Author Topic: [IC] Pandora - The 1 Percent 60% - GB Sept 12th! - Group Buy post made  (Read 85595 times)

Offline isaiasr212

Re: [IC] Pandora - The 1 Percent 60%
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:33:00 »
What do you guys think? Made the winglets more compact and changed the weight look!
Show Image

Show Image

Looks Amazing my friend, Amazing!

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:36:22 »
Haha thanks! One more of the redesign

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:46:04 »
Will the slits on the bottom letting the light through be left empty? Or will they be covered in something like polycarb or acrylic?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:55:35 »
Hey Nathan! I had Polycarbonate cutouts in my original Pandora made in 2018. They didn't shine the light down how I wanted even a little, so I removed them. Been dailying the board for 2 years since with the cutouts fully open, with no trouble at all! Think I will be going that route with this board. But if you can see in this photo, I did leave indents for a polycarbonate slit to sit down if I did want to include them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2020, 21:25:51 by Koobaczech »

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:39:36 »
The redesigned weight looks good!!
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:53:50 »
Show Image

I dig it!

The screw holes near the top - they're up against the edge. Is there room to bring them in slightly so you're not interrupting the edge?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:59:37 »
I like the both the weights, the redesign is cool too but you should only go through with the change if it sits right with you - it's your board, Keycult gave you the go ahead, you don't need to cater to further political correctness despite maybe not having gone about it the best way from the get-go. I don't think you need to appeal to the few that still think it's distasteful (not knocking their opinion, it definitely is a strong inspiration and I can see why some would feel it's too clone-like), it's a hobby, things are subjective, you've been stewing this board for years and to release it in a manner that YOU don't feel is your ideal vision over something like this is not okay.

That said I really like the project overall, I love my Pearl even though I absolutely cannot daily drive a board that small. The design is cool and the dyed polycarbonate options are going to be super popular I'm sure (I think it's a great idea), but what really sells it for me are the inner workings - the rotary encoder is actually tastefully sized/placed unlike basically every single other board that has included one thus far, the option for 10u spacebar is amazing, the PCB looks incredible and the mounting system/plate are very cool.

Great job and good luck, glad you stuck with this for so long.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:11:20 »
Thank you guys!! Vision, working on the screw holes and few other things :] Vigrith, can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind words! I'm super happy with how everything turned out as well and that I was able to make something so cool. On a side note, I love the redesign. I would axe the project before changing something that I didn't like just for someone. But respecting KC, having a different weight and the general happiness of everyone are all very positive changes, happy with it! And finally, its actually a really good thing because Ill have the only two prototypes with the unique badge haha ;]

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:20:56 »
I think this weight design works even better from an aesthetic perspective the way it follows the same contours of the bottom case, so it’s a win win in my books. Nice iteration!

Offline Psyoshi

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:35:50 »
Loving it!!!!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 00:53:47 »
A great thing about this board is how different it looks in polycarb and aluminum. Different parts of the design become more eye-catching/evident depending on the material because of the fillets Koob used.
For example, the top case in aluminum is SO sick with the filleted edges and really draws your eye compared to most other keyboards I've seen.
On the other hand, that's less pronounced with the polycarb, but the back edge's curves into the winglets...OOF! I want to rub my hands all over those.

I'm saving up now so I can get one of each. Also, I'm not a fan of Exclusive's badges (love his boards, though), but the badge on this prototype is really aesthetically pleasing.
The Pearl (and OG Pandora) had a great font. I'm happy you're continuing that.

Another thing that I loved about the Pearl was the card and other stuff that came with it. I joined the community too late for the GB, but I was lucky to get it aftermarket from someone who included all the original stuff, so I got the unboxing experience.
And reading on GH about how the group buy was run and how happy people were with Koob's customer service, I'm in for this 100% and then some.

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 03:50:56 »
Show Image

I dig it!

The screw holes near the top - they're up against the edge. Is there room to bring them in slightly so you're not interrupting the edge?

I really like the redesign more than the original. The corner of the weight pointing upwards towards the back of the case just felt off somehow the more i looked at it. Might have just been the angle. But this is much more symmetrical while retaining it's original inspiration. Well done!

