Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159359 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] TMO-50 keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 01:14:53 »
This board is too cute! I Filled out the IC - I'd love to test a prototype! Playin with firmware is totally my thing.

Yeah, the renders does make it look cute! Will definitely do a prototype in those colours as they're starting to grow on me. :D

Looking forward to seeing this project come to life! Filled out the IC <3

Thank you for the support. :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 06:36:41 »
I'm so into this, I've been playing with layouts on a 60% and have gotten to a point where I just don't use the top row anymore. Having those extra function keys would make a 40% daily driver even more viable (especially with an extra numpad if needs be).

Plus it looks cute as ****

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 00:10:11 »
This is amazing I'd love to help prototype I have been wantign to own a <60% in size and this seems amazing. I'd love it if it wasn't floating keys but it's a really cool layout regardless so i'm definitely interested!
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 06:23:15 »
In in in

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 07:48:06 »
I wanted to say a big thank you all for the IC form responses and comments here as it is really motivating me to find time and work on this project more.

A bit of feedback about the process right now:

I see that there's majority of people (39.5%) that want hot-swappable sockets (as do I) but do to various layouts and my not so big knowledge in pcbs I don't think I can support Kailh sockets. Sorry about this but I'll look into Holtite sockets and the sizings to support those as it wouldn't overcomplicate PCB design.

Regarding switch LEDs (25.6%) and RGB underglow (32.6%) - I'm actively working on implementing both of these features as it's probably easier for me to support this from the get-go. About the RGB underglow and case - Bottom part of the case is slightly "lifting" the top part of the case so there'll be about 1 or 2mm spacing that'll allow for a nice RGB underglow "rim" under the board.

Also as for ALPS support - I'm using ai03 KiCad library for switch footprints and those footprints are "hybrids" as in - they support both MX and ALPS switches.

More about possible layouts that some people are mentioning in my IC responses - I truly appreciate your feedback but the layout is 100% decided on right now. Any keys that doesn't "overlay" the existing layout isn't really possible as that would mean designing a specific case for it. I will keep these IC responses for next rounds though if the GB goes well and will take your feedback into account.

Seeing that the interest on this is quite active (almost 5-6 responses each day) I'm also actively searching info about manufacturing side of things as the amount of interest is no longer just "a small batch for friends". All though I see you all as my friends  :-*

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline sleepy

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:12:16 »
I wanted to say a big thank you all for the IC form responses and comments here as it is really motivating me to find time and work on this project more.

I see that there's majority of people (39.5%) that want hot-swappable sockets (as do I) but do to various layouts and my not so big knowledge in pcbs I don't think I can support Kailh sockets. Sorry about this but I'll look into Holtite sockets and the sizings to support those as it wouldn't overcomplicate PCB design.

Regarding switch LEDs (25.6%) and RGB underglow (32.6%) - I'm actively working on implementing both of these features as it's probably easier for me to support this from the get-go. About the RGB underglow and case - Bottom part of the case is slightly "lifting" the top part of the case so there'll be about 1 or 2mm spacing that'll allow for a nice RGB underglow "rim" under the board.

Also as for ALPS support - I'm using ai03 KiCad library for switch footprints and those footprints are "hybrids" as in - they support both MX and ALPS switches.

More about possible layouts that some people are mentioning in my IC responses - I truly appreciate your feedback but the layout is 100% decided on right now. Any keys that doesn't "overlay" the existing layout isn't really possible as that would mean designing a specific case for it. I will keep these IC responses for next rounds though if the GB goes well and will take your feedback into account.

Seeing that the interest on this is quite active (almost 5-6 responses each day) I'm also actively searching info about manufacturing side of things as the amount of interest is no longer just "a small batch for friends". All though I see you all as my friends  :-*

Thanks for the update! I can't wait to see this happen  :)

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:17:11 »

eeeek thanks for the update! I spent an inordinate amount of time at work today noodling around with keymaps for this layouttt

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:43:56 »

Thanks for the update! Good job sticking to your guns as to what's possible it can be easy to get sucked into always wanting to add more more and more!

