Author Topic: Potential community sale...  (Read 61443 times)

Offline JoeriW

Re: Potential community sale...
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 15:59:08 »
I find it very strange to just give it away like that without giving the other interested parties a chance to bid. Zeal got lucky he posted first but if I was one of the interested I would be pretty pissed right now.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 15:59:52 »
I was mostly joking a bit, although I have every confidence in necromanx. Having that said, it’s a bit weird to me how this went from “let’s find a solution” to “whoever is the fastest with money gets it”. But I’m in no position to say anything about that really. All I can do is say I’m glad that it works out for you iMav and I hope that Zeal only makes changes that will improve it for the better of us all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:02:27 »
I find it very strange to just give it away like that without giving the other interested parties a chance to bid. Zeal got lucky he posted first but if I was one of the interested I would be pretty pissed right now.

Not pissed at all.  I find it odd and even a tad scared by that motion. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:03:56 »
I vote Necromanx

i think zeal has a better knowledge of how the site/community works

I am not even contesting that ;-)

if you did i'd just direct people's attention to post count
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:09:13 »
Looking forward to how this will turn out, good luck Zeal!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:19:15 »
I can only hope whoever ends up the new site owner will have the site's best interests in mind and will be a known entity with a positive history of involvement in the site, not a relatively (or entirely) unknown entity.  I'm glad to see Zeal toss his name into the hat.  I have personally seen a highly popular site fail when its owner silently sold it to a commercial company who had other plans for monetizing the traffic and knowledge base of the community.  The core community ended up moving to a new site, and the original site basically withered and died.  I also echo the earlier sentiment that some advance notice of this situation would have been common courtesy to offer at least to the moderation and administration team and also would have quite probably avoided the current predicament.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:26:26 »
I vote Necromanx

he said knowledge about the site, not time wasted on it.

Offline Koriko

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:27:49 »
I will but this out there. The first offer of $15k will take it.  (regardless of any other offers)

Done.
Congrats!

I vote Necromanx

Post count means nothing in terms of understanding how things work.

I was mostly joking a bit, although I have every confidence in necromanx. Having that said, it’s a bit weird to me how this went from “let’s find a solution” to “whoever is the fastest with money gets it”. But I’m in no position to say anything about that really. All I can do is say I’m glad that it works out for you iMav and I hope that Zeal only makes changes that will improve it for the better of us all :)

I'm sure Zeal will do just fine, given his tenure in the community.

I can only hope whoever ends up the new site owner will have the site's best interests in mind and will be a known entity with a positive history of involvement in the site, not a relatively (or entirely) unknown entity.  I'm glad to see Zeal toss his name into the hat.  I have personally seen a highly popular site fail when its owner silently sold it to a commercial company who had other plans for monetizing the traffic and knowledge base of the community.  The core community ended up moving to a new site, and the original site basically withered and died.  I also echo the earlier sentiment that some advance notice of this situation would have been common courtesy to offer at least to the moderation and administration team and also would have quite probably avoided the current predicament.
This. The community could have definitely come up with a solution sooner if the community knew sooner. Not much can be done now that the problem is here. In the future, migrating off of 1&1 and lowering costs should still be a priority though.

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:49:00 »
I am very confident that Zeal will threat this community the way it should and has absolutely no ill intentions.   So no need to question who what and why.  Imav will have his reasons for doing this fast and I am behind Zeal from now on.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:01:17 »
I'm relatively new to the community compared to some but I just want to take this thread to put to words how awesome this site is. In the days of instant content and low effort posts on sites like Reddit, geekhack has been a god send. It's amazing at facilitating long term projects/showcases. I've learned a lot about PCB design, keyboard design, and other topics here.

I don't know how Zeal plans to monetize if he does or if he's just going to tank the server costs to support the community.

I would like to put the suggestion out there that a "pro" version of the site with animated avatar/other cosmetic only benefits would be a good idea. I do not like the idea of adding a "pro" version to be able to run GBs, be a vendor, etc I think that would hurt the community that makes this site special.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:02:23 »
I'm relatively new to the community compared to some but I just want to take this thread to put to words how awesome this site is. In the days of instant content and low effort posts on sites like Reddit, geekhack has been a god send. It's amazing at facilitating long term projects/showcases. I've learned a lot about PCB design, keyboard design, and other topics here.

I don't know how Zeal plans to monetize if he does or if he's just going to tank the server costs to support the community.

