Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159372 times)

Offline le_wraith

Re: [IC] TMO-50 keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:32:14 »
Very intrigued by this. Looks amazing and would likely make me take the leap to downsize from 60%. 

Offline Lormania

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 18:05:47 »
Definitely going to get in on this one!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 18:14:01 »
I really appreciate the designer's intention to allow the use of standard sets with the TMO-50's layout. That makes this a great option to encourage more people to make the transition to under sixty keyboards.

Offline odd

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 20:06:33 »
I must own this. I love the layout, gimme!  ;D

Offline jlee755

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:34:40 »
I love this board and I think this will very well be my first <60%!

How much extra room do you anticipate inside the case? If I wanted to make my own PCB in the future, for example, would there be any room for a battery, you reckon? Lithium ion, cell battery perhaps?

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:42:25 »
It's pretty tight, I don't think there'd be enough room for any significant battery, unless you milled a custom pocket in the bottom case.

I'll defer to Funderburker on the official specs, but that's just my observation. (Look at how low the front of the case is in the 3D printed model!)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:44:08 »
I love this board and I think this will very well be my first <60%!

How much extra room do you anticipate inside the case? If I wanted to make my own PCB in the future, for example, would there be any room for a battery, you reckon? Lithium ion, cell battery perhaps?

This board is made precisely for people that want to go <60% without much compromise! There's almost no extra room inside the case though as it's designed to be as low and compact as possible. Bluetooth is on the to-do list for Round 2 if first round takes off though!

Definitely going to get in on this one!

It's in progress actually and I'll have some factory samples mid of June hopefully. Still have time to save up on this!

I really appreciate the designer's intention to allow the use of standard sets with the TMO-50's layout. That makes this a great option to encourage more people to make the transition to under sixty keyboards.

Show Image

Thank you for the appreciation! Tried to design it so base kit can be used comfortably for TMO50. It'd be a shame to make a board that made people purchase a special kit just to use it! Also I can't afford GMK sets myself so making a board that meant I would need to spend even more didn't look like a good idea. :D

Very intrigued by this. Looks amazing and would likely make me take the leap to downsize from 60%. 

Thanks! Stay tuned for couple of weeks and factory samples are about be ordered.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:43:19 »
UPDATE

It's been a while but I have a few updates:
  • First of all, the official name is being changed to TMO50 instead of TMO-50. A small change but think it's a bit more compact and the dash was unneeded.
  • I changed the exploded view in OP so check that out for bit more details of each part. Also let me know if you like that case colour!
  • I'm about to order some samples so please stay tuned for just couple of weeks. Straight after I receive samples I'm going to open the GB (2nd/3rd week of June)

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline typischt

Re: [IC] TMO50 keyboard
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 10:30:29 »
Really nice about the soon running GB!
Would it possible to get the PCB files?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:06:23 »
UPDATE

I changed the exploded view in OP so check that out for bit more details of each part. Also let me know if you like that case color!

The beige render's color  is my preferred one.

Are the leds going to be programable? They would be very useful as layers indicators.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:10:23 »
UPDATE

I changed the exploded view in OP so check that out for bit more details of each part. Also let me know if you like that case color!

The beige render's color  is my preferred one.

Are the leds going to be programable? They would be very useful as layers indicators.
Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind. Just experimenting with some colours.

Yeah, indicator LEDs are programmable but they're 2×3×4(5?)mm THT leds. They're basically there because of layer indication. It's not like this board with have "lock" keys. :D

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:14:17 »
Sorry but why? Don't want to come of as rude but even though I value OS projects, TMO50 isn't one of them. As it's a custom layout with everything done by scratch I don't feel comfortable with sharing these files. Especially before a GB that's on its way.

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:37:14 by funderburker »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:27:48 »
QMK's ACTION_LAYER_TOGGLE(layer) may provide layer locking, right? It may work great along with LED's.

Offline typischt

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 18:54:51 »
Sorry but why? Don't want to come of as rude but even though I value OS projects, TMO50 isn't one of them. As it's a custom layout with everything done by scratch I don't feel comfortable with sharing these files. Especially before a GB that's on its way.