Still so excited for this.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 15:59:36 »
UPDATE

It's late and I'm quite tired so I'll keep it short.
  • Got contacts for a CNC manufacturing place in China so will get quotes for the case. Want to checkout some local CNC places too just for ****s and giggles. Will keep you posted when I get some more info.
  • Redid PCB schematics to accommodate RGB underglow and switch LEDs, positioned everything and made the PCB look all pretty. Will wire everything up tomorrow or the day after that.

More

Offline matt.pierce

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 00:52:16 »
Is it too late at this point to make the split spacebar interchangeable? Overall, I'm digging everything and hope to see this come to life!

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 03:19:03 »
Nice update!

I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying something, is this layout correct keys-wise? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/1f8bf8115cedf52c677acf6866fe6e34

Been fiddling with different ones while at work so pls don't judge me too much on this  ;)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 03:48:47 »
Nice update!

I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying something, is this layout correct keys-wise? http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/1f8bf8115cedf52c677acf6866fe6e34

Been fiddling with different ones while at work so pls don't judge me too much on this  ;)
Hey. Awesome that you're already figuring out your own key mapping! Mmm, it's a bit wrong but it means I must add a normal KLE image with key sizes. EDIT: Added in OP under "Idea" section

Here's the layout in KLE, take this and experiment! :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 04:11:33 by funderburker »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:33:57 »
Looking great! Really digging the layout.

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:42:36 »
Nice update!

Hey. Awesome that you're already figuring out your own key mapping! Mmm, it's a bit wrong but it means I must add a normal KLE image with key sizes. EDIT: Added in OP under "Idea" section

Here's the layout in KLE, take this and experiment! :)

ooh that's neat, thanks for adding that! so bad at judging that stuff by eye

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:31:48 »
Almost done with PCB routing.  :cool:

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 18:11:10 »

Woo! Can't wait to see it!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 10:04:34 »
This looks like it can be a true endgame board!

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 10:53:26 »
This looks like it can be a true endgame board!

for me at this point endgame is defined as "the next keyboard"  :))

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 05:43:39 »
eugh,,, ain't that the truth

I saw Norbauer's heavy-6 IC and was like "yessss endgame" and basically the very next day saw someone's cool 40% setup and starting thinking about new keebs again

Offline sleepy

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 15:01:09 »

Sweet!  :)

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 21:33:35 »
I like it. I'm like 10wpm on a 40% but I'd get one

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 15:00:34 »
Hey guys!

I've closed feedback form about the board as I'm pretty much done with this stage of the project. Thank you all for the feedback, it was truly helpful and I appreciate each and every answer. The features that's not incorporated into this version of the board is definitely put in backlog so they're not lost. :)

Schematics and PCB is done* (* - just cleaning routing a bit but it's done), re-working case design a bit to accommodate new PCB and doing some other adjustments. Everything is moving along!

Sorry if that I don't have more info about other stuff, have a lot of stuff going on outside of this project. Trying to do the hardware stuff now as I'll have a lot more work during next two weeks but I'll have time to send emails about quotes. No quotes if PCB and case design isn't done you know?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 16:45:52 »
Hey everybody yet again!

I've been working hard this weekend but I wanted to say that I've decided to redo the case model from scratch.

A lot of work has gone into PCB to get it as good as I possibly can make it but I did the case design after PCB v1 (before I even started this IC) and before v2 (now). As the IC has really made me see the potential of this project and with all the high quality boards coming out nowadays I see that I need to make the best product I possibly can. That means going in deep and working on every aspect of the product and thoroughly examining the details and not cutting corners. I truly believe that no one wants a half-baked keyboard especially one that's a layout of it's own.

Regarding the design seen in renders - most of it is going to stay, at least the visible side of things. Front will have the angled lip and corners will be more rounded than in the back. Things I'll try to change is the height of the overall board and bezels. I'm also thinking about the dilemma of going with a flat or an angled bottom.

With a really busy schedule for the next two weeks I can't say when I'll be done with all of this. I'll be ordering a small batch of PCBs for testing purposes this week so hopefully I'll have something to show you all next week.

It's late and I'm super tired so have sorry if there's any typos. Hope you all understand and aren't mad about any of this info.

Sincerely,
Emils

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 16:55:46 »
Hey everybody yet again!

I've been working hard this weekend but I wanted to say that I've decided to redo the case model from scratch.

A lot of work has gone into PCB to get it as good as I possibly can make it but I did the case design after PCB v1 (before I even started this IC) and before v2 (now). As the IC has really made me see the potential of this project and with all the high quality boards coming out nowadays I see that I need to make the best product I possibly can. That means going in deep and working on every aspect of the product and thoroughly examining the details and not cutting corners. I truly believe that no one wants a half-baked keyboard especially one that's a layout of it's own.

Regarding the design seen in renders - most of it is going to stay, at least the visible side of things. Front will have the angled lip and corners will be more rounded than in the back. Things I'll try to change is the height of the overall board and bezels. I'm also thinking about the dilemma of going with a flat or an angled bottom.

With a really busy schedule for the next two weeks I can't say when I'll be done with all of this. I'll be ordering a small batch of PCBs for testing purposes this week so hopefully I'll have something to show you all next week.

It's late and I'm super tired so have sorry if there's any typos. Hope you all understand and aren't mad about any of this info.

Sincerely,
Emils

Take your time! I'd rather see a delayed great board than a rushed good one.

Thanks for the update!

Offline XXXXXXXX

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:32:07 »
Hey everybody yet again!

Sincerely,
Emils

Taking your time is great, it means my wallet can recover and the board can come out better. No pressure, you do you.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 19:22:59 »
I need more HiPro cases in my life!   Take your time... we already know you have a good eye.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 20:32:49 »
Hey everybody yet again!

Sincerely,
Emils

I'm glad to hear stuff is going well  :)  Take your time!

About the angled/flat bottom - if you go with a flat bottom, those who want angled could maybe get some feet to pop on the case as well. Though, I think I do prefer angled myself.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 05:28:39 »
just here to echo what other have already said, take your time and your doing a great job keeping us updated regularly.

Offline matt.pierce

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 08:08:19 »
This project has a lot of potential, you made a wise decision! You got me even more excited about this.  :thumb:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:44:54 »
Hey guys! It's been two weeks and I'm still busy with personal matters...

BUT that does not mean that the project isn't worked on!

I've done great progress with the case design, mainly "under the hood". Redid the case from the ground up so case bezels and front height is as small as possible while accommodating great screw placement (10 total for the plate, 8 for the case). I wasn't happy with the flat version of the case as that meant it's THICC everywhere so the new case is angled, allowing to lower the front and getting an even thicker butt. All has been done with the factory tooling in mind as I've contacted them and asked for any information regarding corner radiuses, tolerances etc. Renders are in process too so you'll just have to wait a little longer for a bigger announcement. I haven't even had the time to get any 3D prints done unfortunately! :(

Prototype PCBs has been ordered and are yet to be received. Once they get here I still have to solder all the components so I can't say when will that be. While waiting on PCBs, I've played around with component placement so that I can make routing as clean as possible reducing GND "blind areas" and thus reducing vias and stuff like that.

About the pricing - I don't have a fixed number for you all though yet. I can say though that it looks like it'll be $200+. I need to crunch more numbers still as there's a lot of factors like customs and shipping expenses (both for cases and PCBs), also the packaging.

So that's a small update of how it's going! Hope everyone's doing great and that interest about this board is still there!  :thumb:

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 08:20:52 »
Definitely still interested!

Put me down for one, even now! I just absolutely love the layout, and can't help buy support awesome projects like this :)

Offline beekey

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 08:59:09 »
Looks very nice. I will keep an eye on this.
Wishing for: angled, high profile and full bottom row.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 09:07:51 »

Angled - yes
High profile - absolutely
Full bottom row - not in round one

Thank you, definitely do! :)

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 13:38:54 »

Angled - yes

You had me at Angled and high profile.

Offline beekey

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 14:48:30 »

Angled - yes

OK, then I pass and wait. Can´t stand this HHKB layout. Good luck with the GB.

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 20:21:30 »
I’m digging this layout especially with the QMK support and macros on the left. I will look into it if the price is reasonable. Good luck!  :thumb:

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 01:34:24 »
I’m digging this layout especially with the QMK support and macros on the left. I will look into it if the price is reasonable. Good luck!  :thumb:

I apologize if you already saw but he mentioned above the current estimate of price will be $200+ 

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 07:21:25 »

I apologize if you already saw but he mentioned above the current estimate of price will be $200+

I appreciate the response and yeah I seen the estimated price earlier in the thread, but I think that Input Club's Kira was originally expected to be under $200 for the aluminum build and yet it was going for $260 during the GB. I just hope that the price won't increase dramatically without additional features like hot swappable pcb or something.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 13:55:58 »

I appreciate the response and yeah I seen the estimated price earlier in the thread, but I think that Input Club's Kira was originally expected to be under $200 for the aluminum build and yet it was going for $260 during the GB. I just hope that the price won't increase dramatically without additional features like hot swappable pcb or something.

ahh yeah such is the cycle in Keyboards it often can get pricey when you want a low quantity custom machined project.

