Author Topic: [IC] TMO50 keyboard  (Read 159365 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
[IC] TMO50 keyboard
« on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 05:52:42 »
Hey GH pals & gals!
I'm excited to announce a IC for a project that's close to my heart!

Render by Dixie

Render by PyroL

Exploded view of the case

Possible colour/material combos
Photos of plate options
Photos of case bottom options

TL;DR
More
  • A 50% keyboard for people that wants to something more compact and functional than a 60%
  • Almost full keyset base kit compatibility (EVEN profile wise)
  • TMK/QMK programmabililty
  • MX & Alps compatibility
  • Sane default keymapping
  • Macro column for artisan showcasing

Why a 50%?

I've been without a mechanical keyboard for almost a year now and a during this period I've been experimeting with layouts that are suitable to my own keyboard preferences and writing style.
From previous experience I knew a 40% is nice but it's a bit too limiting for me as there's some keys that are "hidden" in a layer but that I use all the time. Also 60% is great and practical but there's
some keys that aren't used or used rarely and others that are in the wrong locations for me.

So playing around with the perfect layout I came up with this - TMO50 or "The Middle One". It's between sizes (hence the 50 in the name) and gives the advantage to have all alphas at all times but
moves other keys like the number row to a layer so it's easier to reach. Basically it's a compact 60% that's "squished" without any weird layout compromises like some 40% boards and still allowing
maximum keycap compatibility with most "base" keysets out there.

Default keymapping

Keycap sizing

Details about GB options, materials and other features

GB dates: August
Pricing: TBA (will do a break-down with individual parts)
Quantity: 50+ boards
Proxies: TBA for US. Europe is on me.

Group buy will include:
  • Case (top, bottom plate)
  • TMK/QMK compatible programmable PCB with RGB underglow and indicator/switch through-hole LED support
  • Stickers
Material options for each part:
  • Top part (aluminium 6063)
  • Bottom part (aluminium 6063, polycarbonate)
  • Plate (aluminium 6063, polycarbonate, brass)
It will be possible to order more than one of each part (for example - alu top, alu & poly bottom, brass & poly plate) but it'll be limited to 2 of each part probably, as to not over-complicate.
Prototype boards with all of these material and finish options are being made and I will update OP as soon as I get photos with the finished cases/plates.
And YES - you will be able to order each part in a different colour.

Colour options for case and plate:
COLOUR SAMPLES

Colours are offered for aluminium parts ONLY. And no - there's no option of a white board unfortunately, that cannot be done with anodization.
Added images are just Pantone C codes and real life samples are still being made. Please do keep in mind that these colours and their anodized versions can be slightly different.

Physical features/highlights:
  • 6 degree angle
  • Just 16.3mm front face
  • Sturdy top-mounted plate
  • Tiny bezels - 3mm on the sides, 6mm top and bottom
  • MX & Alps compatibility
  • 297.5mm × 89.15mm × 25.21mm (Back) / 16.3mm (Front)  (Width × Depth × Height)

Credits:
  • Renders by: PyroL & Dixie
  • Advice about PCB design: Wilba, amtra5, #kbdesign
  • Advice about case design: xondat

Other info about keymapping and layout options
More
Layout

Layout is designed so that there's as little compromise for right profiles as possible and that it can be fitted out with most base kits nowadays.
As I'm a touch typist and I think most of us are then right profiles win over correct letters on keycaps any day of the week and even then lettering is correct on all alphas and half of the mods.

It supports different layouts as 2 different bottom rows and 2 combinations for the middle row.

Bottom row options:
  • Split bottom row for max efficiency
  • A 6.25u spacebar for all those spacebar lovers out there!

Middle row can go two ways:
  • Regular (0.25u / 0.5u) stagger but for Ctrl/Enter you'd need to get 40% kit for right profiles (base kit would be 1.75u R3 CapsLock + 1.25u R4 Modifier).
  • Small (0.25u / 0.25u) stagger but Ctrl/Enter can be R2 Tab & \| keys so there's a slight profile difference but layout is completely base kit compatible.
Keymapping

It's the thing I'm most excited for!
As you can see the default keymapping is quite sane with not a lot of stuff divided or placed all over the place.
  • Holding down Space you'd get into a layer for your numbers and symbols that's sitting real close - home row and top row
  • Holding down FN is for all of your F keys
  • Holding down Enter gets you all of the arrows, Home/End and PgUp/PgDn
  • Left keys are macros for anything you'd like them to be + ARTISAN SHOWCASE
When I say "default" is because what's a custom board without programmability, right? It'll be TMK/QMK compatible of course!
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 07:03:01 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [IC] TMO-50 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 06:11:13 »
good stuff man!

