Author Topic: [IC] FUSION60  (Read 134064 times)

Offline Vulcan

[IC] FUSION60
« on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 05:18:30 »
Hai Everyone,

We are happy to announce Fusion60

Fusion60 inspired by 2 of the most well known keyboard case, Fjell and Kira. Through out this IC proses Fusion60 has made some drastic change in term of the design. It went from a really high profile to low profile with floating key, and finally to this current case design. Fusion60 is made from a CNC'ed aluminium block for the case and CNC'ed brass for the plate and center weight. The surface is bead blasted and anodized. Fusion60 is available is several layout, standard 60%, HHKB 7u.

Features:
    - 60% (Standard, Winkeyless, HHKB, YAS)
    - high profile
    - top mount
    - 8 Degree Angel
    - case material: 6xxx Aluminium Block
    - Weight material: Brass
    - case finish: bead blasted and anodized
    - plate material: 1.5 mm Brass
    - supports most PCBs[/li]

INTREST CHECK GOOGLE FORM

Case Color :

ROYAL PURPLE
FOREST GREEN
DEEP BLUE
MAROON RED
CHAMPAGNE GOLD
TITANIUM GREY
OBSIDIAN BLACK
ARCTIC SILVER

RGB SIDE GLOW :     

Fusion60 From The Inside

Fusion60 Layout:

The PCB that we are planing to use for the bundle kit version is DZ60,

Fusion60 Top Case :

Default 60%

HHKB

WKL

Price:

230 USD

this price include fast shipping by DHL

Include :
    Aluminum Case
    PCB
    Screw
    Brass Plate
    Brass Weight
    Stabilizer

My Instagram :
If you guys wanted to know more about the project that I'm working on, you can follow my instagram :

@vulcan_mod
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2019, 08:24:43 by Vulcan »

Offline Vulcan

Re: [IC] Fusion 60% Custom Case
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 05:19:14 »
SIGNITURE

If you like and wish this project come to live please support us by using this signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94150.0][img width=350 height=120]https://image.ibb.co/b3bGuJ/bismillah_01.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 December 2018, 01:23:28 by Vulcan »

Offline Rykno

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 07:49:44 »
I like it, but please offer a version without the branding on the backside. Or maybe put it on the plate?

Besides that I like it. I know 60% aren't that heavy (although my Fjell disagrees) I think the finger cutouts are underexplored  and could be a great quality of life improvement for people who swap boards often; I've gone to strictly USB-C for just such a reason.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 08:25:13 »
I like it, but please offer a version without the branding on the backside. Or maybe put it on the plate?

Besides that I like it. I know 60% aren't that heavy (although my Fjell disagrees) I think the finger cutouts are underexplored  and could be a great quality of life improvement for people who swap boards often; I've gone to strictly USB-C for just such a reason.
Yes, i agree with you.. the logo is too much, tommorow i will revise the design.

What do you think about the tilt angel? Is 8 degree to high?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Rykno

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 08:41:08 »
I think 6 has a better ergonomic balance. 8 is more striking visually but 5 or 6 is more comfortable in my experiences.

How hard would it be to soften/round the edges of the finger inserts? I think a consistent design language of soft curves would strengthen the icon you've used for the plate. Look at the Mira to understand what I'm on about.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 09:55:12 »
I agree about going 5 or 6 degrees. The weight logo is awesome. Maybe add the word fusion on the plate somewhere and on the back of the case put the logo from the weight. Kinda like Koob put the diamond on the back of the Pearl 40%.  ;) Also, I'm not a fan of the weight having a standoff built into it.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 10:11:49 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 bevels :) 
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 
The holes on the sides (what are these for honestly? Maybe make a real hole and do some RGB stuff with it?)   

Probably in if there will be no holes on sides. 

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 10:16:10 »
I think the weight would benefit greatly from larger curves on the corners.

Also agree with KaosJ that the "FUSION" isn't the nicest/most elegant font.

