Author Topic: [IC] 45-ATS Keyboard - Shipping  (Read 71165 times)

Offline Abec13

[IC] 45-ATS Keyboard - Shipping
« on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:23:32 »
Group Buy Page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103907.0

Welcome (back) to the Interest Check for the 45-ATS.
I've been away for a while.

Sorry about that.

Announcements

Aluminum prototypes have arrived and all is well, minor adjustments are being made. Working on pricing and GB date. ;) (Dec, 5 2019)

Ortho has been ditched for this board, sorry guys. I felt that with more and more ortho options hitting the market I'll be keeping this closer to what I had in mind for it. (P.S. Buy The Ave.)
As of right now looking to be 50 public slots with a combination of FCFS and raffle, 5 saved for auction.

Layout

Details
The 45-ATS is a layout I dreamed up when I was between my JD45 and KBD19X.
This board is a topmount design and rocks a 6 degree typing angle.
There will be no brass weight on this board and will only be produced in aluminum. For now.
Colors are on vote but guaranteed [E-White],[Black or Grey],[Silver].

Renders
These are the most recent renders that represent this keyboard.
I've learned a lot about case design since I started this and I thought some changes needed to be made.
While I was there, I thought I would change some of the aesthetic.
I rounded up the corners, made the front height lower if everything works out. Should be about 17mm.
LED indicators added.

VOTE AGAIN FOR COLORS HERE (BECAUSE I NEED EMAILS OOPS):
Interest Check Google Form

To do list:
Gauge new interest on colors to see if scope has changed (also because I forgot to collect emails last time lol).
Get artwork for PCB finished.
More renders.
More hype.
More teasing.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Timeline
Interest Check Created
Proto PCB and Proto 3D print cases ordered. Case changes made. Layout slightly changed.
PCBs are tested and working in 3D print case, ordered aluminum protos.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Shoutouts and credits:
Thanks for reading this far. Huge thanks to The Lazy Designers, Funderburker, Oldcat, Holtenc, Upas, Louis for guiding me and answering my pestering questions!
Thanks to Baron and Vox for the guidance on this project letting me learn from their mistakes cost free. :)

Also shout out to nat for letting me bother her with design options this whole time.

yes nat this is exactly the same format as the other IC page, thank you.

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 01:37:07 by Abec13 »
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline Abec13

Re: [IC] 45-ATS Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:24:12 »
Reserve
[/url]

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:31:10 »
Oh yeah!!

Offline fcoury

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:32:54 »
I want it right now. Most exciting project I've seen in a while!

Offline Depresso-the-clown

• yee haw
    • lmao it's literally just an instagram page
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:36:31 »
I like the idea of the indicator lights in between, really helps set a personality for the board, especially with basic colors. IE green LEDs to go with terminal, or a nice 3 color with beige. Plus, what's not to love about artisan slots on a board :raughs:
:thumb:

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:37:54 »
Honestly, I'd prefer it had one more column. having a single column on a layer annoys me more than being forced to have several like with typical ~40%
Still, very nice!
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:43:34 »
I love the layout. Offer a hot swap option and Via Configurator support, and I'm good to go. Navy blue would be a great color option, and I know you're a fan of the nice dark red, as I am. Nice job on the preliminary design, sir!

Offline Minterly

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:45:11 »
Brass Brass Brass Brass!

Offline PaultheSloth

• JW Double Black
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:45:36 »
Hit me up  :) :)
Polaris|Leaf60|QXP|DC60|Planck|SKB60|Tokyo60|UT-47|AnnePro

Offline badchad

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:47:58 »
Digging it! I might like this more than the TMO 50
BAD

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:48:25 »
Great design!

One comment, it looks like your plate mounting positions will result in a very rigid plate feel, which could defeat the purpose of top mount unless you go with brass (which is super rigid anyway) or something like PC or PBT (which is flexy no matter how you mount it).

I'm specifically looking at the mounting tab directly between the spacebar switch cutouts, and the two tabs very close together in the bottom right corner, although those are probably OK because they're under the arrow keys.