Hey funderburker
I‘m incredibly sorry if this question came across rude and made it seem as if I didn‘t want to support you and your design. To clarify: If the situation (money etc.) is right when the GB is running, I will totally join in!
The question came up in a discussion with a friend when talking about what kind of projects with customized keyboards would be cool (an the fact that his school seems to have, for lack of a better word, a „machine“ with which you can theoretically assemble and produce PCBs). I posted it without thinking twice about it being inappropriate when the GB didn‘t even run yet.
I know that some people in the community have a weird entitlement attitude and I myself find it often annoying. Even though I acted the same with my question, I want you to know that it was not my intention and I really appreciate the time and work you put into this awesome design!
Cheers!

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 12:18:34 »

Hey funderburker
I‘m incredibly sorry if this question came across rude and made it seem as if I didn‘t want to support you and your design. To clarify: If the situation (money etc.) is right when the GB is running, I will totally join in!
The question came up in a discussion with a friend when talking about what kind of projects with customized keyboards would be cool (an the fact that his school seems to have, for lack of a better word, a „machine“ with which you can theoretically assemble and produce PCBs). I posted it without thinking twice about it being inappropriate when the GB didn‘t even run yet.
I know that some people in the community have a weird entitlement attitude and I myself find it often annoying. Even though I acted the same with my question, I want you to know that it was not my intention and I really appreciate the time and work you put into this awesome design!
Cheers!

If you want to get some PCB files for a project board you could look at the files for the GH60 here - http://blog.komar.be/projects/gh60-programmable-keyboard/

if not there might be a couple of open source PCBs available on the forums, one of which us called the Toad (V2 is latest version) and you can find the thread/files in the Building Things Together part of the forum  :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 12:41:20 »

A gentleman's answer. Mine would be a simple no.

------------------------- Upcoming layout:

An OG XT and DE alphas combo on the TMO50 layout. The top row is R1, because the letters can easily be typed on by touch; while the symbols are not that easy. The DE set has three symbols per key, making it more efficient for this small footprint. What do you think?

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 14:44:01 by ideus »

Offline CosmosAtlas

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 01:04:35 »
I really like this design. It have a full alpha area which is great! Would buy when it's available!

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 01:27:42 »
Registered specifically to watch this thread.

Gorgeous work, this is pretty much my endgame  :D

Offline Createboardhk

• Createboard
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 02:11:21 »
It's a special layout, very interesting! I hope it's pink!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 05:27:51 »
------------------------- Upcoming layout:

An OG XT and DE alphas combo on the TMO50 layout. The top row is R1, because the letters can easily be typed on by touch; while the symbols are not that easy. The DE set has three symbols per key, making it more efficient for this small footprint. What do you think?

Show Image

Looking hot ideus! So cool that you've thought about this and can't wait to see this keyset combo on the board! :)

Hey funderburker
Cheers!

No problem man. It sounds like your friend is going to one heck of a cool school! :) I appreciate you giving me a detailed answer and wish you the best with trying the "machine" out. There's a bunch of OS keyboard projects out there now that customs are not only for the wealthy (probably now a lot of these :D) but also super minimal and low-cost ones. Some of which I used to understand PCB designs better. You can ai03's repos as well RealLaugh's mentioned GH60, Toad and there's definitely some others. Do check the "Building Things Together" part of GH too!

Registered specifically to watch this thread.

Gorgeous work, this is pretty much my endgame  :D

Haha, it's an honour to be in the spotlight for you. GH has a great community btw so if you're really into mechanical keyboards, there's a lot of interesting threads here. Do follow TMO50 thread though as I'm hoping that GB could happen in about two/three weeks time.

It's a special layout, very interesting! I hope it's pink!

Definitely thinking about it.

I really like this design. It have a full alpha area which is great! Would buy when it's available!

All alphas are a MUST for myself and was one of the most important design choice for this board. Definitely nice to have a full home row. :)

Offline godinjointform

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 08:05:11 »
Show Image

What a cool idea, I'd love to see this on the TMO

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 08:26:34 »

I think the upcoming GMK Space Cadet is a great pair with this board, how about you all?  :p

Offline jlee755

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 18:30:06 »
Show Image

I think the upcoming GMK Space Cadet is a great pair with this board, how about you all? 
I think some thick PBTs would be fun with this one. I'm really excited to hear what it'd sound like in such a small case!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 21:46:06 »
No redundant symbols this time. It includes mostly OG DE DS plus 7 ANSI keys, only. I just realized that the DE's symbol pairs are totally logic:

,;
.:
-_
´`
<>

QMX guys: Could Alt Gr behavoir, ala US-Int, be implemented? Is there a programming example available? Or, is it just another layer?