Offline vegs

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 06:23:35 »
Very interesting layout. I'm looking forward to seeing a protoype :thumb:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline kamilakas

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 06:52:43 »
Maybe, would buy the pcb and plate, also will be good to share with plate schematic to 3d print it like a case. I have printer, so this is the cheapest way.

Offline mago

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 06:59:15 »
Really liking this layout

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 07:27:06 »
Maybe, would buy the pcb and plate, also will be good to share with plate schematic to 3d print it like a case. I have printer, so this is the cheapest way.

If there's enough interest in PCB only purchases than I'd make that option possible too. Thanks for the input. :)

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 10:29:16 »
I really like that left column!

I really wanted a Pearl, but this might be a close 2nd!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 22:19:50 »
Might be interested in this depending on price. Love the keys on the left!

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 23:06:55 »
Dude I freaking love this! I’ve been looking for a way to optimize gaming on a 40% and I feel like this is perfect. Depending on price and timeframe I’m in. Excited for updates on this board!
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:45:53 »
Might be interested in this depending on price. Love the keys on the left!
Yes, price is still unknown as I'm just getting started with prototypes and those are made locally. Once I get all a working prototype and finalize case design I'll start checking around for quotes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:47:47 »
Dude I freaking love this! I’ve been looking for a way to optimize gaming on a 40% and I feel like this is perfect. Depending on price and timeframe I’m in. Excited for updates on this board!
Happy to hear your excitement! Really brings a joy to hear people interested. Will update here as  soon as I do anything post worthy!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 02:58:12 »
Small update
  • Added possibility to switch RShift and \| keys
  • Working on another iteration of the case

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:13:04 by funderburker »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 08:29:55 »
I like this a lot.  Currently on a banana split for work and there are a bunch of keys I’m not using. This layout looks well thought out, I might not even need to remapp anything!

Offline Draic

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 12:03:56 »
will it be USB-C or mini USB? I hope USB-C :x

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:07:21 »
I like this a lot.  Currently on a banana split for work and there are a bunch of keys I’m not using. This layout looks well thought out, I might not even need to remapp anything!

Thanks for the compliment! :) This layout is what I feel is "the one" for myself, have been sitting on this for a long time.

I really like the idea behind Banana Split but I couldn't figure out how would I use a split spacebar on a 60%, it would just make 60% too big. :D

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:10:29 »
will it be USB-C or mini USB? I hope USB-C :x

Well, USB-C would be futureproof so I'll definitely look into it but I don't own a single device with USB-C myself. So for prototype I'm using Mini USB.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:14:57 »
Case update
Images of the new case design. I really like this one!
Need to work on the plate a bit though

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 06:04:48 by funderburker »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:18:49 »
Case update

Show Image

Show Image

It's a bit flat. Are there plans to add optional feet to give it an angle?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:21:36 »
Case update

Show Image

Show Image

It's a bit flat. Are there plans to add optional feet to give it an angle?
Yes, it's flat for now. It'll definitely be with add-on feet. Angled case is harder to manufacture so for now (prototype phase) I'm designing so I can afford the prototypes.

When I'll be happy with the design and pcb will be done, definitely will check on angled design expenses.

Offline Draic

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:00:57 »
personally I prefer flat cases

Offline finn27m

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:37:17 »
So want this what you planning the price to be so I can start saving https://geekhack.org/Smileys/solosmileys/wink.gif
Thanks awesome layout

Offline finn27m

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:15:15 »
Personally I like Hi Pro cases

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:24:04 »
So want this what you planning the price to be so I can start saving https://geekhack.org/Smileys/solosmileys/wink.gif
Thanks awesome layout
Thanks! I'm still just prototyping so the case design isn't final but I'm all about hi pro cases. I haven't checked quotes yet (besides pcb prototypes). I would like to keep the whole project between $150-200.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:35:37 »
Thanks awesome layout
Thanks! I'm still just prototyping so the case design isn't final but I'm all about hi pro cases. I haven't checked quotes yet (besides pcb prototypes). I would like to keep the whole project between $150-200.

