Author Topic: Need help looking for a mechanical keyboards with some requirements.  (Read 1819 times)

Offline 222lu222

Hey guys, I am looking for a blue/black/white switch Full or tkl  keyboard recommendations. My special requirements are that it be either white or like the ninja something that has the letters on the front but not the top, im having some trouble describing this :3, or with LED's. I am looking for a keyboard that doesn't just look like a normal keyboard, something that has something that calls out for example a white keyboard looks cool and so does key caps without the letters except they are on the front or LED's. I am looking for an affordable price. Links to the keyboards would be greatly appreciated. I do like all 3 of the switches stated above.

Thanks for helping in advance :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Need help looking for a mechanical keyboards with some requirements.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 01:05:30 »
Ah! Front printed keycaps! A good look indeed. It was popularized by the filco ninja of course. Keycool has a keyboard like this, and the new Cooler Master Quick Fire rapid Stealth models have it, too. You can always get aftermarket front printed keycaps ofcourse.

Well you certainly have a lot of options. You may want to look at the keycool 87 with front printed keycaps (mechanicalkeyboards.com will possibly be stocking these) or the QFR stealth, which should be available real soon now. (hence no links yet)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 01:40:38 »
KeyCool is good - I am very happy with mine (although the legends are on top of the keycaps, but there is a side-printed version out there somewhere).

Got mine from qtan.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:06:30 »
KeyCool is good - I am very happy with mine (although the legends are on top of the keycaps, but there is a side-printed version out there somewhere).

Got mine from qtan.
Is the quality as good on a keycool as a QcK? The QcK apparently gets lots of love around here on this forum, haven't seen much on the keycool so it as good or better than the QcK? Also mind finding the side-printed keycaps version, ive been searching for a while and havnt found it yet. Thanks anways ;)

Offline PythoN

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:11:13 »
QFR stealth, which should be available real soon now. (hence no links yet)

correct me if I'm wrong (maybe you're referring to another model), but the QF stealth has been available for quite a while. I've been using one with blues for about a month now..

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10035

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:11:55 »
Sorry, what is a QcK?

qtan had a side-printed KeyCool, but has sold out for now.  Maybe PM him or post in his vendor sub-forum to ask if he knows when/if he will get some more in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:13:24 »
Sorry, what is a QcK?

qtan had a side-printed KeyCool, but has sold out for now.  Maybe PM him or post in his vendor sub-forum to ask if he knows when/if he will get some more in.
Wow I meant QFR blame auto correct  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:18:27 »
KeyCool is a newer brand than QFR, which is probably why there are less reports about it.

Mine are both good, solid boards.

If pressed, I would say that the QFR probably has the edge, but the KeyCool keycaps are so much better (PBT + better legends).

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:24:33 »
KeyCool is a newer brand than QFR, which is probably why there are less reports about it.

Mine are both good, solid boards.

If pressed, I would say that the QFR probably has the edge, but the KeyCool keycaps are so much better (PBT + better legends).
Sorry too ask such a nooby question b what's the diffrence between PBT and the other key caps? Is it a preference thing or more of a better build quality? Also what would the price be for the key cool with side printed caps and if you don't know how much did you pay for your boards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:35:18 »
PBT is a different kinda of plastic - doesn't shine as easily, is usually textured (a slightly rough surface) which a lot of people seem to prefer.

ABS shines a lot easier and is generally smoother.

You can read some more opinions here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44593.0

My KeyCool was $71.99 (and shipping to Australia was $22 on top of that).

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:37:20 »
PBT is a different kinda of plastic - doesn't shine as easily, is usually textured (a slightly rough surface) which a lot of people seem to prefer.

ABS shines a lot easier and is generally smoother.

You can read some more opinions here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44593.0

My KeyCool was $71.99 (and shipping to Australia was $22 on top of that).
  That is actually a really great price ill look into it. Plus reply to this for you 4000 post :D and thnx for all your help :)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:41:37 »
If you are going with the ninja look get blank keycaps, or if you don't touch type and need legends get a Topre black on black keyboard, or keycaps that are engraved but have no filling.  The latter two choices allow you to have legends if when you have trouble, but with the first choice the only legend is you when other people see your bad a-word blank keyboard.  That's just my opinion.

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:13:02 »
Guys I know this is doesn't exist, but is there a keyboard that has LED's and is side printed  :eek: that would be very cool.