Author Topic: [IC]The Toxic set [OP updated 12/08]  (Read 89890 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [IC]Charcoal and Lime "Toxic"
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 18:36:28 »
Also I'm curious is this the kind of toxic green that people would like to see? Because I think the topre "lime" is pretty close, but we could always just figure out an appropriate pantone number.
Show Image

Man this image is making me think I want a Lambda and Black Mesa logo keys...

This!  Definitely!  Toxic green, plus lambda and BM logos :)  In toxic green.  Like this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:11:34 »
Also I'm curious is this the kind of toxic green that people would like to see? Because I think the topre "lime" is pretty close, but we could always just figure out an appropriate pantone number.
Show Image

This!  Definitely!  Toxic green, plus lambda and BM logos :)  In toxic green.  Like this.

yup, this would be awesome!

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:24:17 »
So the question is, do we add the Lambda and Black Mesa logos and keep the flask and bubble keys that Batmann designed? (I really like them) Or do we replace Batmann's keys instead of the more expensive set? Maybe if we sell all the custom keys a-la-cart then it will just be cheaper in general to cover the new legend fees. If we sell 100 base sets but 300 of the custom keys the legend fees almost become negligible. Also the black mesa key is pretty straight forward, but what lambda key do we want? I'm partial to the HL2 lambda logo but without the 2 in there.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline iArson

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:27:53 »
So excited for the order :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:36:21 »
Ideally the set would contain all the custom keys - Batmann's flasks and bubbles, as well as BM and HL logos.

But that would probably drive the overall price up?

Also a few people don't really seem to like green, toxic in particular, so would MOQ 100 be attainable?

And, how about 1 * HL lambda plus 1 * HL2 lambda?  If you were thinkinf of Win keys or something.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:43:25 »
Also a few people don't really seem to like green, toxic in particular, so would MOQ 100 be attainable?

And, how about 1 * HL lambda plus 1 * HL2 lambda?  If you were thinkinf of Win keys or something.
Why do we need MOQ of 100? These will be SP double shots. Full sets from QWERKeys are crazy expensive.

I think if we open it up a-la-cart for the custom keys even people that don't buy the main set will still make a purchase bringing down their cost. If we do end up getting a custom toxic green color though for this set I think a lot of people will get interested.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:52:08 »
Why do we need MOQ of 100? These will be SP double shots. Full sets from QWERKeys are crazy expensive.

Er, because you said:

If we sell 100 base sets but 300 of the custom keys the legend fees almost become negligible.

:)

Perhaps I misunderstood, I'm still kinda new to group buys.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:39:26 »
That was just an example not what we actually have to achieve. When I ran the Lambda group buy over 300 keys were purchased, everyone that ordered got 2-5 with only a few getting one key, and a few getting 6+. Adding the keys a-la-cart will make the ones that are part of the base set cheaper and help cover the new legend fees.

I think with Cherry legends, a custom color that has never been done before we, an a good selection of cool a-la-cart keys I don't think we'll have any trouble hitting good quantities, probably breaking 100 base sets.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:12:03 »
Ok, thanks for that.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:38:26 »
Show Image

AAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

1. "mutagen" green (on the verge of yellow, but still green)
2. translucent
3. glowing

This, right here. This is the one.

Oh, and, a set made with "mutagen" Hot-Pink, instead of the toxic-glowing-mutagen-green.

Someone do it. Fo'realz.
Logitech G710+

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:47:06 »
^ lol I don't think you'd be able to get ALL of that at once, as nice as it sounds.

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 01:59:58 »
How about some Combine logos or City 17 logos in addition to the Lambda and BM?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 02:11:42 »
How about some Combine logos or City 17 logos in addition to the Lambda and BM?

No good SVGs will be ignored.

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 02:21:00 »
what does that mean? need pictures?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 02:28:04 »
SVGs are the files that are needed to send to the key manufacturer. I'm not familiar with making them, or the specifications required.

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 02:47:24 »
the SVG files were attached as downloads, so here are some PNGs. I have the SVG files if there is interest.

City 17
7829-0

Combine
7831-1

Overwatch Elite
7833-2

Offline Batmann

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 04:00:58 »
I'm no big fan of the toxic set being specific to Half life, I don't mind some HL modifiers but I guess not 4 of them
Those are nice logos but they just don't ring a bell to me, people who don't know the game might be in the same situation (I'll draw whatever the majority wants though)
Also I won't be able to produce anymore mock-ups next week, I'll try my best to come up with a complete description (like what was so well done for the Sanctuary set) before the end of the week, already working on it with Daniel
And last but not least if we are to go for a custom color we need to decide the color code (CMYK would be the best, but RGB is good too) and this is were it gets hard because we won't all see the same color due to monitor calibration...

stay tuned! ^^
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 04:32:31 by Batmann »

Offline nereme

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 04:27:19 »
I am in

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 09:48:36 »
I'm no big fan of the toxic set being specific to Half life, I don't mind some HL modifiers but I guess not 4 of them
Those are nice logos but they just don't ring a bell to me, people who don't know the game might be in the same situation (I'll draw whatever the majority wants though)
Also I won't be able to produce anymore mock-ups next week, I'll try my best to come up with a complete description (like what was so well done for the Sanctuary set) before the end of the week, already working on it with Daniel
And last but not least if we are to go for a custom color we need to decide the color code (CMYK would be the best, but RGB is good too) and this is were it gets hard because we won't all see the same color due to monitor calibration...

stay tuned! ^^

I agree. personally I'd rather have chemistry or toxicology related references as opposed to half-life ones.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 10:18:44 »
^Same here. I wouldn't be opposed to some extra keys, but not have those as the focus.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 10:25:49 »
Will the green color be updated? Doesn't really look 'toxic' in that mockup.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 11:47:44 »
I'm assuming this is a SP doubleshot GB. I don't think any colors on the ABS color ring will look like AKIMbO's Realforce 'toxic' keycaps.