Cannot wait for this to be under my fingers. Thankyou Sir Burker for sharing this nice project with the community.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 21:59:53 »
No redundant symbols this time. It includes mostly OG DE DS plus 7 ANSI keys, only. I just realized that the DE's symbol pairs are totally logic:

,;
.:
-_
´`
<>

QMX guys: Could Alt Gr behavoir, ala US-Int, be implemented? Is there a programming example available? Or, is it just another layer?

Cannot wait for this to be under my fingers. Thankyou Sir Burker for sharing this nice project with the community.

Show Image

Show Image

You have the stagger for rows 2 and 3 swapped. It's a 0.25u stagger for r2 and a 0.5 stagger for r3, like on a normal layout.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 22:05:55 »

,;
.:
-_
´`
<>

Show Image

Show Image

You have the stagger for rows 2 and 3 swapped. It's a 0.25u stagger for r2 and a 0.5 stagger for r3, like on a normal layout.

I am using the second option stated in the OP:

"Middle row can go two ways:
1.Regular (0.25u / 0.5u) stagger but for Ctrl/Enter you'd need to get 40% kit for right profiles (base kit would be 1.75u R3 CapsLock + 1.25u R4 Modifier).
2.Small (0.25u / 0.25u) stagger but Ctrl/Enter can be R2 Tab & \| keys so there's a slight profile difference but layout is completely base kit compatible."

I do not want to be limited to forty kits.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 05:48:45 »
is there any information about the available colors yet?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 06:00:40 »
I'll put those up in about a week. Four colours.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 08:13:46 »

cool!!!

Thank you  ;D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 12:06:27 »

cool!!!

Thank you  ;D

Four colors! Wow! One more good point for the designer.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 00:25:39 »
Show Image

I think the upcoming GMK Space Cadet is a great pair with this board, how about you all?  :p

Wow this set looks great on this board! I'm seriously sooooo excited for this board to become a reality. I have so many fun things I want to do with it!

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 03:52:53 »
Waduheck. This layout is a dream, even for 40 users. *Replace a keyboard in want list with TMO50*
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:28:13 »
+1 on the pink colour request!

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 12:16:30 »
Waduheck. This layout is a dream, even for 40 users. *Replace a keyboard in want list with TMO50*

Right?! I thought I was content with my one 40% board but then I saw this one.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 12:57:02 »
TMO50 has just the right amount of keys on the nicest layout with obliged blockers and a functional column. None less, it has the option for just standard keys. Right! no need for obfuscating forty sets. Insanely well thought! Stop the hype and embrace the reality. Let the forties being display items and begin using this sub-sixty a daily driver.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 May 2018, 12:58:33 by ideus »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:33:34 »
GB starts when?   :p

Offline ParkYongSeung

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 20:59:28 »
This arrangement is great.
When is GB?
I am looking forward to it.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:00:47 »
BIG UPDATE

Logo

So TMO50 has finally got a logo. I really like it and think it's simple, clean and has a "flow" to it. Also it'll look pretty good in stickers form (yes, they'll be available with ALL GB orders)

More

Samples

It's been kept on the down-low for a while now but I've been chatting with a group of testers and we've organized a small batch of case/plate samples from the factory I'm planning to use. The production process is starting tomorrow and is around three weeks. Once testers receive their keyboards and do some testing (quality control etc.) I'm making a GB thread with all the details. So that means GB could start beginning of July unfortunately instead of mid June.  :-[

Case colours
For now I've decided to go for 4 colours. These 4 are FINAL. Maybe 5. What do you guys think of military/olive green? :p
Also I have a question related to plate colours. I had an idea about doing darker/lighter plate colour than the case but not doing the same colour for both parts. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:45:05 by funderburker »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:03:32 »
BIG UPDATE

LOGO

So TMO50 has finally got a logo. I really like it and think it's simple, clean and has a "flow" to it. Also it'll look pretty good in stickers form (yes, they'll be available with ALL GB orders)

