Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 578588 times)

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL With b.Mira PCB
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:52:50 »
I have a quick question about the design of the case. Forgive my scrub-ness as I am quite new at this  :p
But will there me balance issues with the case where if you were to tap semi-heavily on the F-row the case might "tip".... Am I just seing things or being a newb? Please enlighten me with your knowledge Senpais
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:08:29 »
You'd have to put a fair amount of force behind it, I do believe. The case is all metal, and there's a weight in the bottom. It is theoretically possible, but I wouldn't expect it to be an issue during normal typing.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline unoab

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:13:05 »
I have a quick question about the design of the case. Forgive my scrub-ness as I am quite new at this  :p
But will there me balance issues with the case where if you were to tap semi-heavily on the F-row the case might "tip".... Am I just seing things or being a newb? Please enlighten me with your knowledge Senpais

Looking at the renders and assuming that the center of mass for the bottom half of the case that is directly over the base will probably be somewhere around the middle of the base closer to the top due to the insert.  Then just taking a wild shot in the dark, that the distance of the F-keys to the point it will rotate on looks like it could be about 2x the distance from that point to the center of mass for the bottom of the case, you would have to push with probably 2x the weight of that bottom half to lift it, so probably a handful of pounds.  So unless you have a keyboard full of super blacks and are pressing multiple function keys at once, you should be fine.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 19:56:00 »
While the design is overhung I dont expect there to be any issues since the weight will be concentrated in the front. That said, once I get the prototype I will see for sure  :thumb:

Offline feizor

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 20:32:06 »

Looking at the renders and assuming that the center of mass for the bottom half of the case that is directly over the base will probably be somewhere around the middle of the base closer to the top due to the insert.  Then just taking a wild shot in the dark, that the distance of the F-keys to the point it will rotate on looks like it could be about 2x the distance from that point to the center of mass for the bottom of the case, you would have to push with probably 2x the weight of that bottom half to lift it, so probably a handful of pounds.  So unless you have a keyboard full of super blacks and are pressing multiple function keys at once, you should be fine.

Even if you have Gateron Yellows on your F-row, I doubt any key presses will have enough force to cause the keyboard to tip. This board will weight at least 2.5-3kg by the looks of it.

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 01:43:47 »
While the design is overhung I dont expect there to be any issues since the weight will be concentrated in the front. That said, once I get the prototype I will see for sure  :thumb:

That's good to hear! Looking forward to the prototype  :thumb:

Offline tribade

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 13:57:08 »
Can't wait to follow this board too!  Looks fantastic.  Hopefully I'll be able to get in on one.  This is going to be an expensive keyboarding summer...
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 15:58:40 »
Wow, this is an amazing looking board... I might need to rethink what buys I'm going to be joining in the near future... Or I'm going to have to rob a bank or two.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 16:00:17 »
Wow, this is an amazing looking board... I might need to rethink what buys I'm going to be joining in the near future... Or I'm going to have to rob a bank or two.

Get a 2nd job like pizza delivery or something. Put all your tips towards this board. You can make it happen.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 16:34:22 »
I have updated the plate and have added blockers. I will render some new photos this evening!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 16:46:02 »
I have updated the plate and have added blockers. I will render some new photos this evening!

:)  I am excited

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 16:58:49 »
Down for number 69 in lime green ;) (btw, I'll gladly pay for a custom anno color if it comes down to it)

Just for fun:

*note to self: don't render with a black background, the sides become grainy.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:04:01 »
Down for number 69 in lime green ;) (btw, I'll gladly pay for a custom anno color if it comes down to it)

Just for fun:
Show Image

* slow clap*

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:13:07 »

Hai there

More

?
I love Elzy

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:19:55 »
Show Image

Hai there

More
Show Image

Show Image

?

Sifo, I'm rendering you a pink one in 4k. Just wait for it. :)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:22:24 »
Show Image

Hai there

More
Show Image

Show Image

?

:'( love the last one, please make it

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:31:31 »
The more I look at this thread.... the more I realize how much I need this!

Is there an estimated GB start date?
null

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:32:22 »
Show Image

Hai there

More
Show Image

Show Image

?

Says you with the 456 :(
I love Elzy

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:51:07 »

Get a 2nd job like pizza delivery or something. Put all your tips towards this board. You can make it happen.

Ahaha, I already work a full-time job as IT Support. So I think I might just have to sell some stuff.  :p

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:08:56 »

Ahaha, I already work a full-time job as IT Support. So I think I might just have to sell some stuff. 
The second job has the added benefit that you'll have no spare time to spend the extra money.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:22:24 »
Show Image

Hai there

More
Show Image

Show Image

?

Says you with the 456 :(

:p I will never get enough pink keyboard

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:30:18 »

Seconded.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:35:12 »
Hey Doc, how will this GB run? Do you have your own website to handle orders & checkouts or will you be using a 3rd party?

My boards:
More

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:36:50 »
Hey Doc, how will this GB run? Do you have your own website to handle orders & checkouts or will you be using a 3rd party?

