Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bingsu (Complete)  (Read 79289 times)

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] GMK Bingsu (Update: Revised Kits, Proxies, Pending Quote, GB: Oct 15)
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 21:27:40 »
I know it's still early, but what would be the estimated time for delivery/shipping?

I see you've asked this in a couple of places. It's usually pretty hard to tell exactly when these things will deliver, a lot depends on the color matching process, for example. I think for a GMK set at this time I'd use 4-6 months from GB closing date to delivery as a sort of rule of thumb.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:47:47 »
I know it's still early, but what would be the estimated time for delivery/shipping?

GMK has been amazing in keeping their lead times pretty consistent with production. You can see anywhere between ~14-18 weeks, but like petrov said, getting correct samples comes first.

Having read through all the feedback, putting 40s kit on its own is probably not an ideal situation with how many keysets are running. I decided that providing physical coverage is better than offering kits with all physical coverage but being dropped at the end. It's really hard to fit everyone's needs while keeping the cost of sets priced well.
Thank you for all the feedback!

Offline yrneh

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 20:30:55 »

GMK has been amazing in keeping their lead times pretty consistent with production. You can see anywhere between ~14-18 weeks, but like petrov said, getting correct samples comes first.

Having read through all the feedback, putting 40s kit on its own is probably not an ideal situation with how many keysets are running. I decided that providing physical coverage is better than offering kits with all physical coverage but being dropped at the end. It's really hard to fit everyone's needs while keeping the cost of sets priced well.

Yeah, thank you for answering my question. Believe it or not I've been a lurker for several years now (on and off with this hobby) but I'm only now starting to get into it.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
!
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 23:56:13 »

Hopefully you'll still be providing the 4, 1u mods for ortho in the spacebar kit.

R2: Out
R3: Data or Read
R4: Enter or Shift

If you do, I'm looking forward to picking this one up!

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 00:23:47 »

Hopefully you'll still be providing the 4, 1u mods for ortho in the spacebar kit.

Nasp, you said you are committing to a 40s kit. I will hold you responsible for the fate of the kit during GB :)

Offline eirunoopi

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 08:38:55 »
GMK 9009 released Round 3 to make its legends more consistent, and i think the reworked keys look a lot better. not sure how much work this is, but do you think this could be applied to Bingsu as well?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 17:50:50 »

Nasp, you said you are committing to a 40s kit. I will hold you responsible for the fate of the kit during GB :)

Nasp has left the chat

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 02:48:55 »
GMK 9009 released Round 3 to make its legends more consistent, and i think the reworked keys look a lot better. not sure how much work this is, but do you think this could be applied to Bingsu as well?
This is an easy change with GMK (not sure if they are defaulting to the new icon legends yet_
The consensus is that many might prefer new, but are still "ok" with the old style. However, not everyone is okay with new style. I will run a poll, but I would like to get quotes out to GMK and changes to new legends won't effect pricing.

Nasp has left the chat

OP updated, 40s kit added, SB kit trimmed. Rep your peeps nasp

Offline eirunoopi

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 05:33:40 »
This is an easy change with GMK (not sure if they are defaulting to the new icon legends yet_
The consensus is that many might prefer new, but are still "ok" with the old style. However, not everyone is okay with new style. I will run a poll, but I would like to get quotes out to GMK and changes to new legends won't effect pricing.

This is reasonable, thanks for considering the change. Personally, I didn't really notice that the legends were off-centre in the old version until it was pointed out to me, but now I can't unsee it. I hope others will also consider it an aesthetic improvement.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:03:54 »
Nasp has entered chat

Your spacebar and 40's kit could use a 1.25 bar.

Also, not as important - this is mainly a personal request - will you please consider adding in either base or 40's a r3, 1u Ctrl or Code key. Jámon had a r3, 1u code key in the base and it was 👌

Offline tronix_41

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 13:07:52 »
some noveltys planned?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 13:22:24 »
Nasp has entered chat

out of curiosity, what boards are 1.25u spacebars used on?

Offline upas

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:35:17 »
Nasp has entered chat

Any traditional split space 60% uses 1.25u space. The split is usually 2.25/1.25/2.75 or 2.75/1.25/2.25

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:44:09 »
Nasp has entered chat

Any traditional split space 60% uses 1.25u space. The split is usually 2.25/1.25/2.75 or 2.75/1.25/2.25
Ah, I'm used to that being a modifier rather than a space, but that makes sense.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 18:31:55 »
def copping base and 40s.

Offline juliandoucette

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 19:06:36 »
I really like this. If you make ergo or assembly and colevrak kits then I will buy at-least two.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 22:53:08 »
You misspelled forties (you wrote fourties), in the first image.

Kit looks mucho nice-o

Offline jerrolds

• Discord "jerrolds | deskhero.ca#0379"
    • Deskhero.ca
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 23:06:41 »
Wow this looks great - colorway is so sick!

Good luck with this

Offline eas

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 15:34:27 »
I am so sorry but.... GMK Banana Milk next?

Thanks

Offline ctrlshiftba

• ctrlshiftba
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 18:25:12 »
Love the b key in the spacebar kit. That’s amazing.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 20:53:35 »
Awesome box art Sour! Love it!

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 04:55:17 »
Any chance to get a couple of additional keys for UK ISO? Mainly just the 2 " and 3 Ł keys.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Rise

• Trying to Give back to Community
Re: [IC] GMK Bingsu (Update: Deskmats, GB: Oct 15)
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 15:48:10 »
Bump with deskmat update in original post!

Offline Oni74

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:29:11 »
Really dig the colors, but I won't buy any keycap sets that require me to get numpad caps. Without numpad, I would consider joining along with Hangul kit.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 03:07:51 »
I like it :) As long as numpad stays in the base I might considering buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:14:53 »
You misspelled forties (you wrote fourties), in the first image.

Kit looks mucho nice-o
Good catch. Fixed!

I am so sorry but.... GMK Banana Milk next?

Thanks
:D

Any chance to get a couple of additional keys for UK ISO? Mainly just the 2 " and 3 Ł keys.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I have definitely considered it, but in order to keep the cost of the base set optimal I have opted to leave it out. The set works well with accent keys, otherwise I would have removed the accented arrows for full UK ISO.

Really dig the colors, but I won't buy any keycap sets that require me to get numpad caps. Without numpad, I would consider joining along with Hangul kit.
Thank you! With so many amazing keysets running, this means a lot. A significant amount of time and effort was put in analyzing cost/benefit for each kit.

Here are some quick notes how this was justified:
- Removing numpad from the base set does not offer a significant cost reduction (Sub $100 base set w/o numpad is generally feasible for stock colors)
- Growing trend of 1800 layouts and potential surfacing of numpad group buys. (Keep in mind that our community is growing very quickly and most are coming from full-sized keyboard layouts)
- A numpad child kit is easier to hit MOQ for subsequent rounds of a keyset (pre-existing/confirmed interest)

I like it :) As long as numpad stays in the base I might considering buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's staying. ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:18:38 by onefivenine »

Offline jyof

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 07:22:16 »

This is reasonable, thanks for considering the change. Personally, I didn't really notice that the legends were off-centre in the old version until it was pointed out to me, but now I can't unsee it. I hope others will also consider it an aesthetic improvement.

Is there any follow up from GMK about the new legends? Though I'll still take a set without :)

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 08:40:37 »
- Removing numpad from the base set does not offer a significant cost reduction (Sub $100 base set w/o numpad is generally feasible for stock colors)

Do you mean Bingsu base would be sub-$100 without the numpad?  Or that it _wouldn't_ because it's not stock colors?

Personally, I'll never use numpad keys, but I still buy sets which have them even when the difference in price is $100 vs. $130ish.  I'd prefer sets were cheaper, but I wouldn't skip a colorway I liked for $30.  I'm mostly just curious what the actual price differences are with and without the "additional" keys.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 12:26:49 »

Is there any follow up from GMK about the new legends? Though I'll still take a set without :)
I have been discussing logic and design aspects of old vs. new with Dixie. I will render comparison photos when I get home from work today

Do you mean Bingsu base would be sub-$100 without the numpad?  Or that it _wouldn't_ because it's not stock colors?

Personally, I'll never use numpad keys, but I still buy sets which have them even when the difference in price is $100 vs. $130ish.  I'd prefer sets were cheaper, but I wouldn't skip a colorway I liked for $30.  I'm mostly just curious what the actual price differences are with and without the "additional" keys.

It would be very difficult to reach below $100 (custom colors + higher MOQ)

Speculation based on current/past gb:
Base W/ Numpad: ~$130
Base W/O Numpad: ~$120
Numpad Kit: ~$35

*Note: prices may vary. There is no golden standard or rule.

