Author Topic: Research: do you use both Ctrl, Alt and Shift?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline 1u1z

Research: do you use both Ctrl, Alt and Shift?
« on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:20:12 »
Hi GH,
I'm making a research about how much people use the Ctrl, the Alt and Shift. So... do you always use both (left and right) buttons?
I'm left-handed and never (really) use the right buttons. Since I have a project to make my own ortho-linear 40% , I want to know if people really use.

Thanks in advance. Regards,
L.

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Research: do you use both Ctrl, Alt and Shift?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:28:02 »
Control: I remap CapsLock as Control, so I end up having 3 Controls on my TKL boards but only one on my HHKB Pro 2. Either way, I mostly use left Control.

Alt: I use Alt/Opt less frequently, but when I do use it, I usually use the left Alt/Opt.

Command: My primary OS is Mac OS X, and so I use Command. I usually use it on the left.

Shift: I use the right Shift much more often than the left Shift.

Edit: PS -- I am right handed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:34:23 by Hypersphere »

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:31:53 »
Also a left hander here.

I use almost exclusively the left control/shift/alt. From time to time, I will use the set on the right sided to do ctrl+alt+del, but it is not very often I do this as I mostly use ctrl+shift+esc to access what I would normally use from the ctrl+alt+del menu.

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:33:33 »
For ctrl I only use the left one. For alt only the left one too. For shift I mostly use the right one but also use the left one from time to time. For command I only use the left one.

You should use google survey thing too make this easier.  :thumb:
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:51:29 »
Been working fairly hard to use the correct meta key lately as emacs gets pretty uncomfortable if you don't
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 21:07:03 »
I only use the right shift, ctrl, super and alt.

I also prefer to use the navigation on the tenkey.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:00:57 »
Right handed and I only use the left side modifiers.
eh o well

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:07:22 »
Right handed here.  I use the leftand right shift equally, but 90% of ctrl and alt on the left.  Winkey only on the right.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:09:48 »
Righthanded. Use Right shift, but left ctrl and alt
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:11:51 »
I'd say the only one I don't use is the right alt.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:21:21 »
When on a standard Mac ANSI keyboard:

Right shift for all the letters (except O & P) and the num-row symbols on the left hand. Left shift for capital O and P and all the symbols on the right hand.

I pretty exclusively use my left thumb for spacebar, command, and option (unless holding two of them at once, in which case I use both my left thumb and my left pinky finger) and my left pinky for control (to the left of the A; unless a shortcut calls for cmd+opt+ctrl or shift+ctrl in which case I use my left ring finger).

On a more ergonomic programmable keyboard layout, shift gets put onto a thumb key. (Though I think using a pinky is also fine as long as the right shift key is a bit closer to reach.)

Japanese and ISO keyboards do terrible awful things to the shift keys. ANSI right shift is bad enough. Pretty much all keyboards have incredibly stupid placement for alternate/option and command/windows/meta. Keyboards that put the control key to the left of the left pinky home position are okay; keyboards that put control keys in the corners are designed by idiots or sadists (or sadistic idiots).

I present: the essence of the IBM/ANSI QWERTY keyboard layout:

cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61798
(and note this layout pictured is *better* than what you get on a standard keyboard, despite looking totally stupid and ridiculous.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:29:07 by jacobolus »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:35:23 »
I use both left and right shift equally when typing capital letters.

Only use the left Ctrl/Win/Alt keys, never touch any of the right Alt/Win/Menu/Ctrl keys.

Shift:  Used to type capital letters and select multiple items.

Ctrl:  Also used to select multiple items and shortcuts.

