Author Topic: [IC] Midas DSA (Looking for renders/GB partner)  (Read 12766 times)

Offline JDragon

[IC] Midas DSA (Looking for renders/GB partner)
« on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:08:59 »
10/12/2016 Update - looking for someone that can help me with renders, as well as an experienced GB lead

Please fill out my feedback-gathering Google Form! https://goo.gl/forms/LRLySQHOLcWtqUzH3

Midas DSA: "A Touch of Gold"

First interest check, bear with me and please let me know if there's anything I'm missing or doing wrong. Very, very open to suggestions.

My goal with this keycap set is to make a simple, elegant set in the timeless black and gold colorway. The set will be in SP doubleshot DSA profile, using ABS color codes NN and YG. (All colors from: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/colors/)

The base kit is meant to support standard ANSI 60% and TKL layouts. It also includes a 1.75u Shift and 1u Fn to support the popular split right shift layout, as well as a stepped caps lock. Scooped/non-scooped F and J keys are included. The base colorway is simple gold on black (with a gold spacebar and Esc), as I feel that this is the least gaudy color scheme. All modifier legends will be in all caps per SP's usual DSA lettering.

The numpad kit is fairly standard.

The adapter kit is meant to support some of the more common layouts. The key sizes go, by row, 1u, 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u and 7u.

New to this iteration - I've split out the ISO kit into a separate kit. Standard UK ISO keys included - I'm not an ISO user so please let me know if there are any changes to be made here.

Additional homing keys to support additional layouts.

Here's a 40% kit.

And an Ergodox kit.

A blank kit, with VE.A spacebars and some other filler keys.

Finally, we have two alternate color kits available. The first adds golden alphas + function keys for a brighter experience.

The second is a gray modifier kit. (I only work in black... and sometimes very, very dark gray.) Color code here is GB.

Finally, a picture of the actual color chips:

IMO, YG and NN look like the best candidates for a black/gold look, but please let me know if you feel otherwise. An album with all the relevant SP color chips is here: http://imgur.com/a/YFu3z

Things to be worked on:

1. Novelties
2. SP Price Check

Please let me know your thoughts, thank you!

EDIT: Suggestions to be implemented:

1. Gold enter key and gold arrow keys as suggested by /r/hervuli Done!
2. Split out ISO kit, add remaining UK ISO keys as pointed out by /u/awjc Done!
3. Deus Ex-related novelty as suggested by /u/swimming-bird and many others - 2 1.25u triangle keys, 2 1u triangle keys 
4. Alternate modifier kit - dark gray as suggested by /u/Sitiak_  Done!
5. Switch stepped caps lock into the base kit as suggested by /u/PlainEminem Done!

Novelty Idea Ground:
1. Deus Ex Golden Triangle - no issues with this one, will definitely be in a potential novelty kit
2. Hand of Midas from DotA
3. Giant dollar sign
4. Bag of coins
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:53:55 by JDragon »

Offline Shados

Re: [IC] Midas DSA
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:17:36 »
I've been wanting a gold on black set, so I'm interested. You might wanna consider a black on gold alternate modifier set in addition to the alternate alpha set.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:18:57 »
I think gold is supposed to shine, and these won't so it'll be hard to look good in my opinion.

How come you have a gold backspace in the alt set?

Offline JDragon

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:28:27 »
I think gold is supposed to shine, and these won't so it'll be hard to look good in my opinion.

How come you have a gold backspace in the alt set?

Oops, that backspace isn't supposed to be in there. I was originally doing a full black on gold alternate kit and forgot to take that out.

It's ABS, so you can add your own shine. :P

In all seriousness though, I think non-shiny gold is fine as legends or accents (hence why the base kit is all gold on black). I feel like the contrast helps offset the lack of shininess.

I've been wanting a gold on black set, so I'm interested. You might wanna consider a black on gold alternate modifier set in addition to the alternate alpha set.

I was originally planning on that but didn't like the way it looked in KLE. Might be a good kit to have also if enough people are interested.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 19:17:49 »
As an avid Whitefox fan and user I appreciate the addition of the 1.75u!

I like this a lot, black on gold is a nice colour scheme that I've yet to get my hands on when it comes to key sets. Regarding shine I really don't mind, I actually think it looks best this way with a more muted colour feel to it, it's attractive whilst remaining discreet. Would match my QP1R quite nicely.

PS: I'd really like the gold alphas alt kit too, looks sassy.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 20:29:47 »
As an avid Whitefox fan and user I appreciate the addition of the 1.75u!

I like this a lot, black on gold is a nice colour scheme that I've yet to get my hands on when it comes to key sets. Regarding shine I really don't mind, I actually think it looks best this way with a more muted colour feel to it, it's attractive whilst remaining discreet. Would match my QP1R quite nicely.

Show Image

PS: I'd really like the gold alphas alt kit too, looks sassy.

