Author Topic: will this vintage keyboard work on a modern mac ?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline olivier.nyc

will this vintage keyboard work on a modern mac ?
« on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 01:07:29 »
looking to buy the computer on ebay for $50 just to get the keyboard...
but will it be compatible with today's OSX & USB ?

I am not even sure what type of connector it is. Was USB even invented then ?  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-MACINTOSH-M5011-SE-FDHD-DUAL-FLOPPIES-MOUSE-KEYBOARD-W-WRIST-RESTS-/131041692664?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1e82b18bf8
Simplicity is a great virtue but requires hard work to achieve and education to appreciate.
And to make matters worse: complexity sells better. (EWD896)

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
Re: will this vintage keyboard work on a modern mac ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 01:31:34 »
This is the keyboard port used on the back of the Mac in question:

So the question is: Does YOUR Mac have this port? If not then no it won't work. Can't seem to find anything relating to old school Mac keyboard port to USB adapter either.

Sooo...yeah. I'm going to say this is a no-go. Don't take my word for it though, see what others have to say. I do know the Mac K/B port is NOT a PS/2 port...might be compatible though?
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline olivier.nyc

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 01:40:42 »
this is the logo for ADB. so it must be Apple Desktop Bus.

looks like something like iMate might work...

if anyone had any success with this, please share. thanks.
Simplicity is a great virtue but requires hard work to achieve and education to appreciate.
And to make matters worse: complexity sells better. (EWD896)

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 02:15:42 »
Yep, the iMate has the correct port...so maybe it'll work after all? With the adapter of course! :thumb:
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 03:32:22 »
There is also this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 08:02:11 »
If you get an ADB to USB adapter, it'll work just fine.