Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183487 times)

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:20:13 »
Nothing to add other than that I love this and it will absolutely sap my wallet.

Offline KHAANNN

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:21:27 »
Will there be a plate too, or just a pcb?

Atm we're only looking at making the pcb with a supported keycap set. It would be really hard to have so many supported plates.

For PCB-mounted cherry stabs and switches, you can just overlay all of the plates and intersect, then remove small segments, it could work - one plate might support all

Getting plates manufactured is also pretty cheap and practical
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 11:23:33 »
I don't think my question was ever answered so I'll be short about it here.

The LEDs, be sure they are mounted at the top of the switches so they'll shine through keycaps with backlight support.

Thanks for the suggestion :D, we'll look into it. I can't really bring you updates on the PCB for a week or two, until we get some things sorted. But this week I'll be working on bringing you guys updated versions of the keycap set with Jme.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 12:05:23 »
interesting concept!  universal split 60% boards sound like something we all need one of!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 06:46:59 »
I love this layout. 

Have you considered Alps support for the PCB?

Offline MBD

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:10:44 »
I would purchase this.

To my thinking, a giant space bar is the worst feature of every standard keyboard.  I almost always hit the space bar with my right hand, between the n and m keys.

Offline Applet

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:42:31 »
I would purchase this.

To my thinking, a giant space bar is the worst feature of every standard keyboard.  I almost always hit the space bar with my right hand, between the n and m keys.
Oh, that would be fantastic :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 11:00:24 »
I love this layout. 

We will keep it to cherry for this round.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:33:07 »
I love this layout. 

We will keep it to cherry for this round.

Ok, cools.

Hope it's awesome.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 13:38:12 »
Are most people ok with using different profile keys for the space bars (2.25 R3 enter & 2.75 R4 shift)? I'm not as 'OCD' as a lot of folks on here and just the thought of that drives me crazy! I assume it's done to show that you can still equip the board with a single keyset to keep color co-ordination? The layouts with dual 2.75u spacebars are going to be a real paint to setup in that regard, especially when you could potentially need 3 keys of that size if you use a full right shift.

I personally was converted to the split life by the CP-SQ bottom row and really enjoy the 1.25u in between the keys. By using blanks and then a mod pack (CYM pbt mods) I can get a nice looking board.

I guess if it was on a 60%, these would be the closest:

and

I'm not asking you to add them  :)  Just my 2 cents on what I like. Great to see some more split spacebar options coming out. I'll follow the thread with some interest then it'll depend on how much 'keyboard funds' I have when you launch something. Who knows, maybe I'll like some of your layouts even more than my current one :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 16:00:19 »
So is there a general consensus for me to replace the original spacebar layout with the new one?

If you haven't seen the previous post.

Original Layout:

New Version:

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 18:40:09 »
I like the new one far more. :D

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 10:17:29 »
Why not just have 2 2.25 spacebars? Or a 3.25 and a 3 like here?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 10:39:55 »
Why not just have 2 2.25 spacebars? Or a 3.25 and a 3 like here?
Show Image

Good luck finding caps.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline OliverDK

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 13:34:40 »
My .02, as someone who used various arrowed 60%'s, here's my layout, after thinking-on and using many similar layouts:

(Attachment Link)

Crammed arrows in 60% layouts are like cancer, they are very prone to mis-clicks, so I ended up separating them like this, instead of filling the empty spaces, I just let them be empty = bliss

Dang, that seems like a thing I shouldn't ignore. I'm so hyped to get a 60 with arrows, though. Do you need that 0.25u on the bottom row to avoid the mis-clicks? I guess I'd like something like this, then, but I'm afraid that 1.25u rShift wont be possible..

edit: And I guess I can't have two 1u modifiers left of the space bar either. Hmm...

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 October 2016, 13:40:06 by OliverDK »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:58:06 »
My .02, as someone who used various arrowed 60%'s, here's my layout, after thinking-on and using many similar layouts:

(Attachment Link)

Crammed arrows in 60% layouts are like cancer, they are very prone to mis-clicks, so I ended up separating them like this, instead of filling the empty spaces, I just let them be empty = bliss

Dang, that seems like a thing I shouldn't ignore. I'm so hyped to get a 60 with arrows, though. Do you need that 0.25u on the bottom row to avoid the mis-clicks? I guess I'd like something like this, then, but I'm afraid that 1.25u rShift wont be possible..

edit: And I guess I can't have two 1u modifiers left of the space bar either. Hmm...

Show Image

Here is something I came up with using the existing PCB layouts. This should provide the desired effect of having a gap for your arrow keys.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 21:08:15 »
New update time! We have a conformation on which layouts we will support. We will support all the existing ones under "Confirmed" and take away the 6u and 7u. Here is a screenshot of the PCB CAD file that Evan has been working on.

The original post will be updated with this info.

Thanks for all the support guys it means a lot.  :D

We have some updates pertaining to the keycap set so keep your eyes peeled for that!  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 23:02:42 »
Thank you for the update, it is a shame it does not support but 6.25u space bar; but, of course, it focuses on the split bar options, good luck.