Yeah, that's the elegant look I wanted to have. I took a lot of inspiration from HP's Spectre 13/x360 laptops:

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2016, 20:31:45 by JDragon »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 20:36:21 »
Definitely looks elegant. Almost like Skidata, but not really. Stands out on its own with the gold. Would be interesting to see how a flat gold would look like.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:20:33 »
love this. not much dark colors dsa around. good job!
would you consider maybe having some gold color mods as extra options?
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:25:06 »
Any novelties planned? Perhaps a Dota themed Midas key?  ;D
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline Liar

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:44:56 »
Lots of novelty options!

Gold Coins, Bars, Medal, Tooth, Element Symbol
Maybe a large gold $

Fort Knox / Department of Treasury

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:46:56 »
Yeah, that's the elegant look I wanted to have. I took a lot of inspiration from HP's Spectre 13/x360 laptops:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd say you succeeded, and yea those Spectre notebooks look very cool.

As mentioned above by others, I'd be down for some novelties of sorts and possibly some gold colour mods child kit as well!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 00:44:04 »
Any novelties planned? Perhaps a Dota themed Midas key?  ;D

Hand of Midas would be great and common enough to hopefully dodge copyright violations and such.

Lots of novelty options!

Gold Coins, Bars, Medal, Tooth, Element Symbol
Maybe a large gold $

Fort Knox / Department of Treasury
Show Image

All great ideas! Giant dollar sign and Au would be easy for sure.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd say you succeeded, and yea those Spectre notebooks look very cool.

As mentioned above by others, I'd be down for some novelties of sorts and possibly some gold colour mods child kit as well!

I think there will be a gold mods child kit, and maybe even a gold on dark gray mod child kit. One of the folks over on /r/mk came up with these alternate color options and I'm really digging the pseudo-"Golden Dolch" look: http://imgur.com/a/fYg3F

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 04:36:27 »
A 1.5u Backspace key to replace capslock for colemak/other users would be great :)

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 11:40:55 »
Novelties: gold bar, gold nugget   ;D

You'll have to really nail the yellow on this or it won't come out looking like gold; it'll just be yellow on black.  Plastic doesn't easily resemble shiny metals without some sort of coating.  Maybe a custom color is in order?

Edit: This monitor isn't calibrated, but perhaps something like Pantone 116 U could be close enough.  The more saturated the better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 11:45:17 by Data »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 12:39:01 »
Novelties: gold bar, gold nugget   ;D

You'll have to really nail the yellow on this or it won't come out looking like gold; it'll just be yellow on black.  Plastic doesn't easily resemble shiny metals without some sort of coating.  Maybe a custom color is in order?

Edit: This monitor isn't calibrated, but perhaps something like Pantone 116 U could be close enough.  The more saturated the better.

Thanks!

I think there's enough interest in this to warrant me ordering some color chips from SP to see how they look irl. I'm not sure on how SP handles custom colors and would love if anyone who has experience in this regards could chime in.

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 14:12:41 »
OMG, this is exactly what I'm working on.

but my idea was SA, wanted to post the IC after the Odysseus 209

this is what I currently have,still working on other child kits and novelties.

147680-0

Offline JDragon

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 14:50:36 »

(Attachment Link)

Great minds... ;)

I favor DSA though; I was thinking low profile looks a little more elegant in conjunction with the all gold on black look. SA would probably look better with the staggered colors though, since I always felt SA was particularly well suited for more colorful sets while DSA looks better with more muted sets imo

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:16:08 »

(Attachment Link)

Great minds... ;)

I favor DSA though; I was thinking low profile looks a little more elegant in conjunction with the all gold on black look. SA would probably look better with the staggered colors though, since I always felt SA was particularly well suited for more colorful sets while DSA looks better with more muted sets imo

Agree, but I prefer SA tho, I'm really a SA lover. BTW, I wanna ask if you are ok with me keep working on my set since we share the same colorway and you have started a IC first.

I had this idea in mind since 2 months ago, had no time for this due to the SA-Camping GB and Odysseus 209. The main colorway I've chosen is YG/NN, hope that you are fine with that. My inspiration comes from something else. And the current plan is to do the GB with MD, so I guess it won't be dropped until end of this year.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:22:49 by kingnestea »

Offline CosmosAtlas

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:19:07 »
It looks pretty good. I am definitely interested.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:28:38 »
I'd personally be down for both the DSA and SA sets regardless of them sharing very similar colours!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 16:33:04 »

(Attachment Link)

Great minds... ;)

Agree, but I prefer SA tho, I'm really a SA lover. BTW, I wanna ask if you are ok with me keep working on my set since we share the same colorway and you have started a IC first.

I had this idea in mind since 2 months ago, had no time for this due to the SA-Camping GB and Odysseus 209. The main colorway I've chosen is YG/NN, hope that you are fine with that. My inspiration comes from something else. And the current plan is to do the GB with MD, so I guess it won't be dropped until end of this year.

I don't mind! The more keysets that are out there, the better. Hopefully we can learn from each others' designs.

I've already ordered some color chips from SP and will be taking photos of them w/ each other to help compare colors to use.

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 18:41:49 »

(Attachment Link)

Great minds... ;)

I don't mind! The more keysets that are out there, the better. Hopefully we can learn from each others' designs.

