Author Topic: [IC] GMK Copper - Group Buy January 13th, Cables, Artisans and Giveaways  (Read 44889 times)

Offline fatboycarney

Hello Geekhack I would like to introduce you to

228435-0

launching into Group Buy on January 13th

I wanted to share these amazing caps that Sodiecaps did for the GMK Copper Group Buy, more info will be announced during the group buy
Thanks so much to Sodiecaps for being amazing to work with and delivering these unbelievable artisans

233254-1

Inspiration
More
My initial inspiration was coins, I collect coins including pennies. I love the varying colors you get with copper pennies, almost no 2 coins look alike.
This made choosing the right colour for copper a bit of a challenge but I am extremely happy with the look of the Copper colour I have decided on.

The second inspiration is Patina If you aren't familiar with this I hope you enjoy a basic bit of chemistry. When Copper ages and is exposed to various natural elements it can form
a number of chemical compounds on its surface. The result of the creation of these compounds is a wide range of almost unbelievable colours. For this keyset I have taken inspiration from
the slightly oxidized aged colour of Copper the extremely aged and unrecognizable look of Oxidized Brown Copper and the almost luminescence
and likely more common Cyan Patina

Copper is the perfect fit as inspiration for a keyset, it allows for a ton of options to represent Copper and its many looks.

Kits

In an effort to cover as many boards as possible I have included numpad, physical ISO, and keys for a basic Ortho/40s in the base kit and have limited the kits to 3

Base
139.99 USD/ 134 EUR/ 195 CDN/ 205 AUD/ (Asia 160 USD/995 RMB)

230749-2

Novelties

44.99 USD/ 46 EUR/ 63 CDN/ 66 AUD/ (Asia 48 USD/322 RMB)

229847-3

Spaces

24.99 USD/ 27 EUR/ 35 CDN/ 37 AUD/ (Asia 27 USD/ 178 RMB)

229849-4

Vendors

US - Kono

Canada - DESKHERO

Europe - MyKeyboard

Oceania - Daily Clack

Asia - ZFrontier-EN     ZFrontier - CN

Renders --> Will add more over the next coming weeks

Iron165 (Smith+Rune)
229851-5
229853-6
229855-7

Austin (driftingbunnies, PheonixStarr and Gondolindrim)

230751-8
230753-9
230291-10

45-ATS (Abec13)

230293-11
230295-12
230297-13

Deskmats

229857-14

230563-15

230565-16

:eek: Salvun Artisan - Copper Keycap with real Patina and sealed to retain  :eek:

231455-17

231457-18

Colours

I wanted to add a small description about the colour selection. Originally I had keyed in on the Pantone Colour "Copper Coin"  (https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/18-1537-TPX) as this seemed like a great way to achieve the copper theme. Using normal non metallic colours to emulate a metallic look is certainly
difficult and may not work for everyone. After continuing to look at colours and stumbling across a Pantone book at work I made the modification to change to Pantone 7522 C (https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/7522-C) as this offered a lighter solution for the alphas.
Copper is not only tricky because of its metallic properties but because of its range in between pink/brown/orange hues. For the mods after making some initial changes due to recommendations in the community, I wanted a brown inspired by some of my sample patina/oxidation images that didn't look black but also did look rusty (another great dark orange set is currently in IC)

I hope that gives some context and if you dig into some of the hidden sections of my post you can see that the more chocolaty browns do appear in oxidized copper.

The colours of GMK Copper

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/7522-C
https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-8017-chocolate-brown
https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-6027-light-green

Old Updates
More

BIG UPDATES

Group Buy -   set for January. The exact date is not confirmed but it will likely begin the 2nd week of January and run through the first week of February

Base Kit updated - I have updated the Base Kit to include the R3 |/ (while retaining the ~# Jae!) and added an R4 1.5u Super as this was the most requested key to be added, things are pretty locked down but if anything overwhelming came up it might be possible to make changes

Deskmats - Thank you all for the overwhelming feedback on the deskmats, due to the number of responses and relatively close race I have decided to offer both of the new mats for a total of 3

Update - October 19th
My first crack at building out the kits (novelties still to come) Artist renders will be coming but wanted to get some feedback from the community first so took a crack at KLE and used kbrenders to get a great looking kit render I think

228438-19

Old images and renders
More

Here are some images of the beauty that can come from Patina'd piece of copper

228115-20

228117-21

Also to continue my inspiration I tried an experiment to see what kind of colour I could acheive on a pure piece of copper

228119-22
228121-23

There are a number of other interesting and amazing things about Copper that you may or may not know, and hopefully as the set evolves this amazing metal will become something you want to represent on your favourite board!!