Sweet jesus you're aiming right at the impulse buy price point. Gotta hope it takes a few months to drop  ;D

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:14:25 »
As this is a project "on the side" as in I do have a lot of stuff in my personal life I don't want to rush this but I try to do stuff regularly. Hopefully the first prototype is completed sometime in the beginning of April.

If you're interested please fill out the form as I plan to have one/two prototypes raffled when I make first working boards.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:46:14 »
Awesome work man great layout, enervative and ergonomic just what I want!!!!! I better start saving like the price to 150-200 just below a mini van and a little above a plank Fantastic Job!
out of curiosity why not add Bluetooth?
MC Qwerty

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:55:58 »
Awesome work man great layout, enervative and ergonomic just what I want!!!!! I better start saving like the price to 150-200 just below a mini van and a little above a plank Fantastic Job!
out of curiosity why not add Bluetooth?

The price point is where I'd like to see this but I have still yet to ask around for quotes.

About Bluetooth - firstly I'd like to keep this projects goal relatively simple as it's my first effort doing something like this. Complexity of a project asks for extra time, attention and knowledge and it adds to the end price. Secondly - planned case material is aluminium so if Bluetooth is added I'd have to figure out a way how to get a good connection through metal.

Offline Draic

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 05:51:06 »
Hmm I was wondering if it would look better without the fourth macro key on the left side. I think it could look better with the extended blocker, instead of the blocker and then a macro key. Then again I personally would scrap the whole side row entirely, if I could, so maybe that is just me.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 05:52:41 »
this looks soo cute!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:07:11 »
this looks soo cute!

Thanks Vulcan! BTW, Fusion is a damn fine case :)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:48:23 »
UPDATE

Ok so quite a few responses are in. Around 80% of respondents have answered "Yes" or "Maybe" so that means there IS interest! That's great news!

I got some feedback about the board and it's layout I'd like to address:
  • The majority wants HiPro case - this is my thoughts too so this is what I'll continue to work on. Need to figure some stuff out but I'm happy with the design I've posted in previous update
  • There's big interest in standard Alu/SS plates and well 1.5mm Poly and Brass plates. I'll keep this in mind but can't guarantee that all options will be available from the start. This depends on the activity in GB phase.
  • Some respondents mention that a "full" bottom row would be nice or that they'd like more Fn keys for a regular spacebar configuration. It can be done but it means there's a need for two cases - one with blockers and one without
  • About USB-C and Bluetooth support - as nice as it would be unfortunately I don't want to make the PCB too complicated for myself. Right now I'm not really riding the USB-C train myself (no of my own devices have a port for this, yet) so the prototypes will be using Mini USB and probably final version too. If there's enough interest and demand I'll definitely do a round 2 for the PCB and that could support Bluetooth as well proper USB-C.
  • Also I'd like to talk about hot-swappability - given that it's a "tiny" board and thus needs to support various layouts I'm looking into socket support. Unfortunately Kailh sockets, I think, can support one layout at a time as they're already on the PCB and that means the layout is "fixed" from the get-go.

I'd like to add to all the possible testers (probably one or two) that a prototype board will likely to come with either a 3D printed case or a "floating keys" case. Testers would be required to test out the layouts, key compatibility and other things.

So about the layout configurations and possible changes:

How do you like this version? This is a mock-up and there's no work done yet to the PCB to support a "full" bottom row. Just wanted to mention that so you're aware that no PCB are ordered yet. :(

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:52:23 by funderburker »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 11:15:34 »
Right so this is a mildly dumb question but are the keys on the right hand side going to be supported on the PCB or are you thinking of changing the layout of the keyboard slightly?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 11:18:39 »
Right so this is a mildly dumb question but are the keys on the right hand side going to be supported on the PCB or are you thinking of changing the layout of the keyboard slightly?