Just as an aside I don't personally care at all about hot swappable pcb if that costs extra please don't add it.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 14:08:32 »
Hot swappable isn't going to happen. Multiple layout configurations doesn't really allow Kailh sockets and I read a bit more about Holtites (mainly a discussion on TGR-910CE) and it's not worth it, sounds like it has far more cons than pros.

Pcbs will feature RGBs for underglow and switch LEDs though, also the indicator LEDs so I've covered all bases.

Talking about the case and plate, it'll have couple of options so they're will be multiple pricings...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:17:25 »
There are other hotswap socket options that can be soldered in. The US services vendor TurboKeys has them in stock for installation but won't sell them separately. I don't know the part number, I will try to ask.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:23:56 »
Hot swappable isn't going to happen. Multiple layout configurations doesn't really allow Kailh sockets and I read a bit more about Holtites (mainly a discussion on TGR-910CE) and it's not worth it, sounds like it has far more cons than pros.

Pcbs will feature RGBs for underglow and switch LEDs though, also the indicator LEDs so I've covered all bases.

Talking about the case and plate, it'll have couple of options so they're will be multiple pricings...

What kind of options funder do you mean mostly material choices? (brass vs aluminum)

Is there a plan for there to be a diffuser in this? I don't see it in any of the renders

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 03:11:33 »

What kind of options funder do you mean mostly material choices? (brass vs aluminum)

Is there a plan for there to be a diffuser in this? I don't see it in any of the renders

Yeah, mostly material choices.

Well, if we're talking about choices then I'll tell you. For now I'm thinking about offering:
  • Top - anodized aluminium (6063), possibly matte polycarbonate
  • Plate - anodized aluminium (6063), matte polycarbonate, possibly brass
  • Bottom - anodized aluminium (6063), matte polycarbonate
There's no weight as it's another part that'll drive the price up, gotta draw the line somewhere...

Yes, the diffuser part - it's not so clear from the renders in OP but the "red" part actually would've been polycarbonate that's a little thicker than the "bed" it's sitting in, giving a nice lighting rim around the base like a Mechmini 2. Now that the bottom is angled, it'll look more like NIU mini by KBDFans. Given that the base itself is a diffuser, an alu bottom would mean that there's no RGB underglow. It's a compromise of the design. I'll try and get some renders with both top/bottom combos and various angles so you can see for yourselves.

Just to keep a bit of "hype" about that new case, I'd like to mention some case sizes as I'm quite proud about what has been achieved...  Still behind Xondat on going as low as possible but lower than a lot of other boards. :cool:
  • Bezels are 3mm on the sides, 6mm on top and bottom.
  • Front height of plate-to-desk is 9.5mm and case-to-desk is 16.4mm.
  • 6 degree angled base.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:37:37 by funderburker »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 05:16:27 »
Finally found the time and chance (there's usually some other long-ass print going on) to start printing the new case. Should be done and in my hands tomorrow evening!  :)

More

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 09:31:06 »
Finally found the time and chance (there's usually some other long-ass print going on) to start printing the new case. Should be done and in my hands tomorrow evening!  :)

More
Show Image

woop go 3D printer so that we can see what you did there :)

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 12:30:58 »
So so so excited to see this board come to life!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:03:15 »
Received the print yesterday, laser cut the plate today. Don't have screws on me rn so it's not screwed together but it fits together great!
Album with more pics

I didn't check minimal wall thickness for the printer so that's why there's those weird cutouts on the back (and backside corners).

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:28:41 »
Looks amazing! Going to be the ultimate travel board.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 12:02:46 »
Wow that looks awesome! Are you happy with the prototype? Does this mean GB is coming soonish? :)

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 14:26:59 »
I'm loving that size and design! great progress