The way I see it, a plate can flex in two principal directions: "hotdog" (the front and back fold up to meet each other) and "hamburger" (the left and right fold up to meet each other). Since plates are generally mounted on the front and back, you generally don't have any "hamburger" flex, and any that arises is probably undesirable edge flex, unless the plate is a really flexible material like polycarbonate. So what you have left is "hotdog" flex, which in theory should be pretty consistent across the row, especially on the home row. My fear is that adding tabs on the sides of the plate (instead of just front/back) will impede this "hotdog" flex and defeat the purpose of top-mounting. OIf course, any flex will be less accentuated in a 40% than in a bigger keyboard (and again it probably doesn't matter at all with brass).

On the flipside, having mounting tabs on the edge could reduce resonant metallic sounds from the plate by preventing it from vibrating as freely.

Obviously this is quite a bit of speculation, but IMO it's worth thinking about. Hopefully there will be a prototype made (maybe 3d printed + cheap alu plate?) so this can be refined before the GB.

Edit: w/ respect to the options in IC poll, I would much, much prefer a "budget" all-aluminum, no-weight design. If the Brutal60 can be $200, this can be $150 +extra for brass plate and +extra for fancy case material like polycarbonate or all-brass. I really don't like the value of being premium for premium's sake. If the brass weight really adds something to the design, then include it. If not, then it's just as much of an afterthought as some kind of half-baked gasket mount. FR4 is also a very nice cheap plate option; you can still fancy it up by putting (lead-free) plating around the switch cutouts like in the No1.

Also a half-plate option could be very interesting here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:56:25 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline byoliven

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:49:50 »
Dark Purple or White in color plz

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:55:00 »
Reserved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline holtenc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:00:52 »
This is awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline PyroL

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:02:24 »
😍😍😍

Offline trabbit

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:03:23 »
Wow, this is a well designed 45% keeb.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:16:07 »
This is nearly identical to a project I've been procrastinating on since January  :)) :))

This is super clean. I love it!

Offline 6FeaT

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:20:05 »
Wow I really REALLY like this!

Completed the IC form, but I would love a PC (or other plastic) plate option. Maybe even a brass or alu half plate if no plastic

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:25:17 »
As long as it supports qmk, I'm in

Offline 6FeaT

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:34:11 »

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:44:34 »

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 22:10:01 »
This is a super clean design with a neat layout. Colour me interested!

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:16:26 »
I think I would like to see it with one more column but overall I love it. I don't care about PC or Brass versions at all, but a Brass weight would be cool.

LED indicator lights above the arrow keys would be sweet as well.

Looking forward to see how this progresses.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:24:20 »
So glad to see this making it to the IC stage!

Indicator lights would be awesome, in terms of the mounting points, that might be something lit to look into.

I’m not a big fan of the split space being asymmetric, I think a 2.25u and 2.75u side by side looks strange. I’m not sure how much it goes against the design philosophy or how it will effect the PCB layout, but what about making the split space be 2x 2u keys? Add an additional 1u to the right side, and then it gets some nice balance (imo). Alternatively, make it 2x 2.25u keys for split, and have 3x 1.25 on either side.
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline ItsAllen

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:29:16 »
Loving all of this. Could care less about a brass weight. Brass plate would be nice. LEDs are a super nice touch. PC would be nice since it’s afforable, at least I think so.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:30:09 »
One more "feature request" from me -- maybe offer 2.75/2.25 split space in addition to 2.25/2.75. That will make the spacebar split centered under B between F and J.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 01:11:09 »
Great job man, renders are damn fine. Rooting for this! :thumb:

Banned from R2 when that happens. :p You're now a "badbadchad" in my book.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 04:37:57 »
Looks great! I'd be in for the macropad option as well, since design suites like Maya and Illustrator eat macros for breakfast <3

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 06:19:21 »
Glad to see more small projects in the works. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 08:28:06 »
Aesthetically this looks incredible.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 08:49:23 »
Nice design.  :thumb:
I like it.

Offline BserLarry

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 10:22:53 »
Please include split space Hot swap please! Saves a lot of work from soldering =P

Offline badchad

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 11:52:27 »
Great job man, renders are damn fine. Rooting for this! :thumb:

Banned from R2 when that happens. :p You're now a "badbadchad" in my book.