I've already ordered some color chips from SP and will be taking photos of them w/ each other to help compare colors to use.

Glad to hear that.  :D

I'll surely keep this post watched

Offline yookwh

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 22:24:27 »
Very awesome. Will keep checking regularly on this.

Offline JDragon

Re: [IC] Midas DSA (Kits Updated 9/13, color chips coming soon)
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 13:25:40 »
Kits have been updated. My color chips have also arrived and I will be snapping pictures of them soon.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 14:46:13 »
Kits have been updated. My color chips have also arrived and I will be snapping pictures of them soon.

Kits are looking great (the dark grey mods are a good idea, "gold dolch" could catch on!), was wondering when there'd be an update on this, thank you for continuing to work on it.

Looking forward to the pictures of the color chips, hope they look awesome.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 20:06:28 »
I'd be interested especially if there will be Deus Ex novelties
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline JDragon

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:31:18 »

Right now I just have a plain golden triangle envisioned - anything else from Deus Ex that would make sense and wouldn't be too close to copyright violation? I'm not familiar with the franchise but on the IC both here and on reddit, many people mentioned that they'd like Deus Ex novelties.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:41:03 »

Right now I just have a plain golden triangle envisioned - anything else from Deus Ex that would make sense and wouldn't be too close to copyright violation? I'm not familiar with the franchise but on the IC both here and on reddit, many people mentioned that they'd like Deus Ex novelties.
I was mostly thinking of the triangles, but now I'm curious how far this can be pushed, lol
There are some icons for some of the augmentations in the latest game here http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Augmentations_(DXMD), but I do like this hacking/fortify symbol http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/File:Aug_hacking_fortify.png, though it might be a bit difficult to get such detail onto a key and would probably have to be simplified
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:58:24 »

The triangle is what came to mind right away - I don't know how copyright would work exactly but another thing that I envisioned was the silhouette of Adam Jensen since the outlines are pretty unique on the character,

Could do another of just his robotic arm too, since that's very iconic as well.

As said though, I have no idea how far copyright infringements go but a silhouette is pretty vague as is a cyborg's hand.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 13:51:36 »

The triangle is what came to mind right away - I don't know how copyright would work exactly but another thing that I envisioned was the silhouette of Adam Jensen since the outlines are pretty unique on the character,

Show Image

Could do another of just his robotic arm too, since that's very iconic as well.

As said though, I have no idea how far copyright infringements go but a silhouette is pretty vague as is a cyborg's hand.

Those glasses look pretty distinctive, if I could get a vector of the silhouette of those that would definitely be a candidate.

Google Form and color info added!

Offline JDragon

Re: [IC] Midas DSA (Google Form Added 9/20)
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 01:22:22 »
Anyone know the best way to handle novelties for KLE or transmitting to SP?

Offline JDragon

Re: [IC] Midas DSA (Kits Updated 10/4)
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 02:30:05 »
Added in 40%, Ergodox, and Blank Kit. I think we're very close to the final kits here once I get some novelties worked out.

Thank you to everyone who's completed the IC form so far; you've been a great help. If you haven't, please provide your input. :)

Offline wongie

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 04:24:52 »
This set can't come soon enough!

Offline Shados

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 05:22:18 »
Given you're calling the set 'Midas', might be a good idea to have some other Greek-mythology-focused icons, e.g. both the Nemean lion and the winged ram had golden fur/fleece, also golden apples in multiple myths.

More generic novelty ideas: a set of scales, a crown, a throne, a chest, an ankh. Might wanna consider including a bee just in case someone wants to use the set as a nicer bumblebee set :P.

Offline wongie

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 07:08:24 »
Shados brings up a great suggestion with Greek mythology. This colourway was made for it. A meader pattern might work well.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 07:18:37 by wongie »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:50:44 »
Shados brings up a great suggestion with Greek mythology. This colourway was made for it. A meader pattern might work well.

Show Image

Show Image

That's pretty neat! Hoping SP can pull that off.

Latest update: I've submitted the set (without novelties) to SP to review and all the kits as-is should be ok for production. Now seeking renders and a GB partner as I'm definitely not equipped to run a GB.

Offline ishtob

Re: [IC] Midas DSA (Looking for renders/GB partner)
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 20:55:43 »
have you considered a transparent yellow? less gaudy without backlight, full in your face shininess with backlight

Offline JDragon

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:12:46 »
have you considered a transparent yellow? less gaudy without backlight, full in your face shininess with backlight

I don't think SP has transparent plastic available for the double shot process. :(

Offline zslane

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:31:11 »
It's like a gold version of PuLsE. Could be an interesting companion set to PuLsE if you go with SA.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 19:41:39 »

I don't think SP has transparent plastic available for the double shot process. :(
they have done it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline JDragon

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 19:56:05 »

they have done it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really? Do you know which set? If they could doubleshot backlit DSA/SA, it seems like there would be a huge market for that. I've only seen GITD legends.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:27:09 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66851.msg1573068#msg1573068

check out the nuka cola and irradiated child set on these novelties.

I believe techkeys.usalso used to have a set with transparent orange polycarbonate legends