In this example, removing numpad may reduce by ~$10 for the base/core set but increases the added cost of a base + numpad kit by a higher margin. Again, these numbers are just examples and vendors, designers, import/tax/shipping, and contribution by the community dictate selling price. A “group buy” is combining purchasing power to help benefit the community as a whole.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 12:33:17 by onefivenine »

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 14:58:43 »

It would be very difficult to reach below $100 (custom colors + higher MOQ)

Speculation based on current/past gb:
Base W/ Numpad: ~$130
Base W/O Numpad: ~$120
Numpad Kit: ~$35

*Note: prices may vary. There is no golden standard or rule.

In this example, removing numpad may reduce by ~$10 for the base/core set but increases the added cost of a base + numpad kit by a higher margin. Again, these numbers are just examples and vendors, designers, import/tax/shipping, and contribution by the community dictate selling price. A “group buy” is combining purchasing power to help benefit the community as a whole.

Hope that helps!

In that case, I would definitely agree that keeping the numpad in for an extra $10 (estimated) was the right call.  Can't wait for GB!

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 14:35:54 »
RAL Swatches have been measured by a spectrophotometer

Mod color:

Alpha color:

The physical cap samples will also be measured and shared when we receive them.

GB starts October 15 (Tuesday)
We are still waiting on quotes from GMK as their main contact is on vacation. We are prepared with our estimate prices based on past sets. If no response has been received by Monday, we will move ahead with our set pricing. Lead time is approximately 18 weeks + 1 week for finalizing PO details.

Will update GB thread once posted.

Thanks!

Offline liangalv

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:31:42 »
Super interested, I'm in :)

Offline maximize

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 18:07:25 »
Ok this set is gorgeous.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 20:02:09 »

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

We are still waiting on quotes from GMK as their main contact is on vacation. We are prepared with our estimate prices based on past sets. If no response has been received by Monday, we will move ahead with our set pricing. Lead time is approximately 18 weeks + 1 week for finalizing PO details.

Thanks!

I'm very interested to see how the RAL swatches compare to the keycaps.

One request: could you please rotate the X-axis labels so they are legible?

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 20:13:19 »

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Offline infinitykw

• Amazed by the beauty of industrial design
    • zFrontier Profile
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 22:31:14 »

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Show Image

Show Image

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Show Image

Show Image

Hello~ and thanks for sharing the grapics which are very interesting to me.  Can you interpret what the X and Y axes mean and how do they affect a keyset?

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 00:05:45 »

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Show Image

Show Image

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Show Image

Show Image

Hello~ and thanks for sharing the grapics which are very interesting to me.  Can you interpret what the X and Y axes mean and how do they affect a keyset?

It's a measurement and plotting of spectral reflectance of the RAL sheet samples. It was done by a friend of mine who is a color expert so I am unable to go into detail, but a spectrophotometer was used to collect this data.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 02:21:06 »
More

Mod color:
Show Image

Alpha color:
Show Image

Thanks!

Show Image

Hope this helps:

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, that helps.  Thank you!

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 04:10:42 »
Might doing a render on light-colored keyboard?

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 10:14:18 »
Might doing a render on light-colored keyboard?

Have a color in mind? I’ll be able to do a quick render when I get home

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 10:15:01 »
GMK Quotes are in! Waiting on proxies to confirm before releasing.

Offline infinitykw

• Amazed by the beauty of industrial design
    • zFrontier Profile
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 11:11:41 »
My body is ready. 

Offline Rise

• Trying to Give back to Community
Re: [IC] GMK Bingsu (GB LIVE)
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:30:24 »
GB Live: October 15 - November 16.

Vendors/Proxies:
US: projectkeyboard.com
EU: mykeyboard.eu
AU/ASIA: dailyclack.com

PRICING

GB Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102936.0

Offline matrixzj

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:34:45 »

Vendors/Proxies:

PRICING

Show Image

GB link is broken , not approved yet ?
Discord:Matrix#6203

HHKB Fanatics

SA/GMK Keycaps Info

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:54:02 »
thanks for the good prices!

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:55:48 »

Vendors/Proxies:

PRICING

Show Image

GB link is broken , not approved yet ?
Pending mod approval. Will ask rise to nudge tomorrow ;)

thanks for the good prices!

You bet! Been a rough past few months for all of us :(