Author Topic: Nooby Keycap Edition - First Timer  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
Nooby Keycap Edition - First Timer
« on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:56:27 »
The more I read stuff about people making their own artisan keycaps (or the fact that there isn't much available in my area), the more I got inspired to make my own as well.

I am so far behind since I barely have the proper equipment (pressure pots. I'm forced to pray to the bubble gods just so I could have a smooth finish (no luck on that either :( ) Here is the first batch I was able to make and hopefully I could get better  :D

and then there's this gem  ^-^

I mean, look at that hole lol

But yea... hoping to get better in time and finally be able to apply the designs that I really wanna do  ^-^ (and maybe make not only the girliest but the cutest keycap you'll ever see   :)) )

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2016, 17:25:25 by Meika »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: Nooby Keycap Edition - First Timer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 01:20:19 »
Good luck!

Offline alveeno

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 03:19:02 »
Not bad! You'll probably want to reinforce the undersides of those caps and the walls next

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:22:46 »
Thank you! :D

And you're right about the sides. I honestly want to make a good blank first before I proceed to sculpting (totally not bcos of my OCD kicking in.Nope.) I still have so much to learn but it's nice to hear support from people  ^-^

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:03:04 »
After a while of contemplating what I should sculpt, I finally decided to make a jellyfish. I tried to capture its same clear glow and just played around with the dyes that I have.

Here is the original sculpted clay:

and here it is, with the resin version on my keyboard. Room lights on:

and then with the lights off:

Still a lot to learn in making models since some parts broke off. Apparently I made the head part too thin that the mold barely formed around it but I think it looks okay. In the dark   :))

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 09:58:28 »
Hello! So here's a little update. I made a piggy yesterday and I thought I'd share it.

I forgot how fun it was to make figures using polymer clay but it's not so easy to turn them into a keycap. Some of the problems I encounter is that its too big or that it's too protruding that either the resin/mold couldn't fully form around it (not to forget those irritating bubbles rawr). So here I am, back at doing the simple stuff first. Hopefully in the future I can make something as detailed as what the others do.

My next aim is to make a rooster for the incoming Lunar year  ^-^

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 10:56:59 »
Hey nice work so far! Those jelly fish are looking sweet.
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 11:01:18 »
Hello! So here's a little update. I made a piggy yesterday and I thought I'd share it.

Show Image

I forgot how fun it was to make figures using polymer clay but it's not so easy to turn them into a keycap. Some of the problems I encounter is that its too big or that it's too protruding that either the resin/mold couldn't fully form around it (not to forget those irritating bubbles rawr). So here I am, back at doing the simple stuff first. Hopefully in the future I can make something as detailed as what the others do.

These look better with the bubbles already! My tip is to stay away from transparent resin until you've gotten pressure equipment - it's close to impossible to remove bubbles in it, and the final turnout often turns out cloudy and unclean.

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:00:49 »
Hey nice work so far! Those jelly fish are looking sweet.

I swear, small encouragements like this is a big booster. Thank you! <3

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 13:02:36 »

Show Image

These look better with the bubbles already! My tip is to stay away from transparent resin until you've gotten pressure equipment - it's close to impossible to remove bubbles in it, and the final turnout often turns out cloudy and unclean.

Thank you! I really appreciate receiving advice from good makers like you :) I feel glad to be part of the community!

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:29:17 »
These instructions are for casting plaster for miniature scenery but a lot of the methods and procedures still apply. Make sure you check out the advanced casting to as there are some great tips on reducing bubbles to 0.

http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/casting.html

http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/advanced.html

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 06:02:21 »
These instructions are for casting plaster for miniature scenery but a lot of the methods and procedures still apply. Make sure you check out the advanced casting to as there are some great tips on reducing bubbles to 0.

thank you very much for these! :D

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:02:33 »

You are quite welcome. I'm a fan of art and look forward to you making great things.  :)  And if you have fun along the way even better. I don't have links handy but there are also a ton of special effects casting and molding videos on youtube. I watch a lot of them, every once in a while you will find a tip that you didn't know. Casting I can do, I probably need a whole lot of work as sculpting though.

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 10:30:53 »

You are quite welcome. I'm a fan of art and look forward to you making great things.  :)  And if you have fun along the way even better. I don't have links handy but there are also a ton of special effects casting and molding videos on youtube. I watch a lot of them, every once in a while you will find a tip that you didn't know. Casting I can do, I probably need a whole lot of work as sculpting though.

Oh man, that's so encouraging coming from you ❤ Thank you. I actually am having fun making these things and when I'm in the zone, I just keep on sculpting different kinds (altho for now, only one ever survives the mold/resin test lol) I will definitely look at those casting effects. I'm not saying I'm a pro on sculpting but it really is with casting that I need more experience. Again, thank you!  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 13:39:31 »
Hello!