Here is a KBrender of the latest design

228211-24

Old renders
I present an early KLE render of GMK Copper (more renders to come - legends are not final and only representative of default KLE)

228123-25

Finally got my kbrenders render (thanks CQ_Cumbers) Thanks for all the great feedback, looking into options but here is the better render to continue the conversation

228150-26

Updated KLE render --> Please comment on the updated colourway. A lot of feedback around the black so for comparison with a dark brown that compares nicely with one of my inspiration pics
Using RAL 030 20 10 for the mods now and my main copper colour for the alphas (if feedback is positive improved renders will be coming)

228156-27

Updated with lighter accent which I like as I agree with the switch the TU2 was to dark Thoughts?
228164-28

Whats Next

Get Quotes from GMK
Finalize date
Finalize Artisans and announce
Maybe some more surprise renders!!!

Giant Thank You!!!

OneCreativeMind for everything he has done for me, working with me on novelties, kitting discussions, all things art and just anything he can to help make this set a success
Albec13 for consulting on kitting while I was building this out, absolutely amazing renders and final kit preparation and putting up with my general harassment
azhdar for being the OP on this thread and a number of commenters with some great points On the availability of ISO in GB
Agilr for early colour feedback and great recommendation on different colour direction
Nasp for a great kit discussion and all the time he spent explaining his process, so helpful
T0mb3ry  and Moridin for being cool with using the elemental design
remendis for being harrassed randomly by me and turning out was following the set and giving feedback and helping with me bouncing ideas off him
All the amazing vendors who are supporting the set, such a professional, friendly, helpful group
And last but not least the community, such a welcoming, helpful, talented place to make great things happen

Comments encouraged

Thanks!

231996-29

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 18:49:17 by fatboycarney »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] GMK Copper
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 00:52:45 »
Love the origin/theme behind it though I'm a bit torn on black alphas. I understand that it's going for contrast but possibly a dark beige or brown like in your images might suit the theme better?

Need to wait for better renders but so far it looks like a nice set :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2019, 00:58:25 by Agilr »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 00:59:38 »
Hmm, this might look pretty good. Waiting for better renders to judge but so far it is nice.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 01:20:26 »
This is... interesting. Looking forward to how it looks with better renders.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 01:47:52 »
Love the origin/theme behind it though I'm a bit torn on black alphas. I understand that it's going for contrast but possibly a dark beige or brown like in your images might suit the theme better?

Need to wait for better renders but so far it looks like a nice set :thumb:

I agree re the alphas. Think it has some amazing potential. I'm not sure how the black sits
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2019, 01:54:24 by SwitchKeys »

Offline Sissy

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 01:54:44 »
Theme is great, but not big on the black.
I like copper because of the different shades it can have when fully polished to patina to the green on it.

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 02:33:52 »
Love the origin/theme behind it though I'm a bit torn on black alphas.

Love your personal story and passion for copper :thumb: The black alphas remind me of a famous battery brand...

There's a lot of inspiration that can be drawn from the images you have posted for additional colors.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2019, 02:44:22 by Butterbeer »

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 04:04:21 »
I love the inspiration to this set, but not yet convinced by the render.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 11:26:14 »
It would seem to me this would be one of the sets that would be better off by having one color for alphas and TWO colors for the mods (like Carbon did). Different patina tones, perhaps?

Offline norb

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 11:41:03 »
Theme is great, but not big on the black.
I like copper because of the different shades it can have when fully polished to patina to the green on it.