Alt:  Used in Photoshop and Maya.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline 1u1z

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 23:55:13 »
Is always impressive to reply speed here at GH. Thank you guys, helped a lot.

cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61798
I read, thanks.
Japanese and ISO keyboards do terrible awful things to the shift keys.
I agree. That's why I'll make my own. The initial idea:

- Little, symmetric  and minimalist as possible. I think most part of the keys we really don't use or use rarely, so theses key can be put on some extra layer.
I'm supporter of a philosophy of suckless and the Plan9 design on software engineering. As you can read on the link, this philosophy is being applied only on Software Engineering, but not on Hardware parts. I want to expand this and make some less "harmful" components;
- The idea is make a 45-50% keyboard. Like the SmallFry / JD40, but with accentuation key's (after this thread I'm thinking about remove the Ctrl and Alt of right and just leave the Shift key);
- It will have the ortho-linear design, like TypeMatrix, but with exactly the same position of a normal keyboard, to make the transition less "pain". The purpose is of course, minimalism (anyone can tell why we still using the not regular columns?), but too the less hand movement as possible;
- Will be foldable (it will not interfere on design), with a trackpoint (same of Thinkpads) and a extra key button for click action, so you don't need mouse and can stay with your hands just on keyboard;
- The misc: MX blue with fat O-ring, PTB keycap spherical with no marks (I don't think we need more indications on keyboard) and black;
- Designed to Workman layout, but can be reprogrammed to QWERTY or Colemak (any other):
- The implementation will be Open. It will have free schematics, the microcontroller will be open hardware (with schematics too) and all the code used will be on (free) ISC license;
- Cheap (maybe use 3D printed on some parts).

So... this is my project. Any though? 

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:12:10 »
I agree. That's why I'll make my own. The initial idea:

- Little, symmetric  and minimalist as possible. I think most part of the keys we really don't use or use rarely, so theses key can be put on some extra layer.
Seems reasonable as a design principle.

- The idea is make a 45-50% keyboard. Like the SmallFry / JD40, but with accentuation key's
What does “accentuation key's” mean?

- It will have the ortho-linear design, like TypeMatrix, but with exactly the same position of a normal keyboard, to make the transition less "pain". The purpose is of course, minimalism (anyone can tell why we still using the not regular columns?), but too the less hand movement as possible;
Have you tried using a matrix keyboard before?

- Cheap (maybe use 3D printed on some parts).
I don’t think there’s any benefit to 3d-printing any part of a keyboard with a layout like this. You need (a) a switch plate, which I would recommend getting waterjet out of steel, but on a budget you could use laser-cut acrylic, and (b) either some hand-wiring or a PCB.

Show Image
I don’t think those numbers bear much relation to the difficulty of typing the keys on this layout. How did you come up with them?

Offline ithinkimkorean

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:15:43 »
I'm left handed and I only use the left side mods unless I have to use right shift to capitalize a letter on the left side of the board.

I'm not even use what I can use alt for other than alt-tab and ctrl alt delete. 

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:16:33 »
i rarely use shift i prefer Caps

position shift better on homerow :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:18:19 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 01:33:06 »
I'm left handed as well, (use a mouse with my right hand.  Use left ctrl alt and shift a lot.  I have my win key mapped to right alt.  Sometimes use right shift.  Rarely use right ctrl.  When I do it would be to bring up task manager if I want to only use one hand.  Hope this helps.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline 1u1z

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 02:24:22 »
Thanks folks!

What does “accentuation key's” mean?
Please see the attach.
Have you tried using a matrix keyboard before?
No. But I don't see any I do not see any problem with that ... you would be against this layout? Question sincere, because I do not see a problem with it.
you could use laser-cut acrylic
Good idea, thanks. I want it something like matte black, you know if I can paint it?
I don’t think those numbers bear much relation to the difficulty of typing the keys on this layout. How did you come up with them?
This is not my. I just put it to illustrate make thinking. I download it from Workman layout page.

Thanks for your reply!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 02:33:33 »
Right hander here, I only use left ctrl alt, for shift most of the time I use the left one ane use the right one when I type question mark

Offline skuko

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 02:36:10 »
I use both left and right shift equally when typing capital letters.

Only use the left Ctrl/Win/Alt keys, never touch any of the right Alt/Win/Menu/Ctrl keys.

Shift:  Used to type capital letters and select multiple items.

Ctrl:  Also used to select multiple items and shortcuts.

Alt:  Used in Photoshop and Maya.

this except the photoshop, i use alt for push-to-talk in teamspeak :)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 03:25:21 »
I'm right-handed, so I'm using Ctrl and Alt on the left. I'm not even have Ctrl and Alt on the right of my current keyboard.