I second the note about the screws. Aesthetically, it might not matter much (although some might find it mildly irritating just knowing it exists). While the aluminum version may be a "tank" as you say, I worry about the thickness of the case for the polycarb version with the screws being SO VERY close to the edge like that. It would be potentially even easier to crack when screwing, even with the utmost care taken, depending on the thickness from the end of the hole diameter to the edge of the case.

The winglet cutouts definitely look better. I suspect it'll bother me personally when I pick it up, but I don't expect to be doing much of that so I'm willing to overlook it because I like the potential this has.

When you say the rotary is "bolted" on with M3 screws that reads as a bit confusing (I might just be talking semantics here but would like clarification). Bolting implies that it's not meant to be removed. And as I am mainly in for the polycarb version, it is concerning to me that it might not be as durable as I would like. Can you elaborate on how the rotary is mounted exactly?

Again, great job on the redesigned bottom!

Edit: I really like the polycarb color of the proto. So out of curiosity, I would like to ask how one would go about the process of dying a polycarb case like this exactly? I don't suppose you have any information you're able to give for this? If you do it would be greatly appreciated for my own edification. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2020, 03:57:17 by kimchijody »

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 06:54:09 »
Digging the second re-design, I feel like it adds a 'compactness' and concise look to the bottom, coupled with bringing the screws in just a smidge to get that uninterrupted edge, I think the bottom will be quite classy!

Offline LuiKang

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 06:59:14 »
@Koobaczech where to get a 10u spacebar and wire?

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 08:47:15 »
No split space possibility?

Offline dvchan

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 15:05:14 »
Looks amazing!

Offline AnomalousFox

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:14:57 »
Great design. Looking forward to seeing more ano colours. GL

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 10:08:05 »
Thank you very much Jaxxstatic<3 I share the same sentiments as you completely. I've been part of group buys just like everyone here and I always try to make things as fun as If I was joining in myself!

I second the note about the screws. Aesthetically, it might not matter much (although some might find it mildly irritating just knowing it exists). While the aluminum version may be a "tank" as you say, I worry about the thickness of the case for the polycarb version with the screws being SO VERY close to the edge like that.

When you say the rotary is "bolted" on with M3 screws that reads as a bit confusing. Bolting implies that it's not meant to be removed. And as I am mainly in for the polycarb version, it is concerning to me that it might not be as durable as I would like. Can you elaborate on how the rotary is mounted exactly?

I really like the polycarb color of the proto. So out of curiosity, I would like to ask how one would go about the process of dying a polycarb case like this exactly? I don't suppose you have any information you're able to give for this? If you do it would be greatly appreciated for my own edification. Thanks again!
Thanks for the comments kimchi! Some notes. I am working on bringing the screw in more, BUT, at this point I've screwed and unscrewed the Polycarbonate case more times than anyone should ever in the ownership time of a board. I torque them down with an electric usb screwdriver with a rated torque of 0.25-0.35/3N.m for any wizzes out there. Poly isn't as fragile as I think we've all thought, and thus fur have not been any issue :]

Check out the photo a few posts above for the encoder. You can see the encoder on the right side screwed in by a visible gold M3 screw. 2 of these screw it down near the back. Again, pretty safe honestly. Only time and testing will tell the truth!

Glad you like the color Kimchi! I'd love to talk about it! When I designed this board, I had a lot of awesome details in mind. I needed capabilities that say a local machine shop, or some online person with a cnc machine could ever provide. Things exactly like cnc'd and dyed Polycarbonate. I've been told by my manufacturer that they can order any dye I would like and tint it accordingly. The exact process is unknown to me, but they can do it. So I asked for a deep pink when prototyping it. So in a nutshell, how I dyed my Poly was by asking my manu to do it in that specific tint!

