Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159357 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] TMO-50 keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 14:53:35 »
Looks amazing! Going to be the ultimate travel board.
Hopefully it'll make a great travel board! The slight angle doesn't make it too hefty on the back but angled case actually allows to make the front thinner.
Wow that looks awesome! Are you happy with the prototype? Does this mean GB is coming soonish? :)
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the current design. Still need to screw everything together but it'll definitely be the first working prototype board when I get the pcbs and solder components. About the GB - I'll try and get this proto done asap and even before that try and order a prototype from the factory. Don't want to run a GB without knowing the manufacture quality. I'd estimate that GB will be first part of June if all goes well.
I'm loving that size and design! great progress
Thank you! I'm truly happy with the progress and can't wait to make it available for you guys!

On a side note...
Oh, ****ty late night photos but I'd like to show how slim it actually is. Side by side with my thinkpad T460, not the slimmest laptop but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 May 2018, 08:02:10 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:51:53 »
So happy to hear it may be coming next month my wallet needs some time to recover from other keyboard endeavors.

Prototypes look awesome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:53:44 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 16:12:01 »
Yep I want this.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 18:23:48 »
These pictures are great! The case is looking awesome and I am far too excited about this little board.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 11:57:12 »
Prototype looks awesome  :) keep up the great work!

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 15:47:38 »
omg the prototype looks so good!!

really excited to see it with some caps on there

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 16:03:06 »
These pictures are great! The case is looking awesome and I am far too excited about this little board.
That's nice to hear! I'll do my best so I don't let you down! :)
Prototype looks awesome  :) keep up the great work!
Thanks! Already doing so, everything is in process.
omg the prototype looks so good!!

really excited to see it with some caps on there
Well, I gotta be frank... I don't own a lot of keyboard stuff right now, all I got is a bunch of MX switches, a single artisan and some really bad MX keycaps from donor boards I got for free to salvage previously mentioned switches. Entered JTK Raindrop GB though so hopefully that goes without any issues. :D What I wanted to say - there won't be any pictures with caps until I get a keyset. Will try my best to figure this out though. :D Really feel bad about it as pcbs should be here any day now...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 04:39:19 »
Aw dang! If I was US based I'd happily send some spare test switches/caps. Still excited, but I'll have to be patient  :thumb:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 08:04:02 »
Aw dang! If I was US based I'd happily send some spare test switches/caps. Still excited, but I'll have to be patient  :thumb:

Thank you for the kindness. But I'm not from US but from Latvia. That's in Europe. Non the less, no need to send me anything. Everything will work out and it'll be alright.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 12:31:25 »
Hey I was scrolling some pages back to see what the price range would be. I think you said $200 but I was wondering if that is an estimate for full aluminum or full polycarb. I'm basically wondering if there will be a lower price point for all the polycarb if we choose that option. ^^

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 14:50:37 »
Hey I was scrolling some pages back to see what the price range would be. I think you said $200 but I was wondering if that is an estimate for full aluminum or full polycarb. I'm basically wondering if there will be a lower price point for all the polycarb if we choose that option. ^^

Hey Kellybear! :)

Yeah, pricing is still being calculated as I'm just way over my head with personal stuff but by the quotes I got from the factory, polycarb base is about ~40% cheaper than it's aluminium analogue. It's not the same for the plate though so don't  go thinking full polycarb case will be 40% cheaper than a full aluminium. But a full polycarb case will definitely be with a lower price point than alu one. I'll allow to mix&match materials so if you feel a need to get a polycarbonate case but also a alu top, it'll be possible. :)

The stuff I need to still calculate is customs and shipping for all the boards to me and that's what is holding me back to finalize the pricing. I'm extremely sorry about this...  :-[
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 May 2018, 23:41:46 by funderburker »

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 14:59:13 »

Yeah, pricing is still being calculated as I'm just way over my head with personal stuff but by the quotes I got from the factory, polycarb base is about ~40% cheaper than it's aluminium analogue. It's not the same for the plate though so don't  go thinking full polycarb case will be 40% than a full aluminium. But a full polycarb case will definitely be with a lower price point than alu one. I'll allow to mix&match materials so if you feel a need to get a polycarbonate case but also a alu top, it'll be possible. :)

The stuff I need to still calculate is customs and shipping for all the boards to me and that's what is holding me back to finalize the pricing. I'm extremely sorry about this...  :-[