Offline Rykno

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 11:47:33 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 
The holes on the sides (what are these for honestly? Maybe make a real hole and do some RGB stuff with it?)   

In my opinion the only thing setting this case apart is the cutouts. They look nice and provide assistance to lift the board securely. An acrylic insert within the grooves would be cool, but that's more complex and I don't necessarily care if they are ommitted. Underglow is faddish imo

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 13:16:09 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 

In my opinion the only thing setting this case apart is the cutouts. They look nice and provide assistance to lift the board securely. An acrylic insert within the grooves would be cool, but that's more complex and I don't necessarily care if they are ommitted. Underglow is faddish imo

DONT LISTEN TO HIM
UNDERGLOW ON THE SIDES WOULD BE SIIIIIIICK
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 14:07:21 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 

DONT LISTEN TO HIM
UNDERGLOW ON THE SIDES WOULD BE SIIIIIIICK
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

+

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 14:26:51 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 

I agree here, the cutouts are what people are going to remember of this board, especially the split design this has. If the sides became acrylic people will call it cheap and gaudy once they see final renders and ask for the solid side back again. I say keep it classic with a twist

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 14:34:44 »
My 2 cents. 

Like:
 brass logo!   

Don't like: 
"Fusion" on the back 

I agree here, the cutouts are what people are going to remember of this board, especially the split design this has. If the sides became acrylic people will call it cheap and gaudy once they see final renders and ask for the solid side back again. I say keep it classic with a twist

I wholly disagree.
I think with bigger bezels and side underglow this could be something stunning. Almost a cross between a klippe and a duck board, but with a more solid look.

Offline Xantus

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:38:43 »
Please dont add acrylic for RGB Light. Just keep it simple and minimalistic.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 17:44:55 »
The side bevel is just for aesthetic looks. Not much function other than giving a grip to the board.

I will think about adding Acrylic diffuser on the side bevels. To still maintain the good high quality case, i think i will use this kind of Acrylic diffuser (see picture)

For the tilt angel i will post the 6 degree render image and see how it looks.

Offline gr4v3m4n

• my store
[IC] Fusion 60% Custom Case
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 20:19:48 »
i like the side cut out, surely the case signature. i say dont put any acrylic just keep it simple and elegant. also i dont like the post/stand on the brass weight, maybe make a cut out like on the fjell. ohh one other thing is there any possibility to make this a kit with pcb and plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 20:22:25 by gr4v3m4n »

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 03:34:29 »
I have already remove the fusion logo and did a slight change on the brass cut out. for the angel i think i will stick to 8 degree for now.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 04:18:47 »
I have already remove the fusion logo and did a slight change on the brass cut out. for the angel i think i will stick to 8 degree for now.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks definetely better now  :thumb:

If that acrylic you posted is opal, i definetely agree! 

Offline TonyD

• dtronixs
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 06:12:27 »
I personally like the idea of the side bevels and the option to fill will a diffuser. But that's just me I guess...

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:05:08 »
I have made some change to the design, also made it a bit lower, not the front height is only 15mm. What do you guys think about the new look?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:22:26 »
I have made some change to the design, also made it a bit lower, not the front height is only 15mm. What do you guys think about the new look?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks amazing, even better than before! Only thought is that the sides look a little slim now, so thickening them would look a bit nice to my eyes

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:48:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Does it fully cover keycaps?  Why these holes are still there  :(

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:50:07 »
Wait what about brass inserts for these holes?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:01:37 »

Hooooly crap brass or aluminum inserts with different colors would be SICK
If they can be added as extras or something that would be awesome!

Offline TwiztedGaming

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:31:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Love the new design, looks great! Gives it a little "sleeker" more streamlined and modern look. I do agree with others, brass inserts for the holes would be a great addition or option during the GB :)

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:40:03 »
Great idea man! But that means the coloring cant be done with powder coating.. because powder coating adds about 1-2mm of paint coat, so after powder coating, the brass insert wont slot in perfectly in.

