Author Topic: KBC Poker 2 stabilizer stuck on shift key  (Read 7307 times)

Offline belac

KBC Poker 2 stabilizer stuck on shift key
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 10:38:00 »
I have a Poker 2 and the left stabilizer for the right shift key sticks and causes the entire shift key to stick in the down position. The right stabilizer moves freely. I took the case off to see if i could bend the wire that I see down in there from the other side, but I quickly learned that was not an option  :) In case you cannot tell, I have zero keyboard troubleshooting experience. Is there a way I can fix this? Thanks.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: KBC Poker 2 stabilizer stuck on shift key
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:37:39 »
I have a Poker 2 and the left stabilizer for the right shift key sticks and causes the entire shift key to stick in the down position. The right stabilizer moves freely. I took the case off to see if i could bend the wire that I see down in there from the other side, but I quickly learned that was not an option  :) In case you cannot tell, I have zero keyboard troubleshooting experience. Is there a way I can fix this? Thanks.
(Attachment Link)

Take the keyboard out of the case and compare the left and right stabs to see what's different. It could be that the left side wire popped out. Also, when you move it up and down without the key cap can you feel it catching on anything?

Offline belac

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:42:12 »
Take the keyboard out of the case and compare the left and right stabs to see what's different. It could be that the left side wire popped out. Also, when you move it up and down without the key cap can you feel it catching on anything?

The wire appears to still be in place because it moves when I move the stabilizer with a pair of pliers. Yes, it sticks without the key cap. It is rubbing on the side of the cutout in which it travels.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:04:22 »
I think Pokers use a Chinese clone of Cherry stabilizers so quality control may not be the best.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 08:32:58 »
About the only thing you can do is take apart the stabilizer, inspect and/or replace it. More than likely you will have to desolder at least part of the board. It sounds like more work than it really is, but it can be a little intimidating if you've never done it before. Should only be a switch, or two, and then you'll be able to remove the stabilizer.

Offline JonnyPolygon

• Mechanical keyboard masterrace
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 08:59:45 »
Man that would annoy me so much  :'(

Ducky Shine | i7 GTX 980ti | Top 9 best mechanical keyboards

Offline belac

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:42:44 »
It is annoying, but my pinky is getting pretty good at hitting the key without a keycap on it.

I guess I'm off to research and buy some soldering supplies. This $140 keyboard is getting more expensive than expected :-(

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 10:00:56 »
It is annoying, but my pinky is getting pretty good at hitting the key without a keycap on it.

I guess I'm off to research and buy some soldering supplies. This $140 keyboard is getting more expensive than expected :-(

Think of it as an investment in all the other keyboards you're going to buy.  :p

This thread is a great place to start. If you run into a snag PM me.

Offline belac

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 10:06:28 »
Think of it as an investment in all the other keyboards you're going to buy.  :p

This thread is a great place to start. If you run into a snag PM me.

Thanks for the info and the offer for help! It's good timing anyway. I've been telling my wife I was going to start buying some electronics supplies sometime soon, so that I could start teaching my son some simple projects. This is the nudge (excuse) I need to get crackin' on that.