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 11:37:00 »
Good news then, cause I'm looking forward to this PCB, the sooner you can let us know the release date the better.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:41:44 »
Back to back updates. I'm glad to report that we have no conflicts with In Switch LEDs :thumb:. They will be top mounted for better backlighting. Kudos to Evan for all the work he has put in :D.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

CAD File of PCB with LED support.

Offline OliverDK

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 07:57:11 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Here is something I came up with using the existing PCB layouts. This should provide the desired effect of having a gap for your arrow keys.

Show Image

Thanks for the feedback. Is this also possible? -Space bar is 6.25u. Not sure how I feel about the split space bar yet, and I'm still a little confused about the options.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2016, 07:58:50 by OliverDK »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 08:37:31 »
At some point, I became obsessed by having an actual arrow cluster in a sixty layout, I found that giving up the right shift is an inferior solution as it makes touch typing pretty awkward, unless you do not touch type, in such case, layout does not matter, at all. Hunt and peck typing gives you a great deal of flexibility, layout wise.

I found the space bar alternative to be a superior solution to forcing an arrow cluster within the limits of a sixty keyboard, besides, it allows the use of some elegant layouts, like the HHKB style.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 11:57:32 »
At some point, I became obsessed by having an actual arrow cluster in a sixty layout, I found that giving up the right shift is an inferior solution as it makes touch typing pretty awkward, unless you do not touch type, in such case, layout does not matter, at all. Hunt and peck typing gives you a great deal of flexibility, layout wise.

I found the space bar alternative to be a superior solution to forcing an arrow cluster within the limits of a sixty keyboard, besides, it allows the use of some elegant layouts, like the HHKB style.

A similar layout can be achieved with this PCB. Although the main focus is a split-spacebar PCB. Here's an image of what is achievable similar to your layout.

KLE Raw Data:

["¬\n`","!\n1","\"\n2","£\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{x:0.25,w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},"Enter"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","@\n'","~\n#"],
[{w:1.25},"Shift","?\n/","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.",{c:"#ee4942",w:1.75},"?\n/",{c:"#a698c5"},"Up",{c:"#ee4942"},"Delete"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Fn",{x:0.75,c:"#a698c5"},"Left","Down","Right"]

Image:

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2016, 12:07:16 by Arhipio »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 12:11:29 »
Small update since this wasn't stated anywhere, we'll be using an atmega32u4 with tmk or qmk. All components are presoldered, only thing you need to do is add LEDs and switches.

Offline EvoPlatypus

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 12:40:52 »
Count me in

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline braidn

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 18:32:16 »
Where can we source 2.75 stab bars? Super excited about this, especially with the 1.25 centerkey splitting the bigger 2.75 bars

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 18:41:59 »
Where can we source 2.75 stab bars? Super excited about this, especially with the 1.25 centerkey splitting the bigger 2.75 bars

It takes any standard 2u stab wire; however, the PCB does not show any hole for stabs; thus, it may requires a plate with either Cherry plate mounted or Costar slots.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 13:15:21 »

It takes any standard 2u stab wire; however, the PCB does not show any hole for stabs; thus, it may requires a plate with either Cherry plate mounted or Costar slots.

I'm pretty sure the PCB images are just the circuit mockups. Evan's Van44 has stabs in all the right palces, I expect them to be on here as well  :thumb:

I'm actually starting to thinking about picking up a PCB and doing a full PCB mount with linears.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 14:30:33 »

I'm pretty sure the PCB images are just the circuit mockups. Evan's Van44 has stabs in all the right palces, I expect them to be on here as well  :thumb:

I'm actually starting to thinking about picking up a PCB and doing a full PCB mount with linears.

The stabs will be plate mounted. It is easier to have them there rather than on the PCB, allows for more layouts. :D

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 14:44:14 »

The stabs will be plate mounted. It is easier to have them there rather than on the PCB, allows for more layouts. :D

Oh! Well I was totally wrong then  :)

I think it's a bad move, personally. It means people who want to use your PCB will have to get their own plate cut or have no stabs  :-\  I definitely can't do that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 15:54:12 »

Oh! Well I was totally wrong then  :)

I think it's a bad move, personally. It means people who want to use your PCB will have to get their own plate cut or have no stabs  :-\  I definitely can't do that.

I do not like the plate-only-stabs route for the PCB design; yet, another "feature" that does not fit the preference of some.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 07:46:31 »
Layout looks good!
But please pcb mount stabs.
Plate mounted suck
Winter is coming.

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 03:41:11 »
Oh, snap. I'd totes be down for this.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:59:44 »
Is adding more split space bar options possible?
(like the TS65 is doing e.g/clueboard like)
Winter is coming.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:07:36 »
Is adding more split space bar options possible?
(like the TS65 is doing e.g/clueboard like)

I think we already have a wide range of options, you gotta realize we are limited to a 60% form factor. Less space to work with. Also we are looking at the possibility of providing you guys plates, with more layouts this will be a much harder task.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:26:05 »
IF i see it correctly you support 5pin switches (pcb mounted).