+1 to this.
imo the black alphas are too much black for being a copper-like set. but if you switch the alphas/mods colors you'll get close to GMK Forge.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 12:37:07 »
Better render attached in OP

So much great feedback interested to see if anything changes based on the better render. Going to look alternatives to the black and will provide updates but I am reading the feedback so keep it coming  :thumb:

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 14:41:59 »
Is there a manufacturer who makes a nice keycap (XDA DSA HSA JTK GMK SA MT3, happy to hear others) who can make caps with a metallic color?

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 17:34:02 »
Is there a manufacturer who makes a nice keycap (XDA DSA HSA JTK GMK SA MT3, happy to hear others) who can make caps with a metallic color?

Artisan options are available like this and on my radar for this set

Offline fatboycarney

Re: [IC] GMK Copper - alternate color option update
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 18:07:50 »
Added updated KLE render with new colour (less black as it was mostly unpopular)

228158-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2019, 18:57:45 by fatboycarney »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 18:43:37 »
Added updated KLE render with no color (less black as it was mostly unpopular)

(Attachment Link)

Like the new alphas colour now, but I feel with the theme changed from contrasting mods to complimentary mods and alphas which I think work really well there is no place for bright accent keys. Possibly tone down the blue a couple or shades or completely remove it as it feels like a completely different set.

Offline vincevelorn

• Great googly moogly!
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 19:20:19 »
I dig the change! The hint of blue and the copper alphas is real nice.

VE.A Acrylic Clone, Zealios v2 67g, GMK DMG | KBD75v2, Kailh Pro Purple, Tai hao Blue/Gray | YMD96, Hako Royal Clears, JTK Orange on White

Offline bd_slade

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 19:33:54 »
I dig this!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 19:44:42 »
I'm a big fan of the updated render. :thumb:

Are the colors for the alphas text the same as the blue ESC and Enter key? The ESC and Enter colors look similar to brown modifiers but the alphas look more grey to me. I think it's just my eyes playing tricks on me.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 19:50:15 »
Yes they are the same, its using the brow mods colour for both the legends on the ESC/Enter and the alphas,  but I agree it does show up looking greyish. I suspect updated renders will fix that.

Withe positive feedback I might spark up an upgraded render. Still waffling on the suggestion to change the blue to something lighter. Might play with that and see how I like it. Really want to stay with the blue patina in the set.

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 October 2019, 19:53:47 by fatboycarney »

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:49:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Like the new alphas colour now, but I feel with the theme changed from contrasting mods to complimentary mods and alphas which I think work really well there is no place for bright accent keys. Possibly tone down the blue a couple or shades or completely remove it as it feels like a completely different set.

Updated with a lighter accents which I think looks better so thanks for all the great feedback!  I really wouldn't want to remove completely but of course set owners will have the option to go all brown in mods. Hope you like it, interested in more of yours and others feedback, keep it coming

228166-0

Dont forget to fill out the Google Form here https://forms.gle/khUUx6cunnbX6s6g7

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 20:57:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Updated with a lighter accents which I think looks better so thanks for all the great feedback!  I really wouldn't want to remove completely but of course set owners will have the option to go all brown in mods. Hope you like it, interested in more of yours and others feedback, keep it coming

(Attachment Link)

Dont forget to fill out the Google Form here https://forms.gle/khUUx6cunnbX6s6g7

I was leaning towards darker accents, but this with it's less saturated colours I think ties the set really well.

Can't wait for better renders :thumb:

Offline molotov87

Re: [IC] GMK Copper - alternate color options update
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 18:20:23 »
can the greenish patina color be the legend color ? I  think that would look stellar on the black or browns alphas

Offline fatboycarney

Re: [IC] GMK Copper - alternate color options update
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 19:12:23 »
I thought about this but thought some might want to have this just the copper and black and now copper and brown colour with no patina influence. If more ask certainly something I could consider.