@Koobaczech where to get a 10u spacebar and wire?
Hey buddy. This particular one is OG GMK. It's really hard to find, you need to harvest it from rare vintage boards. Mine came off a Commodore. I think Deskthority has information on which board these will be. Note that the stab is unique and the pcb and plate have to support it, so If anyone wants to try and adapt one to their current builds, it probably won't work since I have never seen a custom mech support 10u besides Pandora. I'd like to note my friend Kaazzeerr knows more on all of this and was the one who made 10u happen since he introduced it to me. His collection/knowledge of vintage boards is wild.

No split space possibility?
Im sorry man, I don't think I'll add that in. BUT I will look over my pcb one more time for you and see if its feasible to rearrange the whole bottom. Most of my components are there.

Thanks everyone for checking in :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2020, 10:12:06 by Koobaczech »

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 11:15:45 »
Hey man! As someone pretty new to this hobby I love this design, willing to skip think and Noah for this if the price is right! Hopefully you can increase the number for moq for around the price of ~450$. I hope this is not too much to ask!

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 12:55:30 »
To degree sounds insane, how is it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:06:05 »
I would really love to see the screw holes not cutting into the bottom fillet.

Offline surreal19

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 21:22:40 »
how many units youre planning on aiming to sell for the limited GB? Love this keyboard!

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 01:06:19 »
Please let there be a dyed BURGUNDY polycarb

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline bhombs_

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 02:25:09 »
I need this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 04:09:21 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 21:01:24 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 07:12:22 »
This thing is damn lovely  :eek:

Do you plan to visit other layouts with this concept in the future? i.e, 65/75%'s

Offline jed10116

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 18:52:04 »
I am loving the polycarb! I hope to get my hands on this :)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 19:40:44 »
Hey everyone. Revised the design with guiding tabs, smaller winglets, better top hole positions that don't cut into the fillet, and some minor tweaks. Submitted for a new prototype with the fixes and just continuing to figure out logistics and prices as we go!

Hey man! As someone pretty new to this hobby I love this design, willing to skip think and Noah for this if the price is right! Hopefully you can increase the number for moq for around the price of ~450$. I hope this is not too much to ask!
Welcome to the hobby bud, and glad to hear. Its all on you guys to hit the moq's, ill put my end in and keep the prices as low as possible :] Its never too much to ask. If it were up to me, every board would be free. I'm not running a business, I'm an enthusiast first, and I'm trying to run this as if I was a part of it too.

Ten* degree sounds insane, how is it?
Wonderful xD

I would really love to see the screw holes not cutting into the bottom fillet.
Zekkin! I sent you a dm in IG ages ago haha. But I've fixed the holes and some other stuff! Thanks for tuning in.

how many units youre planning on aiming to sell for the limited GB? Love this keyboard!
Trying to keep it limited, we will see!

OMG, welcome back!
GLWGB!
The design is not for me, but I dig the features.
Dang buddy, good seeing your name around again. Been years haha. Thank you for commenting! Lets keep in touch for real.

This thing is damn lovely  :eek:

Do you plan to visit other layouts with this concept in the future? i.e, 65/75%'s
Thanks chuletas!! For sure, have already been designing the 65 ;] The bigger they get the more expensive they are though, and with all the heat packing in these boards I think I'll go broke prototyping them all xD

I am loving the polycarb! I hope to get my hands on this :)
Thanks jed! Going to see what other colors I can make in PC! Someone wanted a burgandy and I personally want a teal so.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 07:36:14 »
A neon / lime green polycarb would look insane in this case 😁

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 08:04:47 »
A neon / lime green polycarb would look insane in this case
Seconded but in Alu haha

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Diamagisk

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 21:02:53 »
Love this so much, will 100% be in if I get the chance depending on how the GB is run. Love the iterations you've made. Can't wait for this!

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 21:46:38 »
Love the 60% board, the design is nice. Are you planning to run 65% right after this? If yes, then I will jump on that and skip this one.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 22:10:56 »
[prays for red]

I need something to pair with the GMK Classic Red.

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 01:51:10 »
Oh. The bottom says K for Keycult. Nice.

