5 for a cable.  Oh and $15 for a plate.  You're at about $100 right there, and you don't have a case (just look around at the prices of those...  you'll see that just the case alone can easily exceed $100).  Plus you haven't paid to ship anything anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love making stuff and the DIY stuff is fun. But don't do it because it looks cheaper to do it yourself.

Ok, I think I've decided what I'll do. I'll buy the poker now, and if/when another GB for the GH60 comes around I can see how I feel then.
Poker II w/ Blues

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1829 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:49:16 »
By the time you get all of the needed parts to complete a GH60, you can but a Poker for pretty much the same amount and just pull the parts off of it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline simkev

« Reply #1830 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 08:02:43 »
Been away from GH for a couple of months and haven't followed all the revisions of the PCB.
Will a 7Bit layout be possible as it is on the Phantom boards?
Like this:

Imaging taking out a board like that in class with blank caps and soft touching like a boss with some nice clicky blues.
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline regack

« Reply #1831 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:54:56 »
Been away from GH for a couple of months and haven't followed all the revisions of the PCB.
Will a 7Bit layout be possible as it is on the Phantom boards?
Like this:

Show Image

Imaging taking out a board like that in class with blank caps and soft touching like a boss with some nice clicky blues.

From what I see looking at the Rev B layout, the bottom row does not support that configuration.

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #1832 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:31:36 »

i am one of those people and have been regretting it every day =*(
-wd

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1833 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:34:27 »

i am one of those people and have been regretting it every day =*(

You regret waiting?

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #1834 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:41:50 »
I'm one of the one or two that gave up his order like a fool.  and so I regret being a fool.
-wd

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1835 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:46:48 »
I'm one of the one or two that gave up his order like a fool.  and so I regret being a fool.

ahhh makes sense now....I still say there will be plenty leftover and once things are finished up

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #1836 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:49:26 »
fingers crossed <3
-wd

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1837 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 13:59:26 »
Remember, the design will be open so even if you missed the groupbuy there will be nothing stopping you from getting pcb produced on your own, or run other mini buys or whatever you like later. I also seem to recall that mechanicalkeyboards and perhaps some other will plan to carry them also after the groupbuy end.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1838 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 14:08:45 »
Yes, after the GB ships, mechanicalkeyboards.com should have them for sale.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline regack

« Reply #1839 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 14:12:08 »
fingers crossed <3

Well, I bought 2 pcbs... I think... I forget now, honestly (it has been a while).  If it turns out that I did, I'm pretty sure I don't need 2, so.. remind me when they show up.

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #1840 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:13:59 »
How's this project, guys? I've been too lazy to do a back read. I'm curious on the finished product  :D

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1841 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:17:04 »
It's finished but untested. I'll take a final look during Christmas and send the files for production after New Year.

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #1842 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:20:50 »
It's finished but untested. I'll take a final look during Christmas and send the files for production after New Year.
Nice! :) I hope that some manufacturer would sell mkbs like these in the future :cool:

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1843 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 14:17:32 »

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #1844 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 15:41:43 »

W00t! that is really good to hear, I am sick and tired of my Pure with it's ANSI return key, which should only have been a temporary solution.
So there won't be a last prototype testing? just straight to production?

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #1845 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:58:31 »
What does it mean? Is it going to sell a DIY product or a fully assembled product?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1846 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 20:00:47 »
What does it mean? Is it going to sell a DIY product or a fully assembled product?

Just the PCB most likely.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1847 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:16:49 »

thank you based god  :'( :'( :'(

^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #1848 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 10:53:21 »
about the LED module, can it be retro fitted to an already built keyboard with LEDs already installed?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1849 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 10:57:33 »
about the LED module, can it be retro fitted to an already built keyboard with LEDs already installed?

Good question! I am interested in this as well.