More
Show Image

Samples

It's been kept on the down-low for a while now but I've been chatting with a group of testers and we've organized a small batch of case/plate samples from the factory I'm planning to use. The production process is starting tomorrow and around three weeks. Once testers receive their keyboards and do some testing (quality control etc.) I'm making a GB thread with all the details. So that means GB could start beginning of July unfortunately instead of mid June.  :-[

Case colours
For now I've decided to go for 4 colours. These 4 are FINAL. Maybe 5. What do you guys think of military/olive green? :p
Also I have a question related to plate colours. I had an idea about doing darker/lighter plate colour than the case but not doing the same colour for both parts. What do you guys think?
I would love to see a military green/ olive.

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:06:50 »
BIG UPDATE

LOGO

More
Show Image

Samples

It's been kept on the down-low for a while now but I've been chatting with a group of testers and we've organized a small batch of case/plate samples from the factory I'm planning to use. The production process is starting tomorrow and is around three weeks. Once testers receive their keyboards and do some testing (quality control etc.) I'm making a GB thread with all the details. So that means GB could start beginning of July unfortunately instead of mid June.  :-[

Case colours

Heck yeah that pink RULES. I like the idea of a lighter colour for the plate, that vibrant pink with a more pastel/pale pink plate would be cute as hell - likewise for the blue.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:13:19 »
BIG UPDATE

LOGO

More
Show Image

Samples

Case colours

love the progress!

this keyboard would be coming to work with me occasionally so I can't do blue or pink.  I was hoping for something like the render.  Military/Olive Green would also work, so I hope that is an option.  Of course gray is fine but I have a few other gray keyboards so that's out (my issue, not yours of course!).  can't wait for the GB!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:15:20 »
BIG UPDATE

LOGO

More
Show Image

Samples

Case colours

Heck yeah that pink RULES. I like the idea of a lighter colour for the plate, that vibrant pink with a more pastel/pale pink plate would be cute as hell - likewise for the blue.

Right? Also a dark gray plate for a silver board would look nice. I just like when a board has some contrast between the plate and case.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:19:21 »
love the progress!

this keyboard would be coming to work with me occasionally so I can't do blue or pink.  I was hoping for something like the render.  Military/Olive Green would also work, so I hope that is an option.  Of course gray is fine but I have a few other gray keyboards so that's out (my issue, not yours of course!).  can't wait for the GB!

At first I was into the render board also and I still am but unfortunately white and really light colours are hard to do with anodization and the factory only offers anodization. MAO would allow doing white boards but that's not an option right now. :(

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:55:04 »
At first I was into the render board also and I still am but unfortunately white and really light colours are hard to do with anodization and the factory only offers anodization. MAO would allow doing white boards but that's not an option right now. :(

I'm not complaining.. the layout is by far the biggest selling point for me.  that said, I have a little buyers remorse for not grabbing the M60 in sage green so this could be my redemption.  Whatever you decide is going to be awesome though... it's your baby!  What would look good with DSA Milkshake? silver or gray then?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:03:57 »
I'm not complaining.. the layout is by far the biggest selling point for me.  that said, I have a little buyers remorse for not grabbing the M60 in sage green so this could be my redemption.  Whatever you decide is going to be awesome though... it's your baby!  What would look good with DSA Milkshake? silver or gray then?

If green gets enough traction it's in. Basically I'm willing to do 5 colours max but 4 colours are certainly going to happen. Speaking of DSA Milkshake, it's hard to say.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:18:09 »
I might be in for some green as well, as long as it's a light green. Personally not a fan of the pink and blue, silver and grey are the obvious for slightly boring color options (both needed though imho).

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:47:38 »

If green gets enough traction it's in. Basically I'm willing to do 5 colours max but 4 colours are certainly going to happen. Speaking of DSA Milkshake, it's hard to say.
The green needs to be very dark imo with a kind of mudish tone

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:48:15 »

I think the silver would look better with milkshake, it's less of a contrast between the keyset's pastely colours

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:49:52 »

I think the silver would look better with milkshake, it's less of a contrast between the keyset's pastely colours
Would agree as well because dsa milks. is a very simple set (in a good way)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:39:04 »

Get both colors. Even better, get all of them and try them for yourself.  :p