Author Topic: Friendly reminder, switch color has visible significance  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Learis

Friendly reminder, switch color has visible significance
« on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 20:49:22 »
This may just be something that noobs like me were unaware of, but switch color has visible significance! I thought initially that the keycap covers the entire switch for visibility. But it does not. In the picture below you can see my keyboard along with three switches that were used. All the keys have the blackish durocks except two. The H key has a regular gateron switch with a white housing. The J key has a gateron ink switch with a red housing. You can definitely see the differences, especially with bold colors like the red!

My recommendation for people who don't want to notice their switches is to get darker colored switches if possible. They blend in with the shadows easier. White is definitely noticeable but it's much less of a big deal if your plate is already white like this one is. Other colors will definitely be noticed so plan to coordinate them if you care about that sort of thing. Also bear in mind that these keycaps are the typical OEM sized keycaps. There may be greater or lesser degrees of visibility depending on what size keycaps you use.

edit: for the majority of ppl, the feel of the switch is the most important, and if you plan to keep the spring in the switch then you're stuck with the color either way. But for those who swap out springs, you're sometimes free to choose different colors from the same family of switch (ex: gateron ink black and ink red are both the same switch with different colors and springs). Also there are many recolors of switches in the jwk manufacturer to choose from.

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2020, 22:18:37 by Learis »
Mend and Defend

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Friendly reminder, switch color absolutely matters!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 21:05:48 »
What switch you run is likely more important than seeing a tiny bit of color between switches.
Also, if you use the same switch throughout it should at least look consistent, you could also match your plate color to the switch to help hide them or use paint.

Regardless, if this is your biggest complaint, I'd say stop complaining and just be happy.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Learis

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 21:59:57 »
What switch you run is likely more important than seeing a tiny bit of color between switches.
Also, if you use the same switch throughout it should at least look consistent, you could also match your plate color to the switch to help hide them or use paint.

Regardless, if this is your biggest complaint, I'd say stop complaining and just be happy.

I wouldn't say it's a complaint as much as a lesson I had to learn. I swap out springs no matter the switch, so I could have gotten gateron ink blacks instead of reds and not had to deal with this distraction. It's not the end of the world, but just something to be aware of.

Edit: I've updated the title and some wording to sound more informational rather than sensational. I don't wish to discourage people from getting the switches they like due to colors unless that really matters to them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2020, 22:15:02 by Learis »
Mend and Defend

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 00:28:52 »
I wouldn't say it's a complaint as much as a lesson I had to learn. I swap out springs no matter the switch, so I could have gotten gateron ink blacks instead of reds and not had to deal with this distraction. It's not the end of the world, but just something to be aware of.
It's because you use linears you feel you have choices.

Tactile and clicky are far more varied and even disregarding springs there may be only one switch that feels and sounds how you want, as such housing color often isn't even an option when choosing a switch.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Friendly reminder, switch color has visible significance
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 02:18:35 »
That little red dot of J is quite noticeable, H I wouldn't have seen but as you said it's different I looked harder and yes, it is visible.  Not offensive though.

Once aware of this it could be used to make a pattern, or you could hide the random switch(es) either on the bottom row so the case hides them or above a modifies where there's no gap, no need to avoid using up random switches on a build.

As you say, it's just something to be aware of :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Friendly reminder, switch color has visible significance
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 23:08:02 »
My favorite switches are metal-colored. Is that good or bad?
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W