I would like to put the suggestion out there that a "pro" version of the site with animated avatar/other cosmetic only benefits would be a good idea. I do not like the idea of adding a "pro" version to be able to run GBs, be a vendor, etc I think that would hurt the community that makes this site special.

$5 a month "plus" options have been popular all over the web
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Spaghetti

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:14:09 »
I feel like 10k is an extreme lowball offer for such an established forum in a rapidly growing hobby/market

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:34:44 »
I will say to look at what happened with Deskthority if you're thinking about transferring it to the community- they started out with an elaborate "let's do everything above the board" legal club structure and that added a fair bit of overhead.  They eventually just folded back into a "one guy owns it and takes donations" model.  Not sure what sort of hassles would be involved in setting up a non-profit in the US to run GH.

I wonder if it would be too absurd to ask the party interested in purchasing to make themselves known and pitch to the community.  That would let us have a window into their motives and the ability to theorize 'is this firm likely to be a trustworthy partner for many years, or are they just trying to buy relevance in a trend, then drop it all for fidget spinners next month?"

That was more involved than that.  It basically went back to the previous owner when no one that was a member of 'the club' was actually doing anything, other than the previous owner.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:49:11 »
I will but this out there. The first offer of $15k will take it.  (regardless of any other offers)

Done.

That was fast.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 17:54:16 »
Best of luck to Zeal  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:06:37 »
Best of luck to Zeal  :thumb:

Ditto.

Though I won't lie, the "sold to the first to bid x" part would've been quite worrisome if someone that isn't Zeal (or other trustworthy, long time participants) were to have called dibs.

PS: Potentially obsolete at this point but I believe David/Necro (and mykeyboard in general) could also add a lot to the community, I'm absolutely not disputing Zeal's competence, I just mean that a change like this may open up doors for collaborations, ease of communication, etc. if more than one entity is allowed to be involved in any sort of capacity.

Offline mstarr

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:10:56 »
Why are you selling the site? Do you not realize how much monetizing potential there is without fundamentally changing the site?  The majority of users have much disposable income and like to flex their e-peen.  Sell flairs or icons next to our name, take a cut from the hyper-inflated keycap market, offering creators / resellers advanced metrics in exchange, anything but selling it for cheap to a third party.  At least make sure it is an active community member that has less interest in turning a profit and more keeping the community alive.  I don't post much, but I do like reading, and I definitely don't want to be stuck reading the dribble of r/mechanicalkeyboards. 

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:23:06 »
Sell flairs or icons next to our name, take a cut from the hyper-inflated keycap market

I'll hire you instantly if I ever need a site be driven into the ground.

Offline mstarr

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:48:31 »
Sell flairs or icons next to our name, take a cut from the hyper-inflated keycap market

I'll hire you instantly if I ever need a site be driven into the ground.

Would you prefer a more insidious and non-transparent method in funding the site?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:56:14 »
So geekhack should run much smoother now. Nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:58:33 »
I’m pretty disappointed with how this has all played out. I have absolutely no issues with Zeal, but we’re now in a position where a vendor owns the site, which completely goes against the conflict of interest policies we’ve been operating under. I just really don’t understand why the mod team couldn’t be included in this in any capacity, I’m sure we could have found some alternate solutions to weigh in addition...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:03:48 »

Done.

I, for one, welcome our new overlord.

In all seriousness, I think new ownership would be a very good thing. I would only hope that GH is not auctioned off to the highest bidder. Zeal seems cool. Others, not so much.

The process in this thread is emblematic of why I think GH needs new ownership.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:05:58 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:15:47 »
I’m pretty disappointed with how this has all played out. I have absolutely no issues with Zeal, but we’re now in a position where a vendor owns the site, which completely goes against the conflict of interest policies we’ve been operating under. I just really don’t understand why the mod team couldn’t be included in this in any capacity, I’m sure we could have found some alternate solutions to weigh in addition...

You've been great to quote today. Read my mind.

Bad situation all around, but I'm glad that Zeal is actually aware of what happens on the site, so I do look forward to seeing things improve.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:16:34 »

Done.

I, for one, welcome our new overlord.

In all seriousness, I think new ownership would be a very good thing. I would only hope that GH is not auctioned off to the highest bidder. Zeal seems cool. Others, not so much.

The process in this thread is emblematic of why I think GH needs new ownership.

looks like im agreeing with one of proximity's posts again

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:17:05 »
RIP ">>>Deals<<<" 2014-2018  :'(
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:17:57 »

it's been just "deals" for months now

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:18:35 »

it's been just "deals" for months now
It just don't feel the same, I should have seen this coming
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:21:25 »

I don't believe there is a long list of interested folks that could post up the requisite amount of money.  Note, the company that was willing to pay $10k gave me a limited timeframe...so, my urgency to sell to the community is based on that. 

Are you willing to pay more than $15k?  If not, then your objection is mere noise.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:22:27 »
I don't believe there is a long list of interested folks that could post up the requisite amount of money.  Note, the company that was willing to pay $10k gave me a limited timeframe...so, my urgency to sell to the community is based on that. 

Are you willing to pay more than $15k?  If not, then your objection is mere noise.

Has any decision/sale been made at this point?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:26:45 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:27:10 »

That link has generated ZERO money, just so you know...

I won't disagree.  I worked hard to get this community off the ground...  The first 3-4 years was me posting and a handful of others...then it took off! 

Those that joined the community post-2010 have no clue what I put into the community.  I gave away (out of my own pocket) nearly $10k of keyboards to great contributors.  I built up the largest, english-speaking keyboard community on the web.  (note, Deskthority, and several other sites were built on the shoulders of what we did here)

Offline Chigorin

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:27:53 »

Yes, I'd be willing to pay more than $15K, but I'd need some details on site metrics. DM me if it's still available

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:34:12 »

I won't disagree.  I worked hard to get this community off the ground...  The first 3-4 years was me posting and a handful of others...then it took off! 

Those that joined the community post-2010 have no clue what I put into the community.  I gave away (out of my own pocket) nearly $10k of keyboards to great contributors.  I built up the largest, english-speaking keyboard community on the web.  (note, Deskthority, and several other sites were built on the shoulders of what we did here)
iMav this place wouldn't exist without you and I'm sad to see you have to part ways with the forum like this.

My post was tongue in cheek as zeal has had multiple mx compatible switch variants made that are known for how smooth they are.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:40:49 »
Sad to see GH go down like this. It was nice while it lasted.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:44:04 »

iMav this place wouldn't exist without you and I'm sad to see you have to part ways with the forum like this.

My post was tongue in cheek as zeal has had multiple mx compatible switch variants made that are known for how smooth they are.

lol

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:46:09 »

Uhh what? Not sure how I got misquoted here... That comment was from a totally different person.

Offline Colourr

• no worries
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:48:05 »

Done.

the man, the myth, the legend.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:00:01 »
Would have been nice not to get blindsided like this, just like with >>>DEALS<<<.  I PMed saying I would contribute to a community-led offer, but received no response.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:02:41 »
Welcome to Zeekhack.org everyone

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Potential community sale...
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:05:14 »

It is kind of strange that the mod team wasn’t consulted or informed about any of this before a post was made. Also it’s kind of crazy how fast this transaction has happened. It’s not my business, or my website, but still strange.

Also, I completely agree about it probably not being a good idea for a community vendor to own the site itself. I love Zeal and I think that he’s probably very capable, but I almost think that our reaction to immediately buy the site was a knee-jerk reaction in order to keep it from falling into possibly nefarious hands, due to how this transaction was starting to look. I think in this situation it could have been much, much worse. I’m actually grateful somebody was even given a chance to buy the site, as we have no idea who the other party was or their intentions.

I think that Geekhack has an incredibly bright future, and that’s all I want for it. I spend a lot of time here and I can’t imagine life without it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:08:02 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:19:21 »
I think that a community buy could work. With a clock ticking, it is just not feasible.

It could simply be ran like a GB for a percentage stake. Obviously, there would have to be restrictions (% of ownership cap). I think a lot of people would put in money to keep the site going and the money would be raised quick. Then a President, VP and "Board of Directors" (I am good with the mods) could be voted in. Having more people in the know would help things like this in the future. As many others have stated, I would like things to stay the same BUT, as Zeal posted earlier, there are things that could be capitalized on. He mentioned merch, which I think is a great idea. I would buy some. There could be designs donated as well as monthly shirts and stickers that would never be sold again. There are also vendors, artisans etc. that could do monthly raffles to help with the site costs (I think I saw Kudos mention that in Slack).