You know, I just realized you could get a polycarb bottom TMO and now I'm on The Hunt for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 12:26:01 »
I'm a fan of 1800 and 40s so this is kinda the dream board for me. Reminds me of TMO50. All in no matter the price! :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 13:54:59 »
You got me hooked just reading through description alone. Then I saw the layout, damn!!!  :thumb:

Offline omgkittiesyay

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 16:25:31 »
Love the proposed layout and really hope the matching numpad makes it.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 01:40:12 »
I like it.  I thought the minivan might be my only 40%, but this could change my mind.

What happened to the question mark though?

The "Layout options" layout is very different, at least in terms of keys, than the keyboards you show.  For example, the key to the right of L changes.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Offline Astrasa

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 01:53:11 »
This looks really promising and love the addition for arrow keys on a 40, just what I need! Hoping poly gets enough movement that it will be considered for an option
Kyuu Proto | Quasi Alice | Duck Viper | Tx87-Se

Offline rope

• yeet
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 20:30:40 »
looks veryyy nice, please gib

Offline Abec13

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 21:20:40 »
I like it.  I thought the minivan might be my only 40%, but this could change my mind.

What happened to the question mark though?

The "Layout options" layout is very different, at least in terms of keys, than the keyboards you show.  For example, the key to the right of L changes.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Well really, it will be QMK, every key can be whatever you want it to be when you program it. It seems many people like colons where they belong. i, on the other hand, like quotations there because it's used more frequently.
[/url]

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 21:38:40 »

Well really, it will be QMK, every key can be whatever you want it to be when you program it. It seems many people like colons where they belong. i, on the other hand, like quotations there because it's used more frequently.

217084-0

Offline adotm

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 12:11:48 »
Any chance of doing a wireless Bluetooth version? I'd love this for my HTPC!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:25:50 »
One more column wouldn't really hurt that much, and it saves tons of hassle with designing layers. Other than that not a fan of premium addons for premium's sake and overkill pricing, so KISS and I'm in ;-)

Offline Abec13

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 16:49:39 »
One more column wouldn't really hurt that much, and it saves tons of hassle with designing layers. Other than that not a fan of premium addons for premium's sake and overkill pricing, so KISS and I'm in ;-)

In my opinion I think that two columns to the right is branching too close to the mini 1800 that you should see and IC for here from a friend of the 40s discord. I think with layering 1 row is the correct choice for both aesthetic and practical purposes.

Any chance of doing a wireless Bluetooth version? I'd love this for my HTPC!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think so. I'll be designing the PCB and I just don't think I'm at that level yet. This is, after all, my first board project. I can't say it won't happen for sure but I would not place any bets on it.
[/url]

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 00:27:42 »

In my opinion I think that two columns to the right is branching too close to the mini 1800 that you should see and IC for here from a friend of the 40s discord. I think with layering 1 row is the correct choice for both aesthetic and practical purposes.

Oh, you misunderstood. I didn't mean making the 3-key block on the right 6-key, I meant adding one column to the alpha block. That way, you don't have to omit anything while mapping basic characters...

Offline Abec13

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:54:38 »

Oh, you misunderstood. I didn't mean making the 3-key block on the right 6-key, I meant adding one column to the alpha block. That way, you don't have to omit anything while mapping basic characters...

I understand what you're saying, now.

I considered this when I was mapping this together. I think that moving into that area, that's too many keys. With DSA (or any uniform profile) allowing any key placement I think 45s go really far considering how much some people get done with 40s. A 50, I think, is too oblong. Width wise, the TMO50 occupies as much space as a THE50 not accounting for the bezel yet incorporates almost an entire numberpad because the THE50 uses a 40-base.

Just my take on it.  :D

Additional note: this 45-style makes it so that there are just enough keys between tab and enter for 0, 1-9 too. Also intentional.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:58:11 by Abec13 »
[/url]

Offline amaddo

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 09:28:21 »
This keyboard is very beautiful.
I am fascinated by this keyboard now.
It is also wonderful to be compatible with QMK, I already imagine the key map in my head!!!
I think good for LED indicators.

Offline Kuervo

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 15:12:11 »
I love this, I'd be in if it got to the GB stage

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:36:26 »
Love the idea of the ortholinear layout! If you add that as an option I'll def. be in  :thumb:

Offline D0oms_Ninth_Cat

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 15:48:19 »
Love the idea of the ortholinear layout! If you add that as an option I'll def. be in  :thumb:
+1 make the ortho PCB happen!