So it would be great if you could add as many positions as possible:
-it makes it easier for pcb-only builds (variety is always awesome)

-if you are designing plates you dont need to cover any switch positions - just the most usual ones

-in the end it makes the pcb more future-proof and can attract more people

Winter is coming.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:17:23 »
I really like it.

Can't you just let the first layout design (Split-spacebar inverted T arrow key cluster idea (Confirmed)) have the 2 x 1u keys at the backspace like the HHKB layout.

Or you can give back the Fn key on the HHKB layout, next to the R_Shift key.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:35:41 »
I really like it.

Can't you just let the first layout design (Split-spacebar inverted T arrow key cluster idea (Confirmed)) have the 2 x 1u keys at the backspace like the HHKB layout.

The idea is, within all three of the layouts (like the split-space with inverted T arrow key cluster) you can mix and match with iso/ansi and hhkb. You can have the 1st layout with an iso short shift and enter and have an hhkb style top row.

Example:

I hope that answers your question :D.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:57:29 »
I really like it.

The idea is, within all three of the layouts (like the split-space with inverted T arrow key cluster) you can mix and match with iso/ansi and hhkb. You can have the 1st layout with an iso short shift and enter and have an hhkb style top row.

Example:

Show Image

Such a genius!
It's better to apply this idea to all sales in PCB and key caps.

Will the caps be PBT or ABS?
Will it be making for ALPS switches to?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 16:12:17 »
I really like it.

Example:

Show Image

Such a genius!
It's better to apply this idea to all sales in PCB and key caps.

Will the caps be PBT or ABS?
Will it be making for ALPS switches to?

The caps will be ABS :D.
The PCB will only support cherry, with the amount of layouts we have it would be too much. Plus the demand isn't there.

Thanks for the support man :D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:08:07 »
New update time! Changes to the keycap set include: a lighter brown, "Banana Split" written on the split-spacebar and yellow highlight keys for the escape and enter keys. Tell me what you guys think of it  :thumb:

We have more updates coming soon concerning plates included in the group buy!

Edit: Bonus novelty idea.

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:10:36 by Arhipio »

Offline Phenix

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:34:28 »
Is the cap 'Only ANSI' or will there be child kits for NORDE/...
colors looking good
Winter is coming.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 21:41:26 »
colors looking good

We are hoping to include child kits that will cover most of the layouts possible with this board. ISO and nordic will probably be included in that.

Offline apaskal

• Pro et Contra gadget reviews
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 01:35:30 »
Hi!
I like the idea of split spacebar.
It's nice you start the project!

And what about option of Minila layout for bottom row?
There is pbt caps for this layout on ali already https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-PBT-blank-mechanical-keyboard-filco-minila-air-thick-PBT-white-side-print-keycap-cherry-mx/32714664659.html

My interest is PCB for moded  hhkb case from ali
Alu https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hhkb-mechanical-keyboard-kit-anode-aluminum-cnc-custom-cherry-shaft-with-light/32719978752.html
or
Fiber https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Free-shipping-HHKB-Case-Plate-Switches-Led-Stabilizers-Keycaps-DIY-Kit-For-HHKB-60/32684284153.html

My plan is to add a couple of holes in top plate and use split spacebar PCB like banana split :)

Thanks!
My personal blog —  Pro et Contra gadget reviews!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 09:01:33 »
Hi!

There is pbt caps for this layout on ali already https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-PBT-blank-mechanical-keyboard-filco-minila-air-thick-PBT-white-side-print-keycap-cherry-mx/32714664659.html

Alu https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hhkb-mechanical-keyboard-kit-anode-aluminum-cnc-custom-cherry-shaft-with-light/32719978752.html
or
Fiber https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Free-shipping-HHKB-Case-Plate-Switches-Led-Stabilizers-Keycaps-DIY-Kit-For-HHKB-60/32684284153.html

My plan is to add a couple of holes in top plate and use split spacebar PCB like banana split :)

Thanks!

It is very interesting to see that there is a true HHKB clone case available.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 11:55:09 »
Hi!

or

Thanks!

All layouts are locked. We won't be adding or removing any existing layouts. We are working on bringing you guys plates, so you may not have to diy your own ;).

Offline Phenix

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 12:42:54 »
Well, I wanted to NOT USE a plate..
Winter is coming.

Offline tomboy

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 12:46:18 »
Hi!

or

Thanks!

All layouts are locked. We won't be adding or removing any existing layouts. We are working on bringing you guys plates, so you may not have to diy your own ;).

If there will be a plate, this has a great potential to be my first build! :)

Offline waqar

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 13:10:09 »
colors looking good

Looks really nice, could you please add icon modifiers as well. Apple modifier specifically Command?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 16:04:23 »
colors looking good

Looks really nice, could you please add icon modifiers as well. Apple modifier specifically Command?

We'll for sure add more child kits, this is just to get a general opinion on the color scheme :D.