Which keys on the right hand side do you mean? Keys that are on the right and that full bottom row is meant as a representation of various configurations. It's been a tough day so I just didn't understand the question, sorry. :D

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 12:58:33 »

Which keys on the right hand side do you mean? Keys that are on the right and that full bottom row is meant as a representation of various configurations. It's been a tough day so I just didn't understand the question, sorry. :D

It's not that. The alternative layout placements look like they're going to push the alphas around or aren't sized quite right . Like the control-enter row would have the rest of the keys pushed to the right slightly while the shift row looks like it's going to have a blank space somewhere.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:57:50 »

It's not that. The alternative layout placements look like they're going to push the alphas around or aren't sized quite right . Like the control-enter row would have the rest of the keys pushed to the right slightly while the shift row looks like it's going to have a blank space somewhere.
Oh. Regarding the middle row, yes. Using 1.5u Ctrl & Enter means that the whole row is staggered differently. Regarding right Shift and Fn - it's either 1u+1.25u keys ( |\ and Shift) or it's 1.25u+1u keys but nothing else changes in the row.

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:59:48 by funderburker »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 16:28:30 »
I'm not opposed to the full bottom row but I definitely have no use for it.

I'm not in favor of it if it infringes on your original design or causes extra costs.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:56:17 »

I'm not in favor of it if it infringes on your original design or causes extra costs.
I personally too would only use the blocker version of this board but adding footprints on the pcb aren't that hard (I've made the decision to redo PCB once again for better routing) and case design will stay the same for either versions (angled front, flat case with screw-in feet)

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 13:01:56 »

Oh. Regarding the middle row, yes. Using 1.5u Ctrl & Enter means that the whole row is staggered differently. Regarding right Shift and Fn - it's either 1u+1.25u keys ( |\ and Shift) or it's 1.25u+1u keys but nothing else changes in the row.

Are you doing to do two different plates for the middle row or one universal plate with the middle row "hollowed out"?

I personally too would only use the blocker version of this board but adding footprints on the pcb aren't that hard (I've made the decision to redo PCB once again for better routing) and case design will stay the same for either versions (angled front, flat case with screw-in feet)

I don't see the reason to have a complete bottom row with the addition of the macro keys to the left. Even without them the HHKB style layout has keys for all of the bottom row functions to be mapped once.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 13:52:05 »
Are you doing to do two different plates for the middle row or one universal plate with the middle row "hollowed out"?

Well, for now I've designed one universal plate but I have yet to try out it IRL once the pcbs come in. It looks weird but if a uni plate would be rigid there wouldn't be a need for two different plates.

I don't see the reason to have a complete bottom row with the addition of the macro keys to the left. Even without them the HHKB style layout has keys for all of the bottom row functions to be mapped once.

Me neither but given received form responses I wanted to discuss the possibility about a complete bottom row so people doesn't feel left out from anything. It's not set in stone but I wanted to offer my look of a WHAT IF version and get some feedback. I'm still on the fence about this support but it's good to be transparent with y'all.
For one thing current PCB design supports everything that's mentioned in OP as well as the right Shift/Fn key switch-a-roo except complete bottom row and adding "maximum" support means I would need to figure out where to place PCB components (right now they're positioned in the left blocker area). It would definitely be a tedious process.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 06:40:48 »
RENDERS:WIP by PyroL
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 06:55:40 by funderburker »

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 07:27:24 »
Renders look awesome, man! Really digging this.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 09:47:24 »
Renders look awesome, man! Really digging this.

Thanks. I'm digging it too. Still have to figure out some case design issues but it's coming along nicely. BTW, final renders are up in the OP.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:29:32 »
Would it be out of place to say that I am sexually attracted to those renders?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:39:30 »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

No because I'm also turned on by those renders! :p Gotta say I'm more excited for this board becoming a reality than I thought I'd be. Checking those renders everytime I check my phone. :D

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:40:22 »

Username checks out

And I am in to say that this is dope, I know this was already menitoned but I would like to +1 some angle on the case, even if it adds some cost.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:41:45 »
I only just noticed the indicator LEDs :))

So nice!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:12:03 »
I only just noticed the indicator LEDs :))

So nice!

Thank you! Coming from you, it really means a lot! :)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:13:24 »

Username checks out

And I am in to say that this is dope, I know this was already menitoned but I would like to +1 some angle on the case, even if it adds some cost.

As soon as I find a shop that could make these I'll ask quotes for both a flat version and angled version. Will definitely let you all know once I get some answers. :)

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 00:10:24 »
Looking forward to seeing this project come to life! Filled out the IC <3

Offline sleepy

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:41:21 »
This board is too cute! I Filled out the IC - I'd love to test a prototype! Playin with firmware is totally my thing.