I hope the outcome still allows us to be able to be apart of this community based forum. I do not make caps or sell anything kb related etc. But I could help financially, with designs and just over all business knowledge.

EDIT: Personally, I do not think Zeal buying it would be the worst thing. The reality of the community being able to own it seems like a pipe dream.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:24:33 by ArchDill »

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:21:33 »
Good on Zeal for stepping up and doing what I takes to keep the site alive and well. No clue why people have salty opinions about it to be honest. As far as I can tell Zeal has always been a stand-up vendor, and I'm pretty sure his interest in this site was one of keeping the community alive and well. Do I think he's gonna go around changing **** and paywalling stuff? No. That would kill his investment. The mods will be the same, the site will be the same, it might move to a new host but that's about it. Who cares if he's also a vendor? Makes no real difference in the end. So again, cool that someone wanted to step up and do what they could to keep this site going.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:29:46 »
Good on Zeal for stepping up and doing what I takes to keep the site alive and well. No clue why people have salty opinions about it to be honest. As far as I can tell Zeal has always been a stand-up vendor, and I'm pretty sure his interest in this site was one of keeping the community alive and well. Do I think he's gonna go around changing **** and paywalling stuff? No. That would kill his investment. The mods will be the same, the site will be the same, it might move to a new host but that's about it. Who cares if he's also a vendor? Makes no real difference in the end. So again, cool that someone wanted to step up and do what they could to keep this site going.

I think Zeal is a great member of the community, and I’m actually really glad he stepped up to buy it, given the circumstances. Not everyone in the community can do that with the snap of their fingers. It could have been anyone, and I’m just glad it fell into the hands of an honest community member.

I was merely voicing my sympathy towards the mods in this situation, and understanding their perspective on why they might not be pleased with a vendor taking over the site.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:32:59 »
Welp, there goes the cost of 1 day DHL shipping from Canadia.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:34:24 »

You've been great to quote today. Read my mind.

Bad situation all around, but I'm glad that Zeal is actually aware of what happens on the site, so I do look forward to seeing things improve.

I agree with all this. I'm very uncomfortable with a vendor owning the site, but it's done now so let's just hope this place doesn't lose it's magic.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:45:06 »
vendor =/= devil.

zeal is an enthusiast and community member like the rest of us. It was not a planned business venture, it was a time and place decision to secure the continuation of said community as it stands.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:51:04 »

I may not be as active as some, but it doesn't feel like people have an issue with Zeal specifically. Instead it's a combination of the sudden timing and the vendor aspect of it. I know on paper it doesn't sound like a big deal, but having been through similar in another hobby (autos/modding), I can tell you first hand that things can get messy fast. Even if said vendor is completely hands off and just pays the hosting fees, it opens the door for whispers of favoritism even if none exists. Or if say, "XYZ" random change is made to the site and it somehow affects "ABC" random vendor negatively. Even if it's an inadvertent thing, accusations and drama may ensue.

Mind you, these are just possibilities that open up when you have such a direct conflict of interest. If there was more time and more options, perhaps things would be different...and it's entirely possible that everything will go perfectly smooth if things continue as they are. That said, I can see the very real concerns that people have regarding this decision and don't blame them for bringing it up. I just hope we can keep it civil and realize that the end goal is keeping this great resource around for all of us.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:55:37 by SeedyOne »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:54:55 »
vendor =/= devil.

zeal is an enthusiast and community member like the rest of us. It was not a planned business venture, it was a time and place decision to secure the continuation of said community as it stands.

agree

zeal would be my pick over almost anyone

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:56:39 »
Plot twist Ripster buys GH.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 21:01:23 »
Firstly, I am grateful for iMav for building this community and forking out personal monthly expense to sustain the site. I think it must be super hard for him to sell it off - hey - who would want to see one's hardwork (which has no monetary returns) go to a company or other persons who are interested because of potential business opportunity, not because of the NGO and community? Secondly, I am glad Zeal stood up and went for it. Vendor or not vendor, he's known in GH and he appreciates how the community work so I think it will be in good hands.

If given time, having a few community people owning and running GH will be better but I am not sure how that will work out legally, I mean, how do you share ownership if it is not owned by a person or an entity?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 21:04:45 »
Plot twist Ripster buys GH.

Hahahaha.. I recall ripster is not particularly well coined.. 

But sure,  that would indeed be a major twist..

Tp4 has always been pro-ripstar..