I can how ever add 1mm-2mm tolerence to the brass but maybe the results is the brass wont fit seamlesly to the case

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:37:29 »
Great idea man! But that means the coloring cant be done with powder coating.. because powder coating adds about 1-2mm of paint coat, so after powder coating, the brass insert wont slot in perfectly in.

I can how ever add 1mm-2mm tolerence to the brass but maybe the results is the brass wont fit seamlesly to the case

Oof, forgot this was made with powdercoating. With anodization this would be a good idea, but if it doesn't fit seamlessly, I wouldn't take the risk.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 22:55:38 »

Oof, forgot this was made with powder coating. With anodization this would be a good idea, but if it doesn't fit seamlessly, I wouldn't take the risk.

With anodize I'm sure it would fit in seamlessly, the reason i want to powder coat it instead of anodize is because powder coat in my opinion is more durable and have a good texture that match the texture of plastic keycaps.

I have a powder coated case and it remains like brand new even though i carry it inside my back pack without any protection for years

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:04:59 »

Oof, forgot this was made with powder coating. With anodization this would be a good idea, but if it doesn't fit seamlessly, I wouldn't take the risk.

With anodize I'm sure it would fit in seamlessly, the reason i want to powder coat it instead of anodize is because powder coat in my opinion is more durable and have a good texture that match the texture of plastic keycaps.

I have a powder coated case and it remains like brand new even though i carry it inside my back pack without any protection for years

That's true, and I think cerakoting ends up with the same issue as well...
I don't know if acrylic can be forced in with small tolerance differences, but if it can, than that could at least be one option
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 11:28:12 by p_blaze »

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 07:41:43 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94216.0;topicseen

That's true, and I think cerakoting ends up with the same issue as well...
I don't know if acrylic can be forced in with small tolerance differences, but if it can, than that could at least be one option
acrylic is not the best option for making high quality case.. Polycarbonate maybe can be an option

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 22:00:52 »
I have made update on the design of the brass plate, the last design can not be done because it need a large raw material size, which is hard to find in my place..

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 22:10:05 »
I have made update on the design of the brass plate, the last design can not be done because it need a large raw material size, which is hard to find in my place..

Show Image

Show Image

Classy as f***. I love it. It would be nice if the case got thickened to make up for the loss in weight.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 06:08:01 »
I have calculate the weight, total weight with out brass is 1 Kg, and with brass is 1.3 Kg, is it too light?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 06:29:40 »
I have calculate the weight, total weight with out brass is 1 Kg, and with brass is 1.3 Kg, is it too light?

I can't be sure honestly. I like heavy cases, so any extra weight it nice, but heavy cases are not very portable

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 00:38:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't mind the smaller brass weight, makes it more affordable as well.

To make up for the weight, maybe you could "thicken" the bezel of the case? Some people like it T H I C C.

As you have mentioned before, I love the idea that you are looking into putting frosted acrylic panel at the side cutouts. I have to say though, that I do not really fancy the current shape of the cutout. It seems too large and "not elegant" to me. Maybe a better option is to make the cutout smaller (therefore you can use less acrylic) and just provide a very subtle RGB glow at the side  ;)

Definitely will be following on this thread!

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline cldskt

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 01:51:40 »
Also, will this case come with the option of the plate/PCB as well, or just the case? Asking since I'm wondering whether I should order my PCB+Plate+Switches elsewhere first before deciding on a case.

I see that you are from Indonesia. Maybe I can get my friends/relatives to pick up the case once it's open for GB  :p

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 04:08:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

To make up for the weight, maybe you could "thicken" the bezel of the case? Some people like it T H I C C.

As you have mentioned before, I love the idea that you are looking into putting frosted acrylic panel at the side cutouts. I have to say though, that I do not really fancy the current shape of the cutout. It seems too large and "not elegant" to me. Maybe a better option is to make the cutout smaller (therefore you can use less acrylic) and just provide a very subtle RGB glow at the side  ;)

Thank you!, yes I am planning to thicken the bezel of the case and for the cutout on the side I have removed it and change to something that kinda have a purpose but still maintaining the theme of the case.