Hi hi hi! Thank you for the quick response. I'm looking forward to the price drops for everything. What types of materials will be available for the plate? Thanks so much for all the work you're doing!!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 15:09:30 »

Yeah, pricing is still being calculated as I'm just way over my head with personal stuff but by the quotes I got from the factory, polycarb base is about ~40% cheaper than it's aluminium analogue. It's not the same for the plate though so don't  go thinking full polycarb case will be 40% than a full aluminium. But a full polycarb case will definitely be with a lower price point than alu one. I'll allow to mix&match materials so if you feel a need to get a polycarbonate case but also a alu top, it'll be possible. :)

Hi hi hi! Thank you for the quick response. I'm looking forward to the price drops for everything. What types of materials will be available for the plate? Thanks so much for all the work you're doing!!

Mmm, the quotes I've got has been for aluminum and polycarbonate but stainless steel and brass is questionable as SS was head to head with aluminum in the the Google form I did earlier. It all comes down to MOQ and demand really.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 15:12:24 »

Mmm, the quotes I've got has been for aluminum and polycarbonate but stainless steel and brass is questionable as SS was head to head with aluminum in the the Google form I did earlier. It all comes down to MOQ and demand really.

Cool! I'm going full polycarb and I'm going to cast my own keyset for this so you have no idea how excited I am! I think my casting partner will probably do the same. :3

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 15:54:56 »
Wow I had no idea polycarb would be an option I forgot about that. I think a full polycarb version of this would be awesome I'd probably do that at a lower price.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 20:02:47 »
Wow I had no idea polycarb would be an option I forgot about that. I think a full polycarb version of this would be awesome I'd probably do that at a lower price.
Machined poly-carb isn't much cheaper from what I've seen from other group buys.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 04:31:34 »
Machined poly-carb isn't much cheaper from what I've seen from other group buys.

... " But a full polycarb case will definitely be with a lower price point than alu one."

That's from the man himself. Seems like base is about 40% cheaper while plates similar. Overall should come out a little cheaper.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 12:59:09 »

... " But a full polycarb case will definitely be with a lower price point than alu one."

That's from the man himself. Seems like base is about 40% cheaper while plates similar. Overall should come out a little cheaper.
Well I guess I can't read. Some of those other buys must have massive profit margins then. Either way I love the idea of a poly-carb case for travel.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 13:12:54 »

Well I guess I can't read. Some of those other buys must have massive profit margins then. Either way I love the idea of a poly-carb case for travel.

I did say that the quote for base is ~40% cheaper and the price point should be lower for an all polycarbonate board but I wouldn't say that it'll be a massive (for example $100) price difference between all polycarb and all aluminium. Plates doesn't have that big of a difference and I don't have a quote for a polycarbonate top.

GB pricing is still a mystery and not final so it's hard to say at this time. Customs and shipping is what I still need to figure out as shipping costs can't be calculated before I've not ordered anything, also I don't know how it is when you something that big (size and quantity wise). Customs are a bit easier but still depends on final sum and the people involved. I'll do my best to get a bit more concrete data by the end of next week.

Sincerely, Emils

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 13:15:55 »

I did say that the quote for base is ~40% cheaper and the price point should be lower for an all polycarbonate board but I wouldn't say that it'll be a massive (for example $100) price difference between all polycarb and all aluminium. Plates doesn't have that big of a difference and I don't have a quote for a polycarbonate top.

GB pricing is still a mystery and not final so it's hard to say at this time. Customs and shipping is what I still need to figure out as shipping costs can't be calculated before I've not ordered anything, also I don't know how it is when you something that big (size and quantity wise). Customs are a bit easier but still depends on final sum and the people involved. I'll do my best to get a bit more concrete data by the end of next week.

Sincerely, Emils

Sound great, keep up the good work.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 13:31:59 »
Take your time man there isn't any rush  :-*

Offline Baron

• oops its me
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 15:54:13 »
i really love this

id love to join in on buying but im not sure if that would be a wise idea for me without the pcb having hotswap sockets

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 17:19:04 »
Agreed with other commentors. No rush.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 14:18:24 »
i really love this

id love to join in on buying but im not sure if that would be a wise idea for me without the pcb having hotswap sockets

You're not much into soldering?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 14:23:58 »
PCBs are here!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 14:47:51 »
PCBs are here!

