Author Topic: Looking for a smooth ABS keyset  (Read 6193 times)

Offline lookid

Looking for a smooth ABS keyset
« on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 13:31:59 »
Hey, guys.

Few days ago I got my first good keyset from Maxkey, and I'm really like this double-shot ABS plastic.
But I didn't like SA profile because it's very tall and uncomfortable for me.

I'm looking for a keyset in Cherry / OEM profile (OEM is my favourite one), which feels close to Maxkey SA or SP SA plastic: smooth, non-textured and double-shot (it will be perfect).

I'm ready to spend ~100$ for it.

Any options? JTK / TaiHao / Vortex or another manufacturers?
VB

Offline Riverman

Re: Looking for a smooth ABS keyset
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:13:36 »
Tai Hao's ABS sets are cheap enough that you can buy a couple, try them out, and not feel like you wasted your money.  They're thin, but they're doubleshot, OEM profile, and not very heavily textured.  I had a very basic white on black set that I really liked before they got too shiny for my liking, like all ABS sets do.  That set was as cheap as they get, about $25 from Mechanicalkeyboards.com, but was well made and looked a heck of a lot better than the stock keycaps on the Filco I had them on.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:54:51 »
If you want smooth plastic i think POM is the answer here you can buy a blank set from KBDFans. They have no texture and feel slippery smooth but you get used to it.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:06:48 »
Usually older used original cherry doubeshots are smooth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline lookid

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 16:43:06 »
Thank you guys, will try to buy a few sets :)
VB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:03:43 »
Usually older used original cherry doubeshots are smooth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

But the wearing is often not even across the board, which irritates me, but might not other people.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 17:03:01 »
zFrontier offers a cheap $40 UV Drawng ABS keyset in many colorways. I've ordered these, and while a little thinner than GMK, they are remarkably similar. The legends will fade eventually but to try the material out and to have something similar to GMK quality at this price is a steal imo. Shipping might cost a little more if youre CONUS, but its worth it to try.

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/keyreative-uv-drawing