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
Re: [IC] GMK Copper - Updated colour with better render
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 22:35:44 »
Maybe this is too much to ask but I don't lose anything trying, is there any possibility to make a render with a rose-gold case like the new Rama M-65B?   ;D

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 23:12:24 »
that new render is actually nice af

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 23:28:28 »
Suggestion:

MURICA novelty keycaps:

New and Old. Just look at that patina.

INB4 I'm American. The statue is iconic.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2019, 23:33:51 by Butterbeer »

Offline guzzi

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 06:56:02 »
Good call on the alphas, this set just became a lot more interesting.
Since this still seems to be the experimental phase, have you tried blue legends on either mods or alphas?

Offline whyamihere

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 12:45:20 »
oooh the alpha change was on point. looks amazing

what a unique set

Offline vincevelorn

• Great googly moogly!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 12:53:57 »
Yeah ditto, I'm super into this set

VE.A Acrylic Clone, Zealios v2 67g, GMK DMG | KBD75v2, Kailh Pro Purple, Tai hao Blue/Gray | YMD96, Hako Royal Clears, JTK Orange on White

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 15:19:02 »
The render looks amazing. When's the expected GB?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 20:04:25 »
Good call on the alphas, this set just became a lot more interesting.
Since this still seems to be the experimental phase, have you tried blue legends on either mods or alphas?

Thanks to the community for all the feedback!! This may be something that is an optional extra kit for sure if the interest is there

Suggestion:

MURICA novelty keycaps:

Show Image

New and Old. Just look at that patina.

INB4 I'm American. The statue is iconic.

Likely no more iconic representative of Patina anywhere in the world........ :cool:

Maybe this is too much to ask but I don't lose anything trying, is there any possibility to make a render with a rose-gold case like the new Rama M-65B?   ;D

More
Show Image
this may be possible, will keep it in mind for sure

The render looks amazing. When's the expected GB?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Need to get kits and pro renders up and then secure vendors, then will have a better idea

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, keep it coming

Offline spring4k

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 00:15:34 »
228288-0

this is tx87 copper

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 06:11:57 »
reminds me of GMK Chocolates with mint accents good luck!

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 23:41:54 »
Ok new IC form posted and kit render of Base + Spaces  (novelties coming with artist renders along with final kits)   done by yours truly as I wanted to get feedback before moving ahead with final renders. I think they turned out pretty good (novelties coming with artist renders along with final kits)  Please fill in the form and comment, thanks!!

https://forms.gle/mgSmYeJHkAgzYKTV9
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2019, 00:19:50 by fatboycarney »

Offline fatboycarney

Re: [IC] GMK Copper - Kit Render and New IC Form - October 19th update
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 October 2019, 22:06:49 »
Hi all

Just wanted to throw something up for some quick feedback. What do you think of this as an addon kit, to wierd, Fits the theme but not the board. Dont hold back!

Extra Patina -- Just an idea I threw at KLE after chatting with Onefiftynine

229129-0

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 08:25:17 »
Hi all

Just wanted to throw something up for some quick feedback. What do you think of this as an addon kit, to wierd, Fits the theme but not the board. Dont hold back!

(Attachment Link)

IMHO, everyone and their dog and their cat is going to have a different idea of how the patina should look like. The "patina" kit you thought up is large enough to NOT be much of a stretch to actually make a whole "patinalphas" kit and let everyone pick and choose his or her or its own pattern.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 20:56:40 »
Hi all

(Attachment Link)

IMHO, everyone and their dog and their cat is going to have a different idea of how the patina should look like. The "patina" kit you thought up is large enough to NOT be much of a stretch to actually make a whole "patinalphas" kit and let everyone pick and choose his or her or its own pattern.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Offline fatboycarney

Re: [IC] GMK Copper - Massive Updates - Renders, Novelties, Vendors
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:58:34 »
Big updates in OP looking for feedback in the form!! Thanks!

And Check this out!!
https://imgur.com/JN7zheW

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 22:16:35 »
Renders looking good, quite like the deskmat as well :thumb:

I'm a bit confused however on the use of an octupus and spider as the novelties, could you explain how they relate to the copper theme?