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! ^-^

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 15:29:01 »
i really love this

A lot of people are afraid of ruining their PCB when soldering.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 15:39:03 »
i really love this

A lot of people are afraid of ruining their PCB when soldering.
Well, it's a trade you gotta learn someday if you want a custom. Now there's more and more hotswap PCBs but soldering switches isn't rocket science. Unfortunately I can't support hotswap sockets in round 1. Maybe later I can make a "no compromise" single layout PCB with Kailh sockets...

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 19:33:56 »
That PCB!

- Handsome routing
- Alps support
- Breakout pins

I'm really excited for this little thing.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 08:55:25 »
That PCB!

- Handsome routing
- Alps support
- Breakout pins

Mmm, which breakout pins do you mean? There's no breakout pins on those proto pcbs.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:02:28 »
I really like this, very unique!

Just one matter of doubt though, is that a 2u left shift? Since that really screwed keycap compatibility :P

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:07:31 »

Just one matter of doubt though, is that a 2u left shift? Since that really screwed keycap compatibility :P

No, it's 2.25u. That'd be evil of me. :D Check "Idea" section in OP, there's a image of the layout with key sizes.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:18:13 »

No, it's 2.25u. That'd be evil of me. :D Check "Idea" section in OP, there's a image of the layout with key sizes.

Thank god :P Good stuff :)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 13:19:22 »
That PCB!

- Handsome routing
- Alps support
- Breakout pins

I thought I saw a line of them on the left. I realize now those are for the indicator LEDs.
Mmm, which breakout pins do you mean? There's no breakout pins on those proto pcbs.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:19:08 »
Ugh, I'm such a sucker for left columns. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:22:23 »
Getting more hyped for this, 40% was too little and this is looking just right :)

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:27:57 »
it's looking really good. I may be interested ;) Nice work!
Really cute compact keeb <3

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:35:26 »

Haha, I can say the same thing about DSA Milkshake! :D I think that TMO-50 and DSA Milkshake is a perfect match for cuteness!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:40:07 »

Haha, I can say the same thing about DSA Milkshake! :D I think that TMO-50 and DSA Milkshake is a perfect match for cuteness!

I thought the same lmao. I need to see a render with that combo! (fruits on the left would look cool af)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:59:50 »
Full polycarb, brass plate. Gotta be a thing.

Great work.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 08:19:02 »
really looking forward to this. great job so far  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 08:43:41 »
I do not how I had missed this until today. The layout is just what I may want to go the under sixty route. I did not participate in the original poll, but I strongly prefer the original design with blockers. But, it is understandable that some need the full bottom row, considering that this keyboard is small. Goodspeed.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 08:45:41 »
I do not how I had missed this until today. The layout is just what I may want to go the under sixty route. I did not participate in the original poll, but I strongly prefer the original design with blockers. But, it is understandable that some need the full bottom row, considering that this keyboard is small. Goodspeed.

Show Image

Haha. Good to hear!

Blocker design is the only design for now so you're good!

Offline zutroy

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 09:36:46 »
ideus directed me here, and I echo everything in the above comment. Blockers are awesome, super cool project, very interested, will stay tuned  :thumb:

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 10:11:17 »

I thought the same lmao. I need to see a render with that combo! (fruits on the left would look cool af)

I was thinking of trying to snag an extra of DSA drifter for this board... But I just saw your Weirdo kit, and I think I like those better :o 
I also like the overall smoother look of Milkshake.

Definitely going to make a great combo! 
I wish I liked DSA more... I'm still totally going to buy a set, but still :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2018, 10:13:23 by vewy_nice »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:26:55 »
XDA Oblique may fit this keyboard very well. With accents included. Could someone may gracefully prepare a render with them along?

Offline Harms

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 00:00:04 »
Option for full bottom row please? :D

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Offline godinjointform

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:13:05 »
Bit late to the party, but I adore the layout and look. Count on me for one when it gets to group buy  :thumb:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 04:37:10 »
Wow...this is nice!!  :thumb:

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:32:07 »
Option for full bottom row please? :D

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

this was already questioned in https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94675.msg2601655#msg2601655

Looks very nice. I will keep an eye on this.
Wishing for: angled, high profile and full bottom row.

Angled - yes
High profile - absolutely
Full bottom row - not in round one

Thank you, definitely do! :)