Also, will this case come with the option of the plate/PCB as well, or just the case? Asking since I'm wondering whether I should order my PCB+Plate+Switches elsewhere first before deciding on a case.

I see that you are from Indonesia. Maybe I can get my friends/relatives to pick up the case once it's open for GB  :p

Is your relative also a mechanical keyboard enthusiast? if yes, maybe i know him :)

Offline cldskt

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 05:00:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you!, yes I am planning to thicken the bezel of the case and for the cutout on the side I have removed it and change to something that kinda have a purpose but still maintaining the theme of the case.

Oh so you are removing the side cutout completely? Was kinda excited for the frosted acrylic/polycarbonate materials to let some of RGB shine though  :(

Is your relative also a mechanical keyboard enthusiast? if yes, maybe i know him :)

Nah he isn't. Just hoping to save some shipping costs if you are also based in Jakarta  ;D

Offline gr4v3m4n

• my store
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 20:48:43 »

i see on your new render there will be holes on the side for led’s? so is this going to be a kit? with pcb and plates?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 21:02:45 »
wew this just keeps getting better with every revision

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 21:30:12 »
This case went from something I didn't really care much for to something I will be keeping a very close eye on from now on.

Love the progress from brass weight design to new case design. Looking forward to how this project progresses.
Great job!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline cldskt

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 22:27:22 »
Okay the latest revision seems pretty great. It gives the case some characters that are different from others.

Question: which layout would fit this: https://prnt.sc/imoyc5 - YAS or WKL?

Also, any estimated time for GB?  :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 00:46:23 by cldskt »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 00:45:20 »
ISO- Support pls

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 03:37:21 »
Wow a lot of changes so far, but this is definitely looking pretty good. Will have to keep watching where this goes.

Offline ayamterbang

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 05:44:47 »
even better with curves  :thumb:
Btw,

Okay the latest revision seems pretty great. It gives the case some characters that are different from others.

YAS doesn't have 0.75u on each side of the last row.
WKL supposedly doesn't have the Windows key

If you wanted that layout, I'd go for dz60 prolly
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 05:51:06 by ayamterbang »

Offline hervuli

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 09:06:57 »
This is looking great. 100% in for a YAS62 compatible case if it happens :)
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:26:17 »
Ok well if I wasn’t in before, I’m definitely in now. This case looks great!  :thumb:
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 18:01:26 »
Show Image

i see on your new render there will be holes on the side for led’s? so is this going to be a kit? with pcb and plates?

Very interested if Yas62 makes it =)

Much prefer the angled sides tho

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 19:33:20 »
Show Image

Very interested if Yas62 makes it =)

Much prefer the angled sides tho

Ok well if I wasn’t in before, I’m definitely in now. This case looks great!  :thumb:

This is looking great. 100% in for a YAS62 compatible case if it happens :)

even better with curves  :thumb:
Btw,

Thank you so much all :D

For that case you can use the poker version of this case, for the PCB you can use dz60 :)

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 19:55:02 »
To Do:

- Find alternative CNC company that maybe can help produce without the use of EDM
- Find another way to make without EDM and without changing the design

Update :

6/3/18
- Submit the design to CNC guy
- It turns out that the side is very hard to CNC and need the help of EDM machine
- Because it needs to be EDM, the cost of production is almost double the price from the previous Fusion60 case design.

4/3/18
- Total redesign of fusion

Yesterday i submit the design to my CNC company, it turns out that the side needed the help of EDM machine, and that will double the price of production. Right now im still trying to find another way around to avoid EDM machine. if there is no way around that, the only  option is to find the cheapest EDM company or changing the design :(

The estimate price if use EDM machine for poker version of this case is : USD 300 :(

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 20:02:27 by Vulcan »