Offline Winster

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 22:54:40 »
Is it possible to include a R1 1u back key as well please? For those who spilt their backspaces.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 09:13:06 »

I'm a bit confused however on the use of an octupus and spider as the novelties, could you explain how they relate to the copper theme?

Great question Agilr, the Octopus and Spider are haemocyanins, which means instead of having iron in the blood to transport oxygen, they have copper

Thanks for the kind words on the renders

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 09:13:54 »

Great question Agilr, the Octopus and Spider are haemocyanins, which means instead of having iron in the blood to transport oxygen, they have copper

Thanks for the kind words on the renders
How the hell did they not tell us about this in biology? That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ivu

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 13:17:12 »
Lovely set! I hope you are planning to have EU proxy?  :thumb:

Could you do more renders with other base colors. Got the graphite and plum Iron165 SE version but not sure how the set would work with them.

I have an extra copper badge so at least that would match for sure lol

Only not sure about the accent color. Maybe something with a tiny bit more greenish so it can make it a bit more complimentary in terms of warmth to the alphas and modifiers. Which ral color is that?

edit: Just saw Mykeyboard as EU vendor. Either it was just added or i am blind :D Thought about some other options for the accents but couldn't find a better match, so leave it as it is !
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:04:14 by ivu »

Offline Funkzilla

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 13:20:43 »
I was googling yesterday to see if there was any copper themed sets and what do ya know I wake up to this today haha. Thought its amazing, I would've liked a more orange or bare coppery colorway vs the current set being so heavy on what I personally interpret as a more milk chocolate-y/clay light brown. Most likely in for one regardless. Good luck!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:30:18 »
I like the patina accents, see it quite often on old camera parts :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 20:45:53 »
Is it possible to include a R1 1u back key as well please? For those who spilt their backspaces.

I will review all the key requests and update the forum for any updates once all the feedback is in, thanks for the info, I have noticed that no other sets including basic ortho/40s support have this, can you use another guy in its place? Possibly "-" and "delete"?

I was googling yesterday to see if there was any copper themed sets and what do ya know I wake up to this today haha. Thought its amazing, I would've liked a more orange or bare coppery colorway vs the current set being so heavy on what I personally interpret as a more milk chocolate-y/clay light brown. Most likely in for one regardless. Good luck!  ;D ;D ;D

I added some updates to the main post about the colour choices. I totally get what your saying and as mentioned above its a bit tricky to hit what I was going for. I felt Copper coin (or the very slightly ligher variant of that colour got me the closest. Also have a look at some of more old info and some of those pics capture these colours
Glad to hear you are still in much appreciated!

How the hell did they not tell us about this in biology? That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is amazing!

Lovely set! I hope you are planning to have EU proxy?  :thumb:

Could you do more renders with other base colors. Got the graphite and plum Iron165 SE version but not sure how the set would work with them.

I have an extra copper badge so at least that would match for sure lol

Only not sure about the accent color. Maybe something with a tiny bit more greenish so it can make it a bit more complimentary in terms of warmth to the alphas and modifiers. Which ral color is that?

edit: Just saw Mykeyboard as EU vendor. Either it was just added or i am blind :D Thought about some other options for the accents but couldn't find a better match, so leave it as it is !

Lol yeah I had Mykeyboard there when I was creating the page but must have accidentally deleted so updated and must have got it in time for you to see on refresh :) Other renders coming for sure and your request has been noted for sure :)

I like the patina accents, see it quite often on old camera parts :cool:

Thanks appreciate the feedback especially from a legend  :thumb:

Offline Sam_Kim

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 00:05:01 »
I'm in. Beautiful colorway!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 00:48:10 »
With the inclusion of the novelties, this set is def growing on me. Very nice!

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:46:34 »
This came out really well. Bravo. First set in a while I'm actually interested in.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 09:11:18 »
I'm in. Beautiful colorway!

Awesome thank you!

With the inclusion of the novelties, this set is def growing on me. Very nice!

Great to hear man and thanks for all the help!!

This came out really well. Bravo. First set in a while I'm actually interested in.

Thank you thats awesome will the great set that means a lot!!