For reference from SP's site:

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:35:43 »
how about using lighter color as the base color on the keys instead of black?
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:53:15 »
Very agree to make this a HL set, I suggest making the bubbles and flasks be original, there should be an extra set including the text 1.25 keys, a Lambada , and a Black Mesa. Tsangan set involves the same but 1.5 text keys.
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:09:37 »
The base colour is supposed to be charcoal - like dark gray.

Topre have all the best colours, especially the yellow.  Is this some sort of predetermined division between MX and Topre keycap colours?  Have Topre copyrighted those colours or something?

And maybe this is becoming a little too much Half-Life oriented.  The toxic green picture probably pushed a few of us fans over the edge lol, so I don't mind if it is a "toxic" theme with logos to suit.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:29:48 »
We will keep it with Batmann's toxic themed keys and have a separate half-life pack during the same group buy in matching colors to help us reach the threshold we need for a new custom color.

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:34:58 »
I tend to get a little carried away when it comes to Half Life LOL. I am a bit if a fan  :))

I am in regardless of HL keys or not, but a HL pack would be sweet.

I like the beaker graphics too.

Offline separus

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:16:30 »
Look awesome. I'm in for a set

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:17:47 »
Topre green would be great, it needs to be vivid. There are too many flat colours in key sets!

Offline Batmann

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:21:32 »
btw, I just realized that green gas mask will rock on this set (even though I would personally prefer a toxic CCs!)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:23:23 by Batmann »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:40:37 »
btw, I just realized that green gas mask will rock on this set (even though I would personally prefer a toxic CCs!)
Yea I really go the idea from a bunch of stuff that has come from the community.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:54:28 »
Topre green would be great, it needs to be vivid. There are too many flat colours in key sets!

I don't see how this is possible unless we want to soak up the $600 for a new color.

Cheers,

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 18:12:45 »

I don't see how this is possible unless we want to soak up the $600 for a new color.

Cheers,
This really won't be a problem. If we sell 75-100 base sets I think we would use up the the minimum $600. Don't be confused about that $600, that is not a fee to get a new color, that is just what SP pays for any color, even colors they already have to get the materials for use.  While we wait for the cherry font to be ready I will probably do a 4 or 5 key Half-life pack in the new color, and front the $600 to get the new color sooner rather than later.

So lets try and get the color decided on. Just send over a topre lime green and copy that color? Or find the pantone color we want? Just sending over a topre key seems much easier and everyone is pretty familiar and most like the color.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 19:41:02 »
Is it the green on AKIMbO's RealForce?  As in here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37270.msg709306#msg709306

If so that looks great and really toxic, but where did those key caps come from?

EK has "lime green" Topre caps, but they look very washed-out compared to the above ones: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=xf0100kt11

OTOH it could just be the lighting, or my monitor.

Offline MMB

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 19:45:19 »
It would be best to send a topre lime green to SP and see if they can color match it, imo.

I have some extra if you need one.

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 20:47:51 »
I agree, the Topre lime green.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 20:47:54 »
Is the Topre "lime green" the same as AKIMbO has on his RealForce?  It looks more washed out ...

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 21:28:45 »
Is the Topre "lime green" the same as AKIMbO has on his RealForce?  It looks more washed out ...
Yes I'm pretty sure there is only one green color in topre switches.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 21:37:28 »
Yes...my green topre keycaps are the sames ones linked on EK.  The green in my pic is a little more vivid than what the keys look like irl.  The green in the EK pic is a tad bit more yellow than what the keys look like irl.  It's a hard color to photograph properly.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 21:51:08 »
Cool :)  If it is even halfway between the two irl it will be fantastic!

Offline MMB

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 01:39:41 »
Lime Green Topre color:

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 01:40:33 »
I love that green.

Do you like that cable? I was looking at getting one
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline MMB

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 01:43:50 »
Yeah, I have like 4 different color ones. Got them from China. I like em. Although, I would rather have flat cable ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 02:48:13 »
That picture looks darker than AKIMbO's but lighter than EK's ones.  Still, it does look pretty good :)

Offline Batmann

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 04:10:25 »
Here are the Pantone colors

PMS 375 seems to be pretty close to MMB hhkb, what do you think?
I think SP can work with the pantone code

Moar colors here

edit: I tried PMS 375 an d 368, no huge difference...:/
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 04:19:58 by Batmann »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 04:25:11 »
I like that the first page is all yellow :)

But now you are going to ask for a decision.  After a quick look I reckon 380 or 381 is closest to toxic green in the HL screen shot above.

Maybe - my colour sense is not necessarily that great.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 04:44:43 »
Your colour sense looks pretty accurate ^^
here is the numpad with PMS 381

(I used 382 for the darker shade just for information)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 04:49:30 by Batmann »

Offline Batmann

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 05:37:19 »
Things are shapin' up

edit: I screwed the base kit, this is base kit with modifiers
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 06:03:55 by Batmann »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 07:08:03 »
I strongly feel the base kit should include the stripe; ala the Exocet (sanctuary) set.

Cheers,

Offline eon

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 07:54:12 »
Really like the colors and also the stripe mode !

So toxic stripe and toxic modifiers would be two options ? The base set beeing full dark ?

Anyway, very interested!
Poker MX Red - Photos