Author Topic: Need some recommendations on linear switches  (Read 2227 times)

Offline khabib0460

Need some recommendations on linear switches
« on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:29:23 »
I know an opinion of a switch is highly personal but I'm really new to the custom keyboard world so I have very few references. I want to buy new switches that are somewhat budget friendly and are also better than my current ones https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/ .

The keyboard I'm using now is a keychron V6 with keychrons K pro red switches. They're fine now but want to upgrade them later. The two switches I was maybe thinking of buying were Milky Yellows and Star meteor whites. Anyone any new recommendations or comments on these two?

Also, I need some recommendations of where to buy lube and what to buy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 June 2023, 07:46:05 by khabib0460 »

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
Re: Need some recommendations on linear switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 12:30:25 »
What are you hoping to achieve by changing the switches? More smoothness? A different sound?
As for lube, the most popular option is krytox 205 grade 0. Your local online keyboard vendor probably has it. If you're just starting out, it's likely your best option, unless you're using gateron x switches. Also I think the keychron k pros are already factory lubed.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 08:16:47 »
Get some Gateron Pro v2. They are good and super smooth. Spending a lot of money on good switches is in the past.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 09:58:41 »
Milky yellows are very reliable, they aren't the best switch, but for the price and quality they are probably the best value. I do prefer Milky top nylon bottom yellows for sound (Believe they are called KS-3X47) but of course that depends on variety of factors and preference. I haven't used SP-STAR switches but I have heard some good things.

If you cannot be bothered with lubing than either Gateron X switches or the Gateron Pro V2 (like someone else said in the thread) are good options and can be used pretty much stock. Gat X is more expensive by a lot but they are more smoother due to the polishing that is done in the switch, so if don't want to pay a lot for switches than go with the pros.

Keep in mind, the switches in the keychron, considering what they are (pre-lubed gateron switches) something like a gat pro won't be too much of an upgrade from a feel perspective (Though something like or a broken in, nicely lubed and spring swapped to tx springs in the weighting you like gateron yellow or Sp-Star switch or a spring swapped gat x will feel a lot better)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 20:55:32 »
As said, expensive linears are a thing of the past.

Get Gateron Pro or X linears if you don't want to lube. If you want the best, and don't want to lube, get Gateron Oil Kings. They are on a small discount right now on AliExpress.

Another thing to consider is Gateron CAP Milky Yellow V2 or 3. They are a more 'forceful' linear. It's preference, really. They are okay-lubed from factory, but do better with user lube.

AKKO V3 Cream Yellow PRO are very new, and pretty good. Okay with factory lube. Also on sale [if you buy 2 boxes.]

Probably best to go with some pre-lubed medium or high-end Gateron linear.

If you want something different, WS [Wuque Studios] has interesting linears that are smooth, but should be lubed for sound. KTT linears are great and cheap, but need lube for best results.

I have SP Star Meteor Orange, the tactile version of Meteor White. These switches have potential. They are more 'gritty,' stem has some character, the linear makes a distinct sound. But to get best results with the Meteor Orange, have to lube carefully with 3204, use Cherry tops, and film them. The springs are nice, but yes, lubed TX springs will sound better.

55 G 14mm TX springs worked in the Meteor Orange, but they felt stiffer than the stock springs. It's subjective what is best. You need to think about the sound you want if choosing between Meteor White and Milky Yellows. Anyway, pre-lubed Gaterons will be easiest, as others say.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 June 2023, 20:58:13 by HungerMechanic »