Checkout will most likely go through my site (in order to secure # positions). I'll be setting up the options once we get quotes in. The number you get will not be disclosed until it arrives at your doorstep.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:47:45 »

Checkout will most likely go through my site (in order to secure # positions). I'll be setting up the options once we get quotes in. The number you get will not be disclosed until it arrives at your doorstep.
Since it's a limited run with an early bird incentive, do you anticipate any capacity issues (DDoS)?

My boards:
More

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 18:52:55 »

Since it's a limited run with an early bird incentive, do you anticipate any capacity issues (DDoS)?

Unless you guys intentionally ddos my service provider, I don't see any issues arising. I've already set up my site to handle high loads (which handled the Gateron spike of orders with no problems).

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:16:25 »

Seconded.

Another 4k Render @ 100 passes

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:17:35 »

Seconded.

Show Image

Too magenta, I dont like it :'(

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:34:13 »

Unless you guys intentionally ddos my service provider, I don't see any issues arising. I've already set up my site to handle high loads (which handled the Gateron spike of orders with no problems).

Good to know. Out of curiosity I took a peek and saw you're using Shopify. Definitely not worried about capacity issues with them, which makes me happy because I won't want to miss this buy.

By my count this IC is already at about 70 interested persons. I think these things are going to move fast!!

My boards:
More

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:58:59 »
I love Elzy

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:38:57 »
I'm currently transitioning to 60% boards but I really want to see this board made.  I think the Mira will put the KMAC and the 356 to shame.  The right key set on this board is going to take it to the next level.  Something with a full SA profile would look good, but really, this board needs a key set designed specifically for it.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:06:46 »
I'm currently transitioning to 60% boards but I really want to see this board made.  I think the Mira will put the KMAC and the 356 to shame.  The right key set on this board is going to take it to the next level.  Something with a full SA profile would look good, but really, this board needs a key set designed specifically for it.

Design it! :D

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:32:18 »

What about a mix of Red, White, and Blue, like the NASA Logo? Maybe red mods, blue alphas, white text, or blue mods, red alphas, white text, or maybe white mods and alphas, with a combination or blue and red for the alphas and mods text

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:52:56 »
Gotta make at least one #gold render too. :P

4k, 100+ passes as well.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:02:10 »

Just for fun:
Show Image

I need this for reasons
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:06:01 »

What about a mix of Red, White, and Blue, like the NASA Logo? Maybe red mods, blue alphas, white text, or blue mods, red alphas, white text, or maybe white mods and alphas, with a combination or blue and red for the alphas and mods text

I've actually been working on a space-inspired SA set using red white & blue, but with more of a dirty, off-white "re-entry" feel to it. I've adapted it for TKL just now after reading this. I call it Astrobot.

My boards:
More

Offline Data

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:10:34 »

4k, 100+ passes as well.
Show Image

If gold anodized was an option I might have to buy 2. :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:11:11 »
#legitballin approved
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:11:31 »
I'm gonna have to buy like 4 of these :\

EDIT: oops i'm tired i was supposed to press edit

sorry friends
I love Elzy

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:19:05 »
Show Image

Hai there

More
Show Image

Show Image

?

Yeahhh, I'm gonna need one of these.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:38:14 »
... this board needs a key set designed specifically for it.

DEEP SPACE seems appropriate.

4k, 100+ passes as well.
Show Image

Very nice! However, I still want the blue from the OP with a plate that matches ... will that be an option?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:45:27 by abjr »
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 03:21:53 »

4k, 100+ passes as well.
Show Image

I need this
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 03:26:54 »

4k, 100+ passes as well.
Show Image

Wow.... I never would've thought that gold would look so amazing on a keyboard...

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 05:07:03 »
Might have to reconsider my color choice...  :-*

Show Image

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:51:25 »
I need to be able to afford this somehow.. who wants to meet me on the corner? :o

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:22:29 »
If you wondered how much work went into this...

More

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:28:12 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:23:50 »
Already decided that I will be putting a GMK Hyperfuse set on this.  :cool:
null

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:42:51 »
Well I will be deffiebtly grabbing one. Even if I need to sell some of my collection to do so.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:46:09 »

I used the custom key set designer on WASD to create this and added a mockup of one of Booper's astronaut key caps.

95581-0

With the site's limited color options, I tried to make a colorway inspired by the lunar surface.  I think it would look good on the gray keyboard in the OP and on the pink render created by Zeal.  But I think the Mira needs a more polished design for its key set. 

I tried making something to reflect the theme of the binary star but it looks awful.
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/37dd711f75e80c0e0255a4195b1c5c1c

Image of Mira
95583-1

It's not practical, but I think a set of backlit black keys without alphanumeric legends but with legends resembling the night sky would look awesome.  The assembled alpha and mod keys would look something like this.

95585-2

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:52:56 »
Mmm I think white alphas with matte gold modifiers would look cool :)