Because of the incoming Lunar New Year, I decided to make my own Year of the Rooster keycap :D

It was my first time to do some coloring using resin, and well, it was too late til I learned that I had to wait, not half cured but fully, before I could pour the next colored resin. Another day of higher learning  :))

But at least the butt stem was good :D Although I think I did some mistake with the color that's why the lower part had that effect. The white part tried to bubble out of the blue color (I swear I used green but it turned blue!)

Cheers to less holey bubbles!  ^-^

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 14:50:29 »
The lessions never stop. Even though the bottom of this cap didn't turned out the way you planned I think it looks really kewl.  A happy accident you may want to try and recreate.
It's a very cute cap. I like this design better than the jelly rooster.
Keep up the good work! I'm loving the progress.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 23:02:10 »
Hello!

Because of the incoming Lunar New Year, I decided to make my own Year of the Rooster keycap :D

Show Image

It was my first time to do some coloring using resin, and well, it was too late til I learned that I had to wait, not half cured but fully, before I could pour the next colored resin. Another day of higher learning  :))

But at least the butt stem was good :D Although I think I did some mistake with the color that's why the lower part had that effect. The white part tried to bubble out of the blue color (I swear I used green but it turned blue!)
Show Image

That's a pretty cute rooster you got there.

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 07:55:26 »
The lessions never stop. Even though the bottom of this cap didn't turned out the way you planned I think it looks really kewl.  A happy accident you may want to try and recreate.
It's a very cute cap. I like this design better than the jelly rooster.
Keep up the good work! I'm loving the progress.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST COMPLIMENT EVER  :eek: Thank you!  :-*

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 07:56:38 »
Hello!

Show Image

Show Image

That's a pretty cute rooster you got there.

I'm planning to remake it and add a little more details but I'm happy you noticed  ^-^ Thank you!

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 10:52:39 »
Hello!

Here I am again, trying something new. I have been fascinated with raw crystals ever since I discovered them. I tried researching before how I could recreate it but the materials needed weren't available locally. Then I discovered resin and it's like the magic tool I have always needed! And yknow, why not make it a keycap?  ^-^

Hope you like it as much as I do!   :)

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 15:35:26 »
Your stuff is looking pretty nice  :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 17:54:19 »
I really love that crystal design. I'd love to see those in different colours on a board.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 01:24:01 »
I like the crystal idea. The color is nice and vibrant. Next step make it glow?!?!

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:23:58 »
Your stuff is looking pretty nice  :thumb:

thank you very much! ❤

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:24:43 »
I really love that crystal design. I'd love to see those in different colours on a board.

Yessssssss. That's the plan. Gonna make sapphire, emerald etc :D thank you!

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 09:26:05 »
I like the crystal idea. The color is nice and vibrant. Next step make it glow?!?!

Yes o7 I am currently playing with colors right now and testing them to see how to make them glow real good! Thank you! ❤

Offline swangful

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 21:15:00 »
After a while of contemplating what I should sculpt, I finally decided to make a jellyfish. I tried to capture its same clear glow and just played around with the dyes that I have.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is awesome!!!

I imagine any board with a LED breathing function can really make this cap come alive.

Still a lot to learn in making models since some parts broke off. Apparently I made the head part too thin that the mold barely formed around it but I think it looks okay. In the dark   :))

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 13:59:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is awesome!!!

I imagine any board with a LED breathing function can really make this cap come alive.

It does, yea  :D I was just staring at the crystal keycap that I made with the breathing function on my mkb just now and it reminds me of those game/anime scenes that involves magic  ^-^ Thank you btw!!

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 08:02:51 »
There are some good days and there are some bad days when your mold decides to f u up.

Color was on point but somehow didn't cure right:

I still think it's cute tho heh.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 19:49:50 »
There are some good days and there are some bad days when your mold decides to f u up.

Show Image

I totally feel you there. I just had a batch of sexy space caps come out with some soft bits :(
I still think it looks cute too! I quite enjoy this design, awesome photo as well. Keep up the good work!

Offline Wylte

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 21:16:48 »

Show Image

Very cool, glad to see an update!  Hope more casts are coming out good than bad, at least.
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:44:46 »

Show Image

I totally feel you there. I just had a batch of sexy space caps come out with some soft bits :(
I still think it looks cute too! I quite enjoy this design, awesome photo as well. Keep up the good work!

Noooo! Not the space caps! I love those work of yours. I guess this is the hard part of handmade stuff. These past month where I have been continually sculpting and casting made me realize how hard this is (esp that time I did 5 castings at the same time and they were all screwed up bcos of one little mistake I did). The effort and time poured into it is tough but once you see the final product, makes it all worth it. It really is a learning process.