Author Topic: Any interest in MX-Compatible buckling spring switches?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Oi27

• Keyboard amateur - likes DIY
Any interest in MX-Compatible buckling spring switches?
« on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 09:00:56 »
I've been researching this idea for a while now and it seems possible to put a buckling spring mechanism into an MX-compatible housing... with the caveat that it probably won't sound much like the buckling springs we all know and love. They could wind up feeling pretty similar though if they're designed right, and that's the goal. Would there be any market for something like this?

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
Re: Any interest in MX-Compatible buckling spring switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 15:54:11 »
Yes, there is. It’s brought up every couple of months. I’ve been thinking about recently even as I use a Model M for my home pc. The closest we’ve gotten so far is from a guy on reddit four years ago. I think his username was Buckbucksprig. He attempted to patent his design and do a kickstarter. He wasn’t successful with either as far as I know. I believe his design has the spring contact a plate on the side of the switch when bent. Not quite the same as a normal buckling spring. I wouldn’t mind if he just put his design on github or something though. Make it open source.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 20:56:06 by King Icewind »