But I need both Shifts.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline dusan

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 08:09:06 »
Why is the top row 0.5u staggered? Why not simply ortho-linear layout e.g. like this
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64580.0;attach=81546;image
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline osi

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 08:33:21 »
Right handed user here.

99% of the time, my left modifiers are used. On a rare occasion, I will use right shift

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:39:59 »
Right Handed user here.

I only use CTRL, ALT and SHIFT that are on the left.
I'm a big gamer and most of the time my right hand is not on the keyboard so I'm used to use modifiers only with my left hand. This habit kept up even when I'm not playing (i.e programing).

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:27:07 »
Right-handed.

Caps Lock is mapped to Control... but I sometimes use the right Control key with the arrow keys.

I use mostly left Shift, but right Shift together with a couple of keys on the right side.

I use left Alt only with Tab or left/right arrow (Alt-left/right = Back/Forwards in web browsers) or with the mouse when dragging files or restricting axes/dimensions in paint and drawing programs.
I use right Alt as Alt Graph together with lots of keys because I use Swedish layout - and not just for brackets and braces.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:28:10 »
I never use my right Ctrl.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:45:16 »
I don't think I ever use any of the right-side mods. I'll go home and take off the keys and see if I hit them while I'm not actively thinking about it. :)

Offline 1u1z

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 15:50:03 »
Why is the top row 0.5u staggered? Why not simply ortho-linear layout e.g. like this
https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64580.0;attach=81546;image
Because I think it will be difficult for most part of people adapt yourself to this... I think we can make a ortho-linear, but exactly the same  position of function keys (Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Enter, Super, etc.). Basically the same of the attack, but Workman layout.

Offline dusan

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 05:45:14 »
By 'top row' I mean the number row, not the Ctrl/Alt/Spacebar row. The top row in your proposal is kept 0.5u staggered relatively to the QWERTY row. I see no points in it. From my personal experience, except some bottom corner keys like the Z key and the slash key, ortho-linear layout is generally *better* than staggered layout.
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline aref

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 07:29:53 »
Right handed here.  I use the leftand right shift equally, but 90% of ctrl and alt on the left.  Winkey only on the right.

+1

Offline JackMills

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 07:35:00 »
Right-handed and I use only left for Ctrl, Alt and windows key. I try to use both shifts but i favor the left shift, even for left handed keys to combine with.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 08:50:34 »
i rarely use shift i prefer Caps

position shift better on homerow :D

Interesting.

I am right-handed, and I use LH Caps, Shift, Alt & Ctrl.  And RH Shift and Ctrl.  And frankly, I'd be happy with a 7.5x spacebar that squished the RH mods to just 3 keys.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:50:11 »
Just a question for people here who use the right ctrl, how do you do it? It just seems to me like there's no comfortable way of pressing it
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:52:37 »
I only use the right side if I have only one hand available and I need to CTRL+ALT+DEL. Other than that, I never use them...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:03:39 »
I'm left handed, and primarily use LCtrl, LAlt, and LShift, but will occssionally use RShift when typing certain phrases.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 14:22:23 »
I use them all the time.  I suppose I am one of the few.  I probably take advantage of about 95% of what a keyboard offers for shortcuts, typing, and other such things.  I do not use the scroll lock.  Currently I use that for "gaming mode" to shutoff the Super/Windows/OS key when gaming.

Offline poeee

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 16:07:42 »
Right handed.  Left shift, left control, right thumb space bar.  I use alt on both sides, simply because the software we use at work uses alt - enter to 'write' changes made, and I'm usually coming from the number pad.

Offline shut up

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 17:30:52 »
Right handed, I use left shift if I'm working on the left side of the keyboard and right shift if I'm working on the right side of the keyboard. I only use left alt on occasion though and very rarely use right control.
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 18:49:17 »
For reference, I'm right handed and use a trackball with my right.

I almost exclusively use the left shift while typing.  Bad habits are hard to break, even if typing things like Shift+A are really awkward.

I always use Left Ctrl as it allows for one handed combinations with q/w/a/s/z/x/c/v ect.

I rarely use Alt for much of anything, but usually use the Left Alt as my right hand is usually on the trackball.

Notable exceptions include Right Shift + Del for immediately deleting files one handed and Right Ctrl when using VirtualBox as it’s defined as the host key.

Offline Richard Eul

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 19:21:40 »
I'm using sticky keys, so I usually end up tapping on Ctrl / Alt / Shift once instead of holding them down (most of the time).

I would say I use the left Shift / right Shift in a 60:40 ratio - tap/hold on right Shift if I need to capitalize words I'm typing with my left hand, vice versa.

Just a question for people here who use the right ctrl, how do you do it? It just seems to me like there's no comfortable way of pressing it

I can't find a comfortable way of pressing it too - I tend to curl up my pinky before pressing it, or holding it with my thumb if I'm pressing it with some other combination. That is normally when I press Ctrl + Backspace - to erase one whole sentence  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:44:27 »

Right thumb on Right-Ctrl, then usually middle finger on the few keys that I use it with, like arrow keys, Ctrl-Home, Ctrl-End ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Data

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 09:05:40 »
Left Ctrl, Alt, & Shift used heavily
Right Shift used rarely
Right Ctrl & Alt never used
Right handed

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 09:29:24 »

Uncomfortably.  Seriously, I use it mostly when a program has some weird RH control-key shortcut I need to use repeatedly while using the mouse.  For example, my PCB layout program uses ^U for "ungroup", and if I have to ungroup a series of individual components, I will use Ctrl_R to do that.

But this very thread has made me wonder if I might not be better servered to remap Alt_R as Crtl_R.  That would turn ^U into a simple thumb-index finger contortion instead of the horrible twisty thing it is now.

I suppose that is why AltGr is in that position on ISO keyboards.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline spremino

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 09:36:57 »
Yes, I do use modifiers on both sides of the keyboard.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline Topper

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 10:08:14 »
Except for the right Ctrl, I use both sides. I use the right Alt for entering german umlauts in the EurKey layout.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 00:42:56 »
I use all three on both sides. It's more comfortable.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 02:45:37 »
Hi GH,
I'm making a research about how much people use the Ctrl, the Alt and Shift. So... do you always use both (left and right) buttons?
I'm left-handed and never (really) use the right buttons. Since I have a project to make my own ortho-linear 40% , I want to know if people really use.

Thanks in advance. Regards,
L.

I'm the same as some of the others that have specified changing their caps lock for ctrl and vice versa, I think it's just better for ease of use and what not really. I do in fact use the left alt a lot for modifiers while gaming, I use the right shift sometimes when using caps lock on the right hand side of the keyboard. I never use the right alt though, just don't really see a purpose for that what so ever.

I use the left shift in proportion also, just for caps lock and what not really, capitalisation of the start of words and stuff like that.
你搞砸了

Offline dusan

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 06:20:02 »

Right thumb on Right-Ctrl, then usually middle finger on the few keys that I use it with, like arrow keys, Ctrl-Home, Ctrl-End ...

+1

And index finger on right Shift for e.g. Shift+Ctrl+arrow.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 07:11:22 »
I am right handed and use the left Ctrl and Alt, right Shift almost exclusively. I never use Caps Lock, so I suppopse I could easily switch Caps Lock and Ctrl, but I am too used to the way I use Ctrl-Z, X, C, V to try the switch. I don't like the hand twist involved.

The main exception is using the right Alt as AltGr for Finnish layout.

The only time I use right Ctrl is for Ctrl-Alt-Del on TKL and larger boards.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 12:27:29 »
Twisted left wrist, curled pinkie and stretching index finger have resulted in RSI in my case. Therefore, I properly alternate hands for modifiers, i.e. use opposite hands. I'm toying with the idea of sticky modifiers to completely avoid any possible stretching. My layout has maximum symmetry and looks like this:
  • Shift on the home row, Control right below it
  • left bottom row from left to right: Control-Alt-Super-L1-AltGr (the right side is exactly the same, just mirrored), outer two keys are pressed with the edge of my palm (keycaps are pointed accordingly)
  • then there are some keys in thumb clusters, such as L2 (basically the usual Fn)