Author Topic: [IC] ButterKnife - (Ortho 20% Chording KB + Novelty Case) Yes... *that* knife.  (Read 9275 times)

Offline mujimanic

ButterKnife Interest Check

UPDATE: Group buy to start TUESDAY JANUARY 7 @7am CST!

Buy page here: https://www.gboards.ca/product/butterknife

Hi, I'm mujimanic.

I made a knife that types.

232943-0

The ButterKnife is a keyboard case built for g Heavy Industries' Butter Stick PCB. There was only meant to be just one. Now there shall be more. I am collaborating with Germ (g Heavy Industries) to bring this 3-pound meme to you.

Gallery
232945-1 232947-2
232949-3 232951-4

Not familiar with the Butter Stick?
The Butter Stick is a surface-mount ortholinear 20% chording keyboard that accepts input akin to stenography. Alternate keys and key layers can be accessed by typing multiple keys together.
For more information on the Butter Stick, see here: http://docs.gboards.ca/Meet-Butter-Stick#modes

The ButterKnife is made from laser-cut 304 stainless steel, brush-surfaced, and then hand-filed to a dull edge.

Features:
(updated 12/4/2020)
- Priced at $250
- Five laser-cut brushed stainless steel plates held together with M3 screws (you will need a 2.0 mm and 2.5mm hex screwdriver to assemble).
- Each kit to include one (1) Butter Stick PCB as well as choc switches + keycaps
- 30 units
- 3D printed handle grips with choice of ASA thermoplastic of defined colors, or stained wood 3d filament. Sanded surface is planned for all grip materials
- Square-tipped blade, 4mm thickness
- Full-tang handle
- Compatible with low-profile switches only (Kailh Choc). No current plans for Cherry/MX switch compatibility due to thinness of the case and added cost.
- 1.2mm switchplate layer
- The handle will be elongated another 1.5cm in the final design compared to sample pictures here.
232953-5

Disclaimer:
The ButterKnife case is for decorative purposes. It is not for food use. Edges can be sharp and pointy. Handle the ButterKnife responsibly to avoid injury to self or others. Keep away from children. I would strongly discourage actually sharpening this thing.

Comments:
- Yes, a group buy is definitely happening. Germ and I are gauging interest level to help plan production and delivery schedule.
- Current order cap is 30 ButterKnives.
- Because stainless steel is already an expensive medium to work with, we will be offering only one blade shape (square tip) to keep the project manageable.
- Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback. You all are making this insane project actually happen!
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2020, 18:22:02 by mujimanic »

Offline meatsmoothies

• howdy!
    • portfolio / store
so excited for this! i'm hoping my account balance agrees with me once this goes up for gb!

Offline jimboytacos

Where do I sign up?

Offline Darth_munkee

I'm in

Offline Eigencat

I need this

Offline AuthenticDanger

Will you open source the layer hole locations so other blade shapes can be made?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Corgiattackkk

If this was ever made with damascus steel, it'd be so freaking sexy haha.

Offline DasGnome

This is ridiculously amazing

Offline Thighs

• Thighs#0100
instant cop

Offline mujimanic

Will you open source the layer hole locations so other blade shapes can be made?

Yes, after the GB has been completed I will release the blade layer as well as the 3D handle grip files.

Offline mononokay

I never had an urge to buy a butter stick until now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nathanchere

With Final Fantasy VII Remake coming in a couple months, is there any chance of a TKL Buster Sword Edition next?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 08:59:09 by nathanchere »

Offline CanaryRAM

OMG, i want this! It would be better with 30 keys just for typing. Great job guys!

Offline Ghghop

I may just need to swap out my keeblade for this! Sorry Qlavier!

JJ50                   Preonic

Offline beefwelldone

so cooll

Offline mujimanic

With Final Fantasy VII Remake coming in a couple months, is there any chance of a TKL Buster Sword Edition next?
Show Image

That... would take quite a lot of money to make. Well, out of steel at least. I'll leave someone else to develop a Buster case!

Offline mujimanic

So it's definite. The group buy will start Tuesday Jan 7 at 7am CST! I updated the OP with details.

Thanks to everyone who reached out to me. I'll close this IC thread later this weekend and start a GB page.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Oh dang. I didn't know I needed this till just now. I'm so glad I didn't potentially miss out on this.

How do I join in on this GB?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:32:24 by d00deitsnik »

Offline mujimanic

Oh dang. I didn't know I needed this till just now. I'm so glad I didn't potentially miss out on this.

Yes, GB opens tomorrow. Sorry, I tried to open a GB topic, but I think I need Mod approval.

Kits will be sold at Germ's g Heavy Industries store
https://www.gboards.ca/

Offline d00deitsnik

Yes, GB opens tomorrow. Sorry, I tried to open a GB topic, but I think I need Mod approval.

Thanks. I didn't realize the GB was going to be on the gboards site. I think if you message the mods, they might be able to push the approval a little faster (based on bits of info I've randomly picked up from random places).

Offline mujimanic

Thanks. I didn't realize the GB was going to be on the gboards site. I think if you message the mods, they might be able to push the approval a little faster (based on bits of info I've randomly picked up from random places).

Thanks! Yeah I reached out to some. Is there a list of moderators somewhere? I've picked off some names here and there

Offline d00deitsnik

Thanks! Yeah I reached out to some. Is there a list of moderators somewhere? I've picked off some names here and there

I wish I could help more, but I'm still fairly new to geekhack. :p Apparently, September 2019 new.

Offline mujimanic

Okay I think I have a solution. I'm having our third team member (Myteethfeelweird) post the GB, as I don't have an account old enough to post. It's not ideal, but hey, it should work okay!

Group buy is already live!

Offline d00deitsnik

Okay I think I have a solution. I'm having our third team member (Myteethfeelweird) post the GB, as I don't have an account old enough to post. It's not ideal, but hey, it should work okay!

Group buy is already live!

I joined on the first day right before I started getting ready for work. I'm looking forward to this.  :thumb: