Author Topic: Help me decide on my next setup!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Help me decide on my next setup!
« on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 17:50:03 »
Hey hi yo. I'm going to start saving for a new computer soon. I have relatively few expenses, and this is the first time in my life that I can afford to save for a top of the line setup... but that obviously doesn't mean I shouldn't do some comparison shopping.

This is limited to Apple hardware, period. That means no Hackintosh suggestions. I don't want Mac OS alone -- I want a nice, new Mac. Windows is not nor will it ever be an option for me, and I don't want to hear why you think I'm wrong. Linux is limited to hobby use and server applications (both of which I spend some time on, and I'm well aware of the advantages and shortcomings of Linux as an OS -- so this is not the place for that discussion).

I am not a gamer; I fire up steam from time to time but it's not a big deal to me. More important is being able to push full screen video in 1080p on one display and work on Photoshop stuff on the other. Because I want to.

27" iMac + 27" thunderbolt display (and then, eventually, another Thunderbolt for 3x27" displays)
or
Maxed out Mac Mini with two identical displays (I haven't decided yet, but probably not Thunderbolts as I won't need to match them to the iMac's display).

Pros on the iMac side:
up to 3 2650x1440 displays. Goddamn.
Way better graphics options (2GB radeon)
Everything will look oh-so-nice if it's all matched

Con: Cost. That's it, pretty much.

Pros on the Mac Mini side:
Much cheaper, even accounting for difference in specs
Wider selection of displays (however they all have to be the same model)

Cons:
256MB Radeon is the best gfx card for it.
Not really sure if it could push a 3rd monitor if I wanted to

So there you have it... any input is appreciated, especially regarding external monitors. My inclination is to save for a bit longer and get the iMac. There's always the Mac Pro route, but that's pretty pricey and I'm not sure the cost matches the benefits since I don't render video or anything like that. Also, this probably won't happen until Ivy Bridge is in production, either so I can get a sandy bridge machine for cheaper or just get the top of the line 'Tock' product.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:09:42 »
Despite my name, I always had a soft spot for Macintosh computers (I've got 4 Macs at home), but not that new stuff they make in China. All Apple's new computers really are is just a PC inside a shiny case with a ridiculous price tag. They're made of the same components, except for a special chip on their cheap Foxconn motherboards that says it's a Mac.

If you really want to get a new Mac, then go ahead; it's your money you are spending. But I'd at least take a second look into Hackintosh setups before throwing out the option altogether. Some of my buddies at work have some pretty decent Hackintosh computers they built themselves that would far outpower any Apple computer of a similar price.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:50:15 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;559704
Despite my name, I always had a soft spot for Macintosh computers (I've got 4 Macs at home), but not that new stuff they make in China. All Apple's new computers really are is just a PC inside a shiny case with a ridiculous price tag. They're made of the same components, except for a special chip on their cheap Foxconn motherboards that says it's a Mac.

If you really want to get a new Mac, then go ahead; it's your money you are spending. But I'd at least take a second look into Hackintosh setups before throwing out the option altogether. Some of my buddies at work have some pretty decent Hackintosh computers they built themselves that would far outpower any Apple computer of a similar price.
Haven't seen you around in forever! Maybe I'm just not looking.

Thanks for your input. I know a hackintosh is the best deal cash-wise. It's really tempting, in fact. But I just don't want to spend the time it takes to build one. I don't want to do any tinkering on this box. I think I've earned my stripes as a Mac nerd to buy my very first brand new machine :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline audioave10

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 00:33:49 »
Namaste....is a common spoken valediction or salutation originating from the Indian subcontinent.
(you make me increase my education Rip)
anyway...I agree with MW as we build our own PC's here. You might find a tech who will build it for you and still save some money and have a hell of a system.
I would suggest a bigger video card if you are going to drive 3 high resolution monitors.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

fossala

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 02:27:15 »
I ran a hackintosh for a month or so. It worked fine, well other than it being OS X.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 08:34:39 »
Quote from: audioave10;560050
Namaste....is a common spoken valediction or salutation originating from the Indian subcontinent.
(you make me increase my education Rip)
anyway...I agree with MW as we build our own PC's here. You might find a tech who will build it for you and still save some money and have a hell of a system.
I would suggest a bigger video card if you are going to drive 3 high resolution monitors.

I don't have anything to prove to anyone by building a hackintosh (seriously, find me a PC case anywhere near as nice as a mac case, and I'll show you a Lian Li that makes the build cost just as much as a Mac). Building PCs just doesn't interest me anymore...

Offline mrmatt

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 09:08:52 »
I would go with the iMac over the Mini in your case. You aren't going to be pushing video to 3 screens with the video card in the Mini, and since you don't want to do a hackintosh then that is your only real option. Pretty sure the video in the Mini is a mobile chip, and a dual core i5 (or i7) isn't really going to give you the performance that you should have for that kind of money right now. Just helped my technologically impaired mother shop for a Mac and she ended up getting the iMac because she likes the display. Just my two cents.