Offline PixelOps

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 05:22:08 »
EU proxy pls, customs and taxes will crash our wallets

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:33:47 »
Thanks for the continued interest everyone!<3

A neon / lime green polycarb would look insane in this case 😁
Got a Pantone? :]
Love the 60% board, the design is nice. Are you planning to run 65% right after this? If yes, then I will jump on that and skip this one.
Thank you! I am working on a 65 now as well for myself, and I'm sure I might run something else soon, but an immediate run is likely a no. I only make these boards from time to time and they are very limited and special!

[prays for red]
Give me a Pantone so I can look into it please :]

EU proxy pls, customs and taxes will crash our wallets
Hey Pixel. Lots of wonderful vendors/distributors have reached out to me already! I definitely plan on pairing up and making an A team for you guys!

In the meantime, I've been making a lot of personal Pandora builds and testing out different plate/foam combinations and trying to find any flaws/caveats and whats good or bad or what. Made a lot of minor changes to the board and got a final prototype being made right now with the changes some requested and some I added in. Also been working on QMK for both the Hotswap and Solder pcb. Just waiting for QMK to be approved and merged, then going to open a request for VIA. Also during my PCB turnkey quote, I was told that for a matte black pcb, some spacing changes needed to be made since apparently it matters. So had to do a minor hub redesign. Still undecided on final pcb solder mask color. But just chugging along fellas. Making sure things are right before GB, and still lots to do. Cheers everyone!

More pics as always of the Space Gray unit with og NCR Dyseub keyset. Follow me on IG @Koobaczech for Pandora content!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 21:35:33 »
[prays for red]
Give me a Pantone so I can look into it please :]

PANTONE 185 C  :)

Offline Dabxcity

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 03:58:45 »
Man I really cant wait for this board. A PC case with the color purple like Gengar, just to match my artisan keycap.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 09:48:20 »
Have any renders or will there be a proto of the board with hhkb blockers.

Great work on this

Offline honopolist

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 15:42:16 »
Very interested!
Beautiful! Great work!

Offline isaiasr212

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 00:54:24 »
Still looking forward to that paint splatter. Definitely looking to purchase more than one Pandora’s in different colorways <3

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 11:34:16 »
Definitely interested. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the visibly exposed PCB view on the bottom yet. Dope work nevertheless, all the prototypes you've made look amazing.

Edit: Just saw the redesigned bottom and I think it's much much better now!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2020, 15:44:04 by iamacicada »

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 11:59:08 »
Definitely interested. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the visibly exposed PCB view on the bottom yet. Dope work nevertheless, all the prototypes you've made look amazing.

I'm assuming that's for underglow?

OP, will there be a translucent strip to cover those slots?

Offline Dellinav

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 16:36:17 »
Blue or Smoky Black PC would be amazing :thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 11:02:03 »
Hello everyone! Appreciate the comments and feedback! Just answering some questions, the winglets are for RGB underglow and will be fully open. Here are some renders I mocked up for fun for everyone asking for different PC colors and HHKB! I think different PC colors should be possible, but the colors could be off, like slightly darker or lighter etc!

As a note, the special Koob party paint/splatter paint everyone is referring to is something I did myself by hand. Its not available from any manu, but I can certainly paint yours by hand if you trust me lmao. Its on my original Pandora, not to be confused with the reworked one you see today.

HHKB vs WKL in pantone 185C

185C Renders and winglets

And blue and green polycarbonate ;]

Final note, waiting on one more prototype in a red/brass that is NOT 185C, and then will plan on launching GB AFTER finalizing pricing, design, amounts to sell and proxies! Cheers everyone!

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 11:06:03 »

As a note, the special Koob party paint/splatter paint everyone is referring to is something I did myself by hand. Its not available from any manu, but I can certainly paint yours by hand if you trust me lmao. Its on my original Pandora, not to be confused with the reworked one you see today.
Show Image

I trust you and want it very much. Thanks !

Looks super special and nice.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 11:11:43 »
I trust you and want it very much. Thanks !

Looks super special and nice.
Haha oh boy, this is gonna be fun! Thank you mamba, appreciate you :thumb:

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 05:09:58 »
Show Image

:eek: want want want want want

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website