Author Topic: what is the most expensive custom keyboard in this forum?  (Read 22746 times)

Offline sl70309

what is the most expensive custom keyboard in this forum?
« on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:43:52 »
i only saw one GB for $500 something keyboard, is there any keyboard in this forum over $500? please share link.

Thank you.

===============================================
June 28:

This post attracts people's attention.  :D

yes, i am talking about the most expensive board without keycaps and switches. the most expensive one i saw in this forum is Zephyr with $550 + shipping.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 18:33:22 by sl70309 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: what is the most expensive custom keyboard in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:46:48 »
yeah some folks have paid upwards of $1200 for specific limited edition OTD and other korean boards. sorry i don't have specifics.

before you ask, the answer is, no, there aren't really any compelling technical features that cause the price to jump (unless specific hardware ps2 support is worth over a thousand dollars to you) - its just a collector's market. they ARE nice keyboards though.

there are also a handful of non custom boards that are close to or over $500 (especially after import fees) -- see the uTron for example.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:54:45 »
My Hyper7 build was prob double that figure in prototype costs and keycaps and switches, but even that isn’t my most expensive board, nor one of the most expensive on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:56:08 »
My Hyper7 build was prob double that figure in prototype costs and keycaps and switches, but even that isn’t my most expensive board, nor one of the most expensive on here.

Show Image

absolute unit
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:57:22 »
Didn't someone post a picture a few years ago of a board with clacks for all the alphas? That's got to be up there if keycaps count.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline sl70309

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:00:05 »
yeah some folks have paid upwards of $1200 for specific limited edition OTD and other korean boards. sorry i don't have specifics.

before you ask, the answer is, no, there aren't really any compelling technical features that cause the price to jump (unless specific hardware ps2 support is worth over a thousand dollars to you) - its just a collector's market. they ARE nice keyboards though.

there are also a handful of non custom boards that are close to or over $500 (especially after import fees) -- see the uTron for example.

thanks. do you where to buy korean OTD keyboard?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:00:40 »

jesus christ what have i done

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:01:55 »

They are pretty rare but generally sell on MechMarket on Reddit. It won’t be easy to find one - they really are a collectors item these days.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:08:32 »

jesus christ what have i done

I saw it coming a mile away.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:19:43 »
$500?
While a lot for a keyboard and is certainly high end, that's bottom end of the exotic and upper end of the custom market,  before you start adding keycaps.

Honestly though... Why?
It's a keyboard, you can spend all of that and still be happier typing on something cheaper, especially if it's MX based. The only one who will care you spent $1200 on a keyboard is you (and possibly your spouse) and the person you bought it from.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:28:41 »
Pick the board that you like the aesthetics of. If you're lucky enough to not need to be concerned about cost, there are some great options out there. But don't assume that the most expensive board will be the one you like the most.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:34:06 »
Pick the board that you like the aesthetics of. If you're lucky enough to not need to be concerned about cost, there are some great options out there. But don't assume that the most expensive board will be the one you like the most.

i don't believe personal preference is a deciding factor for this person

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:46:50 »
i only saw one GB for $500 something keyboard, is there any keyboard in this forum over $500? please share link.

Thank you.

I am making a custom keyboard that will be priced at $1300, I'm pretty sure it will be the most expensive board on the forum.

Edit: I just found an OTD selling on MM for $1600, mine will now be priced at a cool $2k.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:53:27 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:50:16 »
I am making a custom keyboard that will be priced at $1300, I'm pretty sure it will be the most expensive board on the forum.

That's the spirit!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:53:12 »

Thank you.

i'll make you a custom keyboard for $1400. one of a kind, i promise

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:54:34 »

Thank you.

I updated my price to $2k after seeing an OTD on MM going for $1600. Trust me mine is worth it though, it will use aluminum!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:57:11 »

Thank you.

I updated my price to $2k after seeing an OTD on MM going for $1600. Trust me mine is worth it though, it will use aluminum!

i'll raise you $300 for a brass plate.

or $600 for crabon fibres

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:16:18 »

Aluminum?  Boooring.

How much was the all-brass version of the Orange 75 again?

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:19:53 »

Aluminum?  Boooring.

Did I say Aluminum? I meant Titanium!!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:47:38 »
people spend upwards of 10k on the 356cl, thats all I can think of

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:49:48 »
people spend upwards of 10k on the 356cl, thats all I can think of

I have never seen one go for anywhere even remotely near the 5 digit price. Link source?

Offline Nlight

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:44:10 »
A long time ago, a vaccum cleaner has been built out of Arianne rocket's metal and sold at more than 10K  :))

Aluminum?  Boooring.

Did I say Aluminum? I meant Titanium!!
Are you sure you didn't mean white gold ? with inlays and some killer blue diamond in it ? I'm pretty sure this is what you will go for, right ?
 7 to several more figures worth  :thumb:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:51:08 »
None of those are cool metals. Imagine a board made out of bismuth crystals, pyrite, or uranium glass!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:06:24 »
None of those are cool metals. Imagine a board made out of bismuth crystals, pyrite, or uranium glass!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkNKzTojHLl/

we might get there some day

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:43:50 »
I want a case made from tungsten carbide. Virtually unscratchable, and insanely heavy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:58:16 »
The model f revival prototype probably as far as money spent to make it a reality.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 11:15:31 »
Everyday use of expensive kustom keyboards kinda stresses me out. I like the solidly-built stock plastic cases of vintage keyboards or stuff by companies such as Filco and Leopold. Even the acrylic one cut for my LSv3 is nice because it can always be reproduced for cheap.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 11:19:12 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 11:31:15 »
356CLS

i know of one that moved somewhere in the 12-15k range

not at all worth that price but people get crazy in china
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 12:23:03 »
I know this thread is kind of ridiculous but it has gotten me thinking.  If cost were really no object what material would you live a keyboard made out of?  I'm not convinced that some of the more exotic things we've talked about would actually be...good.  For instance a titanium switchplate would probably be super, super stiff...but is that even a desirable quality?  Even talking about things like weights...while heavy keyboards are generally considered a positive thing I do think there's a point of diminishing--or even negative--return.

So what would be the ideal keyboard materials?

Offline Nlight

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 13:42:16 »
For look pure look ? Silver but with germanium, to avoid the nasty tarnish on skin, case inlayed and polished to almost mirror, and just smoothed for the wristrest, key of same material just smoothed, with either paraïba tourmaline, or tsavorite garnet set in the F and J key.

But for the feel, out of boxwood, no finish, just very finely sanded, it feels like woman skin without hairs, just a divine feel, though it would be only very ephemeral and end up gross.

Offline T14

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:13:48 »
Some kind of oligodynamic metal alloy, like brass.
Id like my endgame keyboard to become an heirloom.
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:28:24 »

The rarer and more expensive, the better!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:30:02 »

The rarer and more expensive, the better!

Spoken like a true millennial!

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:36:01 »
I thought millennials were supposed to all be broke and living in their parents' basements?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:38:23 »
I thought millennials were supposed to all be broke and living in their parents' basements?

Why do you think they're broke and living in their parents' basements?

Offline duckboi

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:49:24 »

It's because we do nothing productive for society and are too busy playing nintendo, of course!
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:51:00 »

It's because we do nothing productive for society and are too busy playing nintendo, of course!

Yay for us!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:06:42 »
I know this thread is kind of ridiculous but it has gotten me thinking.  If cost were really no object what material would you live a keyboard made out of?  I'm not convinced that some of the more exotic things we've talked about would actually be...good.  For instance a titanium switchplate would probably be super, super stiff...but is that even a desirable quality?  Even talking about things like weights...while heavy keyboards are generally considered a positive thing I do think there's a point of diminishing--or even negative--return.

a butt

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:10:08 »

a butt

agree
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:22:11 »
Everyday use of expensive kustom keyboards kinda stresses me out. I like the solidly-built stock plastic cases of vintage keyboards or stuff by companies such as Filco and Leopold. Even the acrylic one cut for my LSv3 is nice because it can always be reproduced for cheap.

It is really refreshing to read a comment so loaded with common sense. Yet, it is against core trends that populate the kbd's forums landscape. Quality, keyboard and cheap toghether in the same phrase are like sacriledge.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 20:46:37 »

It is really refreshing to read a comment so loaded with common sense. Yet, it is against core trends that populate the kbd's forums landscape. Quality, keyboard and cheap toghether in the same phrase are like sacriledge.

i use my mira every day cause i don't really give a ****

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 21:35:49 »
I daily drive a kustom, its nothing really, just be careful

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 21:41:18 »

i use my mira every day cause i don't really give a ****

I use mine every day too. It's certainly the most expensive board I own (although cheap in the bigger scheme of customs), and it feels much more solid than pretty much anything else I've got.

I don't travel with it though. Cheaper and lighter boards are for when I go visit friends/family for a few days, or for taking to work. I bought the board to use, but I'm not going to be reckless with it, if that makes sense.

Offline Nlight

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 02:40:59 »
I bought the board to use, but I'm not going to be reckless with it, if that makes sense
It absolutely does. I never quite understood the interest of a collection, so when I buy or make a quality tool, this is to use it, I mean this what it is made for in the first place, I don'get why you woulg get a tool if this is just to watch it, this would be useless. Just like people who own beautiful cars that stay for decades under a sheet to stay clean, I just don't get it.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:15:31 »
I bought the board to use, but I'm not going to be reckless with it, if that makes sense
It absolutely does. I never quite understood the interest of a collection, so when I buy or make a quality tool, this is to use it, I mean this what it is made for in the first place, I don'get why you woulg get a tool if this is just to watch it, this would be useless. Just like people who own beautiful cars that stay for decades under a sheet to stay clean, I just don't get it.

Even though those cars stay under a sheet most of the time they still need to get run periodically so the plastics don't perish and nothing seizes.
Same deal with a keyboard - it needs to be worn in.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:23:02 »
OP hasn't even posted here in a while.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:45:57 »
OP is on the hunt.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 15:21:29 »
OP is on the hunt.

Offline jlee755

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 20:15:09 »

It's with a lot of collecting hobbies, you're right. I always found collecting sneakers kind of ironic, because the item itself is pretty much made to get dirty at its fundamental purpose. I have nothing against the hobby, but it is amusing. It's probably the same with keyboards, being able to display your cool-looking collection when its fundamental purpose is much simpler and its design is to take a toll compared to its cheaper, more common variants.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 20:55:50 »
People do have a tendency, I think, to forget that many high quality custom keyboards are extremely durable and, if built properly, reliable. For example, you have to be pretty reckless to damage aluminum anodization of any decent quality. However there are many expensive customs which are not so solidly manufactured or whose firmware is less stable, so it's not so cut-and-dry.

On a related note, some people have a fear of putting wear on their keycaps. But in my opinion, wear often looks very good.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150