Author Topic: Looking for a keyboard  (Read 2402 times)

Offline rickrock987

Looking for a keyboard
« on: Mon, 19 June 2023, 11:52:54 »
I’m looking for a mechanical keyboard, budget is around 170€, full size, would like to have dedicated media controls. I don’t want a custom keyboard, it’s best if it’s good straight out of the box. So far the best i found is the Razer deathstalker v2 rgb or the logitech g513 carbon https://nox.tips/  https://xender.vip/ . I don’t know a lot about switches because this will be my first time buying a mechancal keyboard but it’s very important that it isn’t too loud. Oh and would prefer rgb Thanks everyone in advance.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 June 2023, 12:22:56 by rickrock987 »

Offline GMKClassicRed

Re: Looking for a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 June 2023, 12:34:55 »
Keychron Q series.

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 June 2023, 09:32:10 »
Keychron V6
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 June 2023, 13:04:55 »
A Geon F1...
Nah just kidding, Keychron.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 June 2023, 21:29:04 »
Full sizes are hard to find at that price, it's just more expensive to make full sizes. Keychron makes some good products for good prices as everyone has said in this thread. Another option, may be to find a IBM model M for cheap and refurbish it. do things like bolt modding it or even converting it to usb (or at least buying an adapter) 50-80usd is a good price from what I heard and you should be able to find one. I know they technically aren't mechanical but they are amazing nonetheless.

Offline Neoteknon

• www.www.www
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 June 2023, 17:19:54 »
Hi all, could someone please explain what are the differences between k1 models, k5 and k7 alsp between k1 and k1 SE (same thing for k5)? And what about the Q and V series?  New to keychron but i like them and considering buying one, thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Offline Im_Pigeon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 June 2023, 19:07:39 »
Hi all, could someone please explain what are the differences between k1 models, k5 and k7 alsp between k1 and k1 SE (same thing for k5)? And what about the Q and V series?  New to keychron but i like them and considering buying one, thanks a lot!

https://www.keychron.com/blogs/news/difference-among-keychron-keyboards

Offline Neoteknon

• www.www.www
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 June 2023, 05:14:26 »

https://www.keychron.com/blogs/news/difference-among-keychron-keyboards
Hey Pigeon
Thanks a lot!

Offline Neoteknon

• www.www.www
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 June 2023, 17:19:22 »
Hey guys, i have another question but not sure its worth to open a thread. So im checking the q11 keychron, as for  long time i wanted to try a split model. Now what annoyed me on my current keyboard is the sound. I type a lot and sometimes they keypress it is just  background sound of entire days. So i was also interewted in those low-profile series that they have and was wondering... would it be possible to put optical switches on the q11?

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 June 2023, 05:35:40 »
Hey guys, i have another question but not sure its worth to open a thread. So im checking the q11 keychron, as for  long time i wanted to try a split model. Now what annoyed me on my current keyboard is the sound. I type a lot and sometimes they keypress it is just  background sound of entire days. So i was also interewted in those low-profile series that they have and was wondering... would it be possible to put optical switches on the q11?

Unfortunately no.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline Neoteknon

• www.www.www
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 June 2023, 16:51:22 »

Unfortunately no.
But  low profile keycaps should be possible right? What about those gatheron silents yellow/brown?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 June 2023, 19:53:26 »
Yes, you can use low-profile keycaps that are compatible with MX stems.

Examples include DSA profile and DSS profile, as well as the more common Cherry and DCS-profile. [Those are all taller than DSA.]

You may also wish to consider XDA and perhaps MDA profile, as they are quite flat and some of them are very cheap and attractive.

As for switches, there are many silent switches to choose from these days. The Keychron keyboards could actually make a good platform for these kind of switches. Since they can use dampening.

In the MX world, the quietest switches are Bobagum linears, U4 Boba tactiles, some cheaper OUTEMU linears + tactiles. It depends what you are looking for. They all tend to be quieter if hand-lubed.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 June 2023, 19:56:41 »
Also, with regard to the Gateron silents:

The Gateron Silent Brown is outdated. The modern equivalent is the TTC Silent Brown V2.

Gateron also produced something called Aliaz, which is a very light tactile, like Gateron Brown. They are pretty quiet once the spring is replaced with something better.

I haven't heard Gateron Silent Yellow mentioned in a long time. Personally, I'd probably rather use the Silent Alpaca linear, which is very